Pages:
Author

Topic: LIST: How to evaluate ICO opportunities - page 7. (Read 1066 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 4
Digital nomad reporting from the cryptosphere
January 18, 2018, 09:43:05 PM
January 18, 2018, 09:05:10 PM
Wow...great feedback from @MichaelMeu, thank you! THE LIST is looking sharp.

Also, re: the hype section. Note that the response to each question is not necessarily positive/negative, just facts... so a lack of hype despite positive factors in other areas would not strike an ICO from consideration. BUT if other factors are also problematic, then non-existant or negative hype can make an impact of the ultimate success of the ICO.

Wink Wink Wink
Crypto-Kristen

January 18, 2018, 08:33:42 PM
This is a great list man, I can't see much else to add to it. I will be forwarding people to this thread in the future!

Unless I'm mistaken, Crypto-Kristen is a woman, considering the effort she's went to for this list you could at least secify her gender right, would be a nice token of appreciation Smiley

Hey, MichaelMeu...

THANK YOU  Grin
January 18, 2018, 08:32:00 PM
for me i have always use to go on hunch and of curse on some researches like the whitepaper and the background of the dev team and olso the traction that ico has made among the crypto community on different channels such as telegram and reddit etc...

I think people tend to over-think with their gut. This list is , at least from what I've seen on the net, the best way to counter this. Don't become emotionally invested in coins, judge only by reason and the rest will come. Not to say that every ico has all this information available to be evaluated, but this list's more of an 'ideal' scenario list. And if you can't find all the information from the prospective ico's website or whitepaper, communicate with the devs and ask them to find it out (if at all possible and, if it isn't, then that's information in itself) (Y)

YES! We are on the same page. I don't expect to locate an exact answer to each question for every ICO researched. But I expect to find "blank spots" that warrant more attention based on how easy/difficult it is to find answers and how my gut feels about those answers.

-Crypto-K  Roll Eyes
January 18, 2018, 08:27:20 PM
Are these two sections actually the same thing??? Should I combine them into one section "Minimum Viable Product"?

3b. (Functioning) Prototype: how strong is the prototype?
Is there a working prototype code working on a testnet?
Do they have prototype code at all (even if its not currently executed)?
Does the code have commentary?
Does the commentary explain clearly the purpose of the function?
Are the functions a reasonable length? i.e. are they less than 50 lines?

4. Minimum Viable Product: how solid is the product?
Is there a working prototype?
Is the product's technical specification thorough and does it demonstrate mastery of the subject matter?
Are there people out there who want and need this product right now?
Does the product benefit from network effects?

Yeah I would combine these sections personally. Incorporate 4 into 3 imo; I would title 3b 'Minimum Viable Product: how solid is the product', followed by 'Is there a working prototype?', put the current content of 3b after that, then complete the section with 'Is the product's technical specification thorough and does it demonstrate mastery of the subject matter?
Does the product benefit from network effects?'

Yes, totes agree. I'll work on this change. It's not live yet.

Crypto-K
January 18, 2018, 08:25:42 PM
Thank you, that's a very comprehensive list.
For dummies that want a shortcut to that, simply go to the ICO bench and see what reviews does the ICO have, those reviews are from blockchain expert. Smiley

Ha! I thought the same thing before putting this list together. However, I've seen evidence of ratings manipulation on ICO Bench, so not a fan of relying on it too much. I'm a fan of unbiased data... or at least as unbiased as possible.  Cheesy

Thanks for your support,

Crypto-Kristen  Kiss
January 18, 2018, 08:09:50 PM
Thank you a lot for this list. It is a good start to evaluate if an ICO is worth to invest or not. I think this really helps especially newcomers and beginners to check if an ICO is legit or just scam. Hopefully it will help to prevent scamming from this forum. Everyone good luck with your ICO choices.

All the best,

Peterparker9191

Glad to hear you find it helpful! IMHO, The cure for scam fears is information from reliable sources.  Wink

Best,

Crypto-Kristen
January 18, 2018, 08:07:43 PM
different token might have with same or similar service as developer to works on manage with customs of details with strategy as lying with the whitepaper for investors to sees as decision to put of parts with investment unit with the projects.

Huh Huh ???Please rephrase, I'm confused.

Thank you!

Crypto-Kristen
January 18, 2018, 08:04:34 PM
I want to add about point 5 (team)
It is good team if they participated in many blockchain event or seminar. It is a prove that they are serious team to run ICO and without intention to scam people.

Great suggestion. I added this "Have any members of the founding team participated in blockchain and/or cryptocurrency industry events?" Thoughts on the wording?

Thanks,

Crypto-Kristen  Kiss
Activity: 71
Merit: 0
January 18, 2018, 06:26:34 PM
This is a great list man, I can't see much else to add to it. I will be forwarding people to this thread in the future!

Unless I'm mistaken, Crypto-Kristen is a woman, considering the effort she's went to for this list you could at least secify her gender right, would be a nice token of appreciation Smiley
January 18, 2018, 06:12:28 PM
So just looking at the list, where how would you rate a project like Polymath?? Platform for launching security token projects. Recently partnered with Overstock as well. https://polymath.network/

This feels like subtle shilling tbh. We're not here to evaluate icos. We've not even finished sorting and organising the list yet so please refrain from posting things like this. Perhaps there is potential in the future for those of us who are keen to invest in icos to create a private group and take a 'divide and conquer' approach to rooting out the chaff from the wheat. I'll communicate with CryptoKirstie with it in the coming days. But this is just an idea I've had there and nothing is in place at the minute so please don't hold your breath. Equally, I (personally) wouldn't want passengers who are wanting to just piggyback off the (many of hours of) work of those who are willing to researching icos to discover the most viable projects.

Please no one else post icos to review, we are creating a guide here, not a research unit.
January 18, 2018, 05:59:36 PM
for me i have always use to go on hunch and of curse on some researches like the whitepaper and the background of the dev team and olso the traction that ico has made among the crypto community on different channels such as telegram and reddit etc...

I think people tend to over-think with their gut. This list is , at least from what I've seen on the net, the best way to counter this. Don't become emotionally invested in coins, judge only by reason and the rest will come. Not to say that every ico has all this information available to be evaluated, but this list's more of an 'ideal' scenario list. And if you can't find all the information from the prospective ico's website or whitepaper, communicate with the devs and ask them to find it out (if at all possible and, if it isn't, then that's information in itself) (Y)
Activity: 207
Merit: 100
January 18, 2018, 05:49:58 PM
So just looking at the list, where how would you rate a project like Polymath?? Platform for launching security token projects. Recently partnered with Overstock as well. https://polymath.network/
January 18, 2018, 05:40:13 PM
Huh Huh Huh SEEKING INPUT  Huh Huh Huh

May I have your input on the order of the sections, the titles of the sections, and the brief description next to each section title.

Here are the current sections:

1. Token Purpose: what need does the token address?

2. Competitive Analysis (SWOT): is this unique in some way?

3a. Technology: what is the tech?

5. Team: who's running the show?

6. Advisors: who are the big guns? (mentors and advisors)

7. Roadmap: where do they plan to go?

8. Hype: what are people saying about the ICO? (ratings + community + PR)

9. Token Offering Structure: can I make money?

Thank you!

Crypto-Kristen  Kiss

I think the titles are by and large pretty good. I'd update the numbers to reflect my previous comment. Couple of things I'd change personally.
Roadmap - What is the team's timescale for implementing their proposals? How detailed is it? And how realistic is their vision?
I'd have in the roadmap section at the end - is token distribution linked to roadmap? This can be seen as a good indicator of a solid project. IF it begins with a reasonable low market cap, and the amount of tokens which are tied up in development team whose distribution is linked to the team meeting their roadmap goals, then this can be interpreted as a good sign of a promising ico.

Consequently I'd then put the 'Token Offering Structure' - section after the roadmap section as those two would link in nicely together. I'd change the title of the token offering structure - can I make money? Seems a little bit flippant imo, for me ico investing is medium-long-term investing. Sure you could make profits in the short term but if you've done your research on icos properly, then the medium-long term potential is so much greater than the short-term potential that it'd be silly to sell in the short term.

So I'd actually call it 'Token Offering Structure: How likely am I to get burned?' . Emphasises to everyone that investing in icos is inherently risky, and the best we can do is reduce this risk as much as possible (such as spotting red flags e.g. devs holding too many tokens etc. (=>50%)).

Oh and the hype section, I like it. Although I spotted on one ico site that some of the most successful icos were the ones with the least amount of hype. Just a thought Smiley
January 18, 2018, 05:25:26 PM
Huh Huh Huh SEEKING INPUT  Huh Huh Huh

May I have your input on the order of the sections, the titles of the sections, and the brief description next to each section title.

Here are the current sections:

1. Token Purpose: what need does the token address?

2. Competitive Analysis (SWOT): is this unique in some way?

3a. Technology: what is the tech?

5. Team: who's running the show?

6. Advisors: who are the big guns? (mentors and advisors)

7. Roadmap: where do they plan to go?

8. Hype: what are people saying about the ICO? (ratings + community + PR)

9. Token Offering Structure: can I make money?

Thank you!

Crypto-Kristen  Kiss

I think the titles are by and large pretty good. I'd update the numbers to reflect my previous comment. Couple of things I'd change personally.
Roadmap - What is the team's timescale for implementing their proposals? How detailed is it? And how realistic is their vision?
I'd have in the roadmap section at the end - is token distribution linked to roadmap? This can be seen as a good indicator of a solid project. IF it begins with a reasonable low market cap, and the amount of tokens which are tied up in development team whose distribution is linked to the team meeting their roadmap goals, then this can be interpreted as a good sign of a promising ico.

Consequently I'd then put the 'Token Offering Structure' - section after the roadmap section as those two would link in nicely together. I'd change the title of the token offering structure - can I make money? Seems a little bit flippant imo, for me ico investing is medium-long-term investing. Sure you could make profits in the short term but if you've done your research on icos properly, then the medium-long term potential is so much greater than the short-term potential that it'd be silly to sell in the short term.

So I'd actually call it 'Token Offering Structure: How likely am I to get burned?' . Emphasises to everyone that investing in icos is inherently risky, and the best we can do is reduce this risk as much as possible (such as spotting red flags e.g. devs holding too many tokens etc. (=>50%)).
Activity: 58
January 18, 2018, 05:07:18 PM
I really appreciate your effort on this as this is a wide opener on ICO with basic lesson and knowledge on it.
It is a guide for all new entry and beginners.

Thank you
Activity: 504
Merit: 251
January 18, 2018, 05:05:33 PM
January 18, 2018, 05:05:29 PM
Are these two sections actually the same thing??? Should I combine them into one section "Minimum Viable Product"?

Is there a working prototype code working on a testnet?
Do they have prototype code at all (even if its not currently executed)?
Does the code have commentary?
Does the commentary explain clearly the purpose of the function?
Are the functions a reasonable length? i.e. are they less than 50 lines?

Is there a working prototype?
Is the product's technical specification thorough and does it demonstrate mastery of the subject matter?
Does the product benefit from network effects?

Yeah I would combine these sections personally. Incorporate 4 into 3 imo; I would title 3b 'Minimum Viable Product: how solid is the product', followed by 'Is there a working prototype?', put the current content of 3b after that, then complete the section with 'Is the product's technical specification thorough and does it demonstrate mastery of the subject matter?
Does the product benefit from network effects?'
Activity: 504
Merit: 251
January 18, 2018, 04:58:13 PM
thank  you very much for such a valuable thread such as this one really sometimes we have doubt to choose an ico to invest in with increasing waves of upcoming icos which makes such threads  really important.
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
January 18, 2018, 04:56:22 PM
Thank you, that's a very comprehensive list.
For dummies that want a shortcut to that, simply go to the ICO bench and see what reviews does the ICO have, those reviews are from blockchain expert. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: