Pages:
Author

Topic: KNC just posted pics of their case, PCB samples coming next week \o/ - page 7. (Read 8253 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Why 5V external power?  Most ATX PSU are designed to deliver most of their power on the 12V rail(s).
That was the first thing that I thought when I saw those pictures. Sure 5V to ~1V will be a little more efficient, but that's just unloading the problem onto the end user who as to come up with a source of 30A of 5V.
It must be a mistake.

Yeah ultimately it is 120VAC/240VAC in and ~1VDC out. The individual steps (or number of steps) doesn't really matter.  What matters is the overall efficiency from the wall to the chip.  ATX PSU are very efficient at what they do.  It is unlikely any design (from wall to chip) will be more efficient than using a 12V rail on ATX PSU.  I had even looked into dedicated 12V PSU (i.e ones used for industrial equipment not PCs) and while they are sometimes cheaper they aren't as efficient (efficiency tends to be high 80%).

Making the user try to find a PSU capable of up to 200 amps on 5V (Jupiter pulls 1000W) is going to immediately kill of the most accessible, best priced, and high efficiency options ... ATX (computer) PSU.

Like you said, lets hope it is a typo (it really uses 12V not 5V at board level) and not a horribly stupid design choice.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Why 5V external power?  Most ATX PSU are designed to deliver most of their power on the 12V rail(s).
That was the first thing that I thought when I saw those pictures. Sure 5V to ~1V will be a little more efficient, but that's just unloading the problem onto the end user who as to come up with a source of 30A of 5V.
It must be a mistake.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
5V HAHAHAHAHA enjoy that.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Why 5V external power?  Most ATX PSU are designed to deliver most of their power on the 12V rail(s).

It has to be a typo, these beauties need hundreds of watts (I did suggest elsewhere that 48V would be a sensible PSU voltage, but those are hard to come by outside of server rack systems).
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
I'm not invested in knc but the pic gave me a chuckle..."box and a bunch of fans"
I'm not implying anything else Wink
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Activity: 491
Merit: 514
https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-28

KNC is looking good so far IMO. Can't wait to see the PCB samples next week...
Pages:
Jump to: