Pages:
Author

Topic: Is Bitcointalk.org losing user base? - page 9. (Read 3127 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
July 17, 2021, 04:33:24 AM
SEO (ffs), etc.
The forum has hundreds of bitcoins, why not use a tiny bit of that to create some search engine optimized content to get the forum to rank a bit better for certain keywords/keyphrases? The services board has dozens of content writers, some of them certainly know how to write SEO content, and if not, someone could be found for such a task.   
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
July 17, 2021, 04:24:31 AM
What do you think? Do you think forum is losing userbase and this is a bad thing? Are there other reasons this is happening and other solutions?
How about the evil fee paid that spammers already know how to bypass with VPN and DPN. Real newbies do not know how to bypass the evil fee while many of them do not even know how to make use of Bitcoin at the time of registration. They just left the forum because even many of them think the transaction fee for Bitcoin is high like $20 because most of them are misled by the exchanges they are using. How many people will want to pay such high fee. It will be good if there is another solution instead of the evil fee paid.

Also we need new forum software, we need forum app, especially the mobile app which will have beautiful UI.

But about that charts, smerit were pre-generated for users at the start of merit system in accordance to individual rank, spammers were sending merit at the time even to each other. But there suppose to be an increase after the sometimes as users are increasing, this makes your post valid.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
July 17, 2021, 04:21:46 AM
Just to mention that, regarding the charts, the last data point is partial as we know, since it currently covers half way through the current month. Since the Merit Sources have recently been increased in quantity and allowance per 30 days, those trailing numbers may lift a bit over the next month or two at least.

That’s from an objective numerical stand. Having said that, disregarding this current month, the trend is on a slow downward trend in terms of Meriters and Merited, thus the Merit Source changes may liven up the figures somewhat (which I figure is the aim).

From a personal perspective, I do not seem to be encountering posts from newcomers that are as good as prior generations (i.e. years). You never know who’s really new on the forum and who pretends to be, but my overall perception is that of less decent posters, and not as good as before (no offence).

My Local board is really thin on new contributors, and when they do pop-up, it’s often to spam links, or post in Telegram style, but barely to engage in a longer standing relationship with the forum. Those that are the die-hard users there, tend to believe that SEO is a key factor in not receiving new savia, as the forum is difficult to come across on searches made in Spanish.

That’s why I mentioned the other day that a forum software change is not the golden nugget, lest it is accompanied by some strategy to take advantage of the change, and accompany it with strategic targets to achieve, laying the groundwork for the tactics to be used to comply. The forum is certainly a reference, but I believe it could be more so if it aligns with the new communication channels (not that I like them personally, but I get them), better linear information (not exactly an Academy, but certain learning areas), more visual (perhaps we should have pursued more positively and pushed @theymos’ idea to create a YouTube channel (ideally linked to the forum), SEO (ffs), etc. Ideally, pushing Bitcointalk as a reference brand for bitcoin(/crypto?) information into the mind of newer generations further that it currently does.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
July 17, 2021, 04:08:51 AM
What do you think? Do you think forum is losing userbase and this is a bad thing? Are there other reasons this is happening and other solutions?

I think that it may also be related to the fact that lately (6-12 months, at least) [it should be seen as an addition to your list]
* bitcointalk seems to be punished by search engines, it's getting much more difficult to find anything here
* competitor forum(s) have come to life, some automatically paying per post (I know that it attracts mostly shitposters, but.. what if it's not only shitposters? I can't tell for sure though.)

And yes, the fact that we don't have a proper (default) mobile theme looks to me too as a big problem.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
July 17, 2021, 03:53:13 AM
I have been following meta dynamics with a little bit more attention lately.
I usually analyse Italian board situation quite attentively, but I recently have been looking more at the forum as a whole thanks to this excellent @ddmrddmr thread:

Very brief overview of Merit Source sMerit Increase impact (first few days)

Apparently, since there have been too little time to properly judge, the move by @theymos kranked up merit system again, and this week he had what is the third biggest merit increase ever (the first being a brrr-like merit spree by Theymos).

@ddmrddrm posted on his thread an image, supporting the evidence of merit circulation system, that contained a disturbing detail in my opinion.

Here it is what saw:

Merit receivers, the active users posting good content, or at least merit-worth content, have been on a steady decline almost since inceptions. Same could be said about merit senders, or users actively engaged in the merit system.

On the Italian board I have noticed the same pattern, and as you know the Italian board is one of the highest merit/post ratio local board. Hence I suspect this has little to do with the merit system, but it is rather a broader phenomenon.

We have been discussing these kind of data since a long time and we came to the conclusion that while old users got disaffected to the forum because boredom, getting disaffected to bitcoin or, why not, getting too rich to post on a forum, Bitcointalk.org failed to attract new users because of the forum format itself.

New users might be attracted to different media: Twitter, Telegram chats or Reddit. All those forums are quite different, but all 9fcthem, bar reddit, are prone to a very short attention span. Search functions are very limited and I can’t see JJG posting one of his wall of texts on a Teegram chat, where it would be immediately spammed by users asking “when lambo?” Or “I bought shitcoin DEN and I have been scammed!”.

Forum are more of a slow rhythm, deep tought, knowledge intensive conversations (yeah WO thread included), while other media look to me more like instant gut-feeling dominated brawls.

To me this is what our forum has to offer:

• longest serving bitcoin forum on the internet
  • world class list of users. Not only satoshi, but also @gregmaxell, @achow101, @elwar or @theymos himself are the first came to my mind
  • Ideal platform to knowledge exchange. Allowing to pondered, well written and formatted post, without the need to abide to the prevailing short attention span (160 chars on TW, almost instant like reaction time needed for TG chats
  • world spread userbase, providing a diverse approach  and omnicultural experience about bitcoin
  • ability to integrate/link other media into the forum. You can add link YouTube videos, tweets or external website as a reference, and discuss their contents on the forum (they are called hyperlinks, I know. Not a big deal in 2021, but still..)

These are the step that might be useful to attract new users

• mobile theme. Allowing decent navigation from mobiles (something I already expressed in my interview
  • ability to relaunch your posts on different social media. I have tried to “shill” Bitcointalk.org trough my Twitter @fillippone1. All I got are 51 followers, I suspect half of them are bots. Same on the Italian bitcoin TG chat, where I continuously mention Bitcointalk.org: same result, no apparent effect on the local board. Maybe it’s just the fact I suck at PR
  • Do I really need to mention? New software?

Pages:
Jump to: