Pages:
Author

Topic: Is it possible for someone to manipulate the virtual currency market? - page 7. (Read 1793 times)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0
Yes it's possible. If someone holds a large amount of certain cryptocurrency a single move if his coins can easily affect the value.
Nfp
Activity: 168
Merit: 14
If an entity is large and powerful enough, is it possible for it to gain a monopoly advantage and manipulate the rises and falls of the virtual currency market?

Yes it could be possible, but only for those who are most influential people that are holding a huge amount of cryptocurrency. They can make to manipulate the market value of a cryptocurrency by just selling and buying a huge amount of cryptocurrency they like.
Activity: 630
Merit: 101
With the right resources - it is relatively easy (for now) to manipulate crypto currency price.

It’s another reason why one should always be careful of what they’re investing in.

Factors such as:

how much influence in media one has
how many tokens one / a group of connected individuals have
market cap of the token in question
trust / believability
how much one is willing to spend on said manipulation
Activity: 224
Merit: 10
Yes it could be, it's one of the negative thing about crypto, because its decentralised so the market able to be manipulated.
Activity: 420
That is really possible, if a big entity or a very rich person holding a hug chunk of the token. He definitely could manipulate the market. But what I see now is that there are investment that has minimum and maximum purchase of every individual and they even verifying the person. But yeah, its possible.
Activity: 224
Merit: 10
Of course, having a large amount of Bitcoin can manipulate the virtual currency market.
Activity: 76
Merit: 1
Yes, it is really possible for someone to manipulate virtual currency depending in what cryptocurrency,  if someone invest or hold a lots of coin then withdraw it, it will affect that specific currency market. This is thing was really happening in market industry so i think it is possible also to happen in virtual cerrency market.
Activity: 50
Yes, it's quite possible!! Because there is no existing perfect market around the whole world, any entities who are powerful enough can largely influnce the market supply and price. Acutually, we can find lots of monopoly in different countries. Even for digital currencies, there is still concern on if they will be controled by a few strong
exchanges which enter the markets much earlier and have much more knowledge.
Activity: 55
It depends on which virtual currency. For example, Bitcoin and ETH are very popular and held by many users evenly, it would be hard to manipulate the market. Moreover, there is no benefit for those holder for manipulating the currency since all holders want the price rising.
Activity: 210
It is possible, there are people who hold small and large stocks in the market so, those people who have large amount of stocks are possible to control this because they have the ability due to their large amount of money. And it is always depend on demands and supply in the market in a day. All those that have currency value can all be manipulated due to the rise and fall of currency values.
Activity: 238
https://i.imgur.com/iwknjIj.png
Yes it is possible, specially those who owns a big amount of stocks in the market or has high position in the market who has capabilities to control. And the fact that crypto currencies value will rise and fall depending on the demands and supply of the day. that is why it can be manipulated.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 38
Sure it is possible because the price of crypto currency is based on demand and supply then they can manipulate it and it can be done by decreasing the demand or increasing the supply.
Activity: 392
dApps Development Automation Platform
Since one of the things that greatly impacts digital currency is the demand vs. the supply, then most probably, it is possible for manipulation and monopoly to occur. People with huge shares or holdings more likely have the power to do such thing especially when they decide to sell a huge amount of its holdings. Situations like this is very much normal and happens almost all the time.
Activity: 644
Merit: 263
Digital currencies such as bitcoin seems to be endless. Maybe because there is no actual regulation or law that this abides. Hence, I think gaining a monopoly out of it is possible but would be hard since there are also other people who would do the same and right now I am not really sure of how big will be its impact on the community.

Indeed thats what happening at the very moment. The decentralisation or in simple terms "no regulations" over the bitcoin are making the way for rich people to create monopoly in the world of crypto currencies. This gives them one step ahead as they got the pre-requisite which is nothing but money and load of money. What they needed to cook the recipe was decentralised nature of the bitcoin with which it was brought into existence.  Roll Eyes There you go start of the monopoly.

I am not really sure of how big will be its impact on the community.

No one can tell surely but I believe when we see massive pumps and dumps, they are the result of such monopolies.
Activity: 140
Yes I think it's possible we never know who's up there to rise and fall of price value we also never knew  has the big influence and to manipulate it but its possible, considering that they're the one who really knew how it can be done with out us knowing it, there are factors contributing to it, people,investor, the technology and all that they can bw all.part of it. Although we can really can tell how is it.
Activity: 854
Merit: 257
Digital currencies such as bitcoin seems to be endless. Maybe because there is no actual regulation or law that this abides. Hence, I think gaining a monopoly out of it is possible but would be hard since there are also other people who would do the same and right now I am not really sure of how big will be its impact on the community.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057
It is not only being done by public figures and the media, even companies and exchanges sometimes do play tricks on people. I have noticed it several times. I make use of one popular exchanger (I won’t mention their name, but they are very popular) they are used to setting Bitcoin price rate about 5% or so above others, and I have complained it to them several times, but they keep neglecting my messages. So I decided to quit and go with better ones. So market can be full of manipulations.
Manipulation is not a new thing and it is a good thing you detected it earlier. In fact, from the look of things, the exchanges are even the biggest manipulators here when it comes to the market for either bitcoin or altcoins. They have the resources, they have the power and most times, they roll in a group and always decide to make the decisions when they all feel like. That is how I feel anyway.
Activity: 2702
Merit: 704
Bitcoin is GOD
If an entity is large and powerful enough, is it possible for it to gain a monopoly advantage and manipulate the rises and falls of the virtual currency market?
Yes it is possible, but it is not going to be easy after all the power in bitcoin is fragmented, the miners have some power, the devs, political entities, the media, the exchanges and any big holder of coins have influence over the market but unless they conspire to try to manipulate the market then changing the direction up or down will not be easy at all.
Activity: 340
Merit: 100
Of course yes and, by the way, it happens all the time, almost continuously. There are such whales around, people with such massive assets that they are able to totally manipulate any market. And they do it.
Activity: 462
Merit: 100
Ofcourse it does and thats one of the reason why bitcoin massively decrease because of the price last december price that reach $19,000 and also on those people has a 30% of bitcoin and they are called whales. they are one of the reasons of the unbalancing and unstable price on bitcoin. manipulating peoples mind by spreading Negative issue that gets people sale theyre stack coin and affect the price of coins. but also if they want to release a goodnews it will affect also to the price and maybe goes up.
Pages:
Jump to: