Pages:
Author

Topic: Is The Purpose of The Merit System Defeated? - page 2. (Read 678 times)

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1610
The BSFL Sherrif 📛
Imagine going to a mall for the first time and the next day you start advising the manager to restrict selling candies to teenagers isn't that ridiculous? You want to reduce newbies posting right just because you want merit to be allocated to y'all while spamming the B&H, and for your information not all newbies are crypto amateur and not all legendary are crypto expert. If you want merit work hard and earned it and stop wasting your time trying to change the forum rules
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 7892

Gross. You're in the exact same boat as OP, and you've been plagiarizing since your first post.

*BTC surveys=

You should know the following things before you serve
*Background   
*Creation   
*Growth   
*Prices and value history   
*Forks   
*Regulatory issues   
*Bitcoin faucets   
*Theft and exchange shutdowns   
*Taxation and regulation   
etc

Your list looks familiar. Oh, that's because you copied straight down the list from the table of contents for the Wikipedia History of Bitcoin article.

Why didn't you include Arbitrary blockchain content? Lol.

So actually you're in a worse boat than OP. There's no reason for you to be here. Please don't come back under a new account.
Activity: 122
Merit: 19
https://i.imgur.com/0cKROEC.png
Please sir, I am just few weeks old in this platform, help me to grow. Thank you sir.

I think you have posted for some merit. I am also new here. You are also new. We have to understand the forum issue first. Did the application you made have the rules of your application? No, because your ID is less than 90 days, you have got a lot of merit. You have posted many. Everyone wants a new day just like you want to enjoy your talent for a few days. So the forum does not want to follow these rules or your application is not successful.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
But the OP needs to be checked again, he probably also belongs to this gang.
Some other users also threw this allegation at me. But I don't understand why it should be. Is it that my post is egocentric or above what a newbie should post.
Your post wasn't really egocentric so much as--and I don't mean this as an insult--ignorant.  And by that I mean that your suggestions were made without knowing that many of them have been made and rejected previously, and from what you wrote it's obvious you don't understand what the moderators here do and don't do (and will never do). 

When you register on a forum and start making recommendations without having all of the facts, it does come off as being a bit egotistical and presumptuous, but I don't fault you for seeing where some of the problems on the forum are and your willingness to speak up in order to fix them.  The problem is that the community doesn't have much of a say in how the forum is run.  It's pretty much all up to Theymos, and he's decided not to bring back the newbie jail and not to restrict them any more than the merit system currently does. 

In other words, the merit system was Theymos's solution to the plague of newbie BS that was at its peak in December 2017.  I think things have improved significantly since then--you weren't here in 2017, so you don't really have a sense of how bad things had gotten and how much the merit system cleaned up the forum.  Things certainly aren't perfect now, but it's better than it used to be.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
Please sir, I am just few weeks old in this platform, help me to grow. Thank you sir.
In two weeks since you created this account, you managed to make 12 threads. This has to be some kind of record.

Then why are you already posting in Meta? If you're not the slightest bit interested in learning about or discussing Bitcoin, you should probably leave.
He clearly said what's his goal in this forum in his first post here. He came for merit, and consequently spot in the signature campaign. As I told him in that first topic he created, he is simply fishing too hard for merit, and that will bite him in the ass.

For the newbie, I believe most of us are sharing in my wish. My wish to become a legend, a legend with so much merits and positive trust
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 7892
I am just few weeks old in this platform

Then why are you already posting in Meta? If you're not the slightest bit interested in learning about or discussing Bitcoin, you should probably leave.

The merit system does defeat itself when it leads to the formation of threads like this one, threads that serve no purpose other than to get merit.

Your very first post is about what newbies should do to get merit.  Cheesy

The jokes people play to get back into this forum...

@Quickteller I am definitely going to work harder.  I have learnt to report good post for it to be merited. I also learn to copy down the post link in a notepad pending when I have sendable merit.  Thank you all, I am grateful.

There's only one account who has ever made this particular spelling error on the forum. This better not be who I think it is.  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**

This is the point. You can post anywhere, it will help to grow and learn.
Because many who are experienced, don't always go to the beginners' tab. So if you have a mining question, go to the mining tab, and so on. In these places you will find what you need.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1018
Hello Leo! You can still win.
Tell me, how can we prevent someone from reading something?
The OP did not say anyone should be prevented from reading. It says newbies would be allowed to read in every board for learning purposes and allowed to post only in Beginners and Help.

But the OP needs to be checked again, he probably also belongs to this gang.
Some other users also threw this allegation at me. But I don't understand why it should be. Is it that my post is egocentric or above what a newbie should post.
If the later is valid, that means the OP is validated. Maybe because I didn't undergo the proposed orientation to know the kind of post to make as a newbie.
Activity: 122
Merit: 19
https://i.imgur.com/0cKROEC.png
I think there is no need to do this. Because every board has rules. Every new member is advised to read the rules well. Almost everywhere. Those who do not follow the rules are punished. Many spam, copy and paste people are banned. So every person must read the rules and then post them.

Note: as soon as each new member joins, he is given a message. The rules should be introduced.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
After the expiration of 90days, the forum moderators shall examine the performance of every newbie, then immediately award a certain number of merits(Let's say 10, 20, 50 etc) according to the performance of the newbie in this 90days orientation period.
All of the rest of your suggestion would never come to pass, but the above is the true deal-killer, since that's not what moderators do.  \

Mods on bitcointalk basically put out fires, because there aren't enough of them to deal with all of the garbage posts and other rule violations that happen every day--if I understand it correctly, they basically rely on reports from members in order for them to see what's going wrong.  And even if that's not entirely true, it's mostly true, and there's no way in hell Theymos is going to put the burden of monitoring all of the newbies on the forum (which increases daily) to make sure they're "progressing".

Besides, most of this has been suggested before anyway, well before you registered here.  As was pointed out, Theymos isn't bringing back the newbie jail system.  I also think the merit system is doing just fine, as long as merit sources keep doing their jobs and as long as non-merit sources keep meriting posts they like.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
I liked points 2 and 4. Grin Grin
Tell me, how can we prevent someone from reading something?
The forum is available without registration.
And point 4 is generally a masterpiece.
Just take a look at how many newbies come to the forum and then the moderators have to check each one? Lol
Well, on merits, this is generally brilliant, especially if we assume that some accounts cannot receive one merit within 5 years

You must be crazy if you think moderators have enough time to investigate all posts from newbies, and btw you are also a newbie who is trying to write some suggestion bs posts just to earn some merit.
So fake and lame... one more goes on Ignore list.
We are now getting this on a daily basis, newbie accounts with very limited bitcointalk forum experience, suggesting changes that were asked numerous times before. How crazy is that, to think that you can give some solid advice to forum staff after few weeks of being active on the forum. Meh...

Two accounts supporting this idea have already been identified as alternative accounts that like to talk to themselves. But the OP needs to be checked again, he probably also belongs to this gang.

Forum mission is to encourage everyone to be in the ecosystem.

Bitcointalk forum is an organized ecosystem
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
You must be crazy if you think moderators have enough time to investigate all posts from newbies, and btw you are also a newbie who is trying to write some suggestion bs posts just to earn some merit.
So fake and lame... one more goes on Ignore list.
We are now getting this on a daily basis, newbie accounts with very limited bitcointalk forum experience, suggesting changes that were asked numerous times before. How crazy is that, to think that you can give some solid advice to forum staff after few weeks of being active on the forum. Meh...
copper member
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1777
฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.
I propose that;
1. The newbies should be restricted to posting only in Beginners and Help Board.
2. However, newbies should be allowed to read in all boards for learning purposes.
3. All other members save newbies can post in the Beginners and Help.
4. Every newbie should remain in this status for a period of 90days. After the expiration of 90days, the forum moderators shall examine the performance of every newbie, then immediately award a certain number of merits(Let's say 10, 20, 50 etc) according to the performance of the newbie in this 90days orientation period. Also place the user in any rank other than newbie according to the performance aswell.
I bet if you were a newbie who had just registered and found such restrictions, chances are very high that you would have given up contributing to the forum. Hell, I almost gave up on the forum due to the merit restrictions that were new to me at the time.

If you have noticed, a good number of new accounts are created to ask questions about certain things like Trading, mining, Bitcoin wallets, transactions etc. and open up scam accusations. Now all that is supposed to be posted in specific boards. Imagine all that clutter in Beginners and Help board.

How do you expect to determine some's performance if they are going to post in Beginners and help only?
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
What you propose is a modified newbie jail... Here's what Theymos said about this concept:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.40849533

--snip--
Limiting newbie participation is very harmful for a community. Newbie jail will never return: I consider the newbie-jail period to have been extremely damaging to the forum. When barriers to participation are too high, then the best people often just won't go to the trouble of joining, and the people who are willing to jump through the hoops are often people who aren't good for the community: people with nothing better to do, scammers, get-rick-quickers, etc. Having a permanent newbie jail policy would improve things a lot in the short-term, but would end up being a fatal poison to the community.

The low signal-to-noise is a real issue which seriously annoys me and is often on my mind. But as you mention, fixing it non-destructively is difficult.

So, the odds of this proposal being implemented are small...
From themos Post I found a fact that the forum aren't really happy over any decision that will demand mod of post or topic or account banning. Forum mission is to encourage everyone to be in the ecosystem.

The thought and idea people has towards merit is just too adamant that got me thinking like what do users really think is the purpose of existence in the forum? Merit is not a title but an encouragement to user with a helpful and quality post. But many users misunderstood this fact and begins to abuse the forum simply because the needed merits.

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
1. The newbies should be restricted to posting only in Beginners and Help Board.
Members who participate in the forum as newbies can probably be legendary members on other forums. Probably they are not newbies in cryptocurrency too.

Additionally, Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ presents board descriptions. If you read the section Guideline for threads, you will understand the restrictions you suggested is non-sense.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1063
-snip
this is a FREE forum and not a company. why make it so hard for newbies to participate in a discussion they are interested in? the reason why there are some restrictions to newbies is to at least lessen the spam and such, without actually heavily affecting newbies who are genuinely interested in bitcoin, cryptocurrency, or the forum. your suggestion will make it hard for them to participate in different discussions on different boards and will make their experience here in the forum unpleasant.

I understand, but whichever way, I would stil have made the post in Beginners and Help which still fits in.
META is created for the purpose of suggestions or anything that has something to do with the forum itself and this topic doesn't fit in beginners and help.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
There's too many newbies and not enough mods to monitor them all (there's only a dozen or so staff) and although it's a paid job, moderators don't want to work all day examining newbies' posts since that won't leave them time for their work/personal lives, so this proposal will likely be rejected for this reason alone.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1018
Hello Leo! You can still win.
I propose that;

If that rule was in effect, you couldn't have posted it here!
In other words, you are already breaking your own rule.

But luckily this rule doesn't exist, and it allowed you to share other ideas to the community. Do you see the advantage of not having these limitations?

I understand, but whichever way, I would stil have made the post in Beginners and Help which still fits in.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
I propose that;

If that rule was in effect, you couldn't have posted it here!
In other words, you are already breaking your own rule.

But luckily this rule doesn't exist, and it allowed you to share other ideas to the community. Do you see the advantage of not having these limitations?
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
You do realize this would mean 75% of the topics you've created wouldn't exist if you had your way, right? Including the one I'm reading now.

Cons:
1. It will limit the chances of a user in a campaign to complete his/her weekly task. However, I don't know if newbies involves in campaigns or not.
You forget the real Bitcoin users who run into a real problem, and post on Bitcointalk for a solution. They won't find that solution on the "Beginners" board, they find it on the tech boards. Those real users shouldn't be restricted in any way, as they're the future of Bitcointalk.
The users who join for "campaigns" will keep doing so, with as many accounts as they can. The real user won't wait for 90 days before he can ask a question.
Pages:
Jump to: