Pages:
Author

Topic: Lavabit.com and Tormail Email Alternatives... - page 8. (Read 31109 times)

Activity: 596
Merit: 500
I am eagerly awaiting the release of StartMail, from the StartPage developers:

https://beta.startmail.com/

Can they be trusted with our data? Are they an American company? And are they as secure as Lavabit?

Looks like a great alternative that will definitely be needed for us ex-Lavabit users whom await good news about the service.

It sounds like it will be the best choice for private email available. I know StartPage is highly recommended for internet searches as it uses the google search engine but without all the tracking.

Not sure where they will be based out of - I highly doubt it will be the US as that would defeat the whole purpose.

I was a Lavabit user too - when I researched them and discovered they were American I didn't want to use them but there weren't any other good alternatives. I pray that StartMail is what we've all been waiting for.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
I assume someone has already mentioned bitmessage.org (even though it's not email) it could replace email someday as a secure alternative.
Unless it becomes possible to send and receive messages to non-bitmessage users I highly doubt it will gain much acceptance. There's too much network effect to overcome.

It is already possible to configure Thunderbird mail client to route mail through the bitmessage network ... it will become just another protocol layer option like POP, IMAP, SMTP, etc.
legendary
Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233
The sad thing is that encryption is complicated enough that the average law-abiding citizen will not jump through the hoops required to get it up and running, but so cheap and easily accessible that any criminal or terrorist smart enough to pose a real threat can easily incorporate it.

It doesn't make sense that the government is spending so much money and effort collecting all of this private data just to catch the dumbest terrorists out there.
It makes perfect sense if you understand that the primary purpose of collecting all this private data is not to guard you from terrorists!

The government needs all this data to control society through social engineering and paid media presstitutes. It is not that difficult to see what is in the mind of a senior government official. They know better what is good for us than we do. They are responsible statesmen. Average Joe and Mary are just dumb sheeple.
Activity: 375
Merit: 250
For email services, I think running your own mail server is a good idea.

those interested in easy to encrypt email hosted on your own servers, check out MailPile.

they are Foss, and are raising money on indigogo.

@MailPileTeam

http://mailpile.is/

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mailpile-taking-e-mail-back

and they take bitcoin!

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

Can they be trusted with our data? Are they an American company? And are they as secure as Lavabit?

Looks like a great alternative that will definitely be needed for us ex-Lavabit users whom await good news about the service.
Activity: 596

Activity: 211
Merit: 101
The sad thing is that encryption is complicated enough that the average law-abiding citizen will not jump through the hoops required to get it up and running, but so cheap and easily accessible that any criminal or terrorist smart enough to pose a real threat can easily incorporate it.

It doesn't make sense that the government is spending so much money and effort collecting all of this private data just to catch the dumbest terrorists out there.
Activity: 602
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
Well then what about The PirateBay's encrypted chat messaging project?
I haven't heard much talk about it from the Bitcoin community and they were even taking Bitcoin donations.
I donated $5 worth of BTC to the project and in return will receive to codes to unlock some feature when the app is released.

The only down side to all of this is that the app will only be available for iOS and Android devices. They will eventually make the app for PCs but not until they've completed the phone version.

Here's a link to the site: https://heml.is
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
I assume someone has already mentioned bitmessage.org (even though it's not email) it could replace email someday as a secure alternative.
Unless it becomes possible to send and receive messages to non-bitmessage users I highly doubt it will gain much acceptance. There's too much network effect to overcome.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
legendary
Activity: 997
Merit: 1002
Gamdom.com
Activity: 335
What is the opinion here about hushmail.com?
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Yeah, because I'm sure that everyone I communicate with knows what encryption is, and how to send/receive encrypted e-mails.  
This video might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakOKJFtB-k

Aside from Bitmessage, anyone know of any other alternatives?
There's a mail server in the I2P network that it linked to the outside internet via a relay.
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
Hopefully they don't shutdown for good.I don't think I'll be using any email service in the meantime.
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
Just use whatever email you like and encrypt your message. Encourage your recipients to do the same.

Yeah, because I'm sure that everyone I communicate with knows what encryption is, and how to send/receive encrypted e-mails.  
Activity: 219
Merit: 101
Just use whatever email you like and encrypt your message. Encourage your recipients to do the same.

+1

I don't understand why would someone use tormail or any other "hidden" email service for that matter, if I was a fed looking for drug dealers that would be the first place I'd look, same thing with sensitive information..

You're absolutely right, but the issue is that many users don't know how to to encrypt their message.  Could you ask your mom to send you an encrypted email, for example? 
Activity: 409
They should move the operation to iceand
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
I do not sell Bitcoins. I sell SHA256(SHA256()).
For email services, I think running your own mail server is a good idea.
Activity: 900
Merit: 1000
Crypto Geek
I think encryption of messages sounds great but not too many people know about it or how to use it and TBH I think encryption is a little difficult to understand. I mean, even Nimda was offering lessons on PGP/GPG encryption here on the Bitcoin forum where you would expect most members to be pretty tech savvy.

Very much agreed. It should be simpler.
I think the key to things like Blackberry Messenger that have become more widely used is that the keys are already generated. I know this is not as good as making sure you generate your own but it means it's alot more likely to be used. The insecurity this brings up only opens up a crack for feds and above to get in and most people only need a little bit more security than they currenctly have.

Thus an example,

k9mail (or a new app) should automatically generate gpg keys and pair this to your email on install, unless otherwise instructed. The pubkey is attached automatically and al messages signed by default.
Pages:
Jump to: