Pages:
Author

Topic: IT Administrator Mining - page 2. (Read 15459 times)

donator
Activity: 1654
Merit: 1287
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
March 16, 2012, 07:51:20 PM
Otherwise, the leap in logic is as ridiculous as suggesting you may as well molest toddlers if, after having slept with your 16 year old girlfriend at age 18, you've already crossed the line anyway.

+1
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
March 16, 2012, 06:01:47 PM
Yes, this was where the line was drawn for most people, including myself. Steal company's time < steal company's electricity <<< outright stealing physical hardware and reselling it.

Yet you equate the three tonto. What? That doesn't make sense to anyone except you.

I equate theft as theft.  Do I do it?  Yes I often do personal things on company time.  They could fire me for it.  They probably won't (although it would likely be brought up as an excuse if they ever did want to fire me ,or would add it on to the list of offenses).  But I won't beat around the bush and say I don't steal.  Because it is what it is.

It's obvious that I'm wrong here, so I'll bow out of the discussion.  I've said what I wanted to say, and we'll disagree on some things. Smiley

It's one thing to answer your cell phone when it rings, quite another to openly admit you casually misappropriate resources from your employer frequently enough that even you consider it theft.

A reasonable benchmark for how much "personal" stuff you should feel free to do on paid company time (like shitting) is no more than 30 minutes in an 8 hour day.  That's equivalent to fifteen minutes before your meal break and fifteen minutes afterward.  Anything less than that should not be considered stealing.  Anything significantly more, and you may as well be named Daniel Metcalfe.

Otherwise, the leap in logic is as ridiculous as suggesting you may as well molest toddlers if, after having slept with your 16 year old girlfriend at age 18, you've already crossed the line anyway.
Activity: 609
Merit: 500
March 16, 2012, 05:47:16 PM
Yes, this was where the line was drawn for most people, including myself. Steal company's time < steal company's electricity <<< outright stealing physical hardware and reselling it.

Yet you equate the three tonto. What? That doesn't make sense to anyone except you.

I equate theft as theft.  Do I do it?  Yes I often do personal things on company time.  They could fire me for it.  They probably won't (although it would likely be brought up as an excuse if they ever did want to fire me ,or would add it on to the list of offenses).  But I won't beat around the bush and say I don't steal.  Because it is what it is.

It's obvious that I'm wrong here, so I'll bow out of the discussion.  I've said what I wanted to say, and we'll disagree on some things. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
March 16, 2012, 05:43:03 PM
It pisses me off because it hits close to home. I've had problems with employee theft in the past, so it really grinds my gears.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
March 16, 2012, 05:40:21 PM
I don't think using the restroom qualifies as time theft.  Using the restroom is an ordinary activity that everyone does, and the need to take breaks and use the restroom is priced into the compensation paid to the employee.  Many places in the United States mandate paid breaks by law (examples: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm) and hold the employer legally liable for even so much as inducing the employee to skip them - comparison to theft of an employer's property is a complete non-sequitur.

The intent has much to do with it as well.  An employee who accidentally leaves work with his employer's property is far less culpable than one who intentionally takes it and sells it on eBay.  The element of intent elevates it far above comparison with the cost of the time it takes to take a shit.

I too would be gratified to see Mr. Metcalfe endure the consequences for his criminal choices.  He is a scammer in meatspace.  Do we love scammers?  I don't.  If his career is damaged, it will be because of his choices, and not because we are lame for ratting him out.
Activity: 886
March 16, 2012, 05:39:58 PM
I think you have me mistaken as a Gen M or something, which I'm not.  I'm upset at the attitude to destroy an individual when the people doing the destruction have also stolen things from their work places.  Perhaps not physical things, but still company resources. 

Pot. Kettle. Black.
You missed the part where he actually did steal physical things.

March 16, 2012, 05:28:00 PM
I think you have me mistaken as a Gen M or something, which I'm not.  I'm upset at the attitude to destroy an individual when the people doing the destruction have also stolen things from their work places.  Perhaps not physical things, but still company resources. 

Pot. Kettle. Black.

No I saw that, I meant the other participants in this thread.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
March 16, 2012, 05:25:57 PM

Pot. Kettle. Black.
March 16, 2012, 05:25:12 PM
There have been a number of articles recently in major newspapers regarding the Millennial Generation.  These articles describe a number of reputable studies that indicate that the majority of Gen M have little regard for anyone, but themselves.  Some rebuttal articles would describe Gen M as, "differently moral," and not careless.  The latest articles would describe these "differently moral" attributes primarily as more tolerant of other's lifestyle, e.g. LGBT, and more conscious and caring of the environment.  The later study also points out that these "different" morals have more to do with individualism rather than any conception of moral fabric or social contract.

As a wise man once said, "You can't make up your own morals."  Morality, in large part, doesn't seems to be at play with Gen M.

My point follows.  IMHO Wink

I say, that both you, Tonto, and Mr. Metcalfe's attitudes are absurd and typify this kind of corruption of morality that ppl are reporting about Gen M.

People with an honest disposition get upset about Mr. Metcalfe's actions and attitude.  While cases of jealousy at someone's ability to take advantage of their situation in a very dishonest way is a possibility I seriously doubt that represents the majority sentiment for posters on this thread.

The honest man can't believe someone would be dishonest.  The dishonest man can't believe someone would be honest.  I suppose somewhere in the middle are those that would just have the chips fall where they may.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Activity: 252
Inactive
March 16, 2012, 05:12:41 PM
Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

I mean, I think it's an interesting thing to think about (I even analyzed the company I work for a few years ago and estimated they paid $17k/month for people to use the bathroom), but I wouldn't at all equate unintentional labor hours lost with intentional misuse of company resources and/or actual theft of physical resources.

There have been a number of articles recently in major newspapers regarding the Millennial Generation.  These articles describe a number of reputable studies that indicate that the majority of Gen M have little regard for anyone, but themselves.  Some rebuttal articles would describe Gen M as, "differently moral," and not careless.  The latest articles would describe these "differently moral" attributes primarily as more tolerant of other's lifestyle, e.g. LGBT, and more conscious and caring of the environment.  The later study also points out that these "different" morals have more to do with individualism rather than any conception of moral fabric or social contract.

As a wise man once said, "You can't make up your own morals."  Morality, in large part, doesn't seems to be at play with Gen M.

My point follows.  IMHO Wink

I say, that both you, Tonto, and Mr. Metcalfe's attitudes are absurd and typify this kind of corruption of morality that ppl are reporting about Gen M.

People with an honest disposition get upset about Mr. Metcalfe's actions and attitude.  While cases of jealousy at someone's ability to take advantage of their situation in a very dishonest way is a possibility I seriously doubt that represents the majority sentiment for posters on this thread.

The honest man can't believe someone would be dishonest.  The dishonest man can't believe someone would be honest.  I suppose somewhere in the middle are those that would just have the chips fall where they may.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
March 16, 2012, 04:53:26 PM
Some kinds of "time theft" or whatever are just officially allowed by your employer, for good reasons.
Other things aren't, however, and you just shouldn't do those.

Things like using the bathroom or jotting down personal notes surely belong to the first category, if done within reason.
Using company resources for CPU mining (which isn't even profitable as a whole), or outright stealing inventory, certainly belongs to the latter category.

I get that, I do.  Just irritates me how people jump on someone that doesn't affect them at all (unless it creates negativity towards bitcoin).

I personally avoid people I don't like.  But I don't try to destroy them.
I believe in justice, and making the world a better place.  The world is a better place when scumbags like D. Metcalfe aren't allowed to continue stealing from the company he works for.

If no one reports crimes when they happen, then there would be no incentive for people to not commit crimes.  In other words, crime would be rampant.  Part of keeping a civil world civil is ensuring that the lawbreakers receive just punishment for their actions.
March 16, 2012, 04:46:01 PM
Some kinds of "time theft" or whatever are just officially allowed by your employer, for good reasons.

Things like using the bathroom or jotting down personal notes surely belong to the first category, if done within reason.
Using company resources for CPU mining (which isn't even profitable as a whole), or outright stealing inventory, certainly belongs to the latter category.

I get that, I do.  Just irritates me how people jump on someone that doesn't affect them at all (unless it creates negativity towards bitcoin).

I personally avoid people I don't like.  But I don't try to destroy them.
Activity: 504
FPGA Mining LLC
March 16, 2012, 04:43:50 PM

March 16, 2012, 04:34:32 PM
So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

I mean, I think it's an interesting thing to think about (I even analyzed the company I work for a few years ago and estimated they paid $17k/month for people to use the bathroom), but I wouldn't at all equate unintentional labor hours lost with intentional misuse of company resources and/or actual theft of physical resources.

My point was, don't be a dick when you yourselves do similar (albeit perhaps less cost) things.  And yes, I *would* equate bathroom breaks that aren't during your allotted break time as theft.  Something I hear sometimes is "it's the principle" of the thing.  Well so is doing activities during work time *THAT AREN'T WORK*. 

I think some of them are just jealous that they can't mine "for free" and so get pissed at others who do.  Why is it sweat off your sack if that kid did it?  He eventually probably would have got caught, but other than bilking his boss, what did it do to the collective members of this forum?

And yes, I do take bathroom breaks outside my breaks.  I do make personal phone calls, etc, etc.  But yes, they are all equal, IMO.  It's time/money that your employer is paying you for that you're not doing.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
March 16, 2012, 03:55:56 PM
Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
So, you're equating bathroom breaks with $500/month of electricity and stolen computer systems being sold on eBay?  Really?  REALLY?

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502
March 16, 2012, 03:35:45 PM
But sometimes I just need the distraction.
I'm a computer programmer, and when I'm thinking to long for something and it's just not working I don't get anything furter.
The I read one or two news articles or some new posts on this forum, then go back to work and suddenly just see the problem I was having.
Perhaps it's not that way for everybody, but for me it is better that way.

Ofcourse hours and hours checking facebook and funny cat sites is bad Tongue
March 16, 2012, 03:31:15 PM
Well, bathroom is obvious, I just can't hold it 8 hours.
The rest, if the boss don't allow this small things the morale would get lower and actually less work will be done.
The use of cpu's for mining for bitcoin doesn't do a thing with morale and just steal electricity.

/edit, not sure if morale is the correct word for this (primary language is not english)
Maybe working atmosphere is a better one.

You don't have to hold it 8 hours.  Just max of 2 hours (or maybe 4 depending on your labor rules of your country) until your permitted break.  I've worked production lines before, you hold it, but never had I had to hold it for 8 hours in any job.   And no, if you're not worried about those other activities, you will get a lot of work done during your work day.  You'd be surprised what you can get done if you're not being distracted.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 502
March 16, 2012, 03:06:59 PM
Ok I think this has gone overboard.  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has "stolen" company resources.  Ever gone to the bathroom outside your allotted break?  That's theft of time.  Used a company phone to make a personal phone call?  Theft of time.  Talk to your coworkers about the NCAA tournament? Read Facebook at work when it's not your job to do so?  Used a sticky note to jot down something that you forgot about to do at home?

etc, etc.

My 7970 (at home) costs me $0.64 cents per day to mine.   The shit I just took at work 10 minutes ago?  $2.08 of company time.

Listen, I get that you don't want bitcoin to get a bad name, and these actions would darken bitcoin's image.  But seriously, I would have just ignored the kid, not get him fired.  That's wrong, IMO.
Well, bathroom is obvious, I just can't hold it 8 hours.
The rest, if the boss don't allow this small things the morale would get lower and actually less work will be done.
The use of cpu's for mining for bitcoin doesn't do a thing with morale and just steal electricity.

/edit, not sure if morale is the correct word for this (primary language is not english)
Maybe working atmosphere is a better one.
Activity: 291
BTCRadio Owner
March 16, 2012, 02:58:15 PM
Well will you look at that, seems OP removed all his messages from the thread. Busted much?
Activity: 812
Merit: 510
March 16, 2012, 02:52:46 PM
It's more the theft and ebaying of company property that I believe most people had an issue with.
Pages:
Jump to: