Pages:
Author

Topic: Is buying bitcoins the same as buying stocks in stock market? - page 5. (Read 2700 times)

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 1248
Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com
I'm just curious, are they just the same?

Bitcoin is different.

The number of Bitcoins doesn't increase your say in spinning the network itself, but you have a voice in the market.  (Market and the network are two totally different things)

Proof of Stake coins are more like buying stocks.  You get a voice in the market and you get a voice in the network because the coins are mined by coins "staking".

That's why I mess with Clamcoin because it's like a Just-Dice stock with a vote.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

It is not the same. Bitcoins are a currency like fiat. Stocks give you ownership in a company. You are entitled to dividends as a stock holder. You don't get any income by just holding bitcoins, except for the price increases of course.

In a way holding Bitcoin is like holding a stock on every pro-Bitcoin company out there, since all companies benefit from Bitcoin having an higher price, so if you are not sure on what company to invest in the crypto field, just buy Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

No not really.
With buying stocks you become share owner of a company.
Bitcoin however can be seen as money or commodity, like gold or silver.I like to compare trading Bitcoin and other altcoins with FX trading.
Furthermore Bitcoin is much more volatile but on the other side it has huge potential for massive gains in the future as we are still in the early years although almost being 8 years old.
Activity: 288
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
well it is not the same thing as bitcoins usually have different exchanges specially for them only, though it is an investment option a bit like stocks
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
A majority of the process is the same, but they aren't really the same because there are a lot of differences within the two markets and how actively money is moved. A lot of what makes Bitcoin so attractive to investors is the volatility it has, and how often the are swings up or down as well as pumps, which have the opportunities for investors to make a lot of money. Bitcoin is more unpredictable than the stock market and there are some key differences, but a lot of the knowledge is the same.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin can be better defined as assets like gold, silver etc but bitcoin can't be touched just like gold after you buy. Buying stocks and buying bitcoin is quite different but both have price volatility giving chance to earn money trading them, however price volatility is higher in bitcoin so making it more profitable and also risky.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010
BTC to the moon is inevitable...
they are the same but they also have differences too.
as it was said before bitcoin is a currency also so you can withdraw it and use it as such, exactly like forex market so i guess it is more similar that way.
but the trading part is similar you place orders and buy and sell the same way. and technical analysis works here too.
the difference however is that stocks market is so much bigger and there is a company behind the stock that you buy but there is no company behind bitcoin and it is pure supply and demand.
Activity: 1638
Merit: 505
if you trade bitcoin then it was just all right. with bitcoin we can buy and sell them. as well as the stock market, we benefit from the margin. Different is bitcoin more like we do trade currencies. everyone has his point of view respectively. for me like that.
Activity: 51
Merit: 0

The same in what respect? Clearly stocks and Bitcoin are entirely different things. Bitcoin is not a company, but a decentralized currency and value transfer system. The Bitcoin software and network is not owned by anyone. Logically, Bitcoin pays no dividends and you need no bank to obtain ownership.

Bitcoin is both a store of value and a service to move value around. So I don't think that these hybrid nature can be directly compared to other assets, which are only the former. I think the only thing that's similar compared to investing in the stock market (or any other asset) is the risk involved. Bitcoin's value fluctuates. There is no 100% assurance, that Bitcoin will be successful and maintain or increase its purchasing power.

ya.ya.yo!

Yosh! Noted, sir! Maybe their concept of buying and selling and as you've said the risk, made me think they're just the same. Thank you!

It is not the same. Bitcoins are a currency like fiat. Stocks give you ownership in a company. You are entitled to dividends as a stock holder. You don't get any income by just holding bitcoins, except for the price increases of course.

Oh. Okay, I see. Maybe they're just the same in the concept of buying and selling. Thank you for answering!
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

The same in what respect? Clearly stocks and Bitcoin are entirely different things. Bitcoin is not a company, but a decentralized currency and value transfer system. The Bitcoin software and network is not owned by anyone. Logically, Bitcoin pays no dividends and you need no bank to obtain ownership.

Bitcoin is both a store of value and a service to move value around. So I don't think that these hybrid nature can be directly compared to other assets, which are only the former. I think the only thing that's similar compared to investing in the stock market (or any other asset) is the risk involved. Bitcoin's value fluctuates. There is no 100% assurance, that Bitcoin will be successful and maintain or increase its purchasing power.

ya.ya.yo!
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
if you just look at the buying part, then you can say that it's nearly identical. in both cases you are buying and selling from an order book. however, with stocks you are forced to buy a minimum of 1 stock. you can't choose to buy like 0.1 stock, or 0.75, or 10.65 stock like you can with bitcoin. again, i'm just talking about the buying process.
legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

Buying bitcoin is same as buying gold, because you are investing in something that the price can go higher or lower in the future and you also can spend bitcoin like normal money and it's different from the stock shares.
Activity: 1694
Merit: 516

Pages:
Jump to: