Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcoin Mining Really Causing Environmental Damage? Maybe not that much... - page 5. (Read 1924 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
It's not a deflection.
Hydro is limited, there are just x rivers flowing with y water at z height.
You will NEVER be able to supply the whole world with hydro
So it's obvious that the only thing left was exactly the solar thing  YOU mentioned first..... 3 times

just Y water is not a problem...
heres your problem.. screw it ill draw it for you

(imagining a its a year later... and had a year drought you'll se an empty reservoir, right)

heres my solution

its called re-use.. recycle. after all if you can pee out of your urethra to turn a paper windmill. does the water vanish.
if you direct it right and your standing above a container. the container is now a new bladder.
now pour that over a paper windmill... now i should have sparked your imagination positively
repeat repeat repeat

water turbines are not a one use and its gone forever..... Y water is not a problem
as for z height to have space/capacity for a second bladder/reservoir. well it doesnt need to be a container of a years supply of rain/pee..
so

so now as of day 3.. the same water that fills the main reservoir gets reused 3 times.
production: so thats 3x electrical production
capacity: reservoir + 2x 0.003~ of a reservoir to hold and reuse the same water twice to get the 3x production

Oh my god, you've just invented the Perpetuum mobile!!!
We can build 100 dams and from a single river, we will have infinite energy....

Of course, if we exclude the fact that the Colorado River, for example, has only a 270m drop from the Hoover Dam till the Ocean and the dam itself stand 160 m on top of the water level before the drop. Smiley.

And the pee example.....
Have you calculated if you can produce enough energy with your urine to lift a bottle of water so you can drink it?
On the energy required to lift your body up so you can actually pee?  Roll Eyes

Common Franky, what's next?  Flat earth?
Activity: 107
Merit: 1
Almost any human activity is harmful to the environment. If we consider directly the production of crypto-currencies, it is necessary to understand the following: environmental damage is minimal in view of the specifics of production, there is no need for mines, no harm to humans (people are also part of the environment).
Activity: 196
I think it will reduce the environmental damage if it is implemented in every where because the current systems make more environmental damage than Bitcoin and it is the main reason why Bitcoin was invented to make a more sustainable system to do transactions without any obstacles or barriers but with high efficiency and security and it does the job very fine at the moment so I think it is environmentally friendly 
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
It's not a deflection.
Hydro is limited, there are just x rivers flowing with y water at z height.
You will NEVER be able to supply the whole world with hydro
So it's obvious that the only thing left was exactly the solar thing  YOU mentioned first..... 3 times

just Y water is not a problem...
heres your problem.. screw it ill draw it for you

(imagining a its a year later... and had a year drought you'll se an empty reservoir, right)

heres my solution

its called re-use.. recycle. after all if you can pee out of your urethra to turn a paper windmill. does the water vanish.
if you direct it right and your standing above a container. the container is now a new bladder.
now pour that over a paper windmill... now i should have sparked your imagination positively
repeat repeat repeat

water turbines are not a one use and its gone forever..... Y water is not a problem
as for z height to have space/capacity for a second bladder/reservoir. well it doesnt need to be a container of a years supply of rain/pee..
so

so now as of day 3.. the same water that fills the main reservoir gets reused 3 times.
production: so thats 3x electrical production
capacity: reservoir + 2x 0.003~ of a reservoir to hold and reuse the same water twice to get the 3x production
Activity: 65
In my opinion, this is only speculation, as do the established environmental damage has not been established. People are habitually afraid of something relatively new.
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
bitcoin mining is done in regions of
china that use hydro
iceland that do geothermal
and now even america using hydro

GOLD mining is done. using
DIESEL excavators
DIESEL sluice machines
DIESEL trucks

anyway.
other articles say bitcoin uses 1% of world electric.
sorry but no
its actually somewhere between 0.029-0.1% of.. wait for it. of just residential level of electricty
bitcoin only uses between 0.029(new 7nm asics) or 0.1%(old 14nm asics)

meaning ignoring industrial, corporate worldwide electric. and just taking average electric just used by 1 billion homes. the entire bitcoin mining process of the whole network only uses 0.029-0.1% of world residential electric
math: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.45263751

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596
According to another article that I read, bitcoin is actually using up the excess electricity capacity generated by sustainable sources of energy in countries such as China.

If that is the case, then there is really no reason for people to be worried about bitcoin's energy consumption at all.

The energy is responsibly generated, and in a sense, is actually using up energy that would otherwise gone to waste due to the expensive nature of battery farms to retain the excess electricity. Besides, you have to understand that there is nothing different between bitcoin and big banks when it comes to energy consumption - they all use energy to fulfill a very important purpose, and yet people only seem to worry about bitcoin's consumption.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Mining Bitcoin generates less environmental damage compare to other mining industry like gold and other fossil fuel exploration. China and Iceland are using green technology for mining bitcoin and it is more portable than mining gold.
Activity: 135
Cryptocurrency mining consumes a lot of electrcity. This electricity is made from non-renewable sources. We have to change our priorities. We should regulate mining in such a way that only solar-power energy is to be used for the mining. Otherwise, this will create a energy crisis.
Activity: 238
Merit: 4
Do not forget that no matter what is the source of our electricity still it has some effects. It can still create heat that may not be good to our environment. Too much heat can cause global warming. And global warming can cause a lot of problems to the environment.
Activity: 72
If you only look at energy consumption, in a sense, Yes. As well as what damage man causes to nature, not yet invented technology.
Activity: 532
Merit: 17
I dont think mining bitcoin damaging the earth environment because it doesnt consume too much energy.
The factories in the world are worse than bitcoin mining xompany. What i know, mininng bitcoin only required electricity.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 753
Don't think that the problem here is bitcoin mining at all.

Bitcoin mining affects the environment significantly less than the construction of physical branches of banks or even the mining of precious metals which are used pretty much as nothing other than commodities which people hold value in with little industrial purpose.

What really matters is how the energy is being generated, as you said. If it's being powered by hydro, or solar energy, then there is really no harm done to the environment. Of course, this is not 100% right now, but even with coal powered energy, the benefits of maintaining a decentralised payment network like bitcoin far outweighs the minimal impact on the environment when compared to other precious mining activities, as stated above.
Activity: 152
obviously it damages the environment, because it uses electricity with fossil fuels in excess. it will make natural resources run out quickly. and coal has a limited amount.
legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036
I think Iceland is the leading country when it comes to environmentally friendly crypto mining on an industrial scale. Here is an excerpt from a very informative article:

The island nation is the first to use more electricity on mining cryptocurriencies than on its households – thanks in part to its magma-fuelled power plants. But the news from Iceland is the first time cryptocurrency mining within one nation has overtaken productive uses of electricity. Why is Iceland so popular? The answer is simple: location, location and volcanoes. Volcanoes provide Iceland with a cheap and abundant form of renewable energy. Geothermal and hydroelectric plants abound on the island, driving down the wholesale cost of power, which lets bitcoin miners make higher profits as they run their computers 24/7, 365 days a year.

Iceland has a naturally cold climate and a lot of renewable energy sources which make this little country a sought-after destination for crypto mining companies.
Activity: 2436
Merit: 272
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
Seriously people worried about the energy consumption of miners,nah.There are lot of renewable sources available on the earth from that we can produce enough electricity to power the world but there are lazy overnments who want to blame the bitcoin for the mining purpose,ther are lot of industries who producing useless products so we need to seal them all?
Activity: 280
There is this widespread notion that Bitcoin mining is detrimental to the environment, because of all the electricity it consumes. At a quick superficial glance, it seems logical. But in reality, it is not exactly the case.

Who mines Bitcoin and what kind of electricity is used for Bitcoin mining?

Currently, China accounts for about 71% of the mining hash power in the world. The mining farms are based in Western China. But why there?

Hydro power plants have been created in the past for the production of aluminium. Electricity is 60% of the cost to aluminium production through smelting. The aluminium market is oversaturated for years now and China, being a top producer, has cut the production. So they have a huge surplus of hydro energy that is not utilized. For simplicity, imagine a hydro power plant in the fields, surrounded by nothing else. And hydro energy is clean energy. It doesn’t kill trees.

However, the technological infrastructure for transporting the energy to regions that actually need it, is lacking. This overcapacity of energy can’t just be sent to China’s bustling urban centers. Actually it can, but electricity will have to travel long distances, which equals huge losses. Therefore, it would be more economical for a power consumer to be closer to the source of the power. This is where the mining farms and their warehouses have been built. Right next to the close-to-useless hydro power plants. So the majority of miners are using failed energy projects and not investing in new ones.

In order to mine Bitcoin, all you need is mining hardware, internet connection and a simple software and now the unutilized energy is used towards creating a decentralized blockchain system. Unused clean hydro energy is entering the global economy. This is the real mining! At the core of it, we have a Chinese river allowing a rural farmer in Africa get paid for the cotton he produces through the Bitcoin network. The Chinese rivers help a Filipino immigrant in USA to send his payroll to his relatives in the Philippines for cents of a dollar, rather than for a 40% commission fee via Western Union.

But Bitmain and the other pools are making so much money out of it. Is it fair?

Well, gold diggers and oil rigs are also making tons of money. Is it fair? Traditionally, the resource mining business has always been one of the most lucrative. It is at the top of the supply chain. In order for us to go to a gas station and fuel our car tank, someone had to drill that oil first. Gas has value for us as end users. We travel faster than on horses. In order for the gas station to make profit on retail prices, they need to buy that gas from someone first and so on. There is value for everyone in the chain, provided that the product or resource is actually needed.

The value exchange is pretty simple

Unutilized clean energy coming from rivers that doesn’t pollute the air on one hand. And the maintaining of a global decentralized payment system on the other.

So the real question is: “Is a decentralized, open, alternative, state-free monetary system needed?” For the average citizen in a developed country, it may still not be. But for billions underbanked that is life-changing.

A system that allows for 24/7 payments with no borders and close to zero fees. An alternative system to fiat money, that allows people in countries like Venezuela to protect their money and assets in rough times. A system that provides banking for billions in regions where there is no banks.

Conclusion

Unutilized clean hydro energy is being transformed into a global, borderless, open, decentralized, alternative financial system. The air is not being polluted. But the annual profits of banks are! And they will keep pondering how detrimental Bitcoin mining for humanity is. Is this the truth? Decide for yourself.

I would be happy to hear your thoughts on the subject...

It's hard to tell whether this is the truth. I mean if really 70% of bitcoin mining energy comes from hydro plants, then it would be surely more ecological than traditional banking.
Activity: 268
Merit: 100
This is the first time I've heard of this and is actually surprising. Sure bitcoin mining takes a lot of energy to operate especially if you have a farm of miners but was it really to the extent that those countries are running of electricity? And cause havok to the environment? They are paying for that electricity and if they profit more from it then it is their right. There are more environmental problems right now and IF crypto mining IS one of them then it should be the least of our problems. They should focus on plastic wastes first and even smoke emissions. Oh wait, electric cars will be one of the solutions. Would they be an environmental problem also?
Activity: 448
Merit: 10
I believe that if BTC mining is using renewable source of energy, I think it has a lesser impact to the environment. However, for those btc miners that are using their source of electricity coming from power plants using fossil fuels, I believe this could somehow create a small impact to the environment due to  high electricity consumption where power plants consumes much higher fossil fuels.
Activity: 14
In my opinion bitcoin does not cause any damage to the environment and if there are only a few, because when you invest in bitcoin you only need a computer or an internet laptop. Is not that too hard or does it hurt so much?
Pages:
Jump to: