Pages:
Author

Topic: [LIST] Open Source Hardware Wallets - page 2. (Read 2621 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 634
Magic
November 27, 2022, 11:36:52 AM
New device is added to the list of open source hardware wallet and it is called Cypherock X1.
If you are interested in testing this device you can purchase it right now with Black Friday discount for around $100 plus shipping.
This hardware wallet is working in unique way and in package you receive one X1 wallet and four X1 Cards.
Cypherock code is available on github for inspection and iut was audited by Keylabs:
https://github.com/Cypherock

Very weird hardware wallet if you ask me, since it depends on a splitted seed that is only stored at four cards. If you need to set up a new hardware wallet you can not put on the seed in just any device but you have to hope that they are still on the market in that moment. Also you are lost if the card is not readable anymore in maybe 20+ years.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 6871
November 25, 2022, 03:17:08 PM
New device is added to the list of open source hardware wallet and it is called Cypherock X1.
If you are interested in testing this device you can purchase it right now with Black Friday discount for around $100 plus shipping.
This hardware wallet is working in unique way and in package you receive one X1 wallet and four X1 Cards.
Cypherock code is available on github for inspection and iut was audited by Keylabs:
https://github.com/Cypherock
Merit: 5808
not your keys, not your coins!
July 09, 2022, 07:05:25 PM
Bitbox is collaborative with authorities
Collaborative in what way? Are they collecting, storing, and sharing user data with government agencies upon request? I am sure they all do that. Companies (crypto-related or not) have to respect local laws and regulations and aren't exempt from them. Maybe you are talking about the Address Ownership Protocol (AOPP) they support when you said they collaborate with the government. 

Of course i was talking about AOPP, "someone" just misundertsand it on purpouse to primping among us...
For the companies... they can decide to be not collaborative expecially if they are multinational and have a multisite branch in different countries...
For what it's worth, by helping implement AOPP they actually helped their probably largest userbase (Swiss users) do something they would otherwise need to do anyway, quicker. Swiss Bitcoin services require the users to sign a message with the private key of their withdrawal address to prove ownership of that address. Without AOPP, they would've needed to do it manually, with AOPP it can be done automatically by the wallet software. More on AOPP here.

btw, thanks a lot for your help.... definetley i wil made my own research... elsewhere
Don't be mad; it's just that this forum is by far the biggest pool of good Bitcoin information, and your questions were answered before. I recommend to use this site for quickly and easily searching on BitcoinTalk:
https://ninjastic.space/search

i have prepared a fully a complete answer to your allegations, then I thought that since I already have white hair it made no sense to argue with disrespectful kids. I simply put you on "ignore" so don't bother to answer any more. thanks
This forum does require a little bit of a thick skin sometimes, though it should be noted dkbit98 never insulted you.

Q: Someone insulted me. Why aren't you deleting his post/thread?
A: Possible (since we don't have the time or resources to check) insults are also allowed as long as they contain any kind of constructive opinion, info or something else substantial and aren't off-topic. For example, posting something like "you are dumb" will be deleted as it contains no meaningful content. However, if the post is somewhere along the lines of "You are dumb. This is wrong because this website/thread/etc. has explained it's not right", it's in most cases accepted.

Anyhow; let's stay on topic.. Smiley Looking forward to those new wallets. I would love to see more airgapped stuff!
legendary
July 09, 2022, 04:01:29 PM
i have prepared a fully a complete answer to your allegations, then I thought that since I already have white hair it made no sense to argue with disrespectful kids. I simply put you on "ignore" so don't bother to answer any more. thanks
Sorry if you think this way, but I never argued with you and I don't think I was disrespectful in any way, but maybe you forgot to drink your medications.
This is my topic about Open Source Hardware Wallets, not about me giving advices what you should or shouldn't buy with your own money.
And yes the rumors are true, I am very young kid, that is why I always use year of my birth for creating accounts, and I use 1234 for all my passwords  Cheesy

Back on topic, there are few new hardware wallets ready to be added on this list, but I am waiting for the official release and updates.

Activity: 4
Merit: 2
July 09, 2022, 05:14:37 AM
Collaborative in what way? Are they collecting, storing, and sharing user data with government agencies upon request? I am sure they all do that. Companies (crypto-related or not) have to respect local laws and regulations and aren't exempt from them. Maybe you are talking about the Address Ownership Protocol (AOPP) they support when you said they collaborate with the government.  

Of course i was talking about AOPP, "someone" just misundertsand it on purpouse to primping among us...
For the companies... they can decide to be not collaborative expecially if they are multinational and have a multisite branch in different countries...

btw, thanks a lot for your help.... definetley i wil made my own research... elsewhere

Trezor is not open source, until they build a property chip
Trezor IS fully open source, it doesn't have secure element yet, but it works just fine and can be used with passphrase.
Bitbox is NOT collaborative with authorities, and I never said that, it's fork of Trezor wallet with secure chip integration.
I don't like satodime so much, but you can do your own research and don't ask same questions multiple times.

what about satodime? considering that i don't like the card reader but it seems not strictly necessary if using NFC
Dude I am not your babysitter so do as you want with your money... you are not purchasing rocket to Mars, and I don't like repeating myself Tongue

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 7007
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
July 09, 2022, 04:16:28 AM
legendary
July 08, 2022, 07:17:36 AM
Trezor IS fully open source, it doesn't have secure element yet, but it works just fine and can be used with passphrase.
Bitbox is NOT collaborative with authorities, and I never said that, it's fork of Trezor wallet with secure chip integration.
I don't like satodime so much, but you can do your own research and don't ask same questions multiple times.

what about satodime? considering that i don't like the card reader but it seems not strictly necessary if using NFC
Dude I am not your babysitter so do as you want with your money... you are not purchasing rocket to Mars, and I don't like repeating myself Tongue
July 08, 2022, 06:18:48 AM
I was referring to your post here.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/secure-element-in-hardware-wallets-5304483

in the table it says that it is open source.
Hmmm yeah I see what you are referring to :/
This was probably my mistake with table information and I corrected it now.
According to Tangem sources I found, only app and NFC communication protocol are open source, everything else including firmware is closed source.

the alternative for me was satochip, but i saw that tangem has a lot more coins available and moreover doesn't need any card reader
You don't really need to have support for lot of coins because most of them wont exist in few years.
Best comment I saw about this is like you are using highly secure vault for storing bunch of bananas aka shitcoins, they will all be rotten soon enough.

i'm not considering keystone and hypermate due to the price and One key is available only in the mini version at the moment and is outdated according your table.
I would say that Bitbox, Keystone and Trezor are your the best choices for hardware wallets in 2022, that is if you want to have support for Bitcoin and other altcoins.
Everything else is not recommended by me, but you can do whatever you want with your money.

According what you said,
keystone seems to be the the only alternative, but cost more than 100€ and needs battery

July 06, 2022, 07:39:05 PM
[...]
i'm not considering keystone and hypermate due to the price and One key is available only in the mini version at the moment and is outdated according your table.
I would say that Bitbox, Keystone and Trezor are your the best choices for hardware wallets in 2022, that is if you want to have support for Bitcoin and other altcoins.
Everything else is not recommended by me, but you can do whatever you want with your money.
I guess KeepKey could also be an alternative; as far as I know it's basically a Trezor clone in a different case.
legendary
July 06, 2022, 09:07:44 AM

Hmmm yeah I see what you are referring to :/
This was probably my mistake with table information and I corrected it now.
According to Tangem sources I found, only app and NFC communication protocol are open source, everything else including firmware is closed source.

the alternative for me was satochip, but i saw that tangem has a lot more coins available and moreover doesn't need any card reader
You don't really need to have support for lot of coins because most of them wont exist in few years.
Best comment I saw about this is like you are using highly secure vault for storing bunch of bananas aka shitcoins, they will all be rotten soon enough.

July 06, 2022, 05:30:32 AM
just considering to buy Tangem, but i saw that is not very popular here despite has all the specs considered safe as open source, EAL6+ etc...
guessing why
In case you didn't saw or read correctly, I created the this topic for list of Open Source wallets, and I am not talking about applications but about device firmware.
If you have more information that Tangem released their firmware as open source please post them here.
Until then I am not going to recommend anyone Tangem devices.

Tangem is a crypto card, so it's not a hardware wallet.
Tangem has crypto cards, but they also have hardware wallets that look like cards, but it's true they are all closed source devices.

so i'm open to advices
legendary
June 22, 2022, 09:56:23 AM
just considering to buy Tangem, but i saw that is not very popular here despite has all the specs considered safe as open source, EAL6+ etc...
guessing why
In case you didn't saw or read correctly, I created the this topic for list of Open Source wallets, and I am not talking about applications but about device firmware.
If you have more information that Tangem released their firmware as open source please post them here.
Until then I am not going to recommend anyone Tangem devices.

Tangem has crypto cards, but they also have hardware wallets that look like cards, but it's true they are all closed source devices.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 7007
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
June 22, 2022, 07:25:24 AM
hello,

guessing why

The Tangem is closed-source as far as I know. The product uses an open-source secure element according to dkbit98's description in Secure Element in Hardware Wallets.
However, the Android and iOS apps are closed-source according to Wallet Scrutiny:
https://walletscrutiny.com/iphone/com.tangem.Tangem/
https://walletscrutiny.com/android/com.tangem.wallet/
June 22, 2022, 06:57:39 AM
hello,

guessing why
May 13, 2022, 06:53:28 AM
The latter was critiqued in the past though; since they are sponsored by CoinKite, they claimed ColdCard to be reproducible, while the more neutral walletscrutiny website claimed this to be false. Not sure how it played out in the end, though.
This two website obviously have slightly different definitions and interpretations for what reproducable code really means.
There shouldn't be any confusion, to be honest; it's a pretty straightforward concept: 'Does the GitHub release, when compiled, match the exact same binary you're giving your customers to download, or not?'.
I don't think there's much room for interpretation, because it's a yes or no answer which simply asks whether the binaries do match or whether they don't.
legendary
May 13, 2022, 06:47:29 AM
The latter was critiqued in the past though; since they are sponsored by CoinKite, they claimed ColdCard to be reproducible, while the more neutral walletscrutiny website claimed this to be false. Not sure how it played out in the end, though.
This two website obviously have slightly different definitions and interpretations for what reproducable code really means, and it's true that Bitcoinbinary is owned by Coldcard aka NVK.
Let's not forget that ColdCard was misleading their customers for a long time claiming they are open source, but they recently changed that description on their website to Verifiable Source Code.
That is not open source so I don't have ColdCard on my list, but I do consider it better than ledger, safepal and other closed source stuff.

May 12, 2022, 10:14:08 PM
However I think it would make sense to add a 'reproducibility' label. An open, auditable source doesn't help if the wallet doesn't actually run it. Even if it runs a slightly modified firmware, those modifications could easily have been put in to deanonymize users. It also doesn't allow you to verify if a reseller / middleman replaced the firmware, for instance, which can be a big security risk.
Can you personally verify if code for all this wallets is reproducible or not, and do this with each new release?
I've thought about making a list of a few wallets and periodically try to reproduce the latest builds myself; not sure if I can find the time for it, though.

I can't do that for sure, but I understand what you are trying to say and it's not a bad suggestion Cheesy
All we can do is check out websites like Walletscrutiny.com and Bitcoinbinary.org and see if developers checked latest firmware release and if they can be reproduced.
According to Walletscrutiny wesbite, only Trezor, Passport, Keepkey and Krux DIY hardware wallet firmware can be reproduced, and someone on Bitcoinbinary website reproduced firmware for Trezor, Bitbox and Coldcard wallets.
I updated this information in first post.
Yes, I actually thought at first to just add such a 'reproducibility label' simply based on data from walletscrutiny and maybe bitcoinbinary; as you correctly stated they both test firmwares from time to time.

legendary
May 12, 2022, 01:58:32 PM
However I think it would make sense to add a 'reproducibility' label. An open, auditable source doesn't help if the wallet doesn't actually run it. Even if it runs a slightly modified firmware, those modifications could easily have been put in to deanonymize users. It also doesn't allow you to verify if a reseller / middleman replaced the firmware, for instance, which can be a big security risk.
Can you personally verify if code for all this wallets is reproducible or not, and do this with each new release?
I can't do that for sure, but I understand what you are trying to say and it's not a bad suggestion Cheesy
All we can do is check out websites like Walletscrutiny.com and Bitcoinbinary.org and see if developers checked latest firmware release and if they can be reproduced.
According to Walletscrutiny wesbite, only Trezor, Passport, Keepkey and Krux DIY hardware wallet firmware can be reproduced, and someone on Bitcoinbinary website reproduced firmware for Trezor, Bitbox and Coldcard wallets.
I updated this information in first post.
May 11, 2022, 02:34:00 PM
List of Open Source hardware wallets is updated, cleaned and I made few changes.

I recently found out that Bitlox hardware wallet released their code as open source for everyone to check, and it was even more surprising to see they updated firmware recently.
I was not able to find Bitlox device available for purchase because they are sold out, but making it open source is good news for old owners, and it's possible they will have devices available in future again.
They even have their own open source Bitlox explorer that is forked from insight.is explorer.

Hardware wallets removed from this list are Opolo and Keypal because they never released any code publicly, so I am considering they are not open source.

I added new certification symbol C for hardware wallets certified by OSHWA (currently that is Trezor and Passport).
Thanks for putting in the work to keep this thread constantly keeping this updated; it's one of the few threads I regularly go back to and link to people looking for hardware wallets. I believe open-source is an absolute must, otherwise you're trusting your money to an intransparent system; the very problem Bitcoin aims to solve.

legendary
May 11, 2022, 12:58:35 PM
List of Open Source hardware wallets is updated, cleaned and I made few changes.

I recently found out that Bitlox hardware wallet released their code as open source for everyone to check, and it was even more surprising to see they updated firmware recently.
I was not able to find Bitlox device available for purchase because they are sold out, but making it open source is good news for old owners, and it's possible they will have devices available in future again.
They even have their own open source Bitlox explorer that is forked from insight.is explorer.

Hardware wallets removed from this list are Opolo and Keypal because they never released any code publicly, so I am considering they are not open source.

I added new certification symbol C for hardware wallets certified by OSHWA (currently that is Trezor and Passport).

Pages:
Jump to: