Author

Topic: Ixcoin TODO - page 301. (Read 631736 times)

legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1534
www.ixcoin.net
September 11, 2013, 05:23:48 PM
Wow, thanks for the tech info. I didn't know any of that.  So then, is i0Coin alive now?  Is there a dev in charge?  How many total coins will there be?  I don't really know anything about i0Coin to be honest.  If there's a main thread and if it's live then I'd see if I can find more info.   Thanks again.

I have 15K of these too  Grin

A couple of months ago I was completely convisnded ixcoin and i0coin are dead, but look what happens now  Shocked

Do you remember how you paid for the i0Coins?  Was it the same as the ixCoins?  I'm trying to figure out how much I should pay for i0Coins.  Thanks.

With BTC on doublec exchange I believe.

Sorry.  I meant, how MUCH, did you pay for i0Coin.  Thanks.
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
September 11, 2013, 04:52:40 PM
Wow, thanks for the tech info. I didn't know any of that.  So then, is i0Coin alive now?  Is there a dev in charge?  How many total coins will there be?  I don't really know anything about i0Coin to be honest.  If there's a main thread and if it's live then I'd see if I can find more info.   Thanks again.

A couple of months ago I was completely convisnded ixcoin and i0coin are dead, but look what happens now  Shocked

Do you remember how you paid for the i0Coins?  Was it the same as the ixCoins?  I'm trying to figure out how much I should pay for i0Coins.  Thanks.

With BTC on doublec exchange I believe.
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
September 11, 2013, 04:50:51 PM
@markm:

I compiled GeistGeld from https://github.com/Lolcust/GeistGeld (with the included geist.conf) and your node (dvcstable02) doesn't want to talk to me:
Code:
trying connection dvcstable02:7769 lastseen=-0.9hrs lasttry=-383025.6hrs
connected dvcstable02:7769
sending: version (85 bytes)
socket recv error 104
disconnecting node dvcstable02:7769

Any idea why this happens?

Could it just be my geistgeldd dying? It gets restarted but takes hours to re-scan before it is usable.

It runs until it runs out of RAM then gets killed by the kernel to make room for other things.

-MarkM-

I have opened port 7769 in my firewall, in the hope that someone will connect to me.

Edit: success: I got a working connection  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
September 11, 2013, 04:19:10 PM
@markm:

I compiled GeistGeld from https://github.com/Lolcust/GeistGeld (with the included geist.conf) and your node (dvcstable02) doesn't want to talk to me:
Code:
socket recv error 104

Could it just be my geistgeldd dying? It gets restarted but takes hours to re-scan before it is usable.

It runs until it runs out of RAM then gets killed by the kernel to make room for other things.

-MarkM-

September 11, 2013, 05:43:36 AM
@markm:

Code:
socket recv error 104

legendary
www.ixcoin.net
September 11, 2013, 03:36:11 AM
rsnel, GeistGeld is getting to need over 16 gigs of RAM or thereabouts, would you be able to upgrade it with I0Coin's nice new stuff so that all of a suddent it too will fit in little RAM and thus be accessible to many more people? There would be a lot of XGG in it for you if you can because the more RAM it takes the less people left who have enough RAM to run it, its difficulty is thus pretty darn low. So you can pick up oodles of them easy and likely improve their value a lot by doing such an update.

Where is the current recommended GeistGeld client? Is it https://github.com/Lolcust/GeistGeld ?

I can at least do the 'dirty fix', see how much memory it saves and run it myself (I do not have enough memory to run the 16G client...). The only thing it breaks is the 'getheaders' command, which is not used by Satoshi clients. Maybe it is easier to port i0coin-0.8.3-1 (the updated version without the hardforking changes) to geist. Will see.

I concurr with your assessment.  Run with it.
September 11, 2013, 02:44:41 AM
rsnel, GeistGeld is getting to need over 16 gigs of RAM or thereabouts, would you be able to upgrade it with I0Coin's nice new stuff so that all of a suddent it too will fit in little RAM and thus be accessible to many more people? There would be a lot of XGG in it for you if you can because the more RAM it takes the less people left who have enough RAM to run it, its difficulty is thus pretty darn low. So you can pick up oodles of them easy and likely improve their value a lot by doing such an update.

Where is the current recommended GeistGeld client? Is it https://github.com/Lolcust/GeistGeld ?

I can at least do the 'dirty fix', see how much memory it saves and run it myself (I do not have enough memory to run the 16G client...). The only thing it breaks is the 'getheaders' command, which is not used by Satoshi clients. Maybe it is easier to port i0coin-0.8.3-1 (the updated version without the hardforking changes) to geist. Will see.
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
September 11, 2013, 02:18:50 AM
Who's been buying ixCoin?  Price is up 30% in 4 days.

I told some people on Cryptsy about it and one guy said he was gonna buy 300,000-500,000 coins but I told him to buy slowly.  This can't be one guy.  I wanted to add another 50,000 coins but now I have to wait.  Man, I hope the price goes back down.
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
September 10, 2013, 11:13:27 PM

legendary
www.ixcoin.net
September 10, 2013, 10:28:21 PM

So really then, there's no real way for a coin to completely die, in absolute terms?

This is news to me.  So as long as people held to their i0Coin coins then even though i0Coin died 3 times they would now still have their coins.
legendary
September 10, 2013, 09:37:13 PM

A trouble with Ixcoin is it has been merged mined all along so has pretty much always been too high difficulty for small miners. I0Coin went purportedly-dead a nice long time allowing small miners a long time to mine it, GeistGeld has always been low difficulty so has always been a haven for small miners. If you can update it, maybe large miners will still claim it is dead and not bother with it, so maybe we can get it back to small enough RAM for small miners to be able to fit it in their RAM again, and give them thus maybe quite a while longer to mine it again.

-MarkM-
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
September 10, 2013, 06:39:56 PM

Activity: 260
Merit: 250
September 10, 2013, 04:51:56 PM
GeistGeld
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
September 10, 2013, 04:43:32 PM

Hi Vlad2Vlad,

I'm the new I0coin maintainer. More info can be found at:

Greetings,

Rik.

Thanks for the info.

I'd still like to know what gg is.
September 10, 2013, 04:20:13 PM

Hi Vlad2Vlad,

I'm the new I0coin maintainer. More info can be found at:

Greetings,

Rik.
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
September 09, 2013, 10:03:47 PM
I would be very interested in helping gg back on its feet

gg?  Who or what is that? 
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
September 09, 2013, 09:42:32 PM
I would be very interested in helping gg back on its feet
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
September 09, 2013, 09:23:24 PM
legendary
September 09, 2013, 08:50:50 PM
Merged mined coins use more RAM. The more blocks they churn out, the faster this makes their RAM needs grow compared to chains that have slower time between blocks.

The fastes block time merged mined coins thus grew to huge RAM needs faster than the chains that have more time between blocks and thus less total blocks to deal with at a given time in history.

The fastest chain was GeistGeld, so it hardly even got adopted in the first place as it was so fast that its huge RAM needs very rapidly become obvious.

Next-fastest apparently is I0Coin, so although e.g. bitparking merged mining pool did initially adopt it, eventually the amount of RAM it needed was large enough doublec apparently no longer thought it worth merging. Also, only recently did it come out that the excessive RAM used is legitimate, not some kind of "memory leak" bug. So for a long long time the urban myth about GeistGeld and I0Coin has been that they have memory leaks. A while back someone really tried hard to find and fix memory leaks in I0Coin but still it kept needing lots of RAM. Much more recently someone figured out it is simply that merged mining leads to needing more RAM, thus went ahead and added code to deal with that. Even more recently, they made the offending data, that merged mined coins keep in RAM, instead get stored to disk. So that now I0Coin is probably one of the best merged mined coins of all in terms of how little RAM it needs since all the others still keep all that "proof of merged mining" data in RAM.

So ultimately all the merged mined coins will reach some level of RAM use that people find excessive, the ones with faster blocks doing so sooner than the ones with slower blocks, so that each in turn reaches large enough RAM use that nodes will either drop them for using too much RAM or upgrade them like I0Coin to store on disk instead of in RAM that data the merged coins use to prove they were indeed merge-mined.

Evidently so far people don't seem to mind how much RAM namecoin, devcoin, ixcoin etc each use, so far only I0Coin and GeistGeld got big enough for people to drop them. But they are all growing in RAM-need faster than non-merged coins so it is just a matter of time unless maybe amount of RAM in off the shelf PCs starts growing fast enough to keep up.

(I could not even run GeistGeld on an 8 gigs of RAM machine, for example, to do so I need to get it upgraded like I0Coin was upgraded. Meanwhile I run it on a 16 gigs of RAM or more machine. I0Coin would run on 8 gigs though, as it only needed 4 or 5 gigs or so before it was upgraded. It uses about half a gig now I think.)

-MarkM-
legendary
www.ixcoin.net
September 09, 2013, 08:11:44 PM
@MarkM,

Lol' man, that is a massive amount of information.  I don't understand 70% of it but it kind of get it.  I don't play any online games but I see what you're saying regarding finding the prices or values of certain currencies and then finding them for sale.

But what's your take on i0Coin?  Why did that coin die 3 times when essentially it's a better coin than ixCoin and ixCoin has never died when it was abandoned and it should have died.  I find that a bit odd but since I don't fully understand Cryptos I can't grasp the rationale.  To me it says ixCoin is resilient but maybe it's just sheer luck - either way it's a good quality and something I look for in a coin I plan to hold for a while.

Thanks for all the info, MarkM and good luck!
Jump to: