Author

Topic: Ixcoin TODO - page 199. (Read 631736 times)

Activity: 185
Merit: 10
March 10, 2014, 02:27:11 PM
Are people interested in the Counterparty implementation?

I haven't heard any feedback on this proposal other than the cost to do it.

C'mon folks!!   Counterparty is at 10m USD,  we can add the same functionality to IXC!

Counterparty and Colored Coins (NUDC) both sound like great ideas for iXcoin to realize its full potential as the "Inter eXchange Coin".  They will produce a niche for iXcoin which very few other coins can compete with.  Once we get everyone upgraded to version 0.8.6.0 we should discuss the pros and cons more so everyone understands what we can do with them, and any potential problems they may bring.  If everyone agrees we can add them to a future update.

Activity: 53
Merit: 0
March 10, 2014, 04:02:50 AM

Guys, good news:  iXcoin.eu is up and running.

Looks great and it feels so legit to have such a beautiful site up and running.

Thank you, LUKE!!!

Yes it is. Thanks

Now we just need to get all the third party websites out there with iXcoin references to update their link from .org to .eu

Regards, Luke.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1534
www.ixcoin.net
March 08, 2014, 09:20:25 PM

Guys, good news:  iXcoin.eu is up and running.

Looks great and it feels so legit to have such a beautiful site up and running.

Thank you, LUKE!!!
Activity: 203
Merit: 100
March 08, 2014, 05:48:16 PM
Donated 500 ixcoins that vlad gave me 3-4 months ago. He was on a giveaway on the romanian forum.

Ce faci, frate?

I hope you bought yourself some iX if you're giving that away.

Thanks for your help!
i did. 22000 ixc Smiley
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
March 08, 2014, 05:10:44 PM
Donated 500 ixcoins that vlad gave me 3-4 months ago. He was on a giveaway on the romanian forum.

Ce faci, frate?

I hope you bought yourself some iX if you're giving that away.

Thanks for your help!
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
March 08, 2014, 05:01:11 PM
(2) ...But no need to burn since IXC is the native currency!   Only issue is that it requires the new 0.8.6 client (due to the OP_RETURN opcode ).
Clever! Would the client be implemeted directly to the IXCoin client? If all that it requires is the OP_RETURN, then IMO this should be the
first extra feature added to IXC.

I am really trying my best to move things forward here,  but as you can see with the discussion,  there's so many other moving parts!
Yes, I see. In order to keep the ball rolling and your focus on this project, I'll donate 5000 IXC to you (PM me your IXC address).

Thanks!  The CounterParty code base inclusion would be pretty cool.
Activity: 79
March 08, 2014, 01:37:24 PM
(2) ...But no need to burn since IXC is the native currency!   Only issue is that it requires the new 0.8.6 client (due to the OP_RETURN opcode ).
Clever! Would the client be implemeted directly to the IXCoin client? If all that it requires is the OP_RETURN, then IMO this should be the
first extra feature added to IXC.

I am really trying my best to move things forward here,  but as you can see with the discussion,  there's so many other moving parts!
Yes, I see. In order to keep the ball rolling and your focus on this project, I'll donate 5000 IXC to you (PM me your IXC address).
legendary
March 08, 2014, 12:43:24 PM
Of course that would be interesting. Why I see IXC promising, is that it has the superb security (through merged mining), but (unlike BTC) still has the flexibility to add easily things developed last 2-3 years.

That said, how are you planning to implement it?

IMO, there are essentially two ways:
1. native to IXC. IXC is the native currency, and all features of Counterparty protocol (apart from "burn" of course)
https://github.com/PhantomPhreak/Counterparty
will be implemented directly to IXC protocol.
2. copy Counterparty directly (i.e., create IXC version of Counterparty).

Possibility 1. (my personal favorite) is very likely technically demanding as it has not been really tried anywhere, and requires a lot of testing AFAI can see. Possibility 2. on the other hand, requires either that we'll have "IXC burn period" some time in the future (or someone comes up with a way of transfering actual XCPs from the bitcoin blockchain to ixcoin blockchain). If I recall reading correctly, there were arguments why there were a specific burn period in Counterparty instead of that you could burn bitcoins forever.

So this port will have all the counterparty features like Betting running on IXC.   

legendary
March 08, 2014, 12:39:31 PM
I didn't even know there was a hard fork planned.

-MarkM-

I believe the bip's will cause a hard fork.  They change the rules for adding blocks in certain situations.  We shouldn't take it lightly.  It would be very bad if iXcoin splits in two.

The block number at which they come into effect would be many months into the furure though wouldn't it?

I do agreee though that it is crazy to muddy up the merged mining test with such extraneous stuff.

We need merged mining. BIPs are way the heck less important, not worth aborting the moving to new codebase for.

Basically we should port what IXCoin already was to the new codebase first and make sure that works, before adding new BIPs or coloured coins or anything else that IXCoin doesn't already have/do. Well the memory fix stuff from I0Coin of course, since if it wasn't for the need of all merged mined coins to get that fix we wouldn't be in any hurry to update to new code at all. We don't want to break stuff we just want to fix the RAM problem the merged mined coins all had in common.

-MarkM-

Agree with you that the BIPS or colored coins will have to wait.  That is why I had originally thought of doing this  with the next release of Bitcoin.  But it appears that there is so much legacy here that we are forced to be conservative.
March 08, 2014, 12:29:32 PM
Of course that would be interesting. Why I see IXC promising, is that it has the superb security (through merged mining), but (unlike BTC) still has the flexibility to add easily things developed last 2-3 years.

That said, how are you planning to implement it?

IMO, there are essentially two ways:
1. native to IXC. IXC is the native currency, and all features of Counterparty protocol (apart from "burn" of course)
https://github.com/PhantomPhreak/Counterparty
will be implemented directly to IXC protocol.
2. copy Counterparty directly (i.e., create IXC version of Counterparty).

Possibility 1. (my personal favorite) is very likely technically demanding as it has not been really tried anywhere, and requires a lot of testing AFAI can see. Possibility 2. on the other hand, requires either that we'll have "IXC burn period" some time in the future (or someone comes up with a way of transfering actual XCPs from the bitcoin blockchain to ixcoin blockchain). If I recall reading correctly, there were arguments why there were a specific burn period in Counterparty instead of that you could burn bitcoins forever.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
March 08, 2014, 11:18:46 AM
I didn't even know there was a hard fork planned.

-MarkM-

I believe the bip's will cause a hard fork.  They change the rules for adding blocks in certain situations.  We shouldn't take it lightly.  It would be very bad if iXcoin splits in two.

The block number at which they come into effect would be many months into the furure though wouldn't it?

I do agreee though that it is crazy to muddy up the merged mining test with such extraneous stuff.

We need merged mining. BIPs are way the heck less important, not worth aborting the moving to new codebase for.

Basically we should port what IXCoin already was to the new codebase first and make sure that works, before adding new BIPs or coloured coins or anything else that IXCoin doesn't already have/do. Well the memory fix stuff from I0Coin of course, since if it wasn't for the need of all merged mined coins to get that fix we wouldn't be in any hurry to update to new code at all. We don't want to break stuff we just want to fix the RAM problem the merged mined coins all had in common.

-MarkM-
Activity: 203
Merit: 100
March 08, 2014, 10:00:09 AM
legendary
March 08, 2014, 09:45:28 AM

I haven't heard any feedback on this proposal other than the cost to do it.

C'mon folks!!   Counterparty is at 10m USD,  we can add the same functionality to IXC!

Activity: 53
Merit: 0
March 08, 2014, 07:51:49 AM
Is this address
IXC: xm7RZfDQyiYqFQZ6Q9ZgtSkX9e8uBJ3SLY
the correct way to donate to the project?

Yes.  It should be the same as the one on www.ixcoin.co
Ok, I sent there 5000 IXC. I encourage others, who think this project might have potential, to do the same.

That is very generous. On behalf of the iXcoin Community, Thank you.

Regards, Luke.
March 08, 2014, 07:19:47 AM
Is this address

Ok, I sent there 5000 IXC. I encourage others, who think this project might have potential, to do the same.
legendary
March 08, 2014, 06:57:51 AM

I think the majority should go to Friction, at least 20-25K IXC.  He came up with the client update, a new website and a forum, and has been promoting iXcoin for quite some time now.  He even did an iXcoin give away.  Friction pretty much met all the requirements you laid out.  Although I don't really consider the client complete until the merged mining is fully tested and the mining community has fully migrated to the new client.  Let's try to get that done soon before discussing too many future upgrades.

Thanks for backing me up on this.

People also need to realize that I dole out bounties for all sort of other stuff too,  new logo, mac os x build, windows build,  i0coin contributions, testing, running nodes, promotions, etc.   There's a lot of work and expenses to maintain a coin! 
legendary
March 08, 2014, 06:54:28 AM
The new iXcoin client is based on i0coin.  Look at rsnel's comments on the bip16 and bip30 and forking (splits).

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2858982

All of this requires coordination with the two main pool operators.   

legendary
March 08, 2014, 06:46:46 AM
Is this address

March 08, 2014, 05:21:44 AM
Is this address
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
March 08, 2014, 03:57:34 AM

Luke,

Thanks for your response.  iXcoin.eu is great, if we get the .org site back then we can always add it later.

I'm guilty of trying to get answers from guys like Thomas.  I guess it's part curiosity and part frustration, not understanding what's going on with him at times.

But I agree with your post, this type of pressure is not productive nor conducive to our goals and it only stands to separate us further as a group and community.

I'll withdraw my unnecessary questions from this thread right away.

Thanks again.

Edit:  I cleaned up my unproductive posts.  Apologies, Thomas.
Jump to: