Pages:
Author

Topic: In the gun debate who do you think is the most stupid? - page 5. (Read 15506 times)

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

Where it really breaks down, though, is that the "sheep" can provide the sheepdogs with kibble directly, and there's no real need for a farmer. In fact, that's a lot better than trusting a farmer, who might mistake a wolf for a sheepdog, thus endangering the whole flock.

Where it really breaks down is that without the breeding and training from the farmer, the sheepdog is just a wolf himself. But the metaphor really isn't meant to be stretched that far.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
I go to bed and wake up and now it's sheep dogs and sheep? In a thread about how crazy the gun control discussions yet? Comedy gold!

Not that it matters, but if we're all going to be sheepdogs or sheep, I'm going to be the farmer. Or better yet, someone only related to farm activities. The local vet maybe. Anyone here not been fixed yet?

Perhaps you should consider reading the link I provided that explains that analogy, before you go and make a fool of yourself?

Just a thought.

No, my point was that it has nothing to do with the OP.

It certainly does.  Try reading the link.

Perhaps later when I'm not racing out the door to work, and when I have more time for rhetoric.

I did give it another quick glance though, and there's no mention of who the farmer is. Seriously, if you're going to be a sheepdog you're protecting sheep on someone's behalf, usually a farmer. Who is the farmer? Is this another religious thing that I'm just not going to get?

The analogy breaks down if you try to stretch it too far. but the best analog for the farmer would be the government/politicians.

Where it really breaks down, though, is that the "sheep" can provide the sheepdogs with kibble directly, and there's no real need for a farmer. In fact, that's a lot better than trusting a farmer, who might mistake a wolf for a sheepdog, thus endangering the whole flock.
legendary

Perhaps later when I'm not racing out the door to work, and when I have more time for rhetoric.

I did give it another quick glance though, and there's no mention of who the farmer is. Seriously, if you're going to be a sheepdog you're protecting sheep on someone's behalf, usually a farmer. Who is the farmer? Is this another religious thing that I'm just not going to get?

Hmm, benefits from the labor of the sheepdog and slaughters the sheep? Gotta be a politician.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
I go to bed and wake up and now it's sheep dogs and sheep? In a thread about how crazy the gun control discussions yet? Comedy gold!

Not that it matters, but if we're all going to be sheepdogs or sheep, I'm going to be the farmer. Or better yet, someone only related to farm activities. The local vet maybe. Anyone here not been fixed yet?

Perhaps you should consider reading the link I provided that explains that analogy, before you go and make a fool of yourself?

Just a thought.

legendary
Back to the topic of the thread...

Gun owners mostly want to be left alone. By immediately trying to use a tragedy to push their agenda, gun control advocates have incited gun owners to respond and, perhaps more importantly, caused gun owners, in anticipation of restrictive legislation, to purchase guns and ammunition to the point that many stores are low on stock. Thus, by their actions, they have caused more of what they oppose.

So...

I didn't vote Cool
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010

Just a thought.

donator
Poor impulse control.

Just a thought.

legendary

Just a thought.
Not that it matters, but if we're all going to be sheepdogs or sheep, I'm going to be the farmer.

Running for office, then?
donator
Poor impulse control.

legendary
All my firearms spend the vast majority of their time locked in a rather large safe, because they are valuable.  The rest of the time, they are shooting at paper. I don't hunt, myself.

No, 'they' do not because 'they' are not 'they', but "it". Like Myrkul, you are assigning a human quality to an inanimate object (pathetic fallacy)

You are trying to free yourself from criticism by transferring the moral conduct from yourself to the firearm. So, to avoid criticism, you typed 'the rest of the time, they are shooting at paper', which implies the intention to shoot at papers come from the firearm and not from you.

That was literary license, since I'm not the only one who utilizes my firearms to sling lead and copper at paper.  I was not anamorphasizing, get past it.

I'm a sheepdog among a flock of sheep, and I'm fully aware of that.  Many of those here that defend the personal ownership of weaponry are also sheepdogs.  You might not like the idea that we are around, but we are necessary for your peaceful society to continue to exist; whether or not we may be wearing a uniform.

A "sheep" society can exist without "sheepdogs". The "sheepdog" is not an essential element for the "sheep" society to exist. Your analogy is based on the false premise that without "sheepdogs", a "sheep" society would cease to exist. This is untrue and do not serve as argument to justify the right to own a gun for personal use.

It's not at all untrue.  It's provablely so, both today and across history.  No matter where you live, sheepdogs surround you, protect you, watch your borders & city streets while you sleep.  There is not now, and there never has been, an exception to this at any point across human history.  None.  Perhaps someday the wolves can be purged from human nature forever, and the sheepdogs will no longer be necessary, but I doubt it.  It's more likely, as Murkul pointed out, that a society dominated by sheepdogs develops that doesn't require a coordinating force (governments) to direct and monitor the sheepdogs; and doesn't suffer wolves to live.
The military culture was not for me either, but I do enjoy shooting, and also understand that the judicious use of force is a cornerstone of civilization; and the rifle is the king of personal weapons.

That is the only part where you properly justify your right to own a gun.

I did not even attempt to justify my right.  I do not require your approval or your concent to excersize any of my rights.  That's what makes them rights.

It is reasonable to own a gun to enjoy shoot at papers?

Yes, its is quite reasonable.

No, it's not.  It's reasonable because I have the right.  Period.  So do you, BTW; even though you are prevented from your rights by threat of force.

It is reasonable to own a gun because a "sheep" society could not exist without a "sheepdog" shooting at papers?

No, it is quite unreasonable and fallacious.

Again, that is not why I have the right.  I have the right because I have the right to self-defense; and the right to the most effective means of same.  Whether or not society at large benefits or not from that is entirely irrelevant.
You mean like this?

they
plural pronoun, possessive their or theirs, objective them.
1. nominative plural of he, she, and it.
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
AugustoCroppo has lapsed past argumentation, and into comedy.

If you're going to debate the meaning of words, you might want to learn them, first. Wink

Myrkul, you should suggest this to yourself due your constantly subversion of established concepts. A dictionary was not designed to merely display words and numbers, but to inform readers of correct definitions. It main purpose is to preserve the meaning of the words, not to rest in a shelf. You should try one, it will not hurt you.
AugustoCroppo has lapsed past argumentation, and into comedy.

If you're going to debate the meaning of words, you might want to learn them, first. Wink
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
All my firearms spend the vast majority of their time locked in a rather large safe, because they are valuable.  The rest of the time, they are shooting at paper. I don't hunt, myself.

No, 'they' do not because 'they' are not 'they', but "it". Like Myrkul, you are assigning a human quality to an inanimate object (pathetic fallacy)

You are trying to free yourself from criticism by transferring the moral conduct from yourself to the firearm. So, to avoid criticism, you typed 'the rest of the time, they are shooting at paper', which implies the intention to shoot at papers come from the firearm and not from you. Then, because you do not hunt (and therefore, you do not kill), you can safely transfer back to you the moral conduct and avoid any criticism. In other words, when your premise can become target of criticism you assign your conduct to the firearm, when your premise cannot become target of criticism you do not assign your conduct to the firearm.

I'm a sheepdog among a flock of sheep, and I'm fully aware of that.  Many of those here that defend the personal ownership of weaponry are also sheepdogs.  You might not like the idea that we are around, but we are necessary for your peaceful society to continue to exist; whether or not we may be wearing a uniform.

A "sheep" society can exist without "sheepdogs". The "sheepdog" is not an essential element for the "sheep" society to exist. Your analogy is based on the false premise that without "sheepdogs", a "sheep" society would cease to exist. This is untrue and do not serve as argument to justify the right to own a gun for personal use.

The military culture was not for me either, but I do enjoy shooting, and also understand that the judicious use of force is a cornerstone of civilization; and the rifle is the king of personal weapons.

That is the only part where you properly justify your right to own a gun.

It is reasonable to own a gun to enjoy shoot at papers?

Yes, its is quite reasonable.

It is reasonable to own a gun because a "sheep" society could not exist without a "sheepdog" shooting at papers?

No, it is quite unreasonable and fallacious.
Wonder what sort of government a nation of sheepdogs would engender.

I know where you want to go with this, and ancap is off-topic in this thread.  Still, I don't disagree with your conclusions, I just don't see a way to get there from where we are.

And I think that there would always be a percentage of the population that would simply prefer to be sheep.  Ignorance is truely bliss.

Well, I don't want to derail this scintillating discussion, so I'll just state that AnCap was not my goal in stating that, though it certainly does make sense that you would go there.

In response to the "no path from here to there," we have that covered, and those that are content to be sheep are welcome to select their own sheepdogs, so long as they do not attempt to force that decision on others.

Now back to our regularly scheduled bickering.
legendary

I know where you want to go with this, and ancap is off-topic in this thread.  Still, I don't disagree with your conclusions, I just don't see a way to get there from where we are.

And I think that there would always be a percentage of the population that would simply prefer to be sheep.  Ignorance is truely bliss.
legendary
In support of my prior claims....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9875875

Handgun purchasers with at least 1 prior misdemeanor conviction were more than 7 times as likely as those with no prior criminal history to be charged with a new offense after handgun purchase (RR, 7.5; 95% confidence interval. Among men, those with 2 or more prior convictions for misdemeanor violence were at greatest risk for nonviolent firearm-related offenses such as weapon carrying, violent offenses generally, and Violent Crime Index offenses (murder or non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, or aggravated assault). However, even handgun purchasers with only 1 prior misdemeanor conviction and no convictions for offenses involving firearms or violence were nearly 5 times as likely as those with no prior criminal history to be charged with new offenses involving firearms or violence.

Looking into the methods, misdemeanor traffic violations were generally excluded from the study, as some states consider moving violations to be misdemeanors and others do not.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvmurd.html

This last one...

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/race.cfm

...focuses mostly upon the race of the victim and the assailant, but is also useful for pointing out a related stat.  That certain subcultures (I don't believe that the actual concentration of melatonin has anything to do with this) are more prone to produce violently inclined adults than others.  While race is a general indicator of sub-cultural background, it's certainly not absolute.

Still, if you exclude all minorities from these statistics, a white adult is less likely to be murdered, per capita, in the United States than in Europe.  That is not to say that either is at all likely, nor that either is actually more safe generally; but the argument that the gun culture in the US contributes to an increased risk for any particular person (of European decent or cultural background) is without any statistically significant merit.

As an aside, white people are much more likely to be murdered by poisoning in the United States than by firearm.

EDIT: I might be reading that last stat incorrectly, but it's certainly a lot more likely than I would have assumed, myself.
You might not like the idea that we are around, but we are necessary for your peaceful society to continue to exist; whether or not we may be wearing a uniform.

And if you knock the teeth out of every sheepdog except the ones in uniform, then the wolves won't be content to hide in sheep's clothing. They'll want sheepdog's clothing.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow.

legendary

Sure. But if you didn't own a gun, you wouldn't feel safe.

I don't believe that is generally true.  It's certainly not true for myself.  I've never felt unsafe, before or after owning firearms.  That's simply statisticly untrue in general.  I'm much more likely to die in a auto accident, and I know it.  All my firearms spend the vast majority of their time locked in a rather large safe, because they are valuable.  The rest of the time, they are shooting at paper.  I don't hunt, myself.  I do have a concealed carry license, but rarely carry at all.  I have the weapons, and the license, in the event that I ever do feel that I should need to carry.  I've never seen civil unrest in this city, but my father has, and I strongly suspect that he participated.  My father is actually fairly anti-gun, being a product of the 60's peace/love culture.  I'm not anti-gun because I joined the USMC at 17, partialy out of rebellion to my childhood.  The military culture was not for me either, but I do enjoy shooting, and also understand that the judicious use of force is a cornerstone of civilization; and the rifle is the king of personal weapons.  I'm a sheepdog among a flock of sheep, and I'm fully aware of that.  Many of those here that defend the personal ownership of weaponry are also sheepdogs.  You might not like the idea that we are around, but we are necessary for your peaceful society to continue to exist; whether or not we may be wearing a uniform.

That said, you are no more "safe" in a society that prohibits you, as a common civilian, from owning or carrying personal weaponry than I am in a society with a long and deep gun culture.  However you might feel about that is actually quite irrelevant.

http://www.gleamingedge.com/mirrors/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html
Pages:
Jump to: