Pages:
Author

Topic: Landmark Event For Bitcoin: First Full & Independent Wallet - page 2. (Read 10054 times)

legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
Nice! And much needed!
Down with all central points of failure!

Ente
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
Very cool.

Though I'll repeat what I've told alternative implementers,

_Please_ do not mine on this until it at least passes the block tester. Inconsistencies in block validation can result in devastating forks which would be harmful to all Bitcoin users and not just the users of the inconsistent software. This is more of a risk today than it ever was since a majority of mining is just in three hands and so many people use SPV wallets.

This sounds just as much like a condemnation of the way the network has diversified as it does a plea to maintain stability for the common good. Has anyone ever come up with a good design for a non-sequential blockchain, i.e. the validity of one block does not depend upon network consensus? Sounds like a totally different logic to the Satoshi model, but I wonder whether so much reliance on the core dev client doesn't go against the decentralised ethos? "The Bitcoin model is that it has no central authority, apart from all the exceptions to this principle, of course"
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

Please don't do any more media appearances - this kind of work is better. - we appreciate this kind of work. Thank you Amir.

I am a squatter and anarchist. I'm not your yuppie making toy apps. I build tools for the people. If I don't conform to your vision of how Bitcoin should look like, then that's your problem.

+1  

Bitcoin is a worldwide community base from businessmen to anarchists, rich to poor and someday maybe even females will start to use it.  Smiley
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
cool so when are you going to give the coins back to the people you stole from either intentionally or through criminal negligence?
Activity: 200
Merit: 104
Software design and user experience.
Thanks for email address, I've sent you a message.

Offtopic: what do you mean by saying you are a "squatter"? Just for my education.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
I think it is great to have another client development line. Thanks Amir!!
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002
... Inconsistencies in block validation can result in devastating forks which would be harmful to all Bitcoin users and not just the users of the inconsistent software. This is more of a risk today than it ever was since a majority of mining is just in three hands and so many people use SPV wallets.

I agree.

However, I'll note this highlights what I've said before about economic dependence solely on Bitcoin being risky. The last sentence above doesn't currently pertain to Litecoin, for example.
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
Very cool.

Though I'll repeat what I've told alternative implementers,

_Please_ do not mine on this until it at least passes the block tester. Inconsistencies in block validation can result in devastating forks which would be harmful to all Bitcoin users and not just the users of the inconsistent software. This is more of a risk today than it ever was since a majority of mining is just in three hands and so many people use SPV wallets.
legendary
Can this client build Block templates and accept/propagate block solutions on the network? Does it have a name yet? (I thought sx was the name of your toolset?)
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
I like the fact that you used the AGPL license. This will make it illegal for people to run their custom builds of the software without publishing the changes.
Are you going to build your own Bitcoin Foundation around this software? Or are you aiming to have it supported like the Bitcoin-QT client?
Activity: 360
Merit: 250
Amir,

Is this a full client node?

Are regular (non-"deterministic") wallets supported?
Activity: 602
Merit: 254
🔰FERRUM NETWORK🔰
Great to see more wallets out there!

Curious:  What is an independent and full software stack?

bitcoinj is 100% independent of bitcoind codebase, and has been deployed in the field through multibit and Bitcoin Wallet for a while.

I thought bitcoinj depends on full nodes, does it not?

It does. It won't act as a full peer, and most of the blockchain strategies don't store the full blockchain anyway. It does do transaction verification and it relies on full peers for it's own blockchain download.
legendary

bitcoinj is 100% independent of bitcoind codebase, and has been deployed in the field through multibit and Bitcoin Wallet for a while.

I thought bitcoinj depends on full nodes, does it not?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099

legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
Legittttt

Man I really need to learn how to code so I can contribute something to Bitcoin rather than leeching.

Soon.
The King and the Fireman much?

Contribute to Bitcoin doing what you do best. If your calling in life was to be a software developer you would have been one already.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Keep up the good work man!!! This is great!

Quick questions: What sort of minimum system resources does this require?
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
I hope to get more info about this in Barcelona!
legendary
Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007
Legittttt

Man I really need to learn how to code so I can contribute something to Bitcoin rather than leeching.

Soon.
Pages:
Jump to: