Pages:
Author

Topic: Is stealing Bitcoin illegal? - page 38. (Read 39503 times)

Activity: 1061
Merit: 502
RIP: S5, A faithful device long time
July 25, 2016, 04:16:55 PM
Hey,

Yes its illegal act...
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1024
July 25, 2016, 03:28:33 PM
If the question were you to make an account and it has some balance wouldnt be  a steal as you created the wallet, besides that if you had hackef or acessed someone wallets it would be ilegal as well a steal action.
Well it might still be considered stealing, since he has accidentally overlapped an address that contains bitcoins, and those aren't his either so technically, that is indeed stealing. However, he isn't to be blamed for such an event to happen.
Activity: 396
Merit: 104
July 25, 2016, 01:03:16 PM
Bitcoin is a money and stealing a money is absolutely illegal actually stealing anything is illegal and bitcoin has a good nice value to how it can be legal.

According to certain theory, if you have coded a contract and there is loop hole in the code, you lose your bitcoin, it is legal.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1280
Hire Bitcointalk Camp. Manager @ r7promotions.com
July 25, 2016, 12:45:10 PM
If the question were you to make an account and it has some balance wouldnt be  a steal as you created the wallet, besides that if you had hackef or acessed someone wallets it would be ilegal as well a steal action.

Yeah that is what im trying to say, the wallet was created by you, how can you steal your own creation?  It is originally yours.  It is different from hacking thru accounts and getting bitcoins and transfer it to your account.  There is really big difference from this two.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
July 25, 2016, 10:24:49 AM
Activity: 1498
Merit: 547
Pugs are the best!
July 25, 2016, 10:18:54 AM
Maybe since It's not yours. But just like what you've said that you only generate an address and suddenly it has bitcoin in it, then maybe it's not. Finders Keepers.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1011
July 25, 2016, 09:00:50 AM
bitcoin is anonymous so not regulated still work
but several country ready regulated legal about bitcoin example japan USA and more
Yes bitcoin is anonymous but stealing other money is illegal even you use Fiat or bitcoin or what it is , if you caught your stealing some ones money you will be jailed the good thing about bitcoin. It is hard to trace.
yes if it is a criminal act that is harmful to others. all things illegally will be punished in accordance with what was done.
TGD
Activity: 1288
Merit: 620
Wen Rolex?
July 25, 2016, 08:58:42 AM
but several country ready regulated legal about bitcoin example japan USA and more
Yes bitcoin is anonymous but stealing other money is illegal even you use Fiat or bitcoin or what it is , if you caught your stealing some ones money you will be jailed the good thing about bitcoin. It is hard to trace.
Activity: 1148
Merit: 527
July 24, 2016, 02:12:06 AM
Since when is stealing something legal? Of course it is illegal to steal Bitcoin. It's easy to steal, and if it was legal... Everyone would've become thieves Cheesy don't scam guys, the bad stuff you do ALWAYS turns against you.
Well, if you cared to read what OP's post is, you would know that he is not just simply asking about stealing as something illegal.

As for OP, if that near-impossible event was to happen to you, then I believe it's not your fault entirely that you get free bitcoins as a headstart from that address. It would only then rely to what you think is right to do.
But don't worry about it, since just as many have said, it's really not going to happen.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
July 23, 2016, 07:47:42 PM
Since when is stealing something legal? Of course it is illegal to steal Bitcoin. It's easy to steal, and if it was legal... Everyone would've become thieves Cheesy don't scam guys, the bad stuff you do ALWAYS turns against you.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
July 23, 2016, 07:23:39 PM
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
July 23, 2016, 03:53:41 PM
In your case it sounds like you found it, and who found it can keep it! But that doesn't mean that you can't try to find the real owner and return coins. Stealing is when you take something from someone, no matter what, and that is not nice thing to do.
Finding things like money or something that worth is just luck. But like someone said, chances to find wallet with money inside is like you are waiting money to fall from the sky. Almost impossible!
Activity: 281
Merit: 250
July 23, 2016, 03:28:22 PM
yes stealing of every thing is wrong and illegal morally and every lawfully. similarly stealing of bitcoin is also a sin.
Activity: 281
July 23, 2016, 03:19:04 PM
i think stealing of not only bitcoin but stealing of every thing is against the law. and it is morally not good. it is a sin.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 23, 2016, 02:58:44 PM
Bitcoin is a money and stealing a money is absolutely illegal actually stealing anything is illegal and bitcoin has a good nice value to how it can be legal.
Activity: 420
July 23, 2016, 02:49:16 PM
I never exactly understood how people justify stealing. Its really sad, its become part of American culture from politics to your everyday craigslist scammer. Its ridiculous.
Lol yeah it was very clear that stealing is taking the rights of others. and of course it will hurt anyone. so I think it is illegal
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
July 23, 2016, 02:23:27 PM
Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.
Yes, stealing is illegal because it has bad effect to the people who stealed their bitcoins , people who have no heart will do it and the hackers  Angry

It's not about a bad effect, but it's about against the law. Stealing, however stated is always wrong.
What happened with the DAO was a bug in the code, and although the situation is different it's still called stealing.
Activity: 81
Merit: 0
July 23, 2016, 02:07:59 PM
I would assume this would be illegal. It is definitely unethical to take someone else's money. However, it would be hard to prove who took it.

I agree with that. But according to some bitcoin shills, stealing Ethereum from DAO is legal even though it against to the DAO holder's wills.
Activity: 420
July 23, 2016, 12:44:51 PM
Let's say I generate a new address and by some miracle it has Bitcoin already in it belonging to somebody else. Is it legal to just take it? I understand those odds are very low, no need to lecture me, I'm just interested.
Yes, stealing is illegal because it has bad effect to the people who stealed their bitcoins , people who have no heart will do it and the hackers  Angry
Activity: 980
Merit: 523
July 23, 2016, 06:15:47 AM
yes stealing of bitcoin already illegal and anything to steal is illegal .
Pages:
Jump to: