Pages:
Author

Topic: LTC FPGA discussion! - page 12. (Read 23607 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3
March 21, 2013, 03:12:07 PM
To anyone passing by:
nothing to see here, move along.

In this regard, Litecoin specialized/custom hardware will not be Bitcoin: part deux.

scrypt is made -specifically- to make custom hardware (such as fpgas, and others) attacks much more costly/less beneficial than otherwise it would be without it. Unless they have discovered a vulnerability/flaw/subtle property no one else knows about, the MOST they are going to get is power savings.

Dont expect anywhere near the same kind of advantage that asic/fpga has over other means of mining as in bitcoin. fpgas and the other forms of custom hardware wont have the same volume savings as gpus, the same amount of engineering, nor nearly the same amount of r&d $ to back it up.

again, all they will get is possibly some power savings, and even this being due to the fact they dont have to deal with the power overhead of the rest of the components in a pc gives other miners.

until (and if) this comes out and we see what it's capable of (or they post actual proof of the benefits of their custom hardware) i'm gonna stand by this, and others have no reasons to do otherwise.

All internet engineers are welcome to post their opinions in Simran's thread. Have fun.
March 21, 2013, 03:06:50 PM
When we have a complete product, I will publish info, I am not going to take preorders or screw with peoples heads with conjecture about our final speeds/design/kwh/delivery dates/color/size/weight/cup size. I will happily chit chat about it if it does not touch on something that could cause problems later.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
March 21, 2013, 03:04:09 PM
To anyone passing by:
nothing to see here, move along.

In this regard, Litecoin specialized/custom hardware will not be Bitcoin: part deux.

scrypt is made -specifically- to make custom hardware (such as fpgas, and others) attacks much more costly/less beneficial than otherwise it would be without it. Unless they have discovered a vulnerability/flaw/subtle property no one else knows about, the MOST they are going to get is power savings.

Dont expect anywhere near the same kind of advantage that asic/fpga has over other means of mining as in bitcoin. fpgas and the other forms of custom hardware wont have the same volume savings as gpus, the same amount of engineering, nor nearly the same amount of r&d $ to back it up.

again, all they will get is possibly some power savings, and even this being due to the fact they dont have to deal with the power overhead of the rest of the components in a pc gives other miners.

until (and if) this comes out and we see what it's capable of (or they post actual proof of the benefits of their custom hardware) i'm gonna stand by this, and others have no reasons to do otherwise.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
March 21, 2013, 02:56:17 PM
Then why ask Tongue ? Our method will be a bit unique so I dont want to be putting that out there. I am sure if you run a business you can respect that.

I don't I am merely curious, but I might consider buying one if I know what I would get.  Wink
March 21, 2013, 02:52:25 PM
Then why ask Tongue ? Our method will be a bit unique so I dont want to be putting that out there. I am sure if you run a business you can respect that.
legendary
March 21, 2013, 02:47:25 PM
There are several methods to provide the memory, why would I disclose it publicly so others could use that as a starting point in their own design? That would be completely idiotic. I will point out basic stuff, but not design details or methods.

From what I can tell there are 3 potential methods:

On FPGA blockram only, highest bandwidth but FPGAs with a good amount are freaking expensive.
External SRAM, easy implementation but not as cost effective
External DRAM, needs to dedicate FPGA resources for refreshing circuitry but memory is a lot cheaper and there might be spare logic blocks anyway (so that what I did bet on)

I don't really think there are other options. And from what I know the choice is obvious.
Activity: 617
Merit: 531
March 21, 2013, 02:45:11 PM
I will be waiting patiently. Good luck to you.
March 21, 2013, 02:43:43 PM
The title of this post is going to be very ironic in coming months.

I predict most the benefits of fgpas will simply be lower power consumption per coin.

It would be ironic, if I made the thread....
March 21, 2013, 02:42:24 PM
There are several methods to provide the memory, why would I disclose it publicly so others could use that as a starting point in their own design? That would be completely idiotic. I will point out basic stuff, but not design details or methods.
legendary
March 21, 2013, 02:35:38 PM
I am curious what are you up to? Make a memory controller into the FPGA and pack a bunch of DRAM chips onto the board?

Wouldn't you like to know!

Of course I would, but since you aren't really forthcoming: I smell BS.
Activity: 308
Merit: 102
March 21, 2013, 02:14:30 PM

I predict most the benefits of fgpas will simply be lower power consumption per coin.

Your prediction is incorrect. Until the market for LTC matures enough so that someone takes a shot at ASIC, FPGA will rule.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
March 21, 2013, 02:10:53 PM

Activity: 308
Merit: 102
March 21, 2013, 02:07:29 PM
We have a lot of interest in the project so far, just taking it one day at a time. When we have more info we will announce it, the first batch will likely be small, but that is still a while away.

Do consider giving early adopters a fair chance to get the unit, rather than turning it into Black Friday sale ala Avalon.

By the way, asking today on BTC-E regarding LTC FPGA miner, I got an answer that such miner could not be powerful enough for the mining algorithm, what do you say?

That is absolutely BS. May be they meant no FPGA currently on the market will be efficient - this is completely different from the blanket statement. FPGA is a generic model (slower simulation) for any ASIC, and anything that an ASIC can do, can be done through FPGA.

I am not pulling this out of thin air. I am in EDA industry for past 15 years, and have been dealing with all big shots in ASIC/FPGA customers.

I am very very excited about this project as well, and of course, concur you statement about early adopter - and request the same to jasinlee.
March 21, 2013, 01:44:49 PM
I say, there are lots of "internet engineers" and they do not always know what they are talking about. They are assuming we are doing things the way they would do it....assuming they have any idea what they are talking about in the first place.
Activity: 756
Merit: 502
March 21, 2013, 01:36:20 PM
We have a lot of interest in the project so far, just taking it one day at a time. When we have more info we will announce it, the first batch will likely be small, but that is still a while away.

Do consider giving early adopters a fair chance to get the unit, rather than turning it into Black Friday sale ala Avalon.

By the way, asking today on BTC-E regarding LTC FPGA miner, I got an answer that such miner could not be powerful enough for the mining algorithm, what do you say?
March 21, 2013, 01:16:12 PM
I am curious what are you up to? Make a memory controller into the FPGA and pack a bunch of DRAM chips onto the board?

Wouldn't you like to know!
legendary
March 21, 2013, 12:32:14 PM
March 21, 2013, 11:55:34 AM
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
March 21, 2013, 11:24:25 AM
I could see this selling very well if it's more power efficient than GPUs and also reasonably priced in comparison to GPU with a similar hashrate. Looking up for this!
Activity: 756
Merit: 502
March 21, 2013, 11:00:52 AM
Would love joining this project to even out the mining field (vs. Avalon latest pricing scheme...).
Pages:
Jump to: