Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin Mining Really Causing Environmental Damage? Maybe not that much... - page 4. (Read 1924 times)

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
There was a news that I heard and I think this is the biggest rumours of this era that in the coming decade, bitcoin will use double the amount of electricity as used by the entire world currently and I think this is the biggest joke of the time as we all know that the only requirement for operating bitcoin is the internet and it does not even use that much of internet also and even for the mining of bitcoin, I think that much of electricity is not required so I don’t think that bitcoin is causing any damage to the environment.

if we stuck with GPU mining. then yes todays hashrate would require 140% (1.4x) (the world and then half again) electric supply
but the community have mitigated against that with asics.

currently today with this current generation of asics (not last gens bad mathematical statistic) we are at LESS than 0.1%
and if rumours are true of a 7nm asic of 28th and 0.8kwh... we would be at 0.3% at current hashrate
which means the hashrate can triple from octobers suggested 7nm release.. and still be below this summers 0.1% international usage

now. putting that stuff aside.
power companies make excess energy. they love it when industry buys the excess. and they can expand because that excess was waste is now paid = 100% profit of the waste for the energy company. so they have more funds to expand and add more generators/solar
thus help grow more production due to growing demand. thus the percentage used doesnt exceed percentage generated.

and putting that aside
we are at 20twh so let pretend 50% is in china  (its less but shh dont poke the propagandists)
10twh bout out of chinas 830 EXCESS
that means using current asics. hashrate can go 83x and still be of no concern.
using next gen asics 249x
that means at lets say 50exa now
things can go to 12.25 zetahash (12450exa) before bitcoin even starts to touch regular consumed utility.

which is plenty of time and profitable income for power companies to expand

now i know people will shout limited supply if water for hydro.
ill just leave these crap pictures here.. hint.. recycle the water. dont let it just flush downstream

Activity: 980
Merit: 502
There is this widespread notion that Bitcoin mining is detrimental to the environment, because of all the electricity it consumes. At a quick superficial glance, it seems logical. But in reality, it is not exactly the case.

Who mines Bitcoin and what kind of electricity is used for Bitcoin mining?

Currently, China accounts for about 71% of the mining hash power in the world. The mining farms are based in Western China. But why there?

Hydro power plants have been created in the past for the production of aluminium. Electricity is 60% of the cost to aluminium production through smelting. The aluminium market is oversaturated for years now and China, being a top producer, has cut the production. So they have a huge surplus of hydro energy that is not utilized. For simplicity, imagine a hydro power plant in the fields, surrounded by nothing else. And hydro energy is clean energy. It doesn’t kill trees.

However, the technological infrastructure for transporting the energy to regions that actually need it, is lacking. This overcapacity of energy can’t just be sent to China’s bustling urban centers. Actually it can, but electricity will have to travel long distances, which equals huge losses. Therefore, it would be more economical for a power consumer to be closer to the source of the power. This is where the mining farms and their warehouses have been built. Right next to the close-to-useless hydro power plants. So the majority of miners are using failed energy projects and not investing in new ones.

In order to mine Bitcoin, all you need is mining hardware, internet connection and a simple software and now the unutilized energy is used towards creating a decentralized blockchain system. Unused clean hydro energy is entering the global economy. This is the real mining! At the core of it, we have a Chinese river allowing a rural farmer in Africa get paid for the cotton he produces through the Bitcoin network. The Chinese rivers help a Filipino immigrant in USA to send his payroll to his relatives in the Philippines for cents of a dollar, rather than for a 40% commission fee via Western Union.

But Bitmain and the other pools are making so much money out of it. Is it fair?

Well, gold diggers and oil rigs are also making tons of money. Is it fair? Traditionally, the resource mining business has always been one of the most lucrative. It is at the top of the supply chain. In order for us to go to a gas station and fuel our car tank, someone had to drill that oil first. Gas has value for us as end users. We travel faster than on horses. In order for the gas station to make profit on retail prices, they need to buy that gas from someone first and so on. There is value for everyone in the chain, provided that the product or resource is actually needed.

The value exchange is pretty simple

Unutilized clean energy coming from rivers that doesn’t pollute the air on one hand. And the maintaining of a global decentralized payment system on the other.

So the real question is: “Is a decentralized, open, alternative, state-free monetary system needed?” For the average citizen in a developed country, it may still not be. But for billions underbanked that is life-changing.

A system that allows for 24/7 payments with no borders and close to zero fees. An alternative system to fiat money, that allows people in countries like Venezuela to protect their money and assets in rough times. A system that provides banking for billions in regions where there is no banks.

Conclusion

Unutilized clean hydro energy is being transformed into a global, borderless, open, decentralized, alternative financial system. The air is not being polluted. But the annual profits of banks are! And they will keep pondering how detrimental Bitcoin mining for humanity is. Is this the truth? Decide for yourself.

I would be happy to hear your thoughts on the subject...
There was a news that I heard and I think this is the biggest rumours of this era that in the coming decade, bitcoin will use double the amount of electricity as used by the entire world currently and I think this is the biggest joke of the time as we all know that the only requirement for operating bitcoin is the internet and it does not even use that much of internet also and even for the mining of bitcoin, I think that much of electricity is not required so I don’t think that bitcoin is causing any damage to the environment.
Activity: 266
Merit: 1
So first anyobe can do mining. For mw mining doesn't realkt causing environmental damage as long as you pay it only damage your pocket or wallet. You pay electricity for you to mine whenever you want it doesnt damage anything. But maybe it helps because once you gain from it you can help or donate money to preserve things.
Activity: 1428
Merit: 251
solidtradebank.com | 5%-15% Welcome Bonus
I dont think mining bitcoin damaging the earth environment because it doesnt consume too much energy.
The factories in the world are worse than bitcoin mining xompany. What i know, mininng bitcoin only required electricity.

Its true, from what i am ready, bitcoin mining consumption not more than 1% from global capacity. Beside that, electricity technology always improve and right now many ways to harvest energy from nature. Bitcoin not damaging environment
Activity: 60
Merit: 0
Do we really need to consider the environmental damage caused by bitcoin mining as significant in the world when there are so many other environment damaging work done in the world such as deforestation, Transportation and other major areas but bitcoin mining causing environmental damage is shown frequently through media and other sources which I think due to lack of understanding about the good that it does
Activity: 83
It is ignorable because we haven't calculated how much of electricity is wasted by currency traditional money transferring systems waste world electricity due to there ineffective systems and processes and if we do that we will definitely find what is the best way to transfer currencies and I am very sure that Bitcoin will win because no other technology in the traditional financial system can compete with Bitcoin at the moment
Activity: 205
It maybe causing environmental damage and everything in this world which uses electricity or any other things cause environmental damage for some extend for an example we see hybrid cars as environmentally friendly concept because of the fuel efficiency and low air pollution  but to make the hybrid battery some expertise say there is a huge pollution that is causing in the long run but most people buy hybrid and why we should concern about the small bitcoin environment damage when it gives more advantages and benefits 
Activity: 67
I don't think that's true. I think it's just a fairy tale from the yellow press, which are aimed to stop the giants in the field of cryptocurrency mining.
Activity: 70
When we use internet in other purpose then we don't think about the environment and only because bitcoin run through bitcoin we start rising question about it but I must say there is no relation between bitcoin and environment.
Activity: 57
Most say that but it is not a problem with bitcoin but there is a problem with the power source we used to mine bitcoin because most miners use home electricity mainly because it is the most convenient method they can find but this is a era where even cars and houses use solar electricity to run instead damaging the environment but yet even for a great innovative currency like bitcoin we haven't found an innovative way to mine it and we accuse bitcoin that it is making environmental damage but we already have the technology to stop that right now
Activity: 49
Even bitcoin waste too much energy when considering the return that bitcoin provide for its users it is beneficial because large number of people now rely on bitcoin as traders , investors or as users who use it as a currency for payments and there are individuals who have made bitcoin there only living source so if we neglect bitcoin by only pointing its one problem we have forgot all its benefits in the process so rather than accusing bitcoin we need to find a better solution to fix the problem or to  reduce it
Activity: 437
Merit: 100
If millions of computers are connected, energy consumption is huge. So we see there are many recommendations for computer users should monitor the energy consumption in the computer system to manage and minimize. But we do not always work 24 hours a day so it will not cause serious environmental damage.
Activity: 714
Merit: 252
Well, energy is being used, transformed since many years now, and why this question is being raised now? Is there any meaning to this one if the bitcoin came to existence since decade now and then it started using huge electricity just recently? I guess its useless to talk about the energy consumption of the bitcoin at this point. There is more electricity is consumed by the Information Technology firms around the world than how many firms of bitcoin mining are using put together. So make buzz about the bitcoin's fate through its electricity consumption. Its being paid with the money and no one is using it free of cost, so everything is just fine.
Activity: 52
Bitcoin mining is not causing environmental damage, rather the money printed in banks from papers are hazarding the trees, harming the ecosystem.
that's what i am thinking about. I'm sure that bitcoin mining doesn't affect to our environment
Activity: 57
Earlier bitcoin mining was considered as easy and very profitable and that is the main reason many miners were joined to the network but now things has got little complicated because electricity in many countries are not cheap and even mining hardware is too expensive so most miners think bitcoin mining power waste at least should be reduced in coming years so miners can take a profit than a lost and it will do good to the network
Activity: 86
Even this is a negligible issue because the out come of the bitcoin is much better than the cost. But I think  this issue should be fix as soon as possible because this increase the mining cost immensely which reduces any gains for miners who came to the mining field with the desire to earn bitcoins and there job is very important to the bitcoins future and its existence
Activity: 196
Merit: 4
All due respect, but people consume electricity every single day, why do we have to blame it all on cryptocurrency alone? Dont you think that we should focus more on other important things that causes environmental damage than blame it on mining bitcoin? Things like single-use plastics, air pollution and water pollution are just three of the things that hurt the environment more than electricity use because of bitcoin mining.
Activity: 107
No. This is the tale. What stands out when it is grown on farms a lot of heat - this is true. But the heating of the earth's atmosphere and the strengthening of the greenhouse effect is not affected. Scale is wrong.
Activity: 121
Nothing is perfect and if we seek best features from a currency like bitcoin there can be some negative effects that can caused during the process but we should always calculate whether it is worth or are we taking something profitable for the input we have done and with bitcoin it is really worth considering the facilities it provides for its users and businesses so I don't think this is a major issue at the moment
Activity: 49
it is a big and a very popular debate that we see going on about the environmental damage that is done due to Bitcoin mining and I have heard some miners say Bitcoin mining consume more electricity than other currency mining and some even don't mine Bitcoin anymore specially in countries like mine where electricity prices are high so there wont be any considerable amount of profits at the end for the investment but hope with better solution this situation will change 
Pages:
Jump to: