Pages:
Author

Topic: KNC just posted pics of their case, PCB samples coming next week \o/ - page 6. (Read 8253 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Quote from: KnC
The small slot at the front is to accommodate one 5V and multiple 12V power connections from the external PSU as well as the RJ45 for Ethernet and a USB

They changed it, apparently (didn't see the initial news).

damn it was more fun messing with people before..

to anyone new to KNC, you will find that English and running a webpage are not their strong suits.   I learned a while back to not overreact to anything they first put up on their site.

hopefully everyone will chill out, but no doubt when they post the PCBs more errors will happen, and more screaming will come!!

Activity: 336
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
Quote from: KnC
The small slot at the front is to accommodate one 5V and multiple 12V power connections from the external PSU as well as the RJ45 for Ethernet and a USB

They changed it, apparently (didn't see the initial news).

Whatever.  5v to supply 1000W is poor choice.  Even with PCI-e 8 pin is rated for what? 150W?  They would need 8 of these to under run their system.

End of story.  Not sure why you even try to defend this.

do you mean end of your FUD?

Kepco makes them in 150 or 300 watt for 5v..   sure the amps are silly and we'd all be calling an electrician

http://www.kepcopower.com/hsf.htm

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Anyone send an email for clarification instead of speculating on the speculation?

I'd do it myself but I'd prefer someone that is more knowledgeable about electrical engineering to write it up.

Not sure the best email but it is a relatively simple question.  Just send this (or link to the thread):

The news released today (https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-28) provides some details on the case.  Included in the update was the statement, "The small slot at the front is to accommodate the multiple 5V power connections from the external PSU".  The use of 5VDC is unusual given the power requirements of the units.  A PSU capable of high amperage at 5V is almost certainly going to be more expensive and/or less efficient than an ATX PSU capable of the same wattage at 12VDC.

Can you confirm the input voltage is indeed 5VDC?  If this is a typo can you provide a fix at the link above?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
Note that those (like most industrial PSUs), have screw terminal connections. Not consumer friendly.

100A at 5V is just 500W. And its input is 12V so we still have the multiple stepdown problem with efficiency.

KnCminer terms and conditions specify that they are selling a product for business, not end users. So that could justify why there is necessary a PSU not so "consumer friendly".

I will Google more to see if I can discover a 5V 100A PSU without connectors.

that would not be a sufficient excuse.  all other asic manufacturers have gone with 12V.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
Why 5V external power?  Most ATX PSU are designed to deliver most of their power on the 12V rail(s).

+1

Someone did not think this through.  It should have multiple banks of PCI-e 8 pin connectors, run in parallel.

And these people will deliver 28nm ASIC?
Hard to believe.

The small slot at the front is to accommodate the multiple 5V power connections from the external PSU

Whatever.  5v to supply 1000W is poor choice.  Even with PCI-e 8 pin is rated for what? 150W?  They would need 8 of these to under run their system.

End of story.  Not sure why you even try to defend this.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Guys chill down, 5v is for the interface (Raspberry or any other SOC thing). In the other thread ppl received an answer about SSH access and web GUI, so probably there is a small Linux thingie between the Ethernet interface and the asics themselves.

The big part will be driven from 12 volts, with mobo and pci express connectors. It can't be anything else, there's no reason to project something with custom PSU specs without including it in the product!
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
Nice to see a little progress, but like everyone else I am not happy to see it will use 5v. I have a lot of ATX PSUs laying around, it would be nice to be able to use them.

I do not think it was a typo... its kind of hard to accidentally type 5 instead of 12..

Would something like this require much redesigning to switch it over to 12v... as in, if everyone requests they use 12v, can they make the switch easily? I know nothing about PCB design.
Why 5V external power?  Most ATX PSU are designed to deliver most of their power on the 12V rail(s).

+1

Someone did not think this through.  It should have multiple banks of PCI-e 8 pin connectors, run in parallel.

Hard to believe.

The small slot at the front is to accommodate the multiple 5V power connections from the external PSU
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468

+1

Hard to believe.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001
/dev/null
if they are targeting business market, I'm fine with it, but in this case PSU outside miner doesn't make any sense.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
That Meanwell would work, but as has been said it's very inefficient relative to a good ATX supply. You're also going to have ~6x the losses in your cabling from the unit to the onboard DC/DC that you would have at 12V as well.
It is also going to be cooled by a single 40mm or 50mm fan howling like a banshee. You will not want to be in the room (or house) with a couple of those guys running.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Note that those (like most industrial PSUs), have screw terminal connections. Not consumer friendly.

100A at 5V is just 500W. And its input is 12V so we still have the multiple stepdown problem with efficiency.

KnCminer terms and conditions specify that they are selling a product for business, not end users. So that could justify why there is necessary a PSU not so "consumer friendly".

I would think it would have to be a typo. I've reached out to KnC to confirm, as this would be a major design flaw even if they were targeting the "business" market.
Firing it up
Four trimmed Beings like 4 gPU on board, close to the CAD design and even better, good job. Some people may ask if the actual design can handle the heat as the being, 1000W, the 8-pin and the 6-pin can answer the most as ORSoc may take part in some serious designs like GPU.

The actual picture is not enough, where is the board?

Activity: 196
The bad news is that PSU highlight the problem exactly.  It's efficiency 120VAC -> 5VDC is 82%.  Now the chips don't run at 5V (or 3.3V or 12V) so there has to be another converter on board.  Most like 5VDC down to ~1VDC.  Efficiency there may be 90%.

If you look back at previous newsletters it shows a picture of the quad chip with 0.9V DC/DC power converters. Almost certainly 12V input (its not a problem for a single stage buck converter). They also mention hosting, with explicit ATX power supplies. so the 5V is almost certainly a typo.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
cryptoshark

those cases will not survive shipment.

wtf is this lol.

it is ugly, not durable, looking cheap and disgusting.

terrible design.

it is such a shame...
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503

Like you said, lets hope it is a typo (it really uses 12V not 5V at board level) and not a horribly stupid design choice.

If that is not a typo, this would be enough to power up the unit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Switching-Power-Supply-SE-600-5-5V-100A-600W-AC85-264Vin-247x127x63-MeanWell-/130891366233#vi-content

100A at 5V is just 500W. And its input is 12V so we still have the multiple stepdown problem with efficiency scratch that, damn eyesight  Roll Eyes
Making the user try to find a PSU capable of up to 200 amps on 5V (Jupiter pulls 1000W) is going to immediately kill of the most accessible, best priced, and high efficiency options ... ATX (computer) PSU.

Not to mention the fire risk (thinking of the guy who melted his Avalon PDU). Even 12 volts is 80 amps at 1000W. Make sure you plug all of those connectors in before firing it up (I wonder if there may be a consumer equipment safety problem here. I would hate for it to fail to get a CE/UL sticker).
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Like you said, lets hope it is a typo (it really uses 12V not 5V at board level) and not a horribly stupid design choice.

If that is not a typo, this would be enough to power up the unit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Switching-Power-Supply-SE-600-5-5V-100A-600W-AC85-264Vin-247x127x63-MeanWell-/130891366233#vi-content

Pages:
Jump to: