Pages:
Author

Topic: Lightning network - page 2. (Read 624 times)

Activity: 239
Merit: 10
July 30, 2018, 07:43:00 AM
Lightning network will make Bitcoin fastest and one of the cheapest crypto. It will make manny crypto which only advantage over bitcoin is transaction fees and speed useless. It will suck money from them and pump bitcoin. Week ago i found tool to track lightning network developement progress and I would like to share it with you guys. I think its worth to check regularly.

https://p2sh.info/dashboard/db/lightning-network?orgId=1&from=now-6M&to=now

Today sum of opened chanels has value of 95 bitcoins. Its not that much but as you can see it was 75 BTC week ago and  chart looks like it could be 200 in next week. I think that ligdtning network developement is speeding up and soonly we will have great news about it and price can jump to unknown levels. And none TA will show that.
I have heard some of the positive reviews about those lightning networks, but I'm still amazed how can you apply that thing on the decentralised bitcoin transactions system. Maybe it would be a mediator?
Activity: 231
Merit: 16
July 30, 2018, 03:53:46 AM
Lightning Network is a proposed implementation of Hashed Timelock Contracts (HTLCs) with bi-directional payment channels which allows payments to be securely routed across multiple peer-to-peer payment channels. This allows the formation of a network where any peer on the network can pay any other peer even if they don't directly have a channel open between each other.
Activity: 364
Merit: 13
Killing Lightning Network with a 51% Ignore attack
July 30, 2018, 03:26:23 AM
[snipped]

dude why do you keep feeding this troll? Zin-Zang has been doing the same thing last year with SegWit and kept spreading nonsense about it like this but with a different account while advertising his altcoin. that account is banned now by the way and he is ban-evading right now.

It's undoubtedly easier for us to recognise that Zin-Zang is a troll, because we have the experience and knowledge to make an informed judgement.  But it would be just as easy for anyone new to Bitcoin to be lured in by such posts and start believing something that's not true.  Best to nip it in the bud.  The last thing we need is a whole forum full of people claiming it's some sort of conspiracy to create "banking 2.0".

Wow , both of you think I am a troll, both of you luv bitcoin and both of you think LN is great
therefore according to Pursuer small world theory , you too must be the same person.

Nah, I have never been that lame as to believe people that shared the same views are all the same person.
Enjoy your conspiracy.  Cheesy

P.S. I am Batman in my spare time.  Wink

(Took 6 weeks for that leg to heal.)   Tongue

@Pursuer,
Shame you can't tell the difference between someone speaking the truth and someone trolling.
But your problem , not mine.

LN is most definitely Banking 2.0 and multiple people have said this.
And I doubt they are all the same person.

Lightning network is a 3rd party offchain payment system

Would you care to name this supposed third party?  

LOL, LN Hub operators.

Serious how did you not know that?

Guess it won't be apparent to you even when the LN Hub is Named Bank of America. Tongue

What can a "Bank of America" hub exactly do to Bitcoin if they become a Lightning Hub? Nothing. They can also do nothing on the Lightning Network itself because Bitcoins are locked in a multisig address when opening a channel. What it can do is build on top of Lightning and do anything they like but only from within their service.

Have the Funds to be a Centralized Hub that has the majority of channels to it directly , and refuse to open channels with hubs they or government policy disapproves of.
Therefore starving non-banking hubs of funds until they run them out of business and can have their own banking monopoly like with fiat.  Wink

Guess it is not apparent to you either.  Cheesy

But how will the state stop it if anyone can open channels all over the world and outside their jurisdiction? Your debate is lost.

Are you locked in a closet or do you have access to the internet?
How does the Government currently enforce AML/KYC laws, simple they have people that will arrest your ass.
And foreign governments have their own AML/KYC laws, that can get you arrested.

https://www.moneylaunderingwatchblog.com/category/extraterritorial-application-of-us-law/
FYI:
Or just slip a few bucks to a few politicians to pass a law requiring all LN Hubs to require a Banking License and follow all KYC/AML laws.

Define banking license. No one is holding your money for you in Lightning. It will be the exchanges on top of Lightning that should be KYC/AML compliant. But it is the same set up that we have today, but more scalable because of Lightning.

Just because you guys try and twist the english language to suit your false beliefs , does not mean it will hold up in court.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.43006363

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banking_license
full banking licenses for general banking activities, such as taking deposits from the general public

Banks used to hold Gold and Silver and use Banks notes & US Dollar Notes to allow redemption of gold & silver,  
http://www.antiquemoney.com/value-of-10-gold-certificate/
Notice on the old Fiat it used to say $10 in GoldCoin

LN uses Multi signatures to hold Bitcoin (Time Locked) ,
LN uses their own notes system (ledger) to transfer balances between other LN hubs (No actual bitcoin is transacted , it is time locked remember).
Once the LN channels are closed (you can redeem your LN transactions for real bitcoin ONchain (may take up 2 weeks))

LN is exactly Banking 2.0 designed for crypto , with fees per hub , like banks charge fees.
Under the right circumstances a bank or LN hub can seize your funds.
Since LN balances are nothing more than a representation of a bitcoin, fractional reserve is possible in the future with a minor software update to LN.

Don't strain your brain,
I know you guys drank the kool-aid and believe all of the BS the core devs sprouted. Thinking is not your strong suit, otherwise you would have already come to these same conclusions.

And there has been a recent development, a thinking person can see the problem with LN.
https://medium.com/andreas-tries-blockchain/bitcoin-lightning-network-4-what-happens-when-you-close-half-of-the-lightning-network-b25b330dfad2

This guy placed $1000s of dollars worth of bitcoin in a time lock to run a LN hub for a few weeks.
His profit less than 35 cents, which if you factor in any of his input costs such as running a node or time monitoring his money, he came out at a massive loss.

LN has fees for each hub, fees for the watchtowers, plus the onchain fees.
For an LN hub to actually make any money , it is going to have to charge alot higher fees , meaning the promise of low fees , was a false promise once it actually gets operational, because stupid people can only work for free for so long before they go broke.

Now go drink your kool aid , and forget anyone ever told you the truth.
Because you can't handle the truth.  Smiley

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
July 30, 2018, 01:51:29 AM
Lightning network is a 3rd party offchain payment system

Would you care to name this supposed third party?  

LOL, LN Hub operators.

Serious how did you not know that?

Guess it won't be apparent to you even when the LN Hub is Named Bank of America. Tongue

What can a "Bank of America" hub exactly do to Bitcoin if they become a Lightning Hub? Nothing. They can also do nothing on the Lightning Network itself because Bitcoins are locked in a multisig address when opening a channel. What it can do is build on top of Lightning and do anything they like but only from within their service.

Have the Funds to be a Centralized Hub that has the majority of channels to it directly , and refuse to open channels with hubs they or government policy disapproves of.
Therefore starving non-banking hubs of funds until they run them out of business and can have their own banking monopoly like with fiat.  Wink

Guess it is not apparent to you either.  Cheesy

But how will the state stop it if anyone can open channels all over the world and outside their jurisdiction? Your debate is lost.

FYI:
Or just slip a few bucks to a few politicians to pass a law requiring all LN Hubs to require a Banking License and follow all KYC/AML laws.

Define banking license. No one is holding your money for you in Lightning. It will be the exchanges on top of Lightning that should be KYC/AML compliant. But it is the same set up that we have today, but more scalable because of Lightning.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
July 29, 2018, 07:41:31 AM
[snipped]

dude why do you keep feeding this troll? Zin-Zang has been doing the same thing last year with SegWit and kept spreading nonsense about it like this but with a different account while advertising his altcoin. that account is banned now by the way and he is ban-evading right now.

It's undoubtedly easier for us to recognise that Zin-Zang is a troll, because we have the experience and knowledge to make an informed judgement.  But it would be just as easy for anyone new to Bitcoin to be lured in by such posts and start believing something that's not true.  Best to nip it in the bud.  The last thing we need is a whole forum full of people claiming it's some sort of conspiracy to create "banking 2.0".
Activity: 82
Merit: 0
July 29, 2018, 01:30:40 AM
lightning network enables users to transacts cryptocurrency such as bitcoin over a specific short span of time.Users may interact with another via different nodes known as peer to peer.And i think some companies value this innovations that makes them more efficient both in workplace and in network.Lightning network also features malleability which uses algorithm encryption which i think more suitable for a innovative industries and marketshare.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163
Where is my ring of blades...
July 29, 2018, 01:03:49 AM
[snipped]

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
July 29, 2018, 12:58:30 AM
When LN will get full release and some adoption, altcoins will have really hard time. They will try to criticize it, which will be rare, or they'll try to adopt it themselves and will say that it works better with their network (this is what Bcash is planning to do). ETH is planning to have its own versions of LN, and together with its competitors like EOS and Cardano they will be claiming that they are better than Bitcoin because they have smart contracts.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
July 29, 2018, 12:31:25 AM
You say that as if the users do not have full control over their Bitcoins and channels. They still do have 100% of their coins.

OMG..
lets address the last point first.
in LN YOU DO NOT have full control over your bitcoins.. LEARN MULTISIG
it requires signatures of more than one person. atleast learn that as a basic first lesson.

Yes YOU DO STILL HAVE FULL CONTROL over your Bitcoins if using the Lightning network. If anything goes wrong with your channel, you simply broadcast the current state of your channel as if it was a normal on-chain Bitcoin transaction.

1.lightning is not a feature of bitcoin. its a separate service that many coin can use. so MANY coins will get the same advantage thus not bring any hype to bitcoin alone

It is not "hype" for Bitcoin that Lightning developers are after, it is to scale the network while keeping the ability of the network to scale up at the same time.

LN is not a service to scale "the network"(you are talking about bitcoin).. LN is a separate service network all on its own. LN is to allow many different coins to use this separate service network so they are no longer using the blockchain of many coins.
its got nothing to do with "scaling bitcoin" its about diverting people away from using bitcoins mainnet.
EG its not a highway that needs an extra lane and LN is that extra lane.
LN is telling people to get off the highway and use a country road along side farm trucks and pedestrians(othercoins). thus the highway doesnt get its extra lane

According to your opinion. But Lightning is nothing like a "separate service network". It is simply Bitcoins locked in a multisig address to "transact more efficiently now and then broadcast on-chain later".
Activity: 32
July 28, 2018, 06:04:14 AM
I just need a lightning network to process the transaction quickly and reduce the transaction costs, the issue you give is also worth attention, thank you
Activity: 1092
Merit: 284
July 28, 2018, 04:36:52 AM
Lightning network is the best way to make bitcoin better than before. this is an important step of blockchain technology at the time of transaction confirmation, If the lightning network will be implemented then the bitcoin transaction cost will be much smaller than before. The implementation will greatly reduce the validation time! Increase network efficiency!
Activity: 2492
Merit: 212
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
July 28, 2018, 05:22:50 AM
Am glad been in this forum at this moment of the day.  Been patiently waiting for this lightening network, many tokens truly are going to go into extinction. We can't tell what will become of BCH, currently watching it in 3D. Truly BTC scalability issue is about to end, I foresee massive adoption of BTC by big institutions.
As I believe countries and company are startimg to feel valuable about bitcoin and lightning network thats why adaption is happening continuously,from company that paying employees with cryptocurrency and big name in the industries that accepting this coins as payments so with this i am believing that mainstreaming is on our way in just couple of years if this popularization continues
legendary
July 28, 2018, 04:25:34 AM
Running a large Lightning Network node has been quite stressful.
An exploit such as we saw with heartbleed could allow an attacker to drain all funds from the node while I’m sleeping.

An exploit like heartbleed could also allow an attacker to drain the funds from your standard BTC or altcoin wallet.  Maybe you should just stop using all crypto.  You clearly aren't cut out for this stuff.  

Closing a channel using --force results in a unilateral close which makes the funds unavailable to me.
The amount of time the funds are locked up depends on the channel policy. This policy is negotiated when the channel opens.
Most channels will release the funds to me in between 1440 and 20180 minutes.
FYI:
20180 minutes is 336.33 Hours or ~2 weeks

Seems to me if the guy had complete control as some idiots think they do ,
he would not have to wait 2 weeks to find out whether or not his bitcoins are redeemed or lost forever.  Tongue

Except they won't be lost forever.  Also, this delay is only in the event of an uncooperative other party or you are the one forcing the channel closed.  If you're dealing with a legitimate retailer/merchant and they become uncooperative and cause inconvenience to their customers, they're not going to attract much business.  It's in their financial interest to follow the rules.  For the average person, this isn't going to be much of an issue.  It's fair to assume normal people ren't going to attempt running the largest node on the network.  But perhaps the larger hubs may have greater concerns in this regard, since there may be slightly less incentive for those connecting to them to play by the rules.  But then that supports the notion that LN won't result in a small number of giant, centralised hubs, instead of how you keep arguing it will.  So, as usual, thank you for undermining your own argument.
July 28, 2018, 03:58:04 AM
You say that as if the users do not have full control over their Bitcoins and channels. They still do have 100% of their coins.

OMG..
it requires signatures of more than one person. atleast learn that as a basic first lesson.

just because it is using multisignature features it doesn't mean you don't have full control over your funds. you still own the signed transaction that is required to "settle the real balance on the blockchain" so to speak if the other party didn't honor his end of the deal.
maybe you need to read the paper or use LN first at least then talk about it! Wink

Maybe someone should explain to you the definition of FULL CONTROL.
Definition of FULL : COMPLETE
Definition of CONTROL: AUTHORITY OVER

Now put them together:
FULL CONTROL = COMPLETE AUTHORITY OVER

Therefore multisignature which grants a portion of control to another party,
means exactly THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE FULL CONTROL!

Franky1 is right again and LN supporters wrong again. Looks like a pattern to me.  Cheesy

You could argue that there is shared control, but never full control.

I now understand why you LN guys are so clueless, your complete and utter failure to understand the English Language.
Explains a lot.  Cheesy

At this stage we don't even need to refute your misinterpretation of it.  We'll just quote you, so that when you realise how totally and utterly wrong you are, you won't be able to go back and edit your posts to mask your ignorance.  Anyone who does understand how this works can immediately recognise how totally unknowledgeable you and franky1 are.  Providing you act within the rules of the network and stay online to counteract any malicious activity by the other party, you are in total control of your portion of the funds in the channel.  That's how it's designed to work.  Learn smart contracts.

If you mistakenly spend from an outdated channel state or go offline and miss the expiry of the timelock, then that's a breach of the smart contract, so yes, you can potentially lose control of your funds in those situations.  But as the technology advances, developers will clearly work on reducing those risks as much as they can.  

I suggest you get a dictionary for Christmas, because you are quite literally a full/complete/total idiot.   Kiss

Largest LN Node just closed all of his channels , why : it was scaring the hell out of him that all of his funds would be stolen while he slept.
Also he did not even earn enough in fees to even cover his PC daily electricity usage. Tongue

https://1ml.com/node/036b32ac6acf6d178f47c2139b7327ab85bd3d5f5c40681a9a48109ea21f53e1e5/history

https://medium.com/andreas-tries-blockchain/bitcoin-lightning-network-4-what-happens-when-you-close-half-of-the-lightning-network-b25b330dfad2
Operating the largest node on the Bitcoin Lightning Network has been educational, frustrating, fun, and at times terrifying.

My Lightning Node has routed 389 payments, making a profit of $0.34. I suspect the increase is mostly from the recent increase in bitcoin’s price.

Running a large Lightning Network node has been quite stressful.
An exploit such as we saw with heartbleed could allow an attacker to drain all funds from the node while I’m sleeping.

Closing a channel using --force results in a unilateral close which makes the funds unavailable to me.
The amount of time the funds are locked up depends on the channel policy. This policy is negotiated when the channel opens.
Most channels will release the funds to me in between 1440 and 20180 minutes.
FYI:
20180 minutes is 336.33 Hours or ~2 weeks

Seems to me if the guy had complete control as some idiots think they do ,
he would not have to wait 2 weeks to find out whether or not his bitcoins are redeemed or lost forever.  Tongue
legendary
July 28, 2018, 03:32:27 AM

OMG..

just because it is using multisignature features it doesn't mean you don't have full control over your funds. you still own the signed transaction that is required to "settle the real balance on the blockchain" so to speak if the other party didn't honor his end of the deal.
maybe you need to read the paper or use LN first at least then talk about it! Wink

Now put them together:

Franky1 is right again and LN supporters wrong again. Looks like a pattern to me.  Cheesy

I now understand why you LN guys are so clueless, your complete and utter failure to understand the English Language.
Explains a lot.  Cheesy

At this stage we don't even need to refute your misinterpretation of it.  We'll just quote you, so that when you realise how totally and utterly wrong you are, you won't be able to go back and edit your posts to mask your ignorance.  Anyone who does understand how this works can immediately recognise how totally unknowledgeable you and franky1 are.  Providing you act within the rules of the network and stay online to counteract any malicious activity by the other party, you are in total control of your portion of the funds in the channel.  That's how it's designed to work.  Learn smart contracts.

If you mistakenly spend from an outdated channel state or go offline and miss the expiry of the timelock, then that's a breach of the smart contract, so yes, you can potentially lose control of your funds in those situations.  But as the technology advances, developers will clearly work on reducing those risks as much as they can. 
copper member
Activity: 196
July 28, 2018, 03:10:06 AM
I think lightning  network will be more  helpful to reduce transactions fee & increase the speed of network transaction in future.
Activity: 560
Merit: 11
July 28, 2018, 02:31:05 AM
good development about bitcoin lightning network, today Lightning network helps many transactions every block becomes faster and cheaper.

what if bitcoin transaction without lightning network? I think bitcoin will lose value because many people leave bitcoin.
July 28, 2018, 01:36:10 AM

OMG..

Now put them together:

Explains a lot.  Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163
Where is my ring of blades...
July 28, 2018, 01:24:02 AM

OMG..

Activity: 186
Merit: 3
July 28, 2018, 01:13:31 AM
it is true that such a development will be faster in the transaction and also has a cheaper cost and I really like that way, hopefully the next thing will be the better.
Pages:
Jump to: