Pages:
Author

Topic: Kim Dotcom looking for suggestions on payments - page 5. (Read 10012 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
With popularity among consumers, comes interest from new developers, perhaps even with a fresh pair of eyes, to help build our infrastructure and take their own piece of the Bitcoin pie.

This.

Also those worried about Bitcoin growing too fast ... don't.  Growth which is "too fast" can't happen in a free market.  It can only happen where artificial subsidies (i.e govt, Federal Reserve, natural monopolies) prevent the free market from functioning properly to curb growth.

If bitcoin popularity outpaces the technical development (solutions for blockchain size, processing cost, wallet ease of use) then that technical deficiency will act as a constraint to slow further growth.  It also creates a huge financial incentive to build better solutions. 
Activity: 991
Merit: 1008
uploaded.to already takes bitcoins... if all file sharing sites did, it would be awesome

see sig.
maybe not all, but indirectly through premiumize.me you get something between 10-20 including all the most popular ones. i got a 180-day subcription there bought for 20€ in bitcoins (5btc at the time) and even though i dont download that much its really terribly convenient to have access to pretty much everything you might come across without even having to login. filehoster access with btc is pretty much a solved problem imho.

anyways, having him on board would still be good news, even if its just for the publicity at first.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
As much as I would want this, I don't think Bitcoin is ready yet. Look at how much faster the blockchain is growing with a popular service such as SatoshiDice, which only caters towards Bitcoin users. Now imagine a giant such as MegaUpload, which caters to a much much wider audience, starts using Bitcoin. The blockchain growth would be out of control. Coming up with and implementing features to keep the blockchain growth in check should be top priority right now in my opinion.

Sure  Roll Eyes
Folks where up and downloading gigabytes per DAY using MegaUpload - I am pretty sure they can handle something as laughable tiny as the blockchain.
Nice try, tho

I don't think he was referring to megaupload themselves handling the blockchain, but everyone else who needs the blockchain dealing with it.  It seems that the rapidly increasing blockchain size is something of a major hurdle atm.

I was talking about the actual users. Who do you think was downloading all those HD movies of several GBs on MegaUpload?
The blockchain is smaller than one of those HD movies - dont even look at those 20GB+ BR rips.
And there are tons of web sites out there, where people watch movies in realtime, streaming it. And you really thing someone cares about a few GB?
So yes the blockchain probably is too large for the 90s - welcome to more than a decade later Wink

There has been a lot of discussion on the topic that I think you need to catch up on.  Do a couple searches on the forum.  
Activity: 812
Merit: 1006
He really could throw bitcoin into the mainstream if he launches bitcoin support for his new music service.
Do we already want this though?

I will leave bitcoin instantly if it becomes mainstream, I'm too hipster for that.

But can't really comment much on that, I'm having severe existential crisis because hating mainstream is nowadays too mainstream, and I can't deal with myself any more having problems like this.
aq
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
As much as I would want this, I don't think Bitcoin is ready yet. Look at how much faster the blockchain is growing with a popular service such as SatoshiDice, which only caters towards Bitcoin users. Now imagine a giant such as MegaUpload, which caters to a much much wider audience, starts using Bitcoin. The blockchain growth would be out of control. Coming up with and implementing features to keep the blockchain growth in check should be top priority right now in my opinion.

Sure  Roll Eyes
Folks where up and downloading gigabytes per DAY using MegaUpload - I am pretty sure they can handle something as laughable tiny as the blockchain.
Nice try, tho

I don't think he was referring to megaupload themselves handling the blockchain, but everyone else who needs the blockchain dealing with it.  It seems that the rapidly increasing blockchain size is something of a major hurdle atm.

I was talking about the actual users. Who do you think was downloading all those HD movies of several GBs on MegaUpload?
The blockchain is smaller than one of those HD movies - dont even look at those 20GB+ BR rips.
And there are tons of web sites out there, where people watch movies in realtime, streaming it. And you really thing someone cares about a few GB?
So yes the blockchain probably is too large for the 90s - welcome to more than a decade later Wink
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

With popularity among consumers, comes interest from new developers, perhaps even with a fresh pair of eyes, to help build our infrastructure and take their own piece of the Bitcoin pie.
Activity: 111
I added a tweet:

https://twitter.com/FerrohDotCom/status/223042058900877314

As for other's concerns of the blockchain -- I think we should keep that out of this thread, this issue has been addressed many times. In the short term -- just dont download the blockchain. In the long term, a better solution will be implemented. For now, we can afford a few extra gigabytes on the chain, especially since the influx of bitcoin users would create plenty of incentive to implement a shorter blockchain solution faster.

Sure  Roll Eyes
Nice try, tho

donator
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Rick Falkvinge's tweet suggesting Bitcoin was retweeted to Dotcom's ~90,000 followers:

aq
Activity: 238

Sure  Roll Eyes
Nice try, tho
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
Time to scratch together more for buying BTC!!!
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
uploaded.to already takes bitcoins... if all file sharing sites did, it would be awesome
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata

As I always say, nothing gets features implemented like the imminent catastrophe!
Activity: 602
Merit: 508
Firstbits: 1waspoza

+1
Activity: 686
Bitbuy
He really could throw bitcoin into the mainstream if he launches bitcoin support for his new music service.

I can't speak for everybody, but yeah I would want this. I want to be able to have my whole product chain using bitcoins, at this moment I still need to exchange to USD to pay for certain parts of it. Mainstream means more merchants, which is a good thing.

Activity: 743
has had a strong response on Twitter
Activity: 686
Wat
Do want.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
If he accepts Bitcoin it would be a very good news
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
He really could throw bitcoin into the mainstream if he launches bitcoin support for his new music service.

I can't speak for everybody, but yeah I would want this. I want to be able to have my whole product chain using bitcoins, at this moment I still need to exchange to USD to pay for certain parts of it. Mainstream means more merchants, which is a good thing.
Pages:
Jump to: