Pages:
Author

Topic: KNC just posted pics of their case, PCB samples coming next week \o/ - page 5. (Read 8253 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
those cases will not survive shipment.

wtf is this lol.

it is ugly, not durable, looking cheap and disgusting.

terrible design.

it is such a shame...

LOL,

go buy a BFL product. Decent Design but you'll never see it.

I don't thing any sane person cares what the case looks like as long as the device hashes. I'd prefer mine to look like a trashcan, no one would ever steal it!

Yet this is an example of one of the rarest and endangered butterflies on earth;

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/5015fc3486176144c53751877/images/P1010328c39ef4.JPG
Actually they aren't that rare any more at all ...
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
Wait wait wait wait wait... that's they're Jupiter cooling? ROFLMAO. Those heatsinks are rated for peak of ~140W, not 250. And they think they can exhaust 1kw of heat with 2 standard 120mm fans?

My 1x250mm 1x200mm, 5x140mm and 2x120mm case was struggling with 800-900W. I told you those thermal simulations were really, really wrong.

Sorry to disappoint you guys, KNC lives in the clouds.

Don't you get tired of pretending to be smarter than just about everyone else? I can see it now, the big failure... clearly, KNC should've entrusted you with the design, as the OrSOC engineers obviously know nothing about chip design/thermals Roll Eyes.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
It looks like they have not changed the airflow profile in the case design any.  I wonder what the deltaT is going to be from the front 'cooler' chips to the rear 'hotter' ones. A linear airflow would have been more ideal. Oh well caseless it is.
Activity: 560
Merit: 517
The FUD in this thread is astounding.

KNC, thanks for the update; it's nice to see things coming along.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here as I'm sure they just moved it to get it out of the way, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Bitcoinorama, since you are the uploader of this video, just curious--were you there at the open day?
Of course he was.  And if that doesn't give you room for another conspiracy theory you aren't trying to start, I don't what could.

Thanks, I'll get right on coming up with something.

Maybe a little off topic, but here is a video from their YouTube channel demonstrating on of the robotic arms they had dotted around their office. Sounds like Marcus on the voiceover. It uses their openrisc processor;

http://youtu.be/Lv1Gow7WZxM
Activity: 210
I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here as I'm sure they just moved it to get it out of the way, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Bitcoinorama, since you are the uploader of this video, just curious--were you there at the open day?
Of course he was.  And if that doesn't give you room for another conspiracy theory you aren't trying to start, I don't what could.

Thanks, I'll get right on coming up with something.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Exactly.  The "prettiness" of the case has to be about the stupidest complaint for any industrial device.  Personally I would be happy if any ASIC manufacturer just delivered boards.  A board in a ghetto rack hashing today is worth a LOT more than a board is some pretty backordered case which will ship in "two weeks".
Case design is about longevity. As a broker I'd prefer for my clients hardware to survive being shipped round the globe. Some of my Avalons have taken more flights in 6 months than I have in my entire life.

wtf is this lol.

terrible design.

it is such a shame...

LOL,

go buy a BFL product. Decent Design but you'll never see it.

I don't thing any sane person cares what the case looks like as long as the device hashes. I'd prefer mine to look like a trashcan, no one would ever steal it!

Yet this is an example of one of the rarest and endangered butterflies on earth;

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Wait wait wait wait wait... that's they're Jupiter cooling? ROFLMAO. Those heatsinks are rated for peak of ~140W, not 250. And they think they can exhaust 1kw of heat with 2 standard 120mm fans?

My 1x250mm 1x200mm, 5x140mm and 2x120mm case was struggling with 800-900W. I told you those thermal simulations were really, really wrong.

Sorry to disappoint you guys, KNC lives in the clouds.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Exactly.  The "prettiness" of the case has to be about the stupidest complaint for any industrial device.  Personally I would be happy if any ASIC manufacturer just delivered boards.  A board in a ghetto rack hashing today is worth a LOT more than a board is some pretty backordered case which will ship in "two weeks".
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
https://www.kncminer.com/userfiles/image/case3small.png

wtf is this lol.

terrible design.

it is such a shame...

These are also terrible cases and yet 600GH/s  Cheesy

Activity: 238

Of course he was.  And if that doesn't give you room for another conspiracy theory you aren't trying to start, I don't what could.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I'd prefer mine to look like a trashcan, no one would ever steal it!

Grin Cheesy Grin
Its been said before but it probably needs saying again,

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev

+1

Well ORSoC's own made Linux based equiv. of the R Pi.

I seriously doubt they are going to "make their own RPi."

They might buy RPi's and slap their logo on them, but I don't think they are making even a "custom" RPi for this--if so, where is the information in regards to them stating this?

Watch the video where Marcus explains die size at the Open Day.  I believe he's holding one in his hand there...

http://youtu.be/by-je8XRCdY

I'll have to wait to watch it for audio as I'm in a meeting right now, but I did notice in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgNPIY9L8s4

In the very first few seconds, to the left of the FPGA, is what looks to be one of the HSF's they just posted in their news article. It is promptly removed from the table shortly after the video starts [about 35 seconds in]. I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here as I'm sure they just moved it to get it out of the way, but it is interesting nonetheless.

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev

+1

They might buy RPi's and slap their logo on them, but I don't think they are making even a "custom" RPi for this--if so, where is the information in regards to them stating this?

Watch the video where Marcus explains die size at the Open Day.  I believe he's holding one in his hand there...

http://youtu.be/by-je8XRCdY

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev

+1

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev

+1

Activity: 228
This is not good for my Chi... Yifu

5V is for the RasPi
12V is for the mainboard

cheers,
kev
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
I'd fight Gandhi.
"But it's just a box of fans!"

Pull out your quarters and get ready for a deja vu guys. Micon will be here any second...
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Quote from: KnC
The small slot at the front is to accommodate one 5V and multiple 12V power connections from the external PSU as well as the RJ45 for Ethernet and a USB

They changed it, apparently (didn't see the initial news).

Thanks.  I wonder what the 5VDC input is for?  I would imagine the bulk of the load is going to be on the 12VDC rails (which make sense) so it is now just more of a curiosity.
Pages:
Jump to: