Pages:
Author

Topic: Legal complaint against bitcoinica.com - page 4. (Read 13937 times)

Activity: 698
Merit: 500
February 17, 2012, 04:47:27 AM
you are soo greedy that you lost your minds...
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
February 17, 2012, 02:26:12 AM
What jurisdiction does Spain have anyway? Prolly the best they can do is make it illegal for their citizens to use Bitcoinica.  Huh
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 502
February 17, 2012, 02:20:36 AM
Dear Bitcointalk members,

Thank you for your active participation in this thread. We're now working on the official response regarding this matter and hopefully we can clear things up.

Meanwhile, we want to make clear a few things:

- Bitcoinica is no longer a product of xWaylab Inc., and we no longer operate in the jurisdiction of Delaware. We have registered a new entity outside of United States and we are now a fully licensed financial services provider in that country. (We will announce our new corporate structure with proof of financial services license available from a government site.)

- Bitcoinica is a Bitcoin CFD (Contract For Difference) trading platform, not a bucket shop. Even though our trading facilities don't deliver actual Bitcoins, there is actual trading of Bitcoins among Bitcoinica customers or at other exchanges. The benefit of trading CFDs instead of Bitcoins is the possibility of margin trading of commodity-like assets, instead of contract-like assets. The underlying trading process is absolutely legal.

- We have a legal deadline for doing KYC procedures, and currently we are still far from that. However, we are considering requiring identification documents from our customers. We will launch a poll to hear your voices.

It's surprising that the OP didn't give us more than 3 days to announce the changes at the corporate side of Bitcoinica, and this thread has forced us to put aside our technical development and focus on the legal problems right away. We will address these issues soon.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
We are bees, and we hate you.
February 17, 2012, 02:15:28 AM
Perspectives fully reversed in this thread.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
February 17, 2012, 02:04:31 AM
Despite digging his business its own grave, I think OP did actually something GOOD to the BTC economy:

IMO the complaint is just an obvious sample of what may be going on behind the scenes anyway. If we honestly thought nobody would ever question the legitimacy or status of BTC businesses, if just kept quiet about it, we would have changed that way of thinking at least after the recent pressure on tradehill & paxum became public. Its overdue.

So what are we complaining about?

In fact this little wake up call (and I certainly hope Zhou takes it seriously) may prove to be beneficial to BTC and Bitcoinica after all. If BTC related businesses havent thought too much about legal implications of their doing, then now they will start. Preparing and building resilience against legal difficulties can never be wrong. After all its only one individual lodging this rant. On top of all, its Spain (no offence Spanians Wink )being a small market possible action may not affect others immediately. Being also part of the EU, any rulings may take a long time and can be expected to be publicly discussed, making it possible to take part in the decision making process.

To sum up, nothing unexpected should have happened and it only paves another step on the road to mainstream adoption.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
February 17, 2012, 01:36:17 AM
I think it's the whole idea of:

"Hey, we're developing technology that will free people to use their money how they see fit, send and receive it to and from anyone they like, and use it without any meddling by banks and governments!"

"Realy? Let me report that to the authorities, just in case!"

that's somewhat disgusting  Undecided

Also, can someone explain to me why money laundering is a bad thing? Bitcoin launders money every time you send money to someone and receive change to a different random address. What's wrong with having anonymous money?

please read at least the first posts Rassah, you will understand. The laundering involves us dollars and i don't know why it's a bad thing in general, guess it has something to do with war on drugs.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
February 17, 2012, 01:20:30 AM
I think it's the whole idea of:

"Hey, we're developing technology that will free people to use their money how they see fit, send and receive it to and from anyone they like, and use it without any meddling by banks and governments!"

"Realy? Let me report that to the authorities, just in case!"

that's somewhat disgusting  Undecided

Also, can someone explain to me why money laundering is a bad thing? Bitcoin launders money every time you send money to someone and receive change to a different random address. What's wrong with having anonymous money?
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
February 17, 2012, 12:55:20 AM
you made great post and now you ruin it, bitcoinica operates with mtgox codes and their codes too without requiring any identification. I have access to it so the service can be used from Spain, thus under Spanish jurisdiction too. Dollars are used to make the deposits and pay interest.

So every internet web site can be accessed from every country in the world.  So every site on the internet is under every jurisdiction in the world?  

yep!  and its every persons responsibility to file police reports about every website that could, in your opinion, be in violation of any law in any country you live in or have visited in the last 180 days.  having absolutely no evidence should not cause you to hesitate for even a second, it is your duty!

Cheesy

Seriously though, filing a complaint/inquiry with the police is not the same thing as filing a police report of some criminal action. It's like knocking on the window of a police car and asking if "that man over there walking around in his house without any clothes on is breaking the law or not".
Activity: 616
Merit: 506
February 17, 2012, 12:49:16 AM
you made great post and now you ruin it, bitcoinica operates with mtgox codes and their codes too without requiring any identification. I have access to it so the service can be used from Spain, thus under Spanish jurisdiction too. Dollars are used to make the deposits and pay interest.

So every internet web site can be accessed from every country in the world.  So every site on the internet is under every jurisdiction in the world?  

yep!  and its every persons responsibility to file police reports about every website that could, in your opinion, be in violation of any law in any country you live in or have visited in the last 180 days.  having absolutely no evidence should not cause you to hesitate for even a second, it is your duty!
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
February 17, 2012, 12:33:18 AM

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
We are bees, and we hate you.
February 17, 2012, 12:31:21 AM
-1 to this thread.
Makes me queasy. Makes me uneasy.
Reminds me of when I was a little boy, and a barefoot girl stole one of my shoes in gym.
She told the teacher I stole her other shoe, and got me banned from recess for a few days.

This looks like a case of envy and tattling. Disheartening.
legendary
February 17, 2012, 12:21:59 AM
Parapain opened up a channel to the police in regards to a bitcoin business. If anything, he has an opportunity to learn directly from working officials on bitcoin laws in Spain. When everyone's done being angry and realizes that there is nothing the Spanish inquisition can do about a business in Singapore, why not ask Parapain to relay some questions to the police (since they're already looking into it)?

Use opportunities people. The door's already open, let's just walk through it.

Sounds like you have another police report to file then-- for MtGox! ^_^

actually i don't, their info is publicly available and they comply with AML regulations, had my doubts using them at first
February 17, 2012, 12:19:03 AM
Parapain opened up a channel to the police in regards to a bitcoin business. If anything, he has an opportunity to learn directly from working officials on bitcoin laws in Spain. When everyone's done being angry and realizes that there is nothing the Spanish inquisition can do about a business in Singapore, why not ask Parapain to relay some questions to the police (since they're already looking into it)?

Sounds like you have another police report to file then-- for MtGox! ^_^
legendary
February 17, 2012, 12:09:34 AM

February 17, 2012, 12:04:27 AM

legendary
February 17, 2012, 12:00:32 AM
^matthew's post, and the fact that bitcoinica gets external funds from mtgox codes to hedge or pay interest.

Glad you stepped by Matthew and do some constructive posting, i will patiently wait for an official response from bitcoinica wherever they please most. Until then I will be in my "cave" trying not to disturb more these forums and hope the police will keep me updated.

@teflone i've been called things all my life, i got used to it
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
February 16, 2012, 11:58:24 PM
 I dig....He's a jive turkey...
February 16, 2012, 11:50:19 PM
My comment about this in another thread:

Everytime I go to sleep.... Christ.

There is nothing wrong with paraipan doing what he did though given the information that he had. He doesn't know Zhoutong like I do, nor did he bother to research Singaporean law and get to the bottom of all the legalities of Bitcoinica. Absolutely nothing will come of the police report paraipan filed, and within a month the information paraipan wanted will be made available to the entire community anyway so please don't be so butthurt about it.

Also, paraipan speaks Spanish and English. He wants to be a part of the magazine translating. Whenever I can use him, I will. Just...let's start asking questions first people. There are literally thinktanks just sitting around waiting for inquiries and everyone seems to just get bored and run off on tangents.

Man.. guys like you are the reason why I hate the law.

If you don't like a service don't do business with it.

Laws were originally created to help keep order and minimize difficulties living in a society. International laws are very complex and require months if not years of litigation to come to decisions on. The law that Bitcoinica operates under is not an international one and according to my own research, anyone other a Singaporean citizen themselves can use Bitcoinica legally regardless of it's registration. Bottom line, regardless of how absurd it may seem in relation to your own country's laws and practices, what is illegal in your country isn't necessarily illegal in another. Parapain didn't know this and he hasn't caused any trouble at all.

Here's how it's going to play out:

1) Police will push the inquiry to the detectives unit
2) They will find out where Bitcoinica operates out of
3) They will find out that the bank accounts are in Singapore
4) They will close the inquiry.

Nothing lost, only a few members getting an education. If one single member of the forum filing a police report locally could stop bitcoinica, then that wouldn't be a company worth anything now would it? I hope you guys don't seriously think it'd be that easy...

Spain != Singapore

Go after an ACTUAL proven scammer you idiot..

It's just lack of information. To parapain, this was a potential scammer. He couldn't have known without knowing, and if he knew he wouldn't have needed to know. You dig? Now he knows.
legendary
February 16, 2012, 11:45:28 PM
To OP

Your lack of brains is amazing...

Such slime...

lol, how can you prove a scammer before he scams ?
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
February 16, 2012, 11:37:46 PM
To OP

Your lack of brains is amazing...

Such slime...
Pages:
Jump to: