Pages:
Author

Topic: Is stealing Bitcoin illegal? - page 39. (Read 39503 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
July 23, 2016, 03:40:58 AM
I don't think there are any laws specifically stating creating an address that already has someone else's bitcoin in it and then keeping that bitcoin for yourself is illegal. However, I do believe there are laws stating that taking other's people's property in general without their consent is stealing and therefore illegal.
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
July 22, 2016, 07:50:17 PM
In the OP's example, the analogy would be equivalent to digging a random hole in the dessert and by chance finding somebody else's buried treasure. That somebody is probably still alive and intends to retrieve the treasure at some later point in time. I think that it is still illegal since you are taking somebody else's property that was not abandoned.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1598
July 22, 2016, 07:39:45 PM
That's like asking if stealing drugs is illegal... Of course it is, but as soon as you call the police, you can both be guilty for it. Maybe BTC is illegal in your country, or... Who knows?Huh
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
July 22, 2016, 06:19:49 PM
This is the same thing as, Is hacking illegal?  Basically they need to hack your computer to steal your bitcoin.  So yeah stealing Bitcoin is illegal.  Worst is in my country any crime committed in internet falls under cyber crime law that gives penalty one degree higher than the usual stealing / robbery  case.
Yeah although bitcoin does not have any legislation. but bitcoin is already yours. a person who has entered into a purse
or your house and take what is in it is to steal and activities that harm others people of course it is illegal activity dude
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1153
July 22, 2016, 06:00:06 PM
This is the same thing as, Is hacking illegal?  Basically they need to hack your computer to steal your bitcoin.  So yeah stealing Bitcoin is illegal.  Worst is in my country any crime committed in internet falls under cyber crime law that gives penalty one degree higher than the usual stealing / robbery  case.
Activity: 826
Merit: 502
July 22, 2016, 05:59:11 PM
I think stealing anything from anyone is against the law and is an immoral act. In Bitcoin, when someone steals your money, it's highly unlikely that you will catch the thief in real life. Tracing someone online is quite hard specially if the thief is good at hiding his IP address and his whereabouts. You have to know the whereabouts of the thief to catch him in real life.
Activity: 686
July 22, 2016, 05:48:32 PM
I would assume this would be illegal. It is definitely unethical to take someone else's money. However, it would be hard to prove who took it.

Yeah it is unethical to take someone else money unless he give you that amount willingly, the better option is that you should have to return that amount to the holder of the address if it is unable to find, then remove that address.
Activity: 364
Merit: 254
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
July 22, 2016, 05:43:25 PM
I would assume this would be illegal. It is definitely unethical to take someone else's money. However, it would be hard to prove who took it.
Activity: 896
Merit: 514
July 22, 2016, 05:25:53 PM
Yes, stealing in any form is illegal, be it Bitcoin or fiat. Infact it's people's hard earned money and stealing it just because you could be undetectable is unethical. Stealing impacts in a great way, it impacts even how the market performs, just like when a lot of Bitcoins are stolen from large exchanges. It's always better to safeguard your Bitcoins.
yes there is no doubt about this. stealing of every thing is bad. and bitcoin is a currency just like your fiat currency so stealing of bitcoin means that you are stealing the property of some one. or stealing money from him.
yes that is absolutely right. stealing of bitcoin means that if you are going to steal money from some one or to steal some thing having high value. so it is not good to steal bitcoin from some one.

you are right that stealing of everything is illegal like in shape of money , gold and bitcoin mean any thing to steal is illegal and they will be must punished by law of government or any organization.
Activity: 658
July 22, 2016, 03:25:52 PM
Yes, stealing in any form is illegal, be it Bitcoin or fiat. Infact it's people's hard earned money and stealing it just because you could be undetectable is unethical. Stealing impacts in a great way, it impacts even how the market performs, just like when a lot of Bitcoins are stolen from large exchanges. It's always better to safeguard your Bitcoins.
yes there is no doubt about this. stealing of every thing is bad. and bitcoin is a currency just like your fiat currency so stealing of bitcoin means that you are stealing the property of some one. or stealing money from him.
yes that is absolutely right. stealing of bitcoin means that if you are going to steal money from some one or to steal some thing having high value. so it is not good to steal bitcoin from some one.

But if you read the contents in the OP then you will come to know that the OP is discussing some special case, in there is asking that if he generate a bitcoin address and it will have some bitcoins ( actually OP is considering that available bitcoin in the address as stealing it from someone else). I think it will never ever happen and if that happened and your system handled someone else address to you then try to reback it. and report about it. By the way it will never happen as the technology of bitcoin is not that much worst.
Activity: 501
Merit: 340
Bye Felisha!
July 22, 2016, 03:03:13 PM
I never exactly understood how people justify stealing. Its really sad, its become part of American culture from politics to your everyday craigslist scammer. Its ridiculous.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
July 22, 2016, 02:58:19 PM
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
July 22, 2016, 01:01:25 PM
Activity: 616
Merit: 603
July 22, 2016, 11:58:26 AM
Activity: 714
July 22, 2016, 11:50:32 AM
of course its illegal, not only for bitcoin, but for everything

Yeah, all the things that concerned about stealing is something that is detrimental to their victims. Because the thief take something belonging to another person without permission or prior notification, and those who become victims of highly disadvantaged
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
July 22, 2016, 11:34:43 AM
Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.
I think it's not stealing, because you didn't do anything. If you feel stealing from it, who is to blame?
If it happens.. Take it, dont worry, its legal. Wink
And in the blockchain system, i think it will not happen, because total of bitcoin addresses it's a lot.
yes, it is legal if it happens like that, but if you intentionally take someone from walletnya bitcoin, it was called a thief and it is clearly illegal. it's the same as taking money in the bank without anyone in mind. of course it was very dangerous and of course the money you get is illegal. maybe you'd better not do that
yeah that's illegal, but op says.
I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else.
of course it doesn't accidentally.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
July 22, 2016, 11:22:47 AM
Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.

The chance that going to happen is near to 0%. That's more likely impossible to happen.
But let's say it's happened somehow, still it's wrong if you take it because it's not yours, it's belong to someone else.
yes there is no argument and reason through which we can say that bitcoin stealing is legal. it is almost illegal in any case just like stealing things in real life.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
July 22, 2016, 10:52:32 AM
Steeling is a criminal activity. You again would want to fall in the same lake? First change such kinds of thoughts and try to post a valuable threads as everyone here spends their precious time in posting to a valuable threads. When you can think of such threads, why can't you think of a post which is really welcomed and attracted to post.
Activity: 420
July 21, 2016, 10:27:05 AM

The chance that going to happen is near to 0%. That's more likely impossible to happen.
But let's say it's happened somehow, still it's wrong if you take it because it's not yours, it's belong to someone else.

Everyone seems to be saying that doing that would be morally wrong and I agree because finding Bitcoin like that isn't like getting a dollar off the ground, it would be more like finding a wallet somewhere with some money and a drivers license in there. It's just up to the person to decide whether it's right or not, someone is definitely missing that wallet but you don't actually know them so you make the decision of whether you find spending that money right or not.
Activity: 412
July 21, 2016, 09:50:33 AM
Any act of stealing someone's property is a fellony, therefore is illegalç. Bitcoin in a sense is property, so you can't steal someone's Bitcoins and think that it is not illegal
Pages:
Jump to: