Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it good or bad that Core development is virtually controlled by one company? - page 12. (Read 8156 times)

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
This is nonsense. This has nothing to do with control. Only 1 developer from Blockstream has commit access and that is what matters. Stop reading biased sub-reddits such as "r/btc" as your source of news (i.e. take the news with a grain of salt).

So Tor's development is driven by the US government?
Apparently.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
I would believe believe most developments would be run by only one company. Or maybe two or three at most.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
So Tor's development is driven by the US government? Just trying to understand your logic behind this.

TOR development is funded by the US government, but not necessarily driven by it. Unlike corporations, governments (at least in theory) are not created/structured to generate profit.

Corporations, of course, are responsible to their shareholders, typically to generate financial gains.
Imagine such a for-profit corporation, a hot dog bun manufacturer, being placed in charge of your lunch menu.
Question: All other things being equal, do you think you'll eat hot dogs or hamburgers more often?
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
So Tor's development is driven by the US government? Just trying to understand your logic behind this.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
I was recently reading this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/43pq1z/i_didnt_realize_how_bad_it_is_blockstream_has_9/?ref=search_posts

And it seems scary that Bitcoin Core development is driven by a single company. With news that this company got $55 mil founding more, I worry they will be doing more to please and make profits for themselfs and investors, rather than what's good for Bitcoin's community.

When did Bitcoin go from being free and community driven development with volunteers fighting against current financial systems and companies, into de-facto companies driven project with primary goal of fast financial gains?

Pages:
Jump to: