Pages:
Author

Topic: [LIST] Open Source Hardware Wallets - page 4. (Read 2621 times)

nvK
Activity: 381
Merit: 259
September 26, 2021, 04:21:54 PM
That's incorrect, I seeded the donations and the bounty was paid to the first submission Achow101. That website is open to anyone to submit, I wish more people cared and donated to pay bounties.
First archived version of your website shows a different story, and first ''donation'' was from Coinkite (Coinkite = Coldcard = nkv), only later you added one for Achow, but I guess you can time travel:
http://web.archive.org/web/20210916165204/https://bitcoinbinary.org/

The commit history is public on github, first CK donated, then achow was paid the bounty. I don't understand what's your problem here. The site is new and was continually updated.

Code has always been viewable and buildable. Repro builds started a few versions ago, not since the begining.
So Coldcard was never open source and it never changed a license?
I think LICENSE is more important part of the question that I was asking, like topic subject is, not if wallet really is reproducible or not.

Also all public https://github.com/Coldcard/firmware/blob/master/LICENSE

Also incorrect, COLDCARD only shared one crypto library with Trezor which we were contributors. That library was since replaced with Core's Libsecp256k1, far superior.
Before so much negativity, maybe do a bit of research Smiley
I was asking a question, so I don't know how I could be wrong about that.
Maybe you should have a bit less pride and arrogance, but that is just my opinion :/

Ok Smiley

I followed this story from the beginning and I did my research (maybe I made some mistakes), but thanks for your kind replies  Smiley

PS
ColdCard License:
https://github.com/Coldcard/firmware/blob/master/LICENSE

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
September 26, 2021, 03:03:11 PM
That's incorrect, I seeded the donations and the bounty was paid to the first submission Achow101. That website is open to anyone to submit, I wish more people cared and donated to pay bounties.
First archived version of your website shows a different story, and first ''donation'' was from Coinkite (Coinkite = Coldcard = nkv), only later you added one for Achow, but I guess you can time travel:
http://web.archive.org/web/20210916165204/https://bitcoinbinary.org/

Code has always been viewable and buildable. Repro builds started a few versions ago, not since the begining.
So Coldcard was never open source and it never changed a license?
I think LICENSE is more important part of the question that I was asking, like topic subject is, not if wallet really is reproducible or not.

Also incorrect, COLDCARD only shared one crypto library with Trezor which we were contributors. That library was since replaced with Core's Libsecp256k1, far superior.
I was asking a question, so I don't know how I could be wrong about that.
Maybe you should have a bit less pride and arrogance, but that is just my opinion :/

I followed this story from the beginning and I did my research (maybe I made some mistakes), but thanks for your kind replies  Smiley

PS
ColdCard License:
https://github.com/Coldcard/firmware/blob/master/LICENSE
nvK
September 26, 2021, 02:46:29 PM
1. That's incorrect, I seeded the donations and the bounty was paid to the first submission Achow101. That website is open to anyone to submit, I wish more people cared and donated to pay bounties.
2. Code has always been viewable and buildable. Repro builds started a few versions ago, not since the begining.
3. Also incorrect, COLDCARD only shared one crypto library with Trezor which we were contributors. That library was since replaced with Core's Libsecp256k1, far superior.

legendary
Cashback 15%
September 26, 2021, 09:01:39 AM
COLDCARD code can definitely be reproducible see here https://bitcoinbinary.org/
Maybe it is reproducible now, but I wrote that post in August and I think that you released your website one month later, after you donated yourself for creating it.
We talked more about that subject in different topic, and I have to say that you made terribly bad selfish move when you changed and removed Open Source license from Coldcard.
Is your code 100% made by you or you used code parts from other open source hardware wallets like Trezor?

Domain Name: BITCOINBINARY.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D402200000017725626-LROR
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.name.com
Registrar URL: http://www.name.com
Updated Date: 2021-09-02T12:14:21Z
Creation Date: 2021-09-02T12:14:13Z
nvK
September 25, 2021, 04:29:11 PM
Latest updates and changes to the list of open source hardware wallets:

- Coldcard hardware wallet removed because code is not Open Source anymore, but MIT+CC license and it can't be reproduced anymore.
- Added separate list of DIY Open Source Hardware wallets for advanced users.
- Opolo hardware wallet added, but code is still not released and can't be confirmed on github.

COLDCARD code can definitely be reproducible see here https://bitcoinbinary.org/
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
September 10, 2021, 06:31:22 PM
My suggestion that you should first make a post explaining what happened with Cobo wallet, your team and new brand
I'm really very confused right now. I was recently looking up the Cobo Vault again and saw they switched brand to Keystone a while ago.
Now, Cobo says it stops supporting the Vault - but why don't all Cobo Vaults just continue working and continue being supported under Keystone?
Is there any difference between Keystone Vault and Cobo Vault at all?
I hope these questions will be answered in a new topic by Lixin.

Edit: I think everything is answered in: Hey bitcoiners if you are interested in the rebrand from Cobo to Keystone...
legendary
Cashback 15%
September 09, 2021, 03:00:42 AM
I am new here. Should I apply for opening a new topic (or maybe an AMA?) to answer people's questions about the rebrand?
(I don't want to break any rules here.)
Hi Lixin and welcome!
This is general topic for all open source wallets.
My suggestion that you should first make a post explaining what happened with Cobo wallet, your team and new brand you started in old Cobo topic:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-cobo-vault-second-generation-launch-qr-code-air-gapped-hardware-wallets-5244214
Than you should create new ANN topic for Keystone hardware wallet, post some information, links and images (maybe you will need copper membership or more posts for doing that)
Hardware wallets section is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=261.0

I think you proved a connection with your twitter account making your previous post, so only thing left is to read bitcointalk forum rules and you are good to go:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/unofficial-list-of-official-bitcointalkorg-rules-guidelines-faq-703657
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10143
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
September 08, 2021, 11:57:32 PM
As for LixinLiu and all the rest, if you look at the tweets from cobo and on the article I linked it does not mention him. So, look at it as someone who bought this product and got the shutting down info and has seen no other communication from the company.
LixinLiu was lead developer who worked for Cobo before, but when they decided to ditch their hardware wallet, he separated with his team, purchased license from Cobo and created new brand and company called Keystone.
They made some improvement changes in QR codes, changed place for entering SD card, code is the same like in Cobo but it will change in future.
It is a a good idea suggesting him to create new topic with support here in bitcointalk forum.

I got a call last night, did a quick (wrong) search and followed the few links that cobo provided and sow nothing.
Wait, so you actually own a Cobo hardware wallet?
I remember they offered some devices for free or with discount few years ago in forum.

Hey I am Lixin. One of our users shared me the link of this post in our Telegram group which guided me here.

Thanks for your explanation for what happened.

I am new here. Should I apply for opening a new topic (or maybe an AMA?) to answer people's questions about the rebrand?

Welcome to the forum.

As a courtesy to this thread and the thread users, you should probably start a new topic - especially since this topic is about a variety of open source wallets rather than just your own wallet, and presumably you are going to want to both promote your own product and to make comparison and contrasts that revolve somewhat around your own product rather than openly exploring various open source wallets, which seems to have been the intent of this here thread.

And for sure, you could put a link to your new thread here.  Of course some people are going to want to know that you are not a fake (which I see you made a subsequent post to attempt to address that), so you might need to provide some information to verify your representative status.  

For sure, if you start a thread, you would likely be posting some links to overall introduction topics, and of course if specific questions are being raised in this thread they could either be answered here or in your thread (in which you would probably redirect people to the specific answers or the status of certain matters that might not have answers at the moment).

In your new thread, you may also want to provide some links to some podcasts because I believe I have heard interviews from you or someone else from your company/project at more than one time on some podcasts.  I cannot remember which ones, but you probably know about those more specifically - or if you believe any of the interview(s) might be helpful.
Activity: 13
Merit: 23
September 08, 2021, 11:47:33 PM
As for LixinLiu and all the rest, if you look at the tweets from cobo and on the article I linked it does not mention him. So, look at it as someone who bought this product and got the shutting down info and has seen no other communication from the company.
LixinLiu was lead developer who worked for Cobo before, but when they decided to ditch their hardware wallet, he separated with his team, purchased license from Cobo and created new brand and company called Keystone.
They made some improvement changes in QR codes, changed place for entering SD card, code is the same like in Cobo but it will change in future.
It is a a good idea suggesting him to create new topic with support here in bitcointalk forum.

I got a call last night, did a quick (wrong) search and followed the few links that cobo provided and sow nothing.
I remember they offered some devices for free or with discount few years ago in forum.

Hey I am Lixin. One of our users shared me the link of this post in our Telegram group which guided me here.

Thanks for your explanation for what happened.

legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 08, 2021, 10:34:18 AM

No, a consultant that I deal with a lot has one. But, since I am the go-to guy for crypto stuff, he saw the tweet that they were shutting down and gave me a call.
Which does bring up the point, that they had his email and did not even contact him. Not a great way to do business.

-Dave
legendary
Cashback 15%
September 08, 2021, 08:34:23 AM

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 08, 2021, 07:49:17 AM
Cobo Vault is shutting down next week.

Nice to give your users an entire 8 days before shutting down your back end.
I wrote about this news few months ago (June) in their topic and everyone was aware that something like this was coming.

Not everyone, someone not on the forum asked me about a tweet they saw about it, which is why I posed here.

I did a quick google search for wallet not vault (so that's on me):

Code:
cobo wallet site:bitcointalk.org

The 1st 3 or 4 results were all to the altcoin sections. So I thought (incorrectly) that there was no dedicated post in the HW wallets section.
Their topic has fallen to the 2nd page so even a quick look did not show it on the hardware wallets page.

At that point I figured a post on this thread was worth it.

Their wallet is open source, so there is nothing hidden and anyone can check the code, plus their developer LixinLiu is very active and trying to help everyone.
I am not trying to justify anyone, Cobo made a bad decision Wink

Did not mean bad as in going to steal your BTC, but bad as in "whoops that little bit of code does not work the way it was supposed to" and you now have a device that is not doing what you want. The same way any piece of unsupported hardware can have issues that will not be resolved.

Just what happened.

My Opinion: If keystone / LixinLiu want to keep going they really should be posting here about it in a new topic.

-Dave

legendary
Cashback 15%
September 08, 2021, 03:53:16 AM

I wrote about this news few months ago (June) in their topic and everyone was aware that something like this was coming.

Cobo / keystone should still work but no more updates.
I would not use Cobo anymore that needs to be connected with their custodial wallet, but you can buy new Keystone device with 50% discount if own old Cobo device (Keystone essential with discount would be around $60, and Keystone Pro around $85).
Keystone is working with most software wallets like Electrum, and you can use spare parts and batteries from old Cobo device.

But, I would still not use it anymore, you never know what could be lurking somewhere in bad code.
Their wallet is open source, so there is nothing hidden and anyone can check the code, plus their developer LixinLiu is very active and trying to help everyone.
I am not trying to justify anyone, Cobo made a bad decision Wink
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 07, 2021, 08:10:10 PM

https://support.cobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407973083287-Cobo-Vault-Offline-Notice

Cobo / keystone should still work but no more updates.
But, I would still not use it anymore, you never know what could be lurking somewhere in bad code.

-Dave

legendary
Cashback 15%
September 05, 2021, 08:08:43 AM
In the meantime, I'd like to read more reviews of some of the most popular models from this list, not just the simple listings of technical specs. You might have some resources on the subject in your bookmarks archive. Feel free to share any.
I am not going to provide any reviews here because I didn't personally test all of those hardware wallets, and all other reviews are either paid bias or shilling of their own products.
Do your own research and listen opinions and feedback from several people both positive and negative.
My personal choice would probably be Swiss made Bitbox hardware wallet, it is open source, has secure element and it survived years of testing.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 915
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
September 04, 2021, 03:39:17 PM
dkbit98, thank you for putting this list together. I understand now why open source is imperative for hardware wallets.
In the meantime, I'd like to read more reviews of some of the most popular models from this list, not just the simple listings of technical specs. You might have some resources on the subject in your bookmarks archive. Feel free to share any.
legendary
Cashback 15%
August 31, 2021, 01:44:23 AM
Latest updates and changes to the list of open source hardware wallets:

- Coldcard hardware wallet removed because code is not Open Source anymore, but MIT+CC license and it can't be reproduced anymore.
- Added separate list of DIY Open Source Hardware wallets for advanced users.
- Opolo hardware wallet added, but code is still not released and can't be confirmed on github.

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
August 15, 2021, 04:29:13 AM
Is there any page with instructions for dummies for making Satochip DIY wallet and loading code on card?
I think what you are looking for can be found on this page. Scroll down to the bottom where they talk about creating your own Satochip hardware wallet. They posted links to the required chips, the files that you need to upload on the chip card, and how to download and configure the various Satochip clients.
legendary
Cashback 15%
August 13, 2021, 08:13:50 AM
You can also DIY your own Satochip hardware wallet.
We do sell blank javacard that are compatible with our Satochip Applet.
Interesting, I didn't know that and I think that €25 it is a reasonable price, but I think that you would need to buy a card reader if you don't have one already, and that is plus €15.
Is there any page with instructions for dummies for making Satochip DIY wallet and loading code on card?
Activity: 302
Merit: 140
Hardware and open source software solutions.
August 13, 2021, 07:43:55 AM
Hello,

You can also DIY your own Satochip hardware wallet.
We do sell blank javacard that are compatible with our Satochip Applet.

It's quite easy to make your own hardware wallet :
- Grab a card here : https://satochip.io/product/satochip-diy-and-developer-card/
- Load the code here : https://github.com/Toporin/SatochipApplet/releases

Et voilà Wink
Pages:
Jump to: