Author

Topic: IOTA - page 523. (Read 1473233 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
June 13, 2016, 11:48:51 AM
Do you have a system with a decent gui that is working most of the time yet? Btw I think all those zeros are very inconvenient it maybe is good for computers but it creates trubble for people.

New website, blog, GUI and launch date will come this week. I will also hopefully get time to make that infographic about the supply of IOTA.

It really should be no problem. We use the SI unit system, which is used universally in science. Everyone is already familiar with megabyte, gigabyte and terabyte, the last 'petabyte' is a bit exotic, but it's only the total number, so should not be hard for people to grasp.

As for number of zeroes, we actually don't have more zeroes than Bitcoin or Ethereum, we just skip the decimal to make programming easier, and the number itself is also optimized for programming, which is quite important for a technology aimed at programmers and machines, not regular humans buying groceries at the store.

Besides we do shorten the decimal places too, we shorten it to Pi, Ti, Gi, Mi anyway, so it's really much clearer than any other crypto which have just randomly made up names for the different decimal places. For instance, without googling, can you tell me what a: Lovelace, Wei, Finney or Shannon is in Ethereum? I really doubt it.
June 13, 2016, 11:44:04 AM
I can give this update:

We are having a potentially big breakthrough evaluated, which is why the slight delay. We're having our inhouse mathematician as well as other experts look over it as we speak. If this optimization works, it will make IOTA a lot more efficient in several metrics. We should have the results soon and details will then be provided, if it doesn't work we simply use the old approach, either way neither decision will heavily impact release schedule, it's still for June.

You are trying to speed up the transaction confirmation process, and that would mean higher potential global tps rate, right?

edit: looks like I'm wrong, at least I'm reading something about "better tip selection algo" in the chat. What are the benefits of better/faster tip selection?

Will provide clear benefits if it passes review, if it doesn't I see no reason to tease about exactly how it improves IOTA Smiley

Activity: 208
Merit: 100
June 13, 2016, 11:42:11 AM
Do you have a system with a decent gui that is working most of the time yet? Btw I think all those zeros are very inconvenient it maybe is good for computers but it creates trubble for people.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
https://iota.org/
June 13, 2016, 11:38:09 AM
I can give this update:

We are having a potentially big breakthrough evaluated, which is why the slight delay. We're having our inhouse mathematician as well as other experts look over it as we speak. If this optimization works, it will make IOTA a lot more efficient in several metrics. We should have the results soon and details will then be provided, if it doesn't work we simply use the old approach, either way neither decision will heavily impact release schedule, it's still for June.

Thank You very much for update!

Will waiting for good optimized 0.9.23

Cheers
June 13, 2016, 11:34:04 AM

You are trying to speed up the transaction confirmation process, and that would mean higher potential global tps rate, right?

edit: looks like I'm wrong, at least I'm reading something about "better tip selection algo" in the chat. What are the benefits of better/faster tip selection?

As faster We will have txs as better will be IOTA at all
legendary
Activity: 1344
June 13, 2016, 10:49:37 AM
IOTA has one of the highest rate of development  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1540
June 13, 2016, 10:10:45 AM
I can give this update:

Thanks for Updated!!  Smiley
do not say everything!!   Tongue
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
June 13, 2016, 09:48:46 AM
@iotatoken: thanks for the info!

@Tobo: I follow the chat and I tested nearly every version during the last weeks.
I'm looking forward to test 0.9.23, which should be released soon Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1225
June 13, 2016, 09:41:34 AM
I can give this update:

June 13, 2016, 09:32:30 AM
I can give this update:

legendary
Activity: 1344
June 13, 2016, 09:08:35 AM
Quote from: emede link=topic=1216479.msg15188911#msg15188911 date=
So this statement about release-date in June is outdated?

My take is that it is still valid because we are still in the mid of June and the testing has been making good progress so far. If you are in the chat you would see that devs and test participants have been busy in testing and analyzing the test results to optimize the system. But for the testing, I am totally ok if it will take more time and go beyond June. It is the last thing you want to rush.

We already wait 6 month, so 1 or 2 weeks more doesn't make any difference.
Activity: 763
June 13, 2016, 08:04:05 AM
Quote from: emede link=topic=1216479.msg15188911#msg15188911 date=

My take is that it is still valid because we are still in the mid of June and the testing has been making good progress so far. If you are in the chat you would see that devs and test participants have been busy in testing and analyzing the test results to optimize the system. But for the testing, I am totally ok if it will take more time and go beyond June. It is the last thing you want to rush.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
June 13, 2016, 07:28:27 AM
Ok, well, unless the date comes from me, it's not official.

any hints on the release date (cant wait anymore)? Will it be weeks until the release? Days? Years?

Come on Cheesy

Since we're still waiting for some results from analysis what I can say is that it is measured in weeks and it will be in June.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
June 13, 2016, 06:23:39 AM
what about the testkng - any problems encountered?

No.
Activity: 360
Merit: 100
June 13, 2016, 06:10:24 AM
do i have to download any wallet not to claim my coins or wait till launch. I have the seed password

Wait for the next version and do it before the launch.

what about the testkng - any problems encountered?
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
June 13, 2016, 05:19:00 AM
do i have to download any wallet not to claim my coins or wait till launch. I have the seed password

Wait for the next version and do it before the launch.
legendary
Activity: 938
June 12, 2016, 08:38:39 PM
Activity: 481
Merit: 250
June 12, 2016, 05:54:21 PM
I would like to sell 2779530000000 ( 1 million old iotas ) so exactly 0,1 % of the max supply for 20 btc , I bought the coins via escrow from windjic , so the problem is I can just send the coins once I get them.

So for me to get my coins quicker and you as a buyer to be safe I would offer to the devs that (with windjics confirmation) the coins are withdrawn from the adress to another adress I get my coins from escrow and I donate 10 % of those to the foundation.

So if it all works out like that I am offering 2501577000000 ( 900000 old Iotas ) , 0,09 % of all coins for 18.5 btc and the rest goes to foundation.

Of course you can also get the full 2779530000000 for 20 btc with escrow.
June 11, 2016, 01:42:08 PM
Thanks, it worked for me by adding sudo in front of the java -jar command.

What is the seed in nostalgia.html file? Is it something like a passphrase?

http://localhost:999 is loading a long time without showing up. Is there a problem at the moment?

I wanted to create my first IOTA address. By running the jar I am getting a BindException.

IRI 0.9.19
java.net.BindException: Permission denied
   at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.bind0(Native Method)
   at java.net.AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.bind(AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:94)
   at java.net.DatagramSocket.bind(DatagramSocket.java:392)
   at java.net.DatagramSocket.(DatagramSocket.java:242)
   at java.net.DatagramSocket.(DatagramSocket.java:299)
   at java.net.DatagramSocket.(DatagramSocket.java:271)
   at iri.Node.launch(Node.java:38)
   at iri.IRI.main(IRI.java:44)
Flushing transactions chunk #0
Flushing transactions chunk #1
Flushing addresses chunk #0
Flushing addresses chunk #1
Flushing digests chunk #0
Flushing digests chunk #1

Had the same issue on my first try, it happens because you have to instance running at the same time. Kill javaw.exe or restart your computer

At the moment we are testing 0.9.22

The seed is your passphrase to get access to your IOTAs

Cheers
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
June 11, 2016, 01:33:56 PM
Thanks, it worked for me by adding sudo in front of the java -jar command.

What is the seed in nostalgia.html file? Is it something like a passphrase?

http://localhost:999 is loading a long time without showing up. Is there a problem at the moment?

I wanted to create my first IOTA address. By running the jar I am getting a BindException.

IRI 0.9.19
java.net.BindException: Permission denied
   at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.bind0(Native Method)
   at java.net.AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.bind(AbstractPlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:94)
   at java.net.DatagramSocket.bind(DatagramSocket.java:392)
   at java.net.DatagramSocket.(DatagramSocket.java:242)
   at java.net.DatagramSocket.(DatagramSocket.java:299)
   at java.net.DatagramSocket.(DatagramSocket.java:271)
   at iri.Node.launch(Node.java:38)
   at iri.IRI.main(IRI.java:44)
Flushing transactions chunk #0
Flushing transactions chunk #1
Flushing addresses chunk #0
Flushing addresses chunk #1
Flushing digests chunk #0
Flushing digests chunk #1

Had the same issue on my first try, it happens because you have to instance running at the same time. Kill javaw.exe or restart your computer
Jump to: