Author

Topic: I/O Coin - Ticker: IOC - Stealth Blockchain Ecosystem - Dions - Chameleon - page 118. (Read 719184 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1013
HI JC,

If possible maybe make another post, with more clear steps for us Pi noobies please, running the jessie OS.

That would be great, thank you.

go slow and read carefully...its pretty clear.
everything seems to be working fine except for syncing.....
I have a model p1 B where I ran bootstrap.dat for around 12 hrs...and I couldn't wait any longer and restarted....blockchain  loaded about 60% and is now syncing with nodes ( ran overnight) and now up to 70%.....slowwwwww...looks like it may take another day
Yesterday at around noon I started setup on newer model p2 b...bootstrap.dat on that machine has been importing since around 1:00 pm ...so around 21 hours. like watching paint dry

Importing the block chain from the bootstrap.dat took about 12 hours on a Core i7 notebook during a test. So yes it takes a long time to import 730k blocks. It is still shorter though than a native sync.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
HI JC,

If possible maybe make another post, with more clear steps for us Pi noobies please, running the jessie OS.

go slow and read carefully...its pretty clear.
everything seems to be working fine except for syncing.....
I have a model p1 B where I ran bootstrap.dat for around 12 hrs...and I couldn't wait any longer and restarted....blockchain  loaded about 60% and is now syncing with nodes ( ran overnight) and now up to 70%.....slowwwwww...looks like it may take another day
Yesterday at around noon I started setup on newer model p2 b...bootstrap.dat on that machine has been importing since around 1:00 pm ...so around 21 hours. like watching paint dry
Activity: 527
Merit: 500
Blockchain!!!
Hi,

Installing my PI today. What i have seen is that if you download and install the Jessie image from the raspberry website, it works like a charm. Boots instantly when i added the boot to the memory card using ApplePi-Baker. BUT!

The image that you restore sets a very small storage availability. In my case i have a 16 GB SD card, but after loading the image to the SD card, it said to have 150MB storage. The installer failed a few times saying there was not enough storage so i started debugging. This is the result.

So before you start the installer script on the raspberry, be sure to expand your storage to the max on the raspberry. I used raspi-config in de command window to expand the storage. After using that commando i have 16GB available again.

Now installing....

Cheers
Richard

See posts 2635, 2636 and 2639 above Smiley

yeah, thanks. you are right. So much to read ;-)
Activity: 770
Merit: 511
Im the One who Knocks.
HI JC,

legendary
Hi,

Installing my PI today. What i have seen is that if you download and install the Jessie image from the raspberry website, it works like a charm. Boots instantly when i added the boot to the memory card using ApplePi-Baker. BUT!

The image that you restore sets a very small storage availability. In my case i have a 16 GB SD card, but after loading the image to the SD card, it said to have 150MB storage. The installer failed a few times saying there was not enough storage so i started debugging. This is the result.

So before you start the installer script on the raspberry, be sure to expand your storage to the max on the raspberry. I used raspi-config in de command window to expand the storage. After using that commando i have 16GB available again.

Now installing....

Cheers
Richard

See posts 2635, 2636 and 2639 above Smiley
Im the One who Knocks.
Hi,

Now installing....

Cheers
Richard

Thank you for the advice Richard, great to see a good explanation, the more the better as i will need as much useful info as i can get / read when i write the guide.

All the best.
Blockchain!!!
Hi,

Now installing....

Cheers
Richard
just to report,

im using debian 8 Jessie because you can run the familiar qt wallet with it

the execution file provided by jc works like a charm...took about an hour or so to run

now im in the middle of importing bootstrap.dat. it does take along time...going on three hours already

im using a pi 1 model b (512k ram single core processor) so maybe that accounts all the sluggishness....so much so I think I need to pick up the pi 2 b

as soon as its synced i'll be sending over some coin and begin staking
legendary

How do you enable firewall with Jessie OS please?

Just execute "sudo ufw enable" at the command prompt. By default it disables all incoming connections, but will allow outgoing connections.
Blockchain!!!
wow its raspberry pi mania here. Now i got get one and check it out.

Getting mine tomorrow ;-) Pi Mania it is.
Im the One who Knocks.
finally after fixing configuration on size of sd card everything seems perfect.

wow awesome. thank you jc

only problem Im having now is downloading bootstrap file....so im just letting it sync for now.

Great.

What problem do you have with downloading the bootstrap file?
I was not sure how to download in Linux...so I downloaded on windows machine and copied it to usb and transferred to pi.

I put the file, bootstrap.dat in the iocoin folder.... /home/pi/opt/iocoin... but when I open the wallet it starts downloading blockchain from the beginning.

did I put in wrong place

Yes. You must put the bootstrap.dat file in the ~/.iocoin folder (/home/pi/.iocoin), there where your iocoin.conf and wallet.dat files are.

PS: Also remember to enable your firewall (sudo ufw enable)

How do you enable firewall with Jessie OS please?

Also what Pi Screens would you recommend? There are many to chosoe from, do they all need PSU?  Or some just run of the usb?

Thank you.
legendary

only problem Im having now is downloading bootstrap file....so im just letting it sync for now.

Great.

I was not sure how to download in Linux...so I downloaded on windows machine and copied it to usb and transferred to pi.

I put the file, bootstrap.dat in the iocoin folder.... /home/pi/opt/iocoin... but when I open the wallet it starts downloading blockchain from the beginning.

did I put in wrong place

Yes. You must put the bootstrap.dat file in the ~/.iocoin folder (/home/pi/.iocoin), there where your iocoin.conf and wallet.dat files are.

PS: Also remember to enable your firewall (sudo ufw enable)

Great.

did I put in wrong place

legendary

Great.

legendary
JC
#6 you can password protect the Pi i presume, so you dont need anti-virus on it?

The Pi password has nothing to do with anti-virus. The Pi like any Linux/Unix machine has many things that can be configured for security and security practices that can be followed. Part of the domain covers good password management and another malware management if you want to go to that level of depth.

#7 "at the command prompt" do you first have to open the command prompt?

When the Pi boots up from the card it ends at a command prompt after you authenticated your user account. It is not something that has to be "opened". The GUI on the other hand has to be started, either manually or automatically during boot.

Also JC, is it possible to have everything on a memory card for a user to simply put the card inside the Pi "boot" it and the wallet will be there like desktop to click and run?

If you execute the script I posted on a raw Jessie loaded Pi it does exactly that - the wallet is there as an icon on the desktop to run. However it requires some preparation of the card as well as downloading the blockchain. It is possible to make an 8GB image of a prepared card that if burned to another card will boot up to a fully prepared Pi with the new card. The image is 8GB and could be burned to a card for someone or the person can download it and burn it to his card on his own.

I am thinking if it is too difficult for people, i, or yourself could install everything on one card to  sell (at more or less cost) to people here, to make it as easy as possible for them to use the QT wallet (hopefully in future, the HTML wallet also)on the Pi

I dont think anything should be sold as a principle. if there is a server that can take 8GB files with lots of bandwidth, people can rather download the image and burn to their cards. Or if someone can start a bittorent with the image it can also work p2p. it is possible to burn the 8GB image to  larger card and just resize the partition to the max of the new card.
Im the One who Knocks.
can I ask what size sd card you are using. I just ran the script for Jessie on an 8gb card, and at end ..error message came up that there was not enough space to make directories ....hmmm. am now trying with 16gb
also the model pi I am using has 512 ram....will that be an issue?

I have tested the script on an 8GB card and it works perfectly. The installation takes about 500MB of space excluding the blockchain.  You might have made a mistake with preparation of the SD card.

You have to do the following things:
1. Download the Raspbian Jessie image https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest
2. Unzip and burn the image to your card, 8GB or higher. You get different tools for this and if you use a Mac you can use Apple Pi Baker v1.81
3. Boot up from the card and do the setup.
4. At the command prompt run sudo raspi-config
5. In raspi-config click on expand file system so that your whole card becomes one big partition. This will leave about 3.5GB free of the 8GB card and you will have ample space for the script.
6. You can also setup other things in raspi-config like your localized settings, hostname, password etc.
7. This is most probably a superfluous comment, but at the command prompt type startx to bring up the graphical interface where you can then launch the Qt wallet.

Regarding your question on the 512MB memory - I do not have an older ARM6 processor Pi with 512MB memory so I cannot tell you if it will work. Chances are good though that it will work on your version.

2- Read here > https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/  
on how to write a image to a memory card (all good fun to learn) for windows, mac and linux.

It is quite technical, but i hope to be able to write a full step by step guide by this time next week, along with a you tube vio and screen shots step by step

JC
#6 you can password protect the Pi i presume, so you dont need anti-virus on it?
#7 "at the command prompt" do you first have to open the command prompt?

Also IOC Pi Stakers, make sure to bookmark this page > http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/15-useful-commands-every-raspberry-pi-user-should-know/

Also join groups for Pi's and on Facebook there are several. (in many languages)

It is like anything, tricky at first, but soon will become second nature.

Also JC, is it possible to have everything on a memory card for a user to simply put the card inside the Pi "boot" it and the wallet will be there like desktop to click and run?

I am thinking if it is too difficult for people, i, or yourself could install everything on one card to  sell (at more or less cost) to people here, to make it as easy as possible for them to use the QT wallet (hopefully in future, the HTML wallet also)on the Pi
can I ask what size sd card you are using. I just ran the script for Jessie on an 8gb card, and at end ..error message came up that there was not enough space to make directories ....hmmm. am now trying with 16gb

I have tested the script on an 8GB card and it works perfectly. The installation takes about 500MB of space excluding the blockchain.  You might have made a mistake with preparation of the SD card.

1. Download the Raspbian Jessie image https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest
2. Unzip and burn the image to your card, 8GB or higher. You get different tools for this and if you use a Mac you can use Apple Pi Baker v1.81
5. In raspi-config click on expand file system so that your whole card becomes one big partition. This will leave about 3.5GB free of the 8GB card and you will have ample space for the script.
6. You can also setup other things in raspi-config like your localized settings, hostname, password etc.

Regarding your question on the 512MB memory - I do not have an older ARM6 processor Pi with 512MB memory so I cannot tell you if it will work. Chances are good though that it will work on your version.
looks like I never expanded file system, which I just did. thanks.

windows  - using sd formatter V4.0 and win32disk imager

in regards to options settings on sd formatter....should "format size adjustment" be on or off? I saw a video which said to set to "on"
legendary

I have tested the script on an 8GB card and it works perfectly. The installation takes about 500MB of space excluding the blockchain.  You might have made a mistake with preparation of the SD card.

7. This is most probably a superfluous comment, but at the command prompt type startx to bring up the graphical interface where you can then launch the Qt wallet.

Blockchain!!!
I was wondering. Could the PI also work with the HTML5 wallet?
Jump to: