Pages:
Author

Topic: LIST: How to evaluate ICO opportunities - page 3. (Read 1066 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 4
Digital nomad reporting from the cryptosphere
January 27, 2018, 06:12:23 PM
Let me shake your hand, you're awesome! Let's call it "Colwell test" Cool

Great job mate, very helpful list. I really don't know what to add, but I have many questions.

Please explain, what do you mean by questions:
  • Who will support the token?
  • What are the possibilities past the first use case?
  • Is it impossible to substitute the use of the token for another? It's always possible to switch the project to another blockchain by issuing the same amount of tokens.
  • How will the team continue to communicate their progress?
  • What is the team's timescale for implementing their proposals? I understand the question, but I don't see how to interpret the answer. Let's say, it's around 7 years. Is it good or bad? What if it's about 1 year?
  • What rights does the token provide the investor? — which options are available on the market today?
  • Is there a Reddit community? — why it's crucial? what if it's Telegram public chat and a blog on Medium only?
  • How often has the project been mentioned in the press? — any numbers to compare?
  • In what jurisdiction is the company incorporated? — what if Estonia? What if Singapore? What if Russia? What if some offshore islands? What if Switzerland or Luxembourg?
  • What legal structures are being disclosed? — which should be disclosed in case of a perfectly organised ICO?

Also I think it would be better to use "Yes, No, Not Available format". For example, the question "Does the project benefit from being on the blockchain? Should it be on the blockchain?" can be modified in a more specific and simple way "Blockchain is necessary to run the project or not?".

The answer to the question "What blockchain is it running on?" is often will be "Ethereum". How should we consider it? As good, bad, or just normal? I think this question also needs to be improved. How about "Is it running on the fastest of existing blockchains?"

The question "Can the team be found on LinkedIn and Github?" represents 2 questions actually.

The question "Has the founding team demonstrated the characteristics (inclusive, transparent, objective, etc.) necessary to build a healthy community?" is actually at least 3 questions according to "inclusive, transparent, objective". What other characteristics are necessary to build a healthy community?

The same about "How are developers compensated? By donation? Or some formal commitment?". Any other ways of compensation are being used during tokensales?

What should I do with the numbers of tokens are being created and circulating supply? are there any guidelines for these numbers?

What is price per token? — the same. What if it's below 10 US cents? what if it's around $1? what if $10?

Many thanks again!

Thanks SO much! I am looking at your post now and wishing I could work on THE LIST this very moment. I'll be back... hopefully later today. Lots to think about here.  THE LIST is ready for it's next big level-up.

Many gratitudes flying your way...

Crypto-Kristen

LOL... the Colwell Test... my husband Brian will be interested in this concept.  Grin Grin Grin
Activity: 294
Merit: 15
January 27, 2018, 05:11:10 PM
Let me shake your hand, you're awesome! Let's call it "Colwell test" Cool

Great job mate, very helpful list. I really don't know what to add, but I have many questions.

Please explain, what do you mean by questions:
  • Who will support the token?
  • What are the possibilities past the first use case?
  • Is it impossible to substitute the use of the token for another? It's always possible to switch the project to another blockchain by issuing the same amount of tokens.
  • How will the team continue to communicate their progress?
  • What is the team's timescale for implementing their proposals? I understand the question, but I don't see how to interpret the answer. Let's say, it's around 7 years. Is it good or bad? What if it's about 1 year?
  • What rights does the token provide the investor? — which options are available on the market today?
  • Is there a Reddit community? — why it's crucial? what if it's Telegram public chat and a blog on Medium only?
  • How often has the project been mentioned in the press? — any numbers to compare?
  • In what jurisdiction is the company incorporated? — what if Estonia? What if Singapore? What if Russia? What if some offshore islands? What if Switzerland or Luxembourg?
  • What legal structures are being disclosed? — which should be disclosed in case of a perfectly organised ICO?

Also I think it would be better to use "Yes, No, Not Available format". For example, the question "Does the project benefit from being on the blockchain? Should it be on the blockchain?" can be modified in a more specific and simple way "Blockchain is necessary to run the project or not?".

The answer to the question "What blockchain is it running on?" is often will be "Ethereum". How should we consider it? As good, bad, or just normal? I think this question also needs to be improved. How about "Is it running on the fastest of existing blockchains?"

The question "Can the team be found on LinkedIn and Github?" represents 2 questions actually.

The question "Has the founding team demonstrated the characteristics (inclusive, transparent, objective, etc.) necessary to build a healthy community?" is actually at least 3 questions according to "inclusive, transparent, objective". What other characteristics are necessary to build a healthy community?

The same about "How are developers compensated? By donation? Or some formal commitment?". Any other ways of compensation are being used during tokensales?

What should I do with the numbers of tokens are being created and circulating supply? are there any guidelines for these numbers?

What is price per token? — the same. What if it's below 10 US cents? what if it's around $1? what if $10?

Many thanks again!

January 27, 2018, 12:44:22 PM
FYI, just fired up this new topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2833296.new#new

I'll develop a list of definitions in tandem with this list of evaluation poits. Does that make sense to everyone? :-)

Grin Grin Grin

Crypto-Kristen
January 27, 2018, 12:26:20 PM
January 27, 2018, 12:25:14 PM
Shout out to crypto-aficionado CryptoBulldog. I hope you'll join us on this BitcoinTalk thread!

I've been chatting with CryptoBulldog on Twitter this morning. Lots of great info. Check out the Bulldog's list and our convo here: https://twitter.com/CryptoBulld0g/status/956878022421950464

As always, I will bring any new info back to THE LIST. :-)

January 27, 2018, 11:25:09 AM
This ICO evaluation methodology by ICORating is nicely outlined. 
https://icorating.com/methodology/

I'm especially interested in their hype-score and the description of quantitative vs. qualitative factors.

Any other pieces of this jump out as concepts I need to include in THE LIST?

Thanks!
Crypto-Kristen  Cool
Beside of qulitative factors i usually talk with team members. If the team does not believe the project and cannot understand the cons and problems i stay away from them.
you will spot the Well driven ponzi schemes like bitconnect with talking to the team.

Intriguing!!! You talk with the team member. I love it.  Grin

Can you give us a little detail about your process? Do you reach out to team members via LinkedIn? Do you find that team members are generally responsive? If not responsive, is that a sign?

Looking forward to your response,

Crypto-Kristen
January 27, 2018, 11:22:19 AM
HI?
Of cource evaluating ICO You need to look at the code

@coinlawyer, can you give us detail? What exactly do you look for in the code?

Best,

Crypto-Kristen
Activity: 621
Merit: 288
WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN
January 27, 2018, 11:19:52 AM
This ICO evaluation methodology by ICORating is nicely outlined. 
https://icorating.com/methodology/

I'm especially interested in their hype-score and the description of quantitative vs. qualitative factors.

Any other pieces of this jump out as concepts I need to include in THE LIST?

Thanks!
Crypto-Kristen  Cool
Beside of qulitative factors i usually talk with team members. If the team does not believe the project and cannot understand the cons and problems i stay away from them.
you will spot the Well driven ponzi schemes like bitconnect with talking to the team.
January 27, 2018, 11:11:12 AM
WARNING

This is a NO-SHILL zone. We are not talking about individual ICOs, we are talking about concepts and analytical strategies for evaluating ICOs.

Please keep your spam to yourself. :-)

Thank you!

Crypto-Kristen
January 27, 2018, 11:07:09 AM
Step 10: If it has the name Polymath, stay away!

That is a good one. I would also say "stay away if the name of the coin is Bitcoin + a colour, Ethereum + a colour, Bitcoin + anything in general, etc... " I am sure you get the idea.

Yes. Those flags would pop up with the criteria certainly but a shortcut is just looking for those combinations. I thought it'd be obvious to most but for some it may not be so thanks.

Also, see if the website is mining from your browser. I've noted this on a few icos recently.

Let's take an example.

Open your task manager on your computer.

Click the Processes tab and monitor the % of CPU being used for a second or so. What percentage is it hovering around?
Mines typically between 14-17% (can spike to 30%, rarely 40-50% but it is possible, would only happen for a moment however).

Now, when you go to ICO site that is using in-broswer mining (likely Monero) that CPU % will spike up in seconds. No way am I investing in an ICO that's slyly stealing my CPU resources. Why would I trust them? Just completely dodgy.

Here's an example which I took from: https://coincodex.com/article/1198/top-5-icos-of-early-2018/ - the spam link someone just posted.

I googled the 'Scorum' ICO (last on the top 5 list) and went to their site for their token sale.

Here's the url:

https://scorumcoins.com/

Have to wait for a few seconds for the webpage to load and then, BOOM! CPU spike + fan will probably start going like crazy also. Yup. Mining from your browser. Want to make sure there's not an error with your browser? Close the tab, watch the spike disappear. Double-check with different browser just to be sure (Chrome + IE I checked with) and voila. Pure scam Scorumcoins is - might as well be called Scrotumcoins, about as attractive as one. Stay away (but quickly do the demonstration for yourself to spot this red flag in the future) Smiley

Shocked ShockedWOW!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Still digesting this piece of info. I knew there were malware and CPU-jacking issues in the cryptosphere, but had not connected the dots between that behavior and ICO investing. With more newbies like myself stepping into the arena, scammers are banking on the fact that most are completely unaware of the risks.

So, @MichaelMeu, is there a question or series of questions I can add to get this point across? I hate to keep talking about identifying scams.... BUT wonder if there is a new section dedicated to "Is this a Scam" and points such as this would go there...

Thoughts?

Huh
Crypto-Kristen
January 27, 2018, 11:01:38 AM
Step 10: If it has the name Polymath, stay away!

That is a good one. I would also say "stay away if the name of the coin is Bitcoin + a colour, Ethereum + a colour, Bitcoin + anything in general, etc... " I am sure you get the idea.

LOL-ing so hard right now.  Grin At first I thought @whofeelsitknowsit was messing with us with that Polymath comment. Now, I'm thinking we might be on to something tangible.

Does the branding/messaging fall in the "sounds too good to be true" category?

Curious to hear other thoughts on this... not adding anything to THE LIST yet, but we might actually have something here...

Thank you!

Crypto-Kristen
January 27, 2018, 10:57:36 AM
"How many tokens are being created?
What is price per token?"

Add maybe: what is the marketcap of the ICO at the moment. + How big could it rise?

Thank you for the input! Can you expand on the "marketcap of the ICO at the moment + How big could it rise?" Newbie here, so excuse a potentially goofy question....

How do you define marketcap? Especially for ICOs in which the token has not even been created yet as of the Pre-Sale. Really want to understand this point. Your help is appreciated!

Huh Huh Huh
Crypto-Kristen
January 27, 2018, 10:53:55 AM

V. close:

"Are token burn actions and bounties paid according to sold tokens or according to the token reserve regardless of how many tokens were sold?"

@MichaelMeu,

I added this, but am intrigued... my newbie-ness is showing.  Tongue

Can you explain the impact to the investor if burn action and bounties are not paid according to sold tokens? If burned/bounty paid according to token reserve regardless of tokens sold, does that mean that a disproportionate share of funds are going to non-investors? Did I get that right?

Thank you!

Crypto-Kristen

January 27, 2018, 10:45:55 AM

Just add regarding Bitcointalk: Is there any evidence of posts being deleted? Investigate if anyone is claiming so? Are the opinions of seasoned members being shouted down? E.g If there is 4 members with 200+ posts calling the ico suspicious and 20 members with between 1-28 posts calling the project legit, I'd be valuing the opinions of the former, not the latter.

BAM! Added to Marketing & PR section. Great feedback, thank you.

Grin
Crypto-Kristen
January 27, 2018, 10:40:05 AM
Huh

Riddle me this....

What is your BIGGEST ICO investment DEAL-BREAKER?

Interested!

Crypto-Kristen

I really couldn't settle on on so I thought I'd go for this.

The thing I'm most excited about for an ICO - if it's an infrastructure project. Look at NEO, look at QTUM, look at IOTA (not shilling, I have 0 bags in any of those).

Deal breakers - in order of importance:
#1 Is the team anonymous (the irony as we still don't know who satoshi is...) ? If so, no go
#2 Is there a whitepaper? If not, you know the answer.
#3 Does the project have a functional use with little/no competition?
#4 Does that project have a functioning prototype? No proto, no invest.
#5 Is their roadmap detailed and, just as important, realistic?
#6 Does it have a reasonable hardcap (<$50m)? Tick
#7 Is there an individual limit on how many tokens people can buy? Massive tick, (minimises the likelihood of whales forming, and if they do, they can only form post-ICO after you've invested and the coin is listed on exchanges which means you are in the money.
#8 Are bonus token offerings to the likes of pre-sale investors and even public sale ones capped at 25% of their total buy? Huge tick (Stops whales dumping short term but if there's enough longevity in project (12 months + hold) then this can be handled with bonus sales of up to 40%).

Totally not the answer you were looking for but just my thoughts.

Love the detail! Thank you.

I imagine there is some variety in what ICO investors would say is the biggest deal-breaker, but bet most or all responses would fall into your responses above... SO, is it possible to develop a sub-LIST of DEAL-BREAKERS? Or would this be taking things a bit too far?

Curious... Roll Eyes

Crypto-Kristen
January 27, 2018, 10:36:07 AM
I only analyze ico well by looking at the team and its advisors, in what areas of the project and looking at the roadmap. with the information you share is very useful to me

Can you share any details about how you assess the advisors? THE LIST is still pretty surface-level in this area.  Cry

Thank you!

Crypto-Kristen
Activity: 71
Merit: 0
January 26, 2018, 09:58:58 PM
Hi all,

I'll be working on THE LIST again later tonight. Lots of great feedback to incorporate from this thread! Super stoked.

Also, @Cryptobulld0g shared this list on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CryptoBulld0g/status/956878022421950464
I'm planning to integrate the concepts here as well.

Lots of work to do...

Kiss Kiss Kiss

Crypto-Kristen

What a woman. Thanks Kristen!
January 26, 2018, 06:26:47 PM
HI?
Of cource evaluating ICO You need to look at the code, but if that’s not you, you can start with the white paper.
But that’s a lot of reading, start with typos.
Here is the article about it https://zengineeringpodcast.com/ruling-out-the-scams-smart-contracts-whitepapers-and-evaluating-an-ico-43821502a9ae

We're more here trying to provide criteria with which to evaluate ICOs rather than being solely focused on spotting scam ICOs. Scam ICOs should be relatively easy to spot - should be, not necessarily always however. Many ICOs will fail though - not because they're scams but simply because they don't have enough of a USP or enough technical expertise or good enough advisers. Hence the importance of DYOR!

Identifying scams is a low bar. Legitimacy is always a factor, but we'd like to dive deeper.

Thanks @MichaelMeu!
January 26, 2018, 06:25:02 PM
Hi all,

I'll be working on THE LIST again later tonight. Lots of great feedback to incorporate from this thread! Super stoked.

Also, @Cryptobulld0g shared this list on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CryptoBulld0g/status/956878022421950464
I'm planning to integrate the concepts here as well.

Lots of work to do...

Kiss Kiss Kiss

Crypto-Kristen

Activity: 71
Merit: 0
January 25, 2018, 05:34:46 PM
Project and team is very important. ICO with realistic project and trusted team. Bobrepair is one of the great ICO. It is supported by John Mc Cafee and the project is skill market. it is very rasional to be applied.

We've said what feels like a 1000x now, this is no thread for shilling. take your unwanted shilling elsewhere
Pages:
Jump to: