Pages:
Author

Topic: IOTA - Thousands of Wallets Compromised and Funds Stolen - page 5. (Read 2618 times)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
I cant believe the marketcap is still so high Undecided
copper member
Activity: 336
Merit: 258
Do you need a campaign manager? PM me.
So maybe holding IOTA on bitfinex is safer then in the wallet?

No, that is not correct! You should rather store your coins in a wallet of which you own the private key (seed)! On Bitfinex you do NOT have a private key.
If Bitfinex gets hacked or refuses to transfer your coins to your wallet, then your coins are lost! Just because the OP has no idea what he's talking about does not mean you should believe him.
He left the creation of his private key (seed) to a third person. Now, the OP wonders that someone else had access to his wallet.

It may be.

You should be ashamed to give such advice! Either you know very well that coins should NOT be stored for a long time on an exchange or you really have no idea, as previously stated.
Anyway, it is not right to store your coins at an exchange. Why you should not do it, I explained above.

I would like to reiterate that I do not own IOTA coins, but I do not like people who were irresponsible and relied on a seed generator that is not IOTA-owned.
In addition, the OP brings others in danger of losing their coins and deliberately gives others wrong advice. This is very irresponsible and childish from the OP!  Sad
Activity: 756
Merit: 103
It may be. But they also would have to use their own seed generators as IOTA itself is missing that substantial functionality.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 105
So maybe holding IOTA on bitfinex is safer then in the wallet?
Always try to keep your sensitive data privately like storing in cold wallets like use paper wallets and hardware wallets instead of keeping private key in your device like computers and mobile and that will lead steal your key easily by hackers.

Try to use chrome extension like cryptonite which is recently becoming popular and which will detect the phishing websites and keep us in safe
In this case it did not help as the seed, that's how they call their private key, was generated online by malicious sites they promoted in their forum, as their own client did not have the functionality to create such. And there was no authorization like a password built in at all. I wrote that already, major design flaw in IOTA.
Activity: 420
Merit: 100
Harmony for One and All
Always try to keep your sensitive data privately like storing in cold wallets like use paper wallets and hardware wallets instead of keeping private key in your device like computers and mobile and that will lead steal your key easily by hackers.

Try to use chrome extension like cryptonite which is recently becoming popular and which will detect the phishing websites and keep us in safe
For all that got funds stolen, please use the following to report the details:

https://iotawalletloss.claims/

Reference: https://forum.helloiota.com/9284/Call-to-action-lets-catch-the-thief
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
If you bought IOTA, check your wallet. Chances are high that it is empty now.

Don't believe me? Open it and find out yourself that all your funds have been stolen.

How so? People were told to use online seed generators. Yes, a seed, online. Not from the wallet itself, no password, not protection at all. And one clever chap collected all the generated seeds and just cashed in.

What can you do? If it is still "Pending" then check out this posting from the official IOTA forum. If it says confirmed as it does for me, funds are gone.

https://forum.helloiota.com/9100/To-everyone-posting-with-stolen-balances

IOTA tries to blame people now for using the online seed generators. I think the party to blame is IOTA itself, for not putting a seed generator in their light wallet, and for not password protecting it.

This actually calls for class action as thousands of accounts were compromised!

(my x-post from Steemit)

That is what happen when developers publish not enough tested wallets.
Most important part of any project is the team. If they are not sure what they are doing will make lots of mistakes. And will risk your founds. I suggest everyone to first always look at who are developers and what they did so far.
Activity: 1
Hi
my iota wallet also got hacked and i just found out. I read that many people are at least able to see where their IOTAs went.
My wallet is completely clean, i have 0 balance and also no transactions. I know its silly but i am still hoping for a sync issue.
Can anyone please tell me if they also had zero transactions after the hack?
THX
Activity: 966
Merit: 500
Again, it's not addressing the situation at all, that huge design flaw of using a private key to log in. Just excuses. No explanation, no mitigation, just trying to wash their hands clean and blame the users. Shame on them. And now they will delete the evidence.

Thanks God, my IOTA coins were not touched by hackers. This awful news again reminded us that we should better use paper wallets. This video tells us about how to avoid the situation when you are hacked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUh8Em_x20

you are funny!
I can not find anything funny with millions of dollars stolen.
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1055
If you bought IOTA, check your wallet. Chances are high that it is empty now.

Don't believe me? Open it and find out yourself that all your funds have been stolen.

How so? People were told to use online seed generators. Yes, a seed, online. Not from the wallet itself, no password, not protection at all. And one clever chap collected all the generated seeds and just cashed in.

What can you do? If it is still "Pending" then check out this posting from the official IOTA forum. If it says confirmed as it does for me, funds are gone.

https://forum.helloiota.com/9100/To-everyone-posting-with-stolen-balances

IOTA tries to blame people now for using the online seed generators. I think the party to blame is IOTA itself, for not putting a seed generator in their light wallet, and for not password protecting it.

This actually calls for class action as thousands of accounts were compromised!

(my x-post from Steemit)

you are funny!
32 pages of reported stolen balances and the list keeps growing.

If you just found out, please report it here as well, although chances to get anything back are tiny.

https://forum.helloiota.com/9284/Call-to-action-lets-catch-the-thief
Noobs coming in, LOL. Sure, I did invent the whole story to talk that fantastic coin, that was subject to multiple issues in its short past, bad.

Reality is, it is not a complete disaster, it does not use a private key without any authorization to login, and people did not get their balances stolen, because they trusted an online seed generator, that was promoted in the IOTA forums.

Go figure, its all just a product of my imagination  Cheesy
Activity: 1
Nothing to see here, just a cuckster who got rekt a thousand ways due to his own idiocy
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Is this information real?

DYOR and for the time being if you do have IOTA don't use an online seed generator.
Activity: 16
Is this information real?

No OP is a biased moron who spreads lies about coins he dislikes or sees as a threat to his own investments, no evidence presented what so ever so far of what he claims
Activity: 103
Merit: 11
It's ok, you can continue to talk rubbish every day.

Yes, I will continue to try educating you. I didn't lose hope Cheesy

If you would research enough you would see that only a few new people to cryptos got robbed. That happened with bitcoin in the past too. The difference with people who got their bitcoins stolen is that they learned from their mistakes.

I did not design IOTA and I did not make a private key the way to log into it.

Consider yourself lucky if you still did not get robbed. It may happen.

I will inform you if they get stolen but since my start in cryptos in 2013 not a single coin got stolen from my wallets... I'm just very careful and paranoid if it's about my private keys.

Since I'm talking with you i think I found out what type of guy you are... In the past you thought cryptos are not worth to invest in because the market is to volatile. After the hype of bitcoin in September 2017 you wanted to make big money and decided to step into cryptos. At this time bitcoin was already to expensive for you, so you thought to buy IOTA because it was still cheap. Unfortunately you didn't research how to securely operate a wallet and by accident you gave your private key to a third party who now stole your coins.

Now you are extremely pissed because you lost your money (I can really understand that and it is a shame that there are so many scammers in the crypto szene). I can also understand that people always try to find someone they can blame for their own mistakes. However what I don't like is, that you are giving misleading information over and over again in this thread.

It's ok, you can continue to talk rubbish every day. I did not design IOTA and I did not make a private key the way to log into it.

Consider yourself lucky if you still did not get robbed. It may happen.
Activity: 103
Merit: 11
It does not matter where you think you place it. They have stolen the private keys, and thus own all your funds. And that is a major design flaw of the IOTA client that requires one to openly use the private key, which they call seed, to log in.

Another day, another unqualified comments from you Cheesy The only flaw are the people who give away their private key to others.

I think other people also see what you are trying: Negative promo for IOTA because you were naive by using the online seed generator. By this move you gave the criminals full access to your wallet. This can happen to your bitcoin as well, so better learn from it and secure your stuff as quick as possible.

Pages:
Jump to: