Pages:
Author

Topic: Looking for system integrators for new asic - page 2. (Read 21920 times)

Activity: 471
Merit: 256
OP seems legit-.

**This is a speculation post, NOT a scam accusation post. Shit, even the word scam is way overused and misused in this forum.**

I can also write a very professional post like that. The question is:
Did anyone contact him representing potential system integrators? No one has said anything one way or the other. So either no one has or there is some kind of NDA on even mentioning you talked to him? What's really going on here?

Posting on the Bitcoin forum is odd for a company looking for systems integrators for their chips. But not entirely unlikely. I see 3 possibilities:

1. Everything is as helveticoin says. This would be very interesting and certainly change things regarding miners who have pre-purchased ASICs from other companies. Even with them onboard, I expect to be able to make 0.1BTC/day with a 60GH/s unit by the end of the year. They claim a lot of PH/s but I can't see there being enough orders for them in the volume they can produce right off the bat. I do expect them to start a slow network increase past the initial spike. But they seem to be hoping to get the chips off their hands quickly so... (speculation time)
What I get from the first post is that this is a group of people who abused their control over the 28nm wafers from GF while working at ST Microelectronics to design and produce bitcoin ASICs. They have now left the company and brought the "stolen" chips with them. They are now forming a new one: A company who wants to sell the chips they got while working there to people who will do the systems integration and resale. In other words, they want to get rid of the chips relatively quickly and make money on it. I think they will try to get rid of their stock and produce nothing past that.

2. Someone was bored and can actually speak English properly and be professional.

3. This is a well thought out and long term scam that will start with initial rumours mainly brought on by this thread, further developments and lead to multiple fully-believable companies selling fake ASICs by June. I guess it is a good idea because they can claim they don't need pre-orders here but when it comes down to it, they can have the other fake reseller companies be the ones to ask for preorders.

Questions:

MLM is advertised as a cost-saving measure so why is helveticoin claiming this will increase their costs?
MLM saves mask costs ("mask" is done already) but increases chip costs.

Why did they come to bitcointalk?

Has anyone actually discussed being a systems integrator with them from this forum?

Has anyone sent any "serious inquiries" by email as helveticoin asked and received a response?

So now we wait until May.
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
OP seems legit-.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
Any info yet as to the "official" announcements?
Activity: 499
Merit: 500
"Our currently unnamed bitcoin mining chip taped out last October; we (ab)used spare estate on our 28nm SOI MLM test wafers we were
running at ST Microelectronics. Several successful wafer test runs have been conducted since, and as a result, we currently have a limited
number of functional chips that can be supplied for testing and validation."

You posted no proof whatsoever. Yet another manufacturer without smartphone or camera?

Number of scammers on this forum is staggering.

They've asked nobody for money as far as I can tell.  I think your trigger finger is a little itchy there fella.
Activity: 130
As for the performance estimates; we wanted to remain tight lipped about this to not steal our partners thunder, but since they actually press us to get some more info out, I will give you some. Our design contains 64 SHA256 engines (at least 60 are expected to be operational in each chip). Maximum clock frequency of our samples, depending on voltage, ranges between 1 and >2 GHz. Power consumption per chip is in the 5-15W range.

Couple questions, if you will.
Does each engine produce one Bitcoin double SHA2 hash per clock cycle?

Also, have any of your first round partners met with you in person and seen a live demonstration of your hardware?

Our first partner has had a working prototype for almost as long as we have. The second prospective partner only has documentation atm, we have not signed with them yet.

And yes, one dual iterated hash per clock.

How many gates did you used to create each double sha core?
Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
After seeing both Avalon and BFL's power consumption, I strongly doubt the claim of 60GH/15W for 28nm process, seems even 30W is a best case scenario
Activity: 162
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

Will be watching this career with great interest!

[subbed]
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
Great news. Plz keep this thread up to date. I would like to get one when its ready. The tinier the better!
Activity: 196
Assuming SHA256 engine computes a single sha256 function

No, it does a double hash.

I still don't understand Your statement about the high chip costs. You don't want to create a real mask set for the chip and continue with the MLM-MPW mask? I don't think this is a good strategy. By the time the chips enter the market the price per chip will be probably in the order of $2 per GH/s => $60-120 for Your chips. If You get only few chips per wafer this price would be too low. I would invest in a full mask especially since these chips will survive on the market much longer than the competing chips.

You are incorrectly assuming the production wafers would contain only a small number of bitcoin asics. They will contain only bitcoin chips, using the same mask, but shielding everything we dont need.

When you say it does a 'double hash'
1. Does it do a double hash and compare, or just a double hash....
2. Are the I/O pins parallel or Serial.
Activity: 868
Just a question to OP: Do you follow the general consensus of bitcoin community that do not let any single entity acquire more than 10% of the total hash power of the network?

They're wholesaling chips.  How on earth can they control how much hashing power an end user acquires?  Even if individual vendors limit the amount of hashing power they'll sell to a customer, people can order from multiple vendors and they can acquire additional units on the secondary market. 
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
Just a question to OP: Do you follow the general consensus of bitcoin community that do not let any single entity acquire more than 10% of the total hash power of the network?
Activity: 189
What the hack, I'll just have to wait for an open source diagram and for chips to show up in catalog. Same as it went with the fpga systems.

BTW, I have contacted them, no answer, same as with primeasic.

The reason I ask every time for a diagram is simple, diagram without chips is useless yet it is proof that the company is serious. Until someone provides an independent confirmation of a working device or a diagram scheme, that company should be treated as irrelevant to the market.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Where's the pc board diagram scheme?

You should probably read the thread instead of skimming it looking for PCB pics.

I read it, I can't start manufacturing process of pc boards using their new chips without a diagram.

You should probably read the thread.

If you are interested in partnering with us, contact me helveticoin at gmail dot com and please provide some information to help us judge your ability to integrate our chip in a consumer product. Large scale mining operations are also welcome to inquire, but do realize you will face non trivial technical challenges and costs to develop a functional miner,  and we will require minimum quantities. Technical and financial details will be provided under NDA only.

You should probably read the thread instead of skimming it looking for PCB pics.

I read it, I can't start manufacturing process of pc boards using their new chips without a diagram.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
We are quite aware of our actual competition (Butterflylabs, Avalon,..) , but we are unfamiliar with the companies behind some other recent announcements that are suspected hoaxes. Many people asked us if we had any relation with them, I just wanted to make clear that we do not know them and they are not using our chips.
I would encourage You to consider talking to BFL also (in addition to Avalon). It is not in my interest but the BTC community invested in the BFL project millions of USD. It would be a shame if this goes up in smoke as bASIC did.

It would also be a shame if the emergence of a new player in the ASIC market doesn't lead to more competition and more vendors to choose from.  This is a golden opportunity for vendors to emerge who have short order to delivery times and for the now ridiculous never-ending pre-order saga to die a far overdue death.  It would be a shame if it's squandered on merely reinforcing the status quo.

+1

IOW it'd be nice if we could bring a bit of professionalism into the market.
Activity: 868
We are quite aware of our actual competition (Butterflylabs, Avalon,..) , but we are unfamiliar with the companies behind some other recent announcements that are suspected hoaxes. Many people asked us if we had any relation with them, I just wanted to make clear that we do not know them and they are not using our chips.
I would encourage You to consider talking to BFL also (in addition to Avalon). It is not in my interest but the BTC community invested in the BFL project millions of USD. It would be a shame if this goes up in smoke as bASIC did.

It would also be a shame if the emergence of a new player in the ASIC market doesn't lead to more competition and more vendors to choose from.  This is a golden opportunity for vendors to emerge who have short order to delivery times and for the now ridiculous never-ending pre-order saga to die a far overdue death.  It would be a shame if it's squandered on merely reinforcing the status quo.
Activity: 250
Merit: 250
Pages:
Jump to: