Pages:
Author

Topic: Macbook stolen in 2010! 1200 BTC on it! HELP! - page 2. (Read 6590 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Some dude boots up a macbook he got for $200 and finds a bitcoin wallet on it......reads headlines about the price of bitcoin.......1+1=BTC rich
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
You actually got the very best advice possible if your situation is genuine. It's more telling about your own character that you can't even be grateful for that.

You only got a healthy dose of mistrust and mockery because your tale is both suspicious and silly.

Still, if it helps you live with yourself to blame it on the mean bitcointalk people…
Activity: 551
Merit: 500
What a disaster, posting on the forums for assistance only gets you negative feedback! Shows the integrity of the Bitcoin speculators
Activity: 868
This is some bullshit scam attempt to acquire coins that belong to somebody else. Trance, where's your 2010 account? Lemme guess, you lost the password?

Of course it is.  Must be all that Xanax which makes the OP think his story is plausible.

It's far more likely that he's become aware that someone else had 1200 BTC on a Macbook they lost/sold/had stolen in 2010 and wants to try to recover the Macbook because he realises what they're potentially worth and the person who owned the Macbook doesn't (after all, they weren't worth much in 2010 and lots of people abandoned BTC altogether back then - people even lost interest and deleted their wallets).
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
This is some bullshit scam attempt to acquire coins that belong to somebody else. Trance, where's your 2010 account? Lemme guess, you lost the password?
Activity: 868
I believe you... try tracking down the guy who stole the MacBook. Then ask him more info about the dealer.

If you think that a drug dealer who accepted a Macbook in exchange for drugs over 3 years ago would still have it you're as deluded as the OP.  Drug dealers accept so many electronic goods as payment that he's not even going to remember who he sold/gave that particular Macbook to even if OP can locate him.

The police aren't going to care about a 3 year old theft either.  Any story the OP tells them about why he's suddenly interested in trying to recover property he did nothing about recovering at the time it was "stolen" is going to sound suspicious, not that the police have the resources to investigate every minor property theft anyway, even if it's reported immediately (normally the main reason for even reporting it is so you can claim it on insurance).

Apple's not going to get involved.  If you didn't report the Macbook as stolen in 2010 then you have no way to prove that you didn't sell it yourself.

I agree with other posters.  OP sounds a lot more like someone who's looking for advice about how to get his hands on something belonging to someone else than someone trying to recover his own property.  Xanax doesn't make you lose your memory for 3 fucking years.
Activity: 62
Merit: 0
lol

Obvious troll. If you weren`t a troll you would have listened to the advice about the cloud service.

Well, it got some lols
Activity: 42
dude it's long gone, keep fucking dreaming.. you ain't getting rich overnight you missed that chance
Activity: 350
Merit: 253
If it were me, I would spend the rest of my life tracking down this black drug dealer dude. He's probably sold it to someone else along the way, but you know, money talks. Grease the palms of a few people and maybe you'll get the info you'll need. And don't tell them it's for the bitcoins, give them a sob story about the car accident and priceless family photos, etc.

Once you have it back, try a recovery service, and if you're lucky, it might just work.
If who ever has my Macbook wiped my HDD is there anyway the coins can still be retrieved Huh
No. Not if it's been overwritten. Even if the file has been deleted, subsequent use will overwrite those free blocks with new files. In a timespan of more than three years the chance seems tiny, and that is assuming you ever locate the laptop again, which seems frankly ridiculous.

Your best bet is the cloud storage.

not sure wtf one may think I'm up to here...
It's more than enough lolz for some permavirgin troll to start a thread as stupid as this and then after some amount of posts have been accumulated go, "HAHA OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I TROLLED U ALL SO BAD" and show the link to all of his permavirgin friend.

It happens every day.

I don't currently believe you myself, but it doesn't invalidate anything I've said.

I dont think anyone believing me has anything to do with giving advice towards how one can go about recovering a Macbook~

Just believe that I DO NEED this Macbook back and EVERYONE here can benefit from the recovery of this Macbook!
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
If you had Mobile Me and Back To Mac (pre iCloud which started in Oct 2011) turned on and know the appleid then there could be a slight chance it is still connected. Very slight, but it is worth a try.  Likewise, if you had any type of time machine backup set and the wallet.dat file was backed-up, look there.

Your best bet is to figure out what cloud storage service you used, the password etc. and check there.  Likewise, if you have a time capsule or other time machine backup, check those.  Also, if you did have any of the old MobileMe features on, see if they are still active.

If none of those, you'll have to find the machine and hope that it hasn't been formatted IF you can even find it.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I don't think you are getting that Macbook back if you ask me. Truth is even if you got it back that data is most likely long gone, I know I would wipe a laptop if I bought it from anyone. Then again that is me. Those coins are most likely lost and you will never see them again. Sorry for telling you this. You can try to track it, find who they have sold it to and go from there, but I doubt it will get you far and you will just spend money and time chasing something that is gone. If you do go to police tell them the truth, no need to lie there.
legendary
Activity: 1050
if you know who stole the notebook, try tracking them and the person they gave it too. also go through gmail for cloud storage registration confirmations prior to that event, although i'm not sure how can you be not sure whether you stored it at cloud or not.
Activity: 469
Merit: 250
English Motherfucker do you speak it ?
Not possible to get back I am afraid.
Activity: 24
Question: how did you get 1200 btc back in 2010 to begin with, were you mining already?
Activity: 222
Merit: 101
So nobody knows if Apple can somehow track my Macbook? I've read about customers that have tracked their own Mac's (but only when they Mac was being used a server and they had remote access already existing)

I heard about that. This is what you're talking about:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393117/Thief-caught-Hidden-app-victim-remotely-controls-MacBook.html

Oh wow this is exactly what I'm talking about, how do i do this???

Well it needed to be set up beforehand:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2028403/dont-get-apple-picked-how-to-protect-your-mac-from-theft-in-public-places.html
Activity: 171
Merit: 100
Wow 2010 ??
So nobody knows if Apple can somehow track my Macbook? I've read about customers that have tracked their own Mac's (but only when they Mac was being used a server and they had remote access already existing)

I heard about that. This is what you're talking about:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393117/Thief-caught-Hidden-app-victim-remotely-controls-MacBook.html

Oh wow this is exactly what I'm talking about, how do i do this???

At DEFCON someone spoke about how they caught someone that stole their Macbook (but this was a server!) mine is a personal computer for school~

Everyone's asking why so late, after years and years, well because I had much more going on and it was not brought to my attention until today.

Here are some reasons WHY i was missing in action..

Not sure wtf me showing authenticity of my story has to do with someone giving me tips on how to recover this Macbook :\ but if that helps.. good.
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
What does it mean african American? What is it ?
It is American who is living in Africa or guy from Africa who is living in America ?

They are rappers who have lots of gold chains and stacks of banknotes and drive big cars with slutty white women in the back. This I learned from television. Wink
Pages:
Jump to: