Author

Topic: Linux mining distro for the Raspberry PI - MinePeon - page 103. (Read 685046 times)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0
Hi,

i did a

Code:
cd /opt/minepeon && git pull && cd http && git pull

today and now a click on the settings page throws an server error 500 at me.

Also i want to tell that it would be nice if there would be a disable button on the pool page, to disable single pools.

thanks

fr00p
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
So, I just set up a Raspberry Pi with MinePeon for the first time tonight.  Bloody awesome is the only term to describe it. =) Here's some things that weren't so obvious for me, and made me thrash around madly.

1) When using wicd-curses, you have to go into the Preferences screen and manually type in "wlan0" (without quotes) in the wireless interface box.  If you don't do that, you will tear your hair out, cuss and yell at your hapless Pi, and just generally be grumpy because wicd-curses doesn't see your wireless adapter.

2) A quick-and-dirty way to restart the miner is to go to the Pools screen and hit submit (without actually changing any settings).

3) I think something is off in the % calculations in the stats for accepted (A), Rejected (R), and Errors (E).  Take a look at these screenshots.  My best guess is that you're calculating the percents as A / R * 100 and A / E * 100.  I think the right formulas would be: R / (A + R + E) * 100 and E / (A + R + E) * 100.

4) For some reason, MinePeon doesn't update its time automatically, even after about a half hour.  (This may be my fault, as I started updating and reinstalling all kinds of crap when I was attempting to fix #1, before I discovered the real fix.) I have to manually SSH in and run sudo /usr/bin/ntpd -s.  However, that causes either cgminer or the stats display on the Web to bug out; whichever it is, the hash rate starts showing as zero when the time changes.  So, I have to do a quick reset using #2 above.  This restores things to normal.  You could probably test this by starting MinePeon and letting it run for a few minutes, then ssh'ing in and using date to set the date 30 years into the future.
Activity: 294

I also received my new "USB 2.8" TFT LCD module LCD". I hope that one day, MinePeon will interact with this display. But with this comment, I'm NOT ASKING ANYTHING to Neil, or he will ban me for life.

I know absolutely zero about MinePeon, except that it runs an instance of cgminer in the background, I believe. If that's the true, and if the API is enabled on the cgminer instance, then my python script should work.

Sorry if I'm showing my naiveté here, I'm talking about things I don't know about...   Undecided
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not a big python fan either. lol! But I hacked together a little python script that displays a few basic cgminer stats. Sorta arbitrary choices based on what I though was most important to display and the limited space to display it.

If there is any interest, I'll clean it up and throw it up on github as an open source app. I do need to add code to display an error if all devices stop hashing. (I already show an error if cgminer doesn't respond "alive" on status, or if there's a network connection.) I know I overlooked it, but what gcminer API should I look at to find out if hashing devices have failed to stopped?

I'm including a screen shot of it running on my Pi mining with one Block Erupter. Let me know if anyone wants this up on github.

http://www.bizdistrict.com/post/lcd_and_pi.jpg
Hi cardcomm (again)
Could you post a link to what you've done please?
As I said, would be good to have anything useful showing on it rather than just the time Smiley
(Yes I will get to doing something about it soon ...)

Hi Kano,

Here's the link to to code on github:

https://github.com/cardcomm/cgminerLCDStats

Sorry for the delay. I got bogged down last night with some last minute changes adding some rounding code. I belatedly realized the display would get badly scrambled if the hash rate was too large. I'm still not sure how well it's going to display higher average hash rates - looking for your input on that one since I only have the one Block Erupter at the moment Smiley  haha

Also, I'm attempting to check for problems with cgminer, and display a warning screen. Right now I'm showing the error screen if I can't connect to the API, if cgminer isn't returning "Alive" in the STATUS call, or if the NOTIFY call is returning "Reason Not Well" other than none, or a "Last Not Well" code of non-zero. Is there anything else I should be checking?

Thanks for trying the code, looking forward to any feedback you have. Smiley
Activity: 302
Merit: 252
I try to run an avalon unit via minepeon, disconnected the internal USB from the wrt703 router and plugged it in the same hub as the USB-Miner but I won't regognize.. any ideas ?
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Are ฿itcoins Radioactive?
FYI my MinePeon miner died at 00:00 again last night.  I fixed it this morning by stopping and starting cgminer.

Unfortunately, same here. Last night 00:00, dead. Had to restart the pi this morning.
Please try to "kill a cat" and you'll see the problem is solved... But I can't do any more comments or I'm risking to be slapped again by Neil...

See my comment, regarding this problem, in this thread (and Neil's answer): https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2732667
Activity: 252
FYI my MinePeon miner died at 00:00 again last night.  I fixed it this morning by stopping and starting cgminer.

Unfortunately, same here. Last night 00:00, dead. Had to restart the pi this morning.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not a big python fan either. lol! But I hacked together a little python script that displays a few basic cgminer stats. Sorta arbitrary choices based on what I though was most important to display and the limited space to display it.

If there is any interest, I'll clean it up and throw it up on github as an open source app. I do need to add code to display an error if all devices stop hashing. (I already show an error if cgminer doesn't respond "alive" on status, or if there's a network connection.) I know I overlooked it, but what gcminer API should I look at to find out if hashing devices have failed to stopped?

I'm including a screen shot of it running on my Pi mining with one Block Erupter. Let me know if anyone wants this up on github.

http://www.bizdistrict.com/post/lcd_and_pi.jpg
Hi cardcomm (again)
Could you post a link to what you've done please?
As I said, would be good to have anything useful showing on it rather than just the time Smiley
(Yes I will get to doing something about it soon ...)
Activity: 714
Are ฿itcoins Radioactive?
Kano,

Did you get your LCD display yet? I just got mine yesterday, and already hacked up a quick script to display data from the cgminer API.

I was wondering if you completed your script yet, or have added support in cgminer? I'm sure it has more functionality than my simple attempt. lol

BTW, I got the LCD with the v1.3 firmware.  Unfortunately that version does not seem to allow absolute positioning on the display. I guess the v1.4 firmware model is the one to get, if it can be found.

As far as there being a standard interface for these type devices, I haven't seen one. It would be nice...
Yes I got it.
I then decided to try using my miner.php as an include so it would be a small amount of php code based on what is already done
I then found that php doesn't support direct usb (there is a git addon/project that has it, but I want to avoid adding external code)
I don't like python, so I stopped there, to wait til I have more time.
For now, it sits next to me running clock.py showing me the time Tongue
I am still running around in circles looking at these silly USB1.1 mining devices in cgminer, so the direct code will have to wait a little longer.

I also received my new "USB 2.8" TFT LCD module LCD". I hope that one day, MinePeon will interact with this display. But with this comment, I'm NOT ASKING ANYTHING to Neil, or he will ban me for life.

Activity: 32

Thanks for your replies,
sounds there is some trouble between free software developers and hardware companys.

BKK and Burnin will deliver their own cgminer driver. I believe cgminer have to be compiled with this drivers.
Obviously I over estimated the importance of these custom designs, so i thought there will be a newer MinePeon version with the special compiled
cgminer.

Greetings

P.s. Link for Burnins Bitburner:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/work-in-progess-burnins-avalon-chip-to-mining-board-service-179769
Activity: 574
Medical Translations for Bitcoins
More than likely raspbian's fault, arch (minepeon) seems to have solved some of the more esoteric usb problems
(like I can mine on my powered USB3 hub fine on arch)

Wait what? Which USB3 Hub exactly and what did you have to change in Minepeon (say 0.2.2) to make the hub work?
legendary
Yep post a link I'll even run it - the clock next to me is getting rather boring Tongue
Kano,

Did you get your LCD display yet? I just got mine yesterday, and already hacked up a quick script to display data from the cgminer API.

I was wondering if you completed your script yet, or have added support in cgminer? I'm sure it has more functionality than my simple attempt. lol

BTW, I got the LCD with the v1.3 firmware.  Unfortunately that version does not seem to allow absolute positioning on the display. I guess the v1.4 firmware model is the one to get, if it can be found.

As far as there being a standard interface for these type devices, I haven't seen one. It would be nice...
Yes I got it.
I then decided to try using my miner.php as an include so it would be a small amount of php code based on what is already done
I then found that php doesn't support direct usb (there is a git addon/project that has it, but I want to avoid adding external code)
I don't like python, so I stopped there, to wait til I have more time.
For now, it sits next to me running clock.py showing me the time Tongue
I am still running around in circles looking at these silly USB1.1 mining devices in cgminer, so the direct code will have to wait a little longer.

legendary
Hey,
at first thanks for your nice work!

Thanks, I enjoy doing it and I am glad you enjoy using it.

Will MinePeon work out of the box with Klondikes K16 and Burnins Bitburner?

Possibly (probably).  I believe they both use standard drivers that are already present in cgminer and bfgminer.

Neil

P.S. It is one of my pet peeves that mining hardware companies release these things and expect the developers to buy a device to build support for them.  At the very least they should be sending one to Con, Kano and Luke.
I think neither of them will work up front.
BKK has written a cgminer driver for the Klondike (and I have provided minor input into that) but I've no idea what's actually going to happen there with the actual hardware.

Bitburner? We've never heard anything from them.
If it is a pure Avalon clone, it may work.
But I've also got nothing to do with Avalon at all (ckolivas has one) so I can't say what will happen there.
(He had to pay for his Avalon ... 50BTC ... and since then the Avalon performance has gone from ~70GH/s to ~80GH/s thanks to him ...)

The problem is that a lot of people seem to think we ask for hardware with an agenda to simply be given stuff for free.
(The whole Me vs GitSyncom drama should have made that clear - "proper support" is provided by ckolivas - many months after they said they would provide it but never did)

When Klondike finally appears and people release them, the basic board is like ... 15GH/s?
So yeah I'm really gonna make a fortune from that in a month or two Tongue
Next week I'll have 130GH/s courtesy of the company that a lot of people hate Smiley (I already have 70)
So it sorta puts the whole "You only want a Klondike for free" into the realms of ... why should I have people abuse me for that ...

I sold an Icarus for $1800 back in Apr coz I had 2, I kept the 2nd one coz I need it to support cgminer.
I will keep the 'tiny' devices mining probably long after they cost more to run than they generate coz it means I can easily test changes on the hardware "We Support"

Yes it peeves me also Cheesy Cheesy

... and I will add of course what most know but never hurts to remind people, MineForeman.com paid and posted my RPi to me.
Thanks again Smiley

... and sorry to derail the thread ... yeah this is how I sometimes start a war around here ... but I don't think it will this time Smiley
Activity: 700
Merit: 504
Run a Bitcoin node.
Possibly related: I started having USB hub issues.

I am almost positive that your hubs will be the issue, it turns out that it was a hub that caused mine.
I agree.  Now that I'm avoiding the "blown" USB ports, and connecting less Erupters per hub, my hubs seem stable for now.  No issues last night.  I actually got up at midnight to watch it, to make sure everything went ok.  The changeover to donation time was very smooth.  Funnily enough, as I watched my rig mining for MineForeman I felt happy - glad to be donating a few hashes, and grateful for the excellent MinePeon that makes life as a miner so much easier.  

I will be replacing the hubs that have "blown" ports very soon.  I have decided to play it safe with hubs, and not risk overloading them.  I think Erupters actually use a little bit more than 500mA.  I was connecting 6 of them to a 3A hub, because 0.5A x 6 = 3A.  Problem is, I think the Erupters were drawing more than 3A at times... and hence blew my hubs.  So now I connect one less Erupter per hub than theoretically possible, to stay within the limits of the hub.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Hey,

Thanks, I enjoy doing it and I am glad you enjoy using it.

Possibly (probably).  I believe they both use standard drivers that are already present in cgminer and bfgminer.

Neil

P.S. It is one of my pet peeves that mining hardware companies release these things and expect the developers to buy a device to build support for them.  At the very least they should be sending one to Con, Kano and Luke.
Activity: 32
Hey,

Activity: 626
Mining since May 2011.
Does anyone know how many fpga/asic miners can MinePeon (or Raspberry Pi) support before CPU becomes a bottleneck?
Obviously depends on the devices and the pool protocol ...

BFL asics and stratum

I've had 8 SC and 2 FPGA on one Pi running MinePeon 0.2.2, it worked, only ran it for a day or so. I opted for one Pi per shelf in the rack so if I had a failure, I minimized the impact. Time is money, redundancy is king. Pi r cheap. (Or Pi r squared, whichever you prefer.  Grin)
donator
Activity: 1654
Merit: 1350
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
Does anyone know how many fpga/asic miners can MinePeon (or Raspberry Pi) support before CPU becomes a bottleneck?

BFL asics and stratum
legendary
Jump to: