Pages:
Author

Topic: LIST: How to evaluate ICO opportunities - page 9. (Read 1066 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 4
Digital nomad reporting from the cryptosphere
January 16, 2018, 06:53:34 PM
Are these two sections actually the same thing??? Should I combine them into one section "Minimum Viable Product"?

3b. (Functioning) Prototype: how strong is the prototype?
Is there a working prototype code working on a testnet?
Do they have prototype code at all (even if its not currently executed)?
Does the code have commentary?
Does the commentary explain clearly the purpose of the function?
Are the functions a reasonable length? i.e. are they less than 50 lines?

4. Minimum Viable Product: how solid is the product?
Is there a working prototype?
Is the product's technical specification thorough and does it demonstrate mastery of the subject matter?
Are there people out there who want and need this product right now?
Does the product benefit from network effects?
Activity: 139
Merit: 100
January 16, 2018, 06:49:38 PM
Activity: 294
Merit: 10
January 16, 2018, 06:46:32 PM
Step 10: If it has the name Polymath, stay away!
Activity: 230
Merit: 14
January 16, 2018, 06:45:56 PM
Hi all,

I'm working this list of factors to consider when evaluating an ICO for investment. This is a LIVING LIST, and I'm seeking input so that I can create a public checklist of sorts. Share your thoughts!

I'll constantly update the questions on this list based on new information. Ultimately, we should be able to evaluate an ICO opportunity by working through the checklist. See the end of the list for sources...there will be many in addition to the feedback I get here.

Thanks for the list. One of the factors that we have to start to consider within the team and advisers is previous performance, not only of the ICO or the token, but about their honesty towards investors. We need to defend our investments naming when something goes wrong.
January 16, 2018, 06:43:41 PM
This ICO evaluation methodology by ICORating is nicely outlined. 
https://icorating.com/methodology/

I'm especially interested in their hype-score and the description of quantitative vs. qualitative factors.

Any other pieces of this jump out as concepts I need to include in THE LIST?

Thanks!
Crypto-Kristen  Cool
January 16, 2018, 06:32:12 PM
Thank you MichaelMeu  Smiley

Something felt a bit off, so thanks for the details. Updating the list now. Greatly appreciate your input.

See you later!

Kristen
Activity: 71
Merit: 0
January 16, 2018, 06:19:18 PM
Help! I like this excerpt from CryptoPotato's "10 keys for evaluating Initial Coin Offering (ICO) investments" but want to turn it into a series of questions. Anyone able to assist?

Source: https://cryptopotato.com/10-keys-evaluating-initial-coin-offering-ico-investments/
9 – Quality of the code – Meet Githhub
If you have a little bit of programming experience, you should be using it here. The quality of a developer can be understood by analyzing some of their code. As a non-techie, it is still possible to evaluate their quality by looking at the consistency of the code. Another good indicator, is the usage of proper commenting. Avoid messy developers. A piece of code reflects the attitude of a developer.

Next, the length of a function is another indicator. A function containing more than 50 lines of code should raise a red flag. Modularity is important and makes the code more readable and maintainable.

Crypto projects tend to have open-source code. This creates trust among the project’s community, encouraging devs from the community to make suggestions or improvements. An open-source project provides the opportunity to look at the commit logs. A commit is essentially developer slang for pushing a piece of code to the Github code repository.

Thanks in advance,

Crypto-Kristen  Wink

And regarding the questions, how about (in order of importance - 1. most, 4. least):

1. Does the code have commentary?
2. Does the commentary explain clearly the purpose of the function?
3. Are the functions a reasonable length? i.e. are they less than 50 lines?
4. How frequent are commit logs? - I would personally leave this one out however. There's an excellent comment in the article left by someone explaining why commits aren't necessarily all that important (if I recall from memory correctly, don't have it to hand atm).

Awesome, thank you. I updated the list. Put these questions under "Technology"... do you agree? Is that the best section?

Best,

Crypto-Kristen  Kiss

Personally, I think technology is too broad a category for this. For me technology would be asking things like 'What blockchain is it running on? Are they developing their own infrastructure instead? If so, why? What is the need of developing their own infrastructure (in other words, why would they not just run off ETH's smart contracts and create and ERC-20 token etc)? Possibly the top most important question is: what type of technology is it? DApp? Infrastructure? Currency?

I would have a sub-section in technology - (Functioning)Prototype -> is there a working prototype code working on a testnet? Do they have prototype code at all (even if its not currently executed)? Then here you code have the questions about the code (in another subsection e.g Technology -> Prototype -> Code)??

In the end its your thread but I'm happy to throw my ideas out. I'll respond back to this tomorrow as I'm off for the day. Good luck!
January 16, 2018, 05:54:43 PM
Help! I like this excerpt from CryptoPotato's "10 keys for evaluating Initial Coin Offering (ICO) investments" but want to turn it into a series of questions. Anyone able to assist?

Source: https://cryptopotato.com/10-keys-evaluating-initial-coin-offering-ico-investments/
If you have a little bit of programming experience, you should be using it here. The quality of a developer can be understood by analyzing some of their code. As a non-techie, it is still possible to evaluate their quality by looking at the consistency of the code. Another good indicator, is the usage of proper commenting. Avoid messy developers. A piece of code reflects the attitude of a developer.

Next, the length of a function is another indicator. A function containing more than 50 lines of code should raise a red flag. Modularity is important and makes the code more readable and maintainable.

Crypto projects tend to have open-source code. This creates trust among the project’s community, encouraging devs from the community to make suggestions or improvements. An open-source project provides the opportunity to look at the commit logs. A commit is essentially developer slang for pushing a piece of code to the Github code repository.

Thanks in advance,

Crypto-Kristen  Wink

And regarding the questions, how about (in order of importance - 1. most, 4. least):

4. How frequent are commit logs? - I would personally leave this one out however. There's an excellent comment in the article left by someone explaining why commits aren't necessarily all that important (if I recall from memory correctly, don't have it to hand atm).

Awesome, thank you. I updated the list. Put these questions under "Technology"... do you agree? Is that the best section?

Best,

Crypto-Kristen  Kiss
January 16, 2018, 05:48:17 PM

Thanks in advance,

Crypto-Kristen  Wink

January 16, 2018, 05:39:01 PM

Thanks in advance,

Crypto-Kristen  Wink

This is an excellent thread. I've been doing much research into this also. I found this rather obscure review guide by a cryptoentusiast - his criteria is laid out in the ICO review as he doesn't have a ICO guide itself. I'm in no way shilling the ICO he's writing about, just showing the criteria. Google searching for keywords like 'scam' etc that he mentions is a decent idea:

https://angeloncrypto.com/ico-reviews-gatcoin-fe5e55108012
January 16, 2018, 05:33:40 PM

Thanks in advance,

Crypto-Kristen  Wink
January 16, 2018, 05:23:40 PM
Feel free to suggest a resource!

Here are the sources currently reflected in the list:
1. "Our Process for Evaluating New Tokens" by Nick Tomaino https://thecontrol.co/our-process-for-evaluating-new-tokens-4627ed97f500
2.  "Scrap the White Paper: How to Evaluate Tokens and Blockchains" by Coindesk https://www.coindesk.com/scrap-white-paper-evaluate-tokens-blockchains/
3. "How to Evaluate an Initial Coin Offering" by Strategic Coin http://strategiccoin.com/evaluate-initial-coin-offering/
4. "Due Diligence: How to Evaluate an ICO" by Cryptos R Us https://cryptosrus.com/due-diligence-how-to-evaluate-an-ico-initial-coin-offering/
5. "Due Diligence: How to Evaluate an ICO Investment" by Bitcoin Market Journal https://www.bitcoinmarketjournal.com/ico-due-diligence/
6. "10 Steps for Evaluating Digital Asset Crowdsales" by  Token Market https://tokenmarket.net/blog/how-to-invest-to-ico-and-blockchain-tokens/
7. "10 keys for evaluating Initial Coin Offering (ICO) investments" by CryptoPotato https://cryptopotato.com/10-keys-evaluating-initial-coin-offering-ico-investments/

One list to rule them all!

Kiss
Crypto-Kristen
January 16, 2018, 04:28:37 PM
Hi all,

Just updated THE LIST - see the first entry on this topic.

May I have your input on the questions currently included on the list?
  • Are the questions in the correct (most appropriate) sections?
  • Are the questions phrased correctly?
  • Are the questions arranged in a natural order?

And AS ALWAYS, please share all feedback. :-)

Best,

Crypto-Kristen  Kiss Kiss Kiss
January 14, 2018, 03:37:12 PM
Just made another update to the list in the first post.

Added questions from this article (more to come):

"Our Process for Evaluating New Tokens"
https://thecontrol.co/our-process-for-evaluating-new-tokens-4627ed97f500

Kiss
Crypto-Kristen
January 14, 2018, 03:14:32 PM
Hi all,

Starting to build out the questions now. Please refer to the first entry, I will keep updating it as this list takes shape.

Just added some questions from this Coindesk article: https://www.coindesk.com/scrap-white-paper-evaluate-tokens-blockchains/

Please share your thoughts!

Crypto-Kristen  Kiss
January 14, 2018, 02:30:05 PM
Hello thepo1m,

Thank you for joining the conversation! Objectivity is the foundation of this list.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to enter facts into the checklist to help formulate an opinion based on data (as much as possible, some information is anecdotal). This list would also help isolate areas of strength/weakness to direct further investigation.

Best,

Kristen

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
January 14, 2018, 02:20:59 PM
Hi all,

I'm working on a list of factors to consider when evaluating an ICO for investment. This is a start, but I'm seeking input so that I can create a public checklist of sorts. Share your thoughts!

Here are the sections I plan to build out so far. I am going to build a list of action items/questions for each of these sections. We could then evaluate an ICO opportunity by working through the checklist.

One list to rule them all!!!

SO, first step is to get our sections down. Am I missing a section??? What do you think of the order? I put them in this order intentionally.

Evaluating ICO Opportunities

1. Token Purpose: what need does the token address?
2. Competitive Analysis: is this unique in some way?
3. Technology: what is the tech?
4. Minimum Viable Product: how solid is the product?
5. Team: who's running the show?
6. Advisors: who are the big guns? (mentors and advisors)
7. Roadmap: where do they plan to go?
8. Hype: what are people saying about the ICO? (ratings + community + PR)
9. Coin Offering Structure: can I make money?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Crypto-Kristen   Kiss

I think most of the index you picked is what most of these people that rate ICOs use, but I will like to see your methodology you want to adopt, because this is the most important thing for me to see the objectivity of your analysis
January 14, 2018, 02:17:43 PM
I would add one more step for advisers between 5 and 6. It says a lot if project has real and known advisers who are familiar with the field and who could help the team on a way of their idea implementation. It usually decreases chances of being scammed for investors if there are at least few authoritative people who stand behind the project. Of course that's the case if not just only their photos are placed on the project's website but they really support the project.

Great point. I updated the post accordingly.

You also gave good details for the questions within that section. I'll begin posting those parts of the checklist once we have a better feeling that the sections are comprehensive. Make sense?

One list to rule them all!!!
Activity: 157
Merit: 13
January 14, 2018, 02:12:45 PM
I would add one more step for advisers between 5 and 6. It says a lot if project has real and known advisers who are familiar with the field and who could help the team on a way of their idea implementation. It usually decreases chances of being scammed for investors if there are at least few authoritative people who stand behind the project. Of course that's the case if not just only their photos are placed on the project's website but they really support the project.
January 14, 2018, 02:07:14 PM
thanks op for this topic, i have been looking for how to analyse ICO with potentials because most ICOs now are just meaningless

Yep. And although there are many articles out about evaluating ICOs, I want a comprehensive list.

The below articles are helpful. I'm incorporating info from these and other sources to build the MASTER list. LOL One list to rule them all!!!

"DUE DILIGENCE: HOW TO EVALUATE AN ICO (INITIAL COIN OFFERING)" https://cryptosrus.com/due-diligence-how-to-evaluate-an-ico-initial-coin-offering/

"3 Ways to Evaluate an ICO" http://strategiccoin.com/3-ways-evaluate-ico/

Pages:
Jump to: