Pages:
Author

Topic: Is BTC really anonymous? - page 3. (Read 1207 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
October 27, 2017, 01:47:40 PM
No,It's not anonymous.Bitcoin is subject to traffic analysis and is not anonymous.

However, there are degrees of anonymity.  The thing about bitcoin is that it takes some effort to figure out who owns what wallet, so it's more anonymous than credit card transactions where you give your identity to the vendor.
Activity: 280
Merit: 101
October 27, 2017, 04:38:40 AM
The key is to have a sense of security. Even a paper purse without a cold purse is safe. But it's safe for people who use it to protect their passwords and keys, or to record their own pen and paper. There's just one more point. Remember cookie every time you use your wallet
What do you mean cookie every time we use wallet?? Do you mean we have to clear all cookies when we close browser. How about if we use our personal device not public device? Your answer would be appreciate. Thanks
Activity: 910
Merit: 500
October 27, 2017, 04:01:11 AM
Everyone can create an wallet in a snap of course without giving any identity also.

And the transaction is secure, encrypted and whatever, BUT are your wallet truly anonymous?

It has a private password and that’s ok when you keep all the BTC in there . I mean IN and OUT.
But when you want to change your BTC with other CCs that’s where you can get pubblic. On the exchange and in many other ways.

Just keep it in mind

I think that what made bitcoin popular and very appealing to the users is because that everything is almost secure and encrypted. This is what makes bitcoin into something that is making it like a flame and we are the moths drawn into it.
Activity: 728
Merit: 275
October 27, 2017, 03:48:46 AM
Everyone can create an wallet in a snap of course without giving any identity also.

And the transaction is secure, encrypted and whatever, BUT are your wallet truly anonymous?

It has a private password and that’s ok when you keep all the BTC in there . I mean IN and OUT.
But when you want to change your BTC with other CCs that’s where you can get pubblic. On the exchange and in many other ways.

Just keep it in mind
Yes its absolutely anonymous when you save money in a private key wallet. Because blocks do not bother if you are steve jobs or luxcoin moreover there is no way you can trace the ip address using the wallet addy. Third party wallets are the actual identity disclosers.
Activity: 434
Merit: 101
In crypto we trust!
October 27, 2017, 03:45:27 AM
Guys, what can you say about API if you use the API to get coins on blockchain, there is new wallet at generated transaction, but it sends coins to main address and can be traced anyway. Do I understand the mechanism correctly?
Activity: 406
Merit: 252
Veni, Vidi, Vici
October 27, 2017, 03:39:49 AM
Nope, it's pseudonymous. Has degrees of anonymity. Bitcoin transactions are fully transparent but it's not associated or tied to an identity hence it is called pseudonymous. However, law enforcement are somewhat successful tracking down illicit activities (silk road). Even tor is not fully anonymous, any decent hacker is able to track you when you get target.

I agree that is pseudonymous but there are cases where a transaction is fully associated with a real identity. The most apparent one is when someone buys or sell things with btc's who is obliged to give his real identity. For this reason there are 'mixing' services
Activity: 545
October 27, 2017, 03:29:20 AM
It can be very anonymous depending how you cashout your BTC.

If you're only holding BTC and not cashing out for fiat, it can remain anonymous. The moment you cashout using any online method such as PayPal, bank transfer, Skrill etc you can be tracked

Now if you want to cashout anonymously the only way I can think of is face to face without involving any banks etc just trading BTC for cash in hand.
Activity: 2632
Merit: 546
October 27, 2017, 03:19:09 AM

Just keep it in mind

Well initially if you have just a wallet, you will be anonymous because there's no name attached in it. However, if you try to exchange and convert it to fiat, then you lost your anonymous because when you open a account you will need to submit pertinent to you identify. And besides, bitcoin is not really anonymous, but pseudo-anonymous. So if you really wants to remain anonymous, they say Monero is the best choice for you, however, I haven't tried it so I can't really say. But for me as long as you don't do anything illegal with your bitcoin, everything will be fine on your end.
Activity: 490
Merit: 251
Guard your privacy
October 27, 2017, 03:14:07 AM
Everyone can create an wallet in a snap of course without giving any identity also. And the transaction is secure, encrypted and whatever, BUT are your wallet truly anonymous? It has a private password and that’s ok when you keep all the BTC in there . I mean IN and OUT. But when you want to change your BTC with other CCs that’s where you can get public. On the exchange and in many other ways. Just keep it in mind

Yes, we already know that in Bitcoin there is no such thing as absolute privacy. Somewhere along the way, the privacy chain can be broken and the transactions can easily be mined and analyzed. As in anything in life, there would always be exemptions to the general rule. Generally, it should be be anonymous maybe if all things are kept in the Bitcoin network in the sense that any transaction may not have your personal identity imprinted on them (however the details of the transactions are there for the public to see) but when the transaction can be involving third-parties then that is why when things can really be so different.

We are living in a connected and wired world where privacy can be shared for all to record, mine, analyze and utilized. Private data can in fact be a billion-dollar business as there are many commercial entities who are interested to get hold of the data for their own business exploitation. One of the reasons why we have cryptocurrency is to precisely limit the encroachment of these data coming from the government and business industry. But as in anything in life, we could not live alone by ourselves so somewhere somehow we have to compromise to also get what we want.

Great point buddy!
I totally agree with you.
COMPROMISE is the key word. You always have to be aware of what you are doing and don't ever think that because you are alone behind your desktop you are absolute alone. You could leave some tracks of yourself and many other can take them along your journey in the internet.
That what is really is. It's fine for me even if I care so much about my privacy - but you have to compromise at your best
Activity: 99
Merit: 12
October 25, 2017, 12:25:30 PM

Just keep it in mind

Your private key information will not be shared to anyone from the wallet providers. If you share by your own and sharing wallet.dat will be hackable by the any people. Bitcoin transaction are anoymous anytime because private information will not share whenever you transferring the bitcoin to any concern wallets. Exchangers will comes to know your bank details when you exchange your bitcoin to fiat cash. I have many time trading but none of the people will not looking into share it anyone.

No, your BTC address can be linked to your real identities if you somehow create a BTC address that contains your information. that includes an address that you use to send or receive from exchange or wallets if you want full anonymity you should use mixing service

Although mixing services are illegal in most countries so probably not the best idea if your identity is already linked.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
October 25, 2017, 12:17:06 PM

Just keep it in mind

Your private key information will not be shared to anyone from the wallet providers. If you share by your own and sharing wallet.dat will be hackable by the any people. Bitcoin transaction are anoymous anytime because private information will not share whenever you transferring the bitcoin to any concern wallets. Exchangers will comes to know your bank details when you exchange your bitcoin to fiat cash. I have many time trading but none of the people will not looking into share it anyone.

No, your BTC address can be linked to your real identities if you somehow create a BTC address that contains your information. that includes an address that you use to send or receive from exchange or wallets if you want full anonymity you should use mixing service
Activity: 14
October 25, 2017, 10:32:01 AM
It's great question.No, bitcoin payments are not anonymous.  Bitcoin payments are pseudonymous.  All bitcoin payments go to bitcoin addresses.  Anybody can create an address.  But bitcoin payments are sometimes referred to as prosecution futures, because they are all public and part of bitcoin's immutable public record called the blockchain.
Activity: 254
Merit: 250
October 25, 2017, 06:06:06 AM
It is up to the point you get your wallet. Your transactions are open to everyone, so it's only partly anonymous. Despite what people say about it, Bitcoin wasn't really designed to be completely anonymous.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005
October 25, 2017, 06:01:29 AM

Just keep it in mind

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080
October 25, 2017, 05:57:10 AM
It's as anonymous as you make it. If you are sending your address publicly and then doing public deals then it isn't. If you deal in private then it can be. Everything is public on the blockchain but hides your identity so its up to you to keep it that way.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
October 25, 2017, 05:55:58 AM
As has already been said, the bitcoin is not anonymous, but, rather pseudo-anonymous. If you want full privacy using bitcoin, you should use VPN and Tor for every transaction you make, create new address for every transaction, and use bitcoin mixer service. Or if you want a simpler and safer way you can choose monero for that
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
October 25, 2017, 05:45:43 AM
Firstly, unlike bank accounts and most other payment systems, bitcoin addresses are not tied to the identity of users at the protocol level. Secondly, transactions are also not tied to the identity of users. And thirdly, bitcoins transaction information is transmitted by randomly selected P2P network nodes. It means they are anonymous.

Addresses and transactions can be tied to the identity of users if they aren't careful. If you send money to an exchange where your documents are on file, your incoming transactions can be traced. If you send money out of such an exchange, your outgoing transactions can be traced. To use BTC anonymously, you can't easily take physical delivery of things, and you can't interact with exchanges with regard to fiat money.

If the BTC economy were self-sustaining, it would be more tenable to not use fiat gateways, but as it stands, it's very difficult to e.g. live off crypto while being entirely anonymous.
Activity: 56
October 25, 2017, 05:25:02 AM
Firstly, unlike bank accounts and most other payment systems, bitcoin addresses are not tied to the identity of users at the protocol level. Secondly, transactions are also not tied to the identity of users. And thirdly, bitcoins transaction information is transmitted by randomly selected P2P network nodes. It means they are anonymous.
Activity: 602
Merit: 265
October 25, 2017, 04:54:19 AM
It is anonymous up until you add personal information that can somehow be linked to your bitcoin wallet or transactions. For example giving personal details to an exchange could lead to your coins being traced from the exchange to wherever you send them and beyond.
copper member
Activity: 658
Blockchain Just Entered The Real World
October 25, 2017, 04:49:44 AM
It is - completely. However if you register with an exchange or wallet service that requires you to. It can be linked to that wallet. All the transactions from that wallet can also be followed. So there is a seed planted that can be traced backwards.
Pages:
Jump to: