Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Ashish Gulhati, et al., Satoshi Nakamoto? - page 3. (Read 28599 times)

Activity: 980
Merit: 500
FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]
but what will the lost prophet change?
Activity: 470
Merit: 250
Well, doubt he would have admitted it anyways Smiley

Yes, until somebody comes up with a better candidate he will remain my favourite.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000
Landscaping Bitcoin for India!
Fat lady sang Sad

Well, doubt he would have admitted it anyways Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
https://groups.google.com/group/rec.travel.misc/tree/browse_frm/month/1994-11/345effc2b85863b8?rnum=221&utoken=Dyg4iSgAAAB-Cm_4Vy6NXdGn8Iz_A4rSrjerLTQgi5a18R7AtZrJO2a51OX86NFnmbN1eX6nxYU&_done=%2Fgroup%2Frec.travel.misc%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fmonth%2F1994-11%3Futoken%3DDyg4iSgAAAB-Cm_4Vy6NXdGn8Iz_A4rSrjerLTQgi5a18R7AtZrJO2a51OX86NFnmbN1eX6nxYU%26#doc_e1c00cbea51634ce

Ashish Gulhati     View profile  More options Nov 8 1994, 9:15 am

Slightly wacky 21 year old freelance student, writer, philosopher and
technical consultant from India - on a tour of the US with a $320 USA
Rail pass and 3 shoestrings seeks hosts in S.F. and Las Vegas. If you
can supply this weary traveller with a bed for a night, a place to put
his rucksack, and a power point to plug in his powerbook for
recharging, he will be eternally grateful.

Seriously - I will be in Las Vegas for Comdex around the 15th to the
18th, and in SF from the 19th to the 22nd. If anyone can host me for
this time I will be very thrilled. I am on a zero money budget because
the currency conversion coming from India totally screws things up
financially. I can sing for my dinner and entertain you with
incredible tales from India and from places I have travelled in the US
(I'm interviewing Richard Stallman tomorrow). I also discuss
philosophy and cyberspace issues engagingly, am fully toilet trained,
and never heard of O.J. Simpson.

My itinerary looks like this:

Mon Nov 14-15: 1345-1935 Train to Vegas
Wed Nov 16-18: Las Vegas (COMDEX)
Fri Nov 19:    0830-2135 Train to SF
Sat Nov 19-22: SF

finger [email protected] to find out more about me, and send me mail
at the same address if you think you can accomodate me.

TIA.

Ashish
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ashish Gulhati                [email protected]      "Existence Exists"
140 Sunder Nagar,             hash on IRC
New Delhi 03, INDIA           Sysop @ 6:606/7
Phone: +91-11-4615433         FAX/BBS +91-11-4601978            Ayn Rand
------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those aware, Ashish was not making a joke when he penned...

...am fully toilet trained...

...but for those not up to speed, truth is stranger than fiction. Let's just say that nobody may want a guest in their home that doesn't use toilet paper, especially if they don't understanding the concept of it. Think the three shells in The Demolition Man.

I've been to India, and Benjamin will concur with the following: Once, while holding court with several young men, one asked me why all the toilet paper in my case. I had to resort to pantomiming its use, whereupon they were all simply amazed.
legendary
In case somebody's canonizing a Satoshi Bible: http://www.panix.com/~tehom/quotes.htm

Ashish Gulhati, [email protected]

7. No plan survives the first contact intact.
13. Natural laws have no pity.
21. Always remember that stupidity is the only Universal Capital Crime.
26. If it's stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid.
36. Opening your mouth does create a space that your foot can fill all too easily.
37. Even Murphy's Law doesn't work all of the time.
39. Discretion is the better part of SURVIVAL.
41. There is a certain freedom in being totally screwed. It means that nothing you do is going to make it any worse.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
hmm this is interesting, there are so many people that could be satoshi I dont know if we will ever know for sure, unless satoshi comes out and shows proof Smiley
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
Thanks for the clarification.
Activity: 784
You are contradicting yourself, you said he did windows now you say he does linux...

I stand by my position that a "true" programmer can do either, the OS is largely irrelevant these days with linux shells in windows and windows power shell trying to be like linux.  

No, you simply did not carefully read my original post. I said Satoshi was a Windows programmer, while Ashish is a thorough Linux progrmmer(and a very ideological one), so they may not be the same person.
You are contradicting yourself, you said he did windows now you say he does linux...

I stand by my position that a "true" programmer can do either, the OS is largely irrelevant these days with linux shells in windows and windows power shell trying to be like linux. 

Activity: 784
One counter-evidence: Satoshi seemed to be a Windows programmer, rather than a Linux programmer(which I don't think is an identity he needs to hide, after all there too many out there fit this stereotype)

I'm not sure what this means.  A programmer is a programmer is a programmer.  Programming is completely independent of the machine you code on.  A skilled programmer, like Meng Weng Wong, can move between sun/sgi/windows/linux/osx/cpm/macOS without a hiccup because he is a programmer.  We learned on SUN UNIX equipment, but could just as easily use Dr Badler's SGI array down the hall or the windows PC labs all over campus.  

Linux was invented in the 1990's it is far newer than microsoft's offerings.  It is logical to suppose that anyone over 30 started on a Windows PC rather than a Linux PC and might be fluid in either environment.

Ashish is obviously a thorough and thorough Linux/FOSS hacker with a strong ideological leaning if you check the materials provided by Bruno.
legendary
Activity: 826
amarha
He has what it takes to be Satoshi, but is he?
legendary
Activity: 826
amarha
A good effort I think. But I highly doubt this guy is Satoshi. He appears to have a totally different personality.

No way in hell would someone like this sit on all those mined coins and not convert a single satoshi into fiat.

With his skills, I'm pretty sure he wanted for nothing more than to get by semi-comfortably, coupled with his parents, namely dad, being an economist and diplomat, of sorts. His values were probably different than how western society folks were raised.

Unless the guy totally matured at some point to become someone capable of doing what Satoshi did then maybe. But with a twitter handle like an4rky I highly doubt it.

I'm pretty sure his an4rky moniker reflects his discontent toward the US for her false flag operations and manipulating the monetary system around the world.

His mom is a dual citizen, working mainly in DC to lobby efforts for her noble cause back in India.

Ashish moved to Oz shortly after Satoshi stopped posting publicly.

Ashish has a beautiful command of the English language, capable of penning any continental style, I assume.

Look at the list of programs he's a master of, and the list of projects he built from scratch, then tell me that there's no way he, acting alone, couldn't have developed Bitcoin--from scratch. But he didn't necessarily have to build it from scratch, for he had the HashCash code(s) at his disposal.

Hell, he even came out and stated such in no uncertain terms that that was exactly what he was going to do.

That's all very reasonable. But I personally get more of an "academic" type vibe from reading Satoshi. Everything you've put out here is pretty compelling though.

The whole part about him being pro-FOSS and using Visual Studio to write his greatest creation seems pretty unlikely though.
Activity: 470
Merit: 250
update everything to point at http://www.hashcash.org now we
     have the domain courtesy of it's previous owner Ashish
     Gulhati <[email protected]> (at no charge -- he declined my
     offer to pay for it and instead gave it to me!)

This quote from the OP misled me yesterday into thinking that Ashish Gulhati invented HashCash, but on closer inspection today I realized that it was Adam Back. Ashish Gulhati has the sort of background (C++, Cryptography, HashCash, Ayn Rand, Laissez Faire City, etc.) that one needs to be able to see the potential and to develop HashCash into Bitcoin. I think he did it.

The fact that Bitcoin is based on HashCash means that Adam Back is one of the spiritual fathers of Bitcoin, even if he isn't Satoshi Nakamoto.
legendary
Speaking of value system, a couple posts up, I present to you Ashish's mentor.

http://opensource.org/node/645

One of the pillars of the Indian FOSS Community passed away this week. Known for his humor, his uncompromising honesty and his generosity in sharing FOSS knowledge with like-minded individuals. His sudden passing after a massive heart attack has shocked and saddened his friends across the FOSS World.

Raj Mathur (aka OldMonk) was a founding member of the seminal Indian Linux Users Group, Delhi (aka ilug-d), and a very active member of the free and open source community. Well respected and extremely knowledgeable, he was often sought after for advice, which he readily dispersed. He was one of the earliest users and advocates of Linux and free software in India. Apart from contributions to the FOSS corpus with numerous packages released under the GNU GPL, he was also a regular member of the Free Software Award Committee, Director Emeritus of the Open Source Initiative and visiting professor at the Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi1

Here is a 2008 interview with Raj shot at his home (site of many ilug-d meetings over the years) by Robin "Roblimo" Miller for Linux.com.

Notice the terms "uncompromising honesty" and "generosity". I'm sure that if he stills access to the early minted bitcoins, they'll be used unselfishly.
* Viceroy bows to the great Satoshi Nakamoto while tilting his hat to Phinneaus
legendary
Have you asked him if he is satoshi yet?  Or pointed him to this thread?

Dude, why pester Satoshi! I'm sure he's flattered that he's been outed, now we'll wait from him to come to us.

Have you asked him if he is satoshi yet?  Or pointed him to this thread?
legendary
A good effort I think. But I highly doubt this guy is Satoshi. He appears to have a totally different personality.

No way in hell would someone like this sit on all those mined coins and not convert a single satoshi into fiat.

With his skills, I'm pretty sure he wanted for nothing more than to get by semi-comfortably, coupled with his parents, namely dad, being an economist and diplomat, of sorts. His values were probably different than how western society folks were raised.

Unless the guy totally matured at some point to become someone capable of doing what Satoshi did then maybe. But with a twitter handle like an4rky I highly doubt it.

I'm pretty sure his an4rky moniker reflects his discontent toward the US for her false flag operations and manipulating the monetary system around the world.

His mom is a dual citizen, working mainly in DC to lobby efforts for her noble cause back in India.

Ashish moved to Oz shortly after Satoshi stopped posting publicly.

Ashish has a beautiful command of the English language, capable of penning any continental style, I assume.

Look at the list of programs he's a master of, and the list of projects he built from scratch, then tell me that there's no way he, acting alone, couldn't have developed Bitcoin--from scratch. But he didn't necessarily have to build it from scratch, for he had the HashCash code(s) at his disposal.

Hell, he even came out and stated such in no uncertain terms that that was exactly what he was going to do.
One counter-evidence: Satoshi seemed to be a Windows programmer, rather than a Linux programmer(which I don't think is an identity he needs to hide, after all there too many out there fit this stereotype)

I'm not sure what this means.  A programmer is a programmer is a programmer.  Programming is completely independent of the machine you code on.  A skilled programmer, like Meng Weng Wong, can move between sun/sgi/windows/linux/osx/cpm/macOS without a hiccup because he is a programmer.  We learned on SUN UNIX equipment, but could just as easily use Dr Badler's SGI array down the hall or the windows PC labs all over campus.  

Linux was invented in the 1990's it is far newer than microsoft's offerings.  It is logical to suppose that anyone over 30 started on a Windows PC rather than a Linux PC and might be fluid in either environment.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
Good point
Pages:
Jump to: