Pages:
Author

Topic: Lavabit.com and Tormail Email Alternatives... - page 7. (Read 31109 times)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10
Has anyone used 'safe-mail.net' ??
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
There are indeed limited options when it comes to ensuring your email is indeed secure and yet it also providing the availability, reliability and feature set of an enterprise grade email offering.  These offerings are usually provided by one of the big four and furthermore also hosted in an unfriendly jurisdiction whereby your email is already likely being analysed and you're being profiled for the purpose of improving their advertising mediums.

You can attempt to do this yourself but it is expensive to set-up and expensive to maintain.  I'm sure people will respond reminding me of the $3.95 per month hosting plans but these almost always fall into one of the three following categories:

- Shared or virtual servers. i.e. no longer secure
 - Hosted in an unfriendly jurisdiction. i.e. no longer safe, or secure
 - Do not provide the availability or resiliency that email requires. i.e. no longer reliable

I do look on with interest as to some of the upcoming developments others have posted on this thread.  I welcome anything that helps our emails stay the way they were originally intended...private.
Activity: 3
I still prefer end-to-end encryption. There are some decent clients for GPG or PGP, we just need to get more people using them.

...and yet people still scramble for 'convenience' or whatever reason they want the next big thing.

GPG was released 14 years ago!

rightclick -> encrypt -> pick your recipient -> enter passphrase.
I still don't understand what's so hard about it - and you can use what ever network* you like.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you want to send an encrypted mail to person A, your have to use A's pubkey. How do you encrypt all your mail if not all of your correspondent have setup their pubkey/privkey  GPG system?
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
One of the problems with switching to new or small email companies is it is much less likely they will still be around in the future; for many people nowadays if they loose their email address, they are locked out of huge chunks of their online life.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1000
Truly decentralized stable asset
Made in Switzerland: https://www.neomailbox.com/services/secure-email

High strength SSL encryption
    IMAP, SMTP, POP3 and Webmail
    Multi-level spam and virus protection
    Unlimited disposable email addresses
    OpenPGP encryption, digital signatures
    IP hiding for enhanced privacy
    RSS feeds delivered via email
    Hosted in Switzerland

We have been increasingly concerned about the alarming erosion of online privacy rights in the USA over the past decade that we've offered Secure Email services hosted in the USA.

To offer our customers an alternative to hosting their email in the USA, in 2004 we began offering Offshore Secure Email service hosted in The Netherlands, and in 2010 we moved all Offshore Secure Email accounts to servers hosted in Switzerland, which affords some of the strongest legal privacy protections for customer email messages stored on our servers.

Yeah, that is all nice- but you don't offer an option to pay in BITCOIN?  Are you an Amish-owned company?
Activity: 98
Made in Switzerland: https://www.neomailbox.com/services/secure-email

High strength SSL encryption
    IMAP, SMTP, POP3 and Webmail
    Multi-level spam and virus protection
    Unlimited disposable email addresses
    OpenPGP encryption, digital signatures
    IP hiding for enhanced privacy
    RSS feeds delivered via email
    Hosted in Switzerland

We have been increasingly concerned about the alarming erosion of online privacy rights in the USA over the past decade that we've offered Secure Email services hosted in the USA.

To offer our customers an alternative to hosting their email in the USA, in 2004 we began offering Offshore Secure Email service hosted in The Netherlands, and in 2010 we moved all Offshore Secure Email accounts to servers hosted in Switzerland, which affords some of the strongest legal privacy protections for customer email messages stored on our servers.
Activity: 98
https://www.penango.com/ is an option to have end-to-end encryption with gmail webmail. Not FOSS.

They are an American company.

Did you read the small print?

It reads:

We will disclose information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary to respond to claims and legal process, to protect the property and rights of Penango, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity that we consider to be illegal or legally actionable.

NSA has full access to them.
Activity: 14
https://www.penango.com/ is an option to have end-to-end encryption with gmail webmail. Not FOSS.
legendary
Activity: 997
Merit: 1002
Gamdom.com

It sounds like it will be the best choice for private email available. I know StartPage is highly recommended for internet searches as it uses the google search engine but without all the tracking.

Not sure where they will be based out of - I highly doubt it will be the US as that would defeat the whole purpose.

Ixquick is UK based ...
Ixquick is based in New York and the Netherlands
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Have you ever watched a normal people use a computer? Have you ever tried to help someone who doesn't know anything about cryptography set up an email client to use PGP?

Yep - These are the same people who can't won't learn to drive a manual gearbox'd car because its 'too hard'. People just don't want to learn or discover new things, or ways to do things better, so they suffer.

(I mean NO SHIT, you mean Gmail is free and just runs itself? Ok then imma use it! Obviously Google have nothing to gain from it....)
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
I still don't understand what's so hard about it
Have you ever watched a normal people use a computer? Have you ever tried to help someone who doesn't know anything about cryptography set up an email client to use PGP?

It's a usability disaster.

Look at the video I posted earlier in the thread and could the number of steps involved, then consider that in general every button click required to get a program installed cuts the number of potential users in half.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
I still prefer end-to-end encryption. There are some decent clients for GPG or PGP, we just need to get more people using them.

...and yet people still scramble for 'convenience' or whatever reason they want the next big thing.

GPG was released 14 years ago!

rightclick -> encrypt -> pick your recipient -> enter passphrase.
I still don't understand what's so hard about it - and you can use what ever network* you like.

*email/skype/forum pm/bitmessage/paper&pen/write it on a pigeon..
Activity: 332
Merit: 253
Activity: 4

Just use whatever email you like and encrypt your message. Encourage your recipients to do the same.

+1

I don't understand why would someone use tormail or any other "hidden" email service for that matter, if I was a fed looking for drug dealers that would be the first place I'd look, same thing with sensitive information..

I'm not sure if someone already answered this further in the thread, but allow me to offer this. If someone wants to prove something regarding your communications with another party, having proof in the meta data that you did indeed send or receive email from a person's account goes a long way toward making their case.

If your spouse says you had an affair or your boss says you shared trade secrets, and an attorney can compel Gmail to reveal that you were regularly emailing the party in question, then they have a lot more leverage than with out such data.

Reaching your email via Tor protect you from anyone knowing where you visited and keeps the visited website from logging your IP and identifying you.

Money Changer
legendary
Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233
I assume someone has already mentioned bitmessage.org (even though it's not email) it could replace email someday as a secure alternative.
Unless it becomes possible to send and receive messages to non-bitmessage users I highly doubt it will gain much acceptance. There's too much network effect to overcome.

It is already possible to configure Thunderbird mail client to route mail through the bitmessage network ... it will become just another protocol layer option like POP, IMAP, SMTP, etc.
Excellent.
legendary
Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
There's also I2P mail, which has a gateway out to the internet at large.
The only problem with I2P mail is that the admins don't want heavy usage, i.e you're only supposed to download mail a few times per day.

That makes sense when it's necessary to operate it as a free service, but it's no longer impossible to make anonymous online payments to services like that.

Perhaps whomever runs that site could be persuaded to make a paid premium version.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

It sounds like it will be the best choice for private email available. I know StartPage is highly recommended for internet searches as it uses the google search engine but without all the tracking.

Not sure where they will be based out of - I highly doubt it will be the US as that would defeat the whole purpose.

Ixquick is UK based ...
Activity: 602
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
I am eagerly awaiting the release of StartMail, from the StartPage developers:

https://beta.startmail.com/

Can they be trusted with our data? Are they an American company? And are they as secure as Lavabit?

Looks like a great alternative that will definitely be needed for us ex-Lavabit users whom await good news about the service.

I was a Lavabit user too - when I researched them and discovered they were American I didn't want to use them but there weren't any other good alternatives. I pray that StartMail is what we've all been waiting for.

Let's hope so! I saw the video and the description they gave of the service sounds exactly the same as Lavabit's description. I'm pretty excited for it myself.  Grin
Activity: 726
I assume someone has already mentioned bitmessage.org (even though it's not email) it could replace email someday as a secure alternative.
Unless it becomes possible to send and receive messages to non-bitmessage users I highly doubt it will gain much acceptance. There's too much network effect to overcome.

It is already possible to configure Thunderbird mail client to route mail through the bitmessage network ... it will become just another protocol layer option like POP, IMAP, SMTP, etc.

There's also I2P mail, which has a gateway out to the internet at large.
Pages:
Jump to: