Pages:
Author

Topic: Lavabit.com and Tormail Email Alternatives... - page 3. (Read 31109 times)

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
Looks like we're all screwed. At least until The Pirate Bay releases Hemlis.  Wink
https://heml.is/

Soon™
For anyone curious and lazy to google.

Thats for sure a strange mix, encrypted end to end communication and posting your personal infos on facebook and twitter.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Looks like we're all screwed. At least until The Pirate Bay releases Hemlis.  Wink
https://heml.is/

Soon™
For anyone curious and lazy to google.
Activity: 860
Merit: 1004
BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo
ByteMail

ByteMail is a decentralized, P2P, communication protocol for sending messages over a secure connection on the internet. ByteMail was created in order to provide people with a way to send messages without worrying about a third party intercepting and reading these messages. ByteMail ships with a webUI as well as a command-line UI.

If you are a developer and would like to contribute to the ByteMail project, check out the project on Github here: http://github.com/ByteMail

Official project home: bytemailproject.org

ByteMail seems interesting but the fact that the project seems to be at its infancy is a bit of let down.
It will definitely discourage many potential users from adopting it.

Yes it's still in it's infancy but it's usable now and supports multiple OS and it's free and opensource.
legendary
http://www.chronicles.no/2013/08/bitmessage-crackdown.html

Mr "Robert White" was behind the "attack" (message from secupost.net and Bitmessage):
-- -- --
This message is also available at http://secupost.net

Alright, the messages sent out a few days ago are starting to expire now. It's time for everyone to learn what the purpose of secupost.net is.

As many of you guessed, this is indeed a Bitmessage address to IP address mapper. Yes, the only thing that webserver would send was a 500 message.

It did alright too, gathering nearly 500 bitmessage users information after sending 15000 messages. Double what I expected.

I've included both a log of each address detected and the first thing to hit it including IP, reverse DNS and useragent as well as raw logs for every valid request. If you need to confirm this signature so you can verify messages from me when bitmessage is down, please see the bitmessage general chan for a copy from my bitmessage address.

So, future lessons:
- - - Yes, all bitmessage addresses are public and can be read from your messages.dat file using a small script.
- - - Don't click links. Even if it looks like a security-related site and uses some technical terms. I am not a nice person, I will publish any information I can gather about you and I don't care if you get lit on fire by terrorists because of it.
- - - Bitmessage does _not_ scale. It took me around 3.5 hours to send ~15k messages but it took the bitmessage network over 18 hours to fully propogate them.

Some of you were smart enough to use tor or VPN providers, but many of these are direct home or server IPs. The information below is more than enough for any government to come after you or any script kiddie to DDoS you. Be more careful next time.

Some of you tried to use scripts to claim addresses which weren't yours and skew the data, of course, you didn't even change your user-agent.

Even without accouting for that your attacks were ineffective because the IDs were generated in a non-linear fashion using a cropped HMAC-SHA256. To find your id:

def gen_mac(addr):
mac = hmac.new("fuck you", addr, hashlib.sha256).digest()
return unpack('>I', mac[0:4])[0]

This simple deterministic method means that you would have had to try... (2^32/15000)/2 = 143165 times on average just to get a single collision. Thanks for playing, but no luck this time.

This service has been operated completely anonymously thanks to Tor and Bitcoin. I hope you enjoy the result.

Robert White (BM-2D8yr4fzoMzwndqPwLMVyzUcdfK9LWZXjY)
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
legendary
Lavabit, Silent Circle, Tormail and now Bitmessage:

It seems like all users received the following message today:

Bitmessage has several potential security issues including a broken proof of work function and potential private key leaks.

Full details:
 http://secupost.net/*RefNumber/bitmessage-security

Somebody is collecting IPs, i wonder who? Wink

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57599579/nsa-gathered-thousands-of-americans-emails-fisa-court-records-show/

Looks like one surveillance step backward (after countless steps forward).

If only trust was so easy to regain, once lost.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1049
Death to enemies!
Countermail looks good. . . and they accept Bitcoin. . . any opinions as to whether they are secure?
Look at these quotes from their webpage:
CounterMail is a secure and easy to use online
it requires no specialized computer skills or knowledge
There is no real way to verify their claims about diskless servers (lol) or no IP logging. First might be true, the second probably not. They are operating on clearnet. The owners can be traced by LEA and they still can be forced to do nasty things to their users by LEA cockheads.
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
Countermail looks good. . . and they accept Bitcoin. . . any opinions as to whether they are secure?
Activity: 558
Merit: 131

What is this ?
The Bitcoin price seems to be 800 $ there.

A bitcoin exchange for Asia it looks like. It defaults to HKD (Hong Kong Dollars), so that's why it shows up as 800.
Activity: 504

What is this ?
The Bitcoin price seems to be 800 $ there.
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
I'm interested to know what you suggest to replace SMTP. I have little doubt that whatever comes next will still end up being called email.

+1

ANX.HK

legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
The owner of groklaw (which she just shut down, btw), suggests https://mykolab.com/.
Activity: 632

I'm interested to know what you suggest to replace SMTP. I have little doubt that whatever comes next will still end up being called email.

what about bitmessage?

Systems like Bitmessage are the ultimate solution, but in the interim we need something to bridge the gap.

So far its looking like enigma mail + openPGP is the best option.  But getting contacts to actually setup encryption has been a challenge.

What's it gonna take for the lemmings to wake up?
Activity: 375
Merit: 250

what about bitmessage?
legendary
Activity: 916
Kim Dotcom of megaupload fame wants to get in on the act as well, starting an end-to-end encrypted email service:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/08/11/1244209/after-lavabit-shut-down-dotcoms-mega-promises-secure-mail

This should be good ... he may come across sometimes like a big, funny guy (clownish) but you know what? ... He just goes ahead and does shit, he doesn't just talk about it.

Yea there is no doubt he is a doer more than a talker, but don't walk into his playpen willy nilly. If you are looking for secure encrypted mail storage the only person you can trust is yourself. Using open source software or at least auditable services is key.

I agree.  But still I like KDC because he's bold, disruptive and a PITA to the government.  We need more like him who refuse to be sheep.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000
i havent done much research into hosting my own server. i use a combination of gmail and bitmessage depending on who im talking to.

im really excited about MailPile though.

The project is run by 3 developers, 1 from google, 1 a member of the Icelandic Pirate Party, and 1 open source user interface developer.

Its still in the works, but should be useable in 6-12 months.

You can follow their progress and look up details here.

http://www.mailpile.is/

this looks really promising. I will "contribute" the $23 thing Smiley
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Self-hosting your own mail server is a short term solution for long term problem. e-mail must be retired because of usability and security problems. Just like BBS or Gopher is no longer used by mainstream.

BBS? Isn't that what we're having this conversation on?

Activity: 279
Merit: 250
Here i am speaking to the hard work mike has put in making bitcoinj possible. You'd do well to remember that.

Thanks .. maybe I will. Deifying devs and calling people dicks is probably not going to make me listen to you much though ... I wonder how he missed that random number generator Android bug for soooo long? Maybe concentrating on the law enforcement possibilities for bitcoinJ was occupying too much of his dev mind share?

lol deify? boy oh boy i love leaps in logic.

But sure thing mate, you're the boss. I'll stop defending someone who has dedicated their time to meaningful development in the bitcoin space and start throwing baseless accusations around that even if they were true, wouldn't fly in practice. Happy now?

What I can tell you is I'm definitely over this OT convo tho, thanks for the insights.

To make this post worthwhile:
Self-hosting your own mail server is a short term solution for long term problem. e-mail must be retired because of usability and security problems. Just like BBS or Gopher is no longer used by mainstream.

I agree to an extent, although it will be ages before email is phased out. An easy-to-use alternative will have to be made accessible first.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Here i am speaking to the hard work mike has put in making bitcoinj possible. You'd do well to remember that.

Thanks .. maybe I will. Deifying devs and calling people dicks is probably not going to make me listen to you much though ... I wonder how he missed that random number generator Android bug for soooo long? Maybe concentrating on the law enforcement possibilities for bitcoinJ was occupying too much of his dev mind share?
Pages:
Jump to: