Pages:
Author

Topic: Lose vs Loose - page 5. (Read 3553 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038
December 10, 2013, 06:14:13 AM
This thread is making me loose my mind.
Just stop it already , it is loosing its meaning as all of you repeat it over and over.
Some people have a few screws lose and will not follow it whatever you do.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
December 10, 2013, 06:12:19 AM
I think we all underestimate the number of people on these boards who's native language isn't English.
Can't really blame them for not using lose vs. loose.  Their grammar is probably better than most Americans on here.  #justsaying

It's not the non-native English speakers. If they are advised of an error they will correct it because they want to speak the language properly.  They have something lacking in native speakers.............pride in their ability to correctly read, speak and write the language.

It is the lazy-assed native speakers who have an "It'll do!" attitude who drive me nuts.

My $.02.

Wink
Activity: 476
December 10, 2013, 05:45:06 AM
I see this error in almost every post on this message board and Reddit. What is the reason? School budget cuts? It's almost as bad as "your" vs "you're", but I gave up on people figuring that one out a long time ago.

Why can't people grasp the difference between the two? The pronunciation and meaning are completely different. For reference:

Loose

not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.
"a loose tooth"
synonyms:   not fixed in place, not secure, unsecured, unattached; More
detached, unfastened, untied;
wobbly, unsteady, movable
"a loose floorboard"
antonyms:   secure, tight

Lose

be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
"I've lost my appetite"
synonyms:   be deprived of, suffer the loss of; More
no longer have
"he's lost a lot of blood"
antonyms:   keep, regain

Thank you for you post.

I have alluded to this very problem many times on internet forums and have repeatedly only gotten kicked in the teeth.

As I decry the misuse of the apostrophe, I also mourn the decline of the subjunctive.

I am of the opinion that those who cannot effectively and correctly communicate should shut the f*** up!

My $.02.

.)
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
December 10, 2013, 05:28:28 AM
bad grammar is contagious
Activity: 210
Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com
December 10, 2013, 05:25:42 AM
Most of the newbies post  their addresses to get some loose change, maybe they have been a looser all their life and then there are some that have so many BTC that they don't care even if they lose some in gambling - who knows they might have a loose screw in their heads.

Not a native english speaker, correct me if there is a grammatical mistake.
Activity: 434
December 10, 2013, 04:41:59 AM
i am trying to spamwhore myself for this month, so i haven't been the best with punctuation or grammar  Grin

another thing that gets me is your and you're. if you are unsure, just use "ur." maybe it's not correct, but it's a lot better than "your." btw, i had someone tell me "your redicules." also, there, they're, and their
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
December 10, 2013, 04:38:41 AM
Yeah, I usually stop and think before I type either, indeed with this word, sometimes you can make mistakes.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
December 10, 2013, 03:39:43 AM
This tread is full of loosers.
Activity: 182
The General
December 10, 2013, 02:50:43 AM
Here you go: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.61260

A thread with a poll that says "Will bitcoin make a new all time resent low?"

Also this thread has 3000+ pages in it.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
December 09, 2013, 11:40:42 PM
I think we all underestimate the number of people on these boards who's native language isn't English.
Can't really blame them for not using lose vs. loose.  Their grammar is probably better than most Americans on here.  #justsaying
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
December 09, 2013, 11:36:52 PM
its wierd how bad it's getting on the internet never b4 has so much stupid been let lose at once with other's learning to read from igneranuses.

I just realized I can't even make up writing as bad as I've seen...
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
December 09, 2013, 11:35:59 PM
if one understands the context the spelling is irrelevant. only someone without a life would draw joy out of calling someone on it to boost their little ego.

i say the size of your bank account / wallet says how smart u r
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
December 09, 2013, 11:09:48 PM
People write "loose" instead of "lose", no one corrects them, others believe usage is correct.

Undecided
Activity: 182
The General
December 09, 2013, 11:05:02 PM
There's a lot of people who can't spell in the world and this forum is part of that world. What do you expect?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038
December 09, 2013, 10:30:38 PM
The people who would care already know this and the people who do not care will not ever start to use grammar properly.
After a while , there are more people complaining about grammar than those with wrong grammar.
Activity: 350
Merit: 253
December 09, 2013, 08:33:59 PM
I see this error in almost every post on this message board and Reddit. What is the reason? School budget cuts? It's almost as bad as "your" vs "you're", but I gave up on people figuring that one out a long time ago.

Why can't people grasp the difference between the two? The pronunciation and meaning are completely different. For reference:

Loose

not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.
"a loose tooth"
synonyms:   not fixed in place, not secure, unsecured, unattached; More
detached, unfastened, untied;
wobbly, unsteady, movable
"a loose floorboard"
antonyms:   secure, tight

Lose

be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).
"I've lost my appetite"
synonyms:   be deprived of, suffer the loss of; More
no longer have
"he's lost a lot of blood"
antonyms:   keep, regain
Pages:
Jump to: