Author

Topic: I/O Coin - Ticker: IOC - Stealth Blockchain Ecosystem - Dions - Chameleon - page 117. (Read 719184 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 511
Im the One who Knocks.

Is it possinle Richard that you can copy your files from the memory card, upload them somewhere to share them and other people cna easy  copy them to a new card.

this would makes things really east and i think its a great idea.

I dont think that is possible. then you will have my IOC address (wallet.dat) on the PI.
Maybe if I delete wallet.dat and the first time you fire up the wallet, then it (probably) will create a new wallet.dat
I dont know for sure..

It is possible to do this. One can make a generically prepared card with everything installed except the wallet.dat. An image is then made of the card which is uploaded or shared via bittorrent. The file will be 8GB though as its only drawback.

8gb is fine, i can download that in about 2hrs here.  JC would it be something you would consider doing? As you seem the most technical for the job Smiley i am sure we could get a few extra tips for you. Thank you

Also, it can inslucde a new wallet.dat file, the new user can then simply paste in their wallet.dat

Sure. Ill make the image.

Thank you that will be great, just trying to install it this way first.

QUESTION:  Do i just downloaded the QT installation then copy it to the memory card, just copy and paste it there?

In your instructions, there is no instructions mentioning the QT file.

Can someone here post normal instructions please.

So far.

1- Download the latest version of raspbian with Jessie (easy)
2 - download Win32diskimager  (easy)
3- open disk imager then find the raspbian file you just downloaded and select the file to write to memory card  (no problems there)
4 - remove memory card and put it into the raspberry pi.
5 - start the pi.

NOTE: on my pi after booting it went straight to the "home screen".  Where all i had was  a image of the waste basket.
also the date and time was wrong, maybe i have to connect to the internet first and not think it will automatically detect network? (using wifi dongle)

ok, so i thought it was very strange this "new" pi did not even go to a log in "screen" nothing, just straight to desktop.

So downloading SD Formatter to clean this 8gb memory card, then i will install raspbian

What i do not understand, is how i get the iocoin qt on the pi?

But before this  i also have to configure the edit dongle, which is half a day job it seems. i can only connect the pi to the TV as i do not have a monitor
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1013

Is it possinle Richard that you can copy your files from the memory card, upload them somewhere to share them and other people cna easy  copy them to a new card.

I dont think that is possible. then you will have my IOC address (wallet.dat) on the PI.
Maybe if I delete wallet.dat and the first time you fire up the wallet, then it (probably) will create a new wallet.dat
I dont know for sure..

It is possible to do this. One can make a generically prepared card with everything installed except the wallet.dat. An image is then made of the card which is uploaded or shared via bittorrent. The file will be 8GB though as its only drawback.

8gb is fine, i can download that in about 2hrs here.  JC would it be something you would consider doing? As you seem the most technical for the job Smiley i am sure we could get a few extra tips for you. Thank you

Also, it can inslucde a new wallet.dat file, the new user can then simply paste in their wallet.dat

Sure. Ill make the image.
Im the One who Knocks.

I dont know for sure..

8gb is fine, i can download that in about 2hrs here.  JC would it be something you would consider doing? As you seem the most technical for the job Smiley i am sure we could get a few extra tips for you. Thank you

legendary

I dont know for sure..

Im the One who Knocks.
Raspberry Pi Stakers !

Cna you please post pictures on Facebook and Twitter to help bring more attention to I/OCOin  (thats what i will be doing).

Also, maybe you know someone who does 3D printing?

How awesome would it look to have a Pi2 case in IOC's colours with a IOC logo on the front! (very awesome!)

Thank you.
Activity: 966
Merit: 550
I'd like to point out a small error on the iocoin webpage. Under "management" you see Richard, Sam and Joel. Under Joel's description you see "Joel founded I/O Coin July 2015" Shouldn't that be July 2014 ?
I agree, it's a minor typing error but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Cheers,

Springfield
Im the One who Knocks.

Is it possinle Richard that you can copy your files from the memory card, upload them somewhere to share them and other people cna easy  copy them to a new card.

I dont know for sure..

Exactly.  You have the memory card, remove your wallet.dat  so it creates a new one when a user starts it up for the first time or even better, do tis before you move "your" wallet.dat into the new file.

Then all should be good.

JC what are your thoughts on this?
Activity: 527
Merit: 500
Blockchain!!!

Is it possinle Richard that you can copy your files from the memory card, upload them somewhere to share them and other people cna easy  copy them to a new card.

I dont know for sure..

Im the One who Knocks.
Great to hear the Pi's are working.   But i think for other people, non too techy, surely once you have all the info on the memory card, you can simply make a copy of it onto other card, so people just need to insert the card and they will be ready to go.

This would mean they would only need to load the blockchain from the date the card was made, then simply cut and paste in their wallet file, so veyr easy to do.

Many thanks Simon.

PS: @mrwhitebites: The logo Butterfly thingy it is not a clue or anything. I'm just producing a lot of stuff to support the brand long term. More to come.

This make me sad, i thought you guys had joined up with this Venture Capital company  Undecided
Blockchain!!!
@mrwhitebites: The logo Butterfly thingy it is not a clue or anything. I'm just producing a lot of stuff to support the brand long term. More to come.

@cohnhead: did you get the PI up and running? Mine is just synced (after three days) and now staking.
I tried the Bootstrap, but that took two days as well and wasn't sure if that would do it. So cancelled that and started the normal sync.

For non-techies it could be pretty hard to set it up. Especially if you enable the firewall with boot-up entrances in iptables to enable XRDP (remote desktop) from specific ip's only. But then again, maybe a PI is not for everybody.

Cheers
Richard

Yes it takes about 3 days for a straight sync on Pi. Bootstrap slightly less and bootstrap on PC about 12 hours. It is what happens when chains get longer. BTC itself can take weeks. BTC "solved" that with headers only sync. It is something you could consider as the chain grows.

The "headers" solution is something we already consider to implement. Bootstrap is one, but headers only is the second one. Especially when we have the data on the chain.
We have a strategy worked out for that. Not everybody wants to stake and possibly have x amount of GB on their pc. So then we introduce something we call HD wallets. Wallets straight from the chain (online wallet) for light weight users. We also looking into a "supernode" structure where people can actively help out the network when it grows. All based for future growth. Joel and Sam can elaborate on this some more because its their field of experience and responsibility.

ps. my PI is synced and received the first 100 IOC! ;-)
legendary
@mrwhitebites: The logo Butterfly thingy it is not a clue or anything. I'm just producing a lot of stuff to support the brand long term. More to come.

@cohnhead: did you get the PI up and running? Mine is just synced (after three days) and now staking.
I tried the Bootstrap, but that took two days as well and wasn't sure if that would do it. So cancelled that and started the normal sync.

For non-techies it could be pretty hard to set it up. Especially if you enable the firewall with boot-up entrances in iptables to enable XRDP (remote desktop) from specific ip's only. But then again, maybe a PI is not for everybody.

Cheers
Richard

Yes it takes about 3 days for a straight sync on Pi. Bootstrap slightly less and bootstrap on PC about 12 hours. It is what happens when chains get longer. BTC itself can take weeks. BTC "solved" that with headers only sync. It is something you could consider as the chain grows.
Blockchain!!!

Cheers
Richard
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
We like butterflies and we love Blockchain technology.
What if we combine these two?

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idxQjSzzEFI

Seeding Blockchain with the help of lovely butterflies.

Beautiful Short Video.

I do presume that this is an obvious hint to announce I/O Digital has secured Seeding from Butterfly Ventures?
If so a BIG congratulations in is order, i'm sure you will make a great partnership and one Butterfly Ventres can boast about.

Read more about Butterfly Ventures here > http://butterfly.vc/

I hope i'm right, I/OCoin has finally evolved from the Caterpillar and IOC can continue to grow and become world famous thanks to the help of Butterfly Ventures.

it a beautiful video, but this one is too.....
was I too busy with my pi to notice? was this already posted this in this forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II3TJx9Y7CY
kudos to the guys and or gals that made that
Im the One who Knocks.

Beautiful Short Video.

I do presume that this is an obvious hint to announce I/O Digital has secured Seeding from Butterfly Ventures?
If so a BIG congratulations in is order, i'm sure you will make a great partnership and one Butterfly Ventres can boast about.

Read more about Butterfly Ventures here > http://butterfly.vc/

I hope i'm right, I/OCoin has finally evolved from the Caterpillar and IOC can continue to grow and become world famous thanks to the help of Butterfly Ventures.

PS: Love the other video also, i am going to get many people like and share it! I hope other community members here can subscribe to the
I/OCoin You Tube Channel and like and share the vidoes, thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKPPtpIi8B2EpNY00Tu-HFQ

PPS: I/O Digital Team, edit your channel so you have a Channel Name EG:  https: //www. youtube.com/channel/IODigital

Blockchain!!!

Blockchain!!!
is there any way to have the HTML5 wallet running on PI?
Should be possible right?

You have to ask yourself first what is the purpose of an HTML wallet and how such a wallet will achieve the coins goals and objectives. A new type of wallet could for example improve user experience by being able to transact faster, be more secure, transact quicker on the move, use less space by being thin or whatever you are trying to achieve. You will then have to ask yourself if having an HTML wallet on a Pi will realise those same advantages for the user. If not then it might be best to remain with the current wallet on the Pi as the advantage of Pi is to have a wallet at low energy usage mostly for staking at long intervals.

I understand your reasoning. The QT wallet (in current state) will be discontinued in development when we release the latest HTML5 wallet. So everything is based around the HTML5 wallet. We will not keep the QT just for staking purposes on Pi. I'm not sure if the used QT will continue to work later on. Did you see our current HTML5 wallet? It also uses a daemon, wallet.dat etc like QT. Only another interface.

Cheers
Richard
legendary

You have to ask yourself first what is the purpose of an HTML wallet and how such a wallet will achieve the coins goals and objectives. A new type of wallet could for example improve user experience by being able to transact faster, be more secure, transact quicker on the move, use less space by being thin or whatever you are trying to achieve. You will then have to ask yourself if having an HTML wallet on a Pi will realise those same advantages for the user. If not then it might be best to remain with the current wallet on the Pi as the advantage of Pi is to have a wallet at low energy usage mostly for staking at long intervals.
Im the One who Knocks.

Hi Richard,

Will the new wallet run with the same "foundation code" as the previous HTML?  Or will it use different code, just wondering if JC looked at the other wallet, if he would not have to change things when the new one it out.
Blockchain!!!
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
HI JC,

If possible maybe make another post, with more clear steps for us Pi noobies please, running the jessie OS.

That would be great, thank you.

go slow and read carefully...its pretty clear.
everything seems to be working fine except for syncing.....
I have a model p1 B where I ran bootstrap.dat for around 12 hrs...and I couldn't wait any longer and restarted....blockchain  loaded about 60% and is now syncing with nodes ( ran overnight) and now up to 70%.....slowwwwww...looks like it may take another day
Yesterday at around noon I started setup on newer model p2 b...bootstrap.dat on that machine has been importing since around 1:00 pm ...so around 21 hours. like watching paint dry

Importing the block chain took about 12 hours on a Core i7 notebook. So yes it takes a long time to import 730k blocks. It is still shorter though than a native sync.

thanks for that.....thought I was doing something wrong. Native sync on my older pi looks like it could as long as 4-5 days....so the bootstrap certainly gave it a big head start!

i'll be patient with the other pi and just wait until import finishes.

again your help has been awesome
Jump to: