Pages:
Author

Topic: Is there ever a case where the government could legally steal? - page 4. (Read 3003 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
If I create a currency, and use it regularly in my household between residents in my household, and I agree to let you stay in my household, and let you use my currency, and i let you own stuff in my household at my discretion, and I charge you a fee based on transactions you engage in using my currency in my household, is that theft?

That's basically what governments do.

What if bitcoin charged you a fee for engaging in transactions using bitcoins? Is that theft?

Depends; was the household fee clearly stated when I first moved in, or was it created after?  And may I opt out if I decide I no longer want to use said currency or the benefits it entails?
Activity: 504
Merit: 250

murder is to theft as killing is to...?

Appropriation, possibly.

It's called "Expropriation" when government takes your property with or without offering compensation.

Like only paying you the public evaluation for demolishing your house to make way for an interstate.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
If I create a currency, and use it regularly in my household between residents in my household, and I agree to let you stay in my household, and let you use my currency, and i let you own stuff in my household at my discretion, and I charge you a fee based on transactions you engage in using my currency in my household, is that theft?

That's basically what governments do.

What if bitcoin charged you a fee for engaging in transactions using bitcoins? Is that theft?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Appropriation, possibly.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
It's like killing and murder. 

I understand this concept. Killing is the action of taking someone's life. It is only murder if the action is deemed illegal.

So what would be the equivalent word for theft?

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
I was about to say, taxation is theft Tongue

The government stole people's gold way back when, by passing a law that made it illegal to keep it...

It's like killing and murder.  Only one of those is illegal, but one could argue that it's the same thing.  Because the powers that be said it's okay for them to kill people, as long as it's not considered murder, you've legalized killing.  Just slap a "Hello, I am a terrorist" button on someone and you're good to go.  The same can be applied to anything once illegal, and theft is no different.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
Is there ever a case where the government could legally steal?

The definition of theft is the "illegal taking...". Considering the government may pass any law they want and make it a "legal taking", is there anything the government would ever do that you would consider theft?

This question is more for those who do not believe that taxation is theft.
Pages:
Jump to: