Pages:
Author

Topic: Is The Purpose of The Merit System Defeated? - page 3. (Read 678 times)

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
I propose that;
The newbies should be restricted to posting only in Beginners and Help Board.
This is so bad to propose something like things because if there is one place for newbies to write freely that is Beginners and Help section, especially coming from someone who registered in Bitcointalk forum on 28 May 2021  Roll Eyes

Every newbie should remain in this status for a period of 90days. After the expiration of 90days, the forum moderators shall examine the performance of every newbie, then immediately award a certain number of merits(Let's say 10, 20, 50 etc) according to the performance of the newbie in this 90days orientation period. Also place the user in any rank other than newbie according to the performance aswell.
You must be crazy if you think moderators have enough time to investigate all posts from newbies, and btw you are also a newbie who is trying to write some suggestion bs posts just to earn some merit.
So fake and lame... one more goes on Ignore list.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5634
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
1. The newbies should be restricted to posting only in Beginners and Help Board.

Only this first suggestion would create big problems for the forum, as this board is just meant for beginners to ask some basic questions - but specific questions and discussions still need to take place in their assigned boards. I think that such a restriction would discourage many beginners, especially those who want to offer or seek a service. Even if your proposal were implemented, 90 days is simply too much to limit someone to just one board - and moderators are not the ones to decide who qualifies to be a member of the forum or share merits with them.

The Merit system is very well-thought-out and for me personally it has done a lot of positives for the forum, although there will always be those who will not approve of it for some of their own reasons.

2. The rate of plagiarism will reduce aswell.

Anyone who wants to plagiarize will do so anywhere on the forum, I don't think the B&H board would be an exception. The only thing that would make sense is to forgive beginners the first such offense - but that would again require some kind of record and a lot of work for the moderators who are not too many anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1908
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
1. The newbies should be restricted to posting only in Beginners and Help Board.
Someone might be a newbie in the forum but his/her knowledge can't be. They can be good knowledged in cryptocurrency than most of the senior/hero/legendary members of the forum. Wouldn’t that hurt the newbie if they are restricted?
Spam isn’t only done by newbie. Most campaigns require x amount of posts which indirectly are responsible for the spam.
I think current system is good but being a little more harsh on moderating or increasing the stuff would be good idea to prevent the spam.
Also, see what theymos think about newbie jail.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
The wrong assumption here that just because one person has a "Newbie" rank, that it automatically means that he/she is a noob concerning Bitcoin. Always remember that every single Bitcoiner didn't gain their knowledge through Bitcointalk, because there are other huge Bitcoin communities online as well. Namely: Reddit and Twitter.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange

I strongly disagree, few reason,
1. They might need help about Bitcoin which need some technical knowledge. See Bitcoin Technical Support.
2. Newbie rank in this forum doesn't mean they can't make quality post or contribute. An example, Breaking Mixing Services.

2. However, newbies should be allowed to read in all boards for learning purposes.

FYI, anyone who visit this website already can do it (expect board reserved for moderator).

3. All other members save newbies can post in the Beginners and Help.

What do you mean by "save"?

4. Every newbie should remain in this status for a period of 90days. After the expiration of 90days, the forum moderators shall examine the performance of every newbie, then immediately award a certain number of merits(Let's say 10, 20, 50 etc) according to the performance of the newbie in this 90days orientation period. Also place the user in any rank other than newbie according to the performance aswell.

I doubt moderator have time or willing to perform evaluation.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
<...>
Try to be an established member (senior, hero or legendary) before making this kind of post, you will be differently oriented at that time.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
What you propose is a modified newbie jail... Here's what Theymos said about this concept:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.40849533

--snip--
Limiting newbie participation is very harmful for a community. Newbie jail will never return: I consider the newbie-jail period to have been extremely damaging to the forum. When barriers to participation are too high, then the best people often just won't go to the trouble of joining, and the people who are willing to jump through the hoops are often people who aren't good for the community: people with nothing better to do, scammers, get-rick-quickers, etc. Having a permanent newbie jail policy would improve things a lot in the short-term, but would end up being a fatal poison to the community.

The low signal-to-noise is a real issue which seriously annoys me and is often on my mind. But as you mention, fixing it non-destructively is difficult.

So, the odds of this proposal being implemented are small...
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1022
Hello Leo! You can still win.
I understood that the major purposes of the merit system is to ensure quality, uphold standard and standardize ranking.
If the above hold true, I have a proposal.

I propose that;
2. However, newbies should be allowed to read in all boards for learning purposes.
3. All other members save newbies can post in the Beginners and Help.
4. Every newbie should remain in this status for a period of 90days. After the expiration of 90days, the forum moderators shall examine the performance of every newbie, then immediately award a certain number of merits(Let's say 10, 20, 50 etc) according to the performance of the newbie in this 90days orientation period. Also place the user in any rank other than newbie according to the performance aswell.

Pros:
If this is implemented, we could have the following results
1. The rate of spamming will reduce drastically
2. The rate of plagiarism will reduce aswell.
3. This will curtail stagnation or abandonment of an account
4. This will help guide users on which boards to post, most often you will see a newbie posting a Beginners and help post in meta.
5. This will reduce the amount of none quality posts
6. It will also reduce off topic posts.
7. It will encourage the newbie to research and have good knowledge of the forum and Cryptocurrencies at large in order to be awarded higher merits and promoted to a good rank after the orientation period.
8. It will ease the moderation of the forum.
9. The discusions in the rest of the  boards would be interesting, technical and quality .
10. It will ensure the introduction of users with ample knowledge of the norms of the forum into the forum.

Cons:
1. It will limit the chances of a user in a campaign to complete his/her weekly task. However, I don't know if newbies involves in campaigns or not.

Thank you!
Pages:
Jump to: