Pages:
Author

Topic: March 30th BFL ASIC update - page 3. (Read 7667 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
March 29, 2013, 12:39:14 PM
well here is another way to look at it:

1. bought 1 single sc, got 2 single sc
2. stuck the biggest water cool heatsink you can find on each
3. overclock it as much as possible back to original spec (might need firmware hack)
4. Profit ?? Smiley
Activity: 144
Merit: 104
March 29, 2013, 12:22:49 PM
"I would probably have to commit seppeku if we were delayed until April." -BFL_Josh

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/632-getting-ready-april.html

Josh, you need to restore honor!

No way dude Smiley

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1676215
Oh, this is how that stuff is called these days. I thought that was called "harakiri" - stomach cutting
Activity: 279
Merit: 250
March 29, 2013, 12:15:33 PM
If I knew the fixed cores would be in within a week then I would hold off. 

I have pre orders from July of last year, If I was bumped to the front of the "fixed" line I would wait. 

If they would be delayed only a week or 2 from the other "broken" chips then I would be ok with that.

Hopefully we will get answers really soon!  Like before even the first pre-orders ship!!!

Very good point; depending on the info that is released I may do half-and-half (if that is allowed).
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
https://www.chynge.net/
March 29, 2013, 12:13:36 PM
If I knew the fixed cores would be in within a week then I would hold off. 

I have pre orders from July of last year, If I was bumped to the front of the "fixed" line I would wait. 

If they would be delayed only a week or 2 from the other "broken" chips then I would be ok with that.

Hopefully we will get answers really soon!  Like before even the first pre-orders ship!!!

Activity: 279
March 29, 2013, 12:07:14 PM

Situation with Jalapeno makes me wonder as well. Another thing that makes me wonder is how come new orders would need to wait 2 months
if BFL makes 400 units per day, it makes no sense. They haven't got that many orders to start with and a lot of people cancelled their orders,
especially in last few months, since problems with delivery date and other issues started.

Main concern for me right now is will those who ordered recently or even today will get the new, improved SC, or will be getting "old", flawed ones?

To be fair, given their track record they may have erred on the side of caution with date estimates. Say two months, deliver in 1-2, looks good for them. Just a guess.

If you ordered today just read Josh's policy:
If would would prefer to wait for a unit after we've made some changes to the systems that need a bit of tweaking, we will be happy to put your shipment on hold. However, if you'd rather have the units right now at an increased power usage, we will ship you as many units as required to get you to the hashrate your purchased, if we end up having to scale back any given class of unit to fit within the power envelope of the current board design.

If you DONT want the power hungry ones, contact BFL and let them know; they will hold your order until the new ones are ready. They don't have an specific estimate as to when a fix would be rolled out to production units, so if they fix quickly, yes you probably would get a newer one if you ordered today, but if it is difficult to solve, well, then, your SOL. We need more info tbch.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
March 29, 2013, 11:52:19 AM
Im fine with them shipping whatever Ghz I ordered.

However they should give more Ghz due to them failing on their power targets.

I hope they will give us rework instructions if the power issue is with their board or the VRs.

Their board is nothing but VR and ASIC!  The current leakage can only be in one of 2 places!!!!

Once the finished boards gets back from UL, they'll know exactly where the leak is. There is no way in hell that any of their units are going to leave their factory without UL approval, especially now that they're on record for stating there's a concern. Same true for FCC approval, of which Josh stated back in September he was waiting for the results from them then, expected within a couple weeks.
Activity: 113
https://www.chynge.net/
March 29, 2013, 11:29:00 AM
Im fine with them shipping whatever Ghz I ordered.

However they should give more Ghz due to them failing on their power targets.

I hope they will give us rework instructions if the power issue is with their board or the VRs.

Their board is nothing but VR and ASIC!  The current leakage can only be in one of 2 places!!!!
legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
March 29, 2013, 11:09:01 AM
So, BFL is getting closer to ship an ASIC product.  Maybe two weeks away if everything goes well.

- How does the increased power consumption affect the Jalapeno product?  USB does not deliver bountiful amounts of power as it is

- If someone orders today how likely are they to get their product within the next 4 months?  It's going to take a while to manufacture enough chips to fill the last 10 months of orders.  BFL's page states a 2 month or longer wait, so we can safely double that as they've already missed their late March 2013 shipping date.

In four months time I imagine difficulty will be at least 100 times higher than it is today and starting to mine with an ASIC then will be like mining with a 6970 now (not very pforitable).
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
March 29, 2013, 11:01:10 AM
Typically a company would do a major redesign like whole new PCB layout and/or whole new chip design, change the product name then announce end of life of the old product ahead of time.

Yes, that is indeed what a real company would do.

See where the problem is?

Hahah, yeah I see what you mean... that's why I opened with "I know this is BFL we're talking about, but...". I have my own reservations but I want to try and keep an open mind Tongue
March 29, 2013, 10:58:55 AM
Avalon can only produce about 600 units a month with their awesome assembly/production equipment.

BFL bought their assembly/production equipment off of Ebay (TRUTH), lol. 400 units a day... that's comedy!

Have you actualy inspected the size and complexity of Avalon vs SC?

Well I don't know all the facts, but from the pictures of BFL posted before, it looks like they *might* have a warehouse full of "boxes of fans" probably already equipped with PCBs just waiting for chips to be dropped in them. If that was the case and they had a full-time production of chips going, they might be able to assemble that much per day.

Also, if Avalon has such great production equipment, judging from the pictures of their rigs, I can't see why they can't make more in a month. Just looks like GPU sized PCBs with heatsinks in a computer case with a computer PSU. Nothing that fancy or hard to assemble but I guess thats just my opinion...
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
March 29, 2013, 10:51:33 AM
Typically a company would do a major redesign like whole new PCB layout and/or whole new chip design, change the product name then announce end of life of the old product ahead of time.

Yes, that is indeed what a real company would do.

See where the problem is?
Activity: 509
Merit: 564
"In Us We Trust"
March 29, 2013, 10:49:25 AM
Finally! Now the various units can be sent out for UL and FCC approval. I'm pretty sure that's only a 24 hour process, 48 hours at the most, being that a holiday weekend is at hand. Meanwhile, a wave of emails, like a swarm of locust, is going to be sent out for customers to send in their FPGAs, otherwise no ASICs. All should go smoothly from this point forward since enough time has past to make sure all the information on file is up to date and the 1/3:1/3:1/3 shipping arrangement has been all ironed out.

Happy Days!

Cheesy
March 29, 2013, 10:44:23 AM
Well, at least BFL offer a Lifetime warranty

Lifetime of the product.

This is an extremely important and usually overlooked detail. If they stop selling the version you have then it breaks down you get nothing, the product lifetime is over. If they start making a new version immediately after shipping then the warranty will last until they finish shipping the first batch then it's over, which could be a very short time.

Well I know this is BFL we're talking about, but I don't think they would announce end of life that soon. Typically a company would do a major redesign like whole new PCB layout and/or whole new chip design, change the product name then announce end of life of the old product ahead of time. Even though they are really slow at getting their product out there, they *sound* like they want to accommodate their customers.

In the end I think that once BFL finally gets off the ground, I'm sure that their warranty will be much better than 1 year only from a business out of China no less, with possibly more long shipping turn arounds due to customs and such.
Activity: 491
Merit: 514
March 29, 2013, 10:33:48 AM
For those that missed, an update was posted last night @ https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status-2.html

28 March 2013 - Mini-Update

I had wanted to post a video tonight, but wasn't able to make that happen, so let me apologize for that in advance. As some of you may know from the chatbox, we have been working diligently to get these ASICs out the door. We've been tracking down a power issue these last few days and have it isolated to a few key systems. In the interest of time, we are planning on potentially scaling back units hashing speed as required to accommodate the extra power and shipping multiple units to those that want their units right now. If would would prefer to wait for a unit after we've made some changes to the systems that need a bit of tweaking, we will be happy to put your shipment on hold. However, if you'd rather have the units right now at an increased power usage, we will ship you as many units as required to get you to the hashrate your purchased, if we end up having to scale back any given class of unit to fit within the power envelope of the current board design.

We have the current design hashing, and as I said, I had hoped to have a video of a unit hashing here in KC, but I wasn't able to bring that all together tonight, but hopefully I can get it posted up tomorrow or by this weekend. I will update as soon as I have more news to share, with a video.

If you absolutely do not want a unit that is consuming more power than expected, you can let us know you'd like to wait for a revised unit or you are welcome to request a refund. If you'd rather have your units shipped regardless of increased power usage, we will still guarantee your hashrate by shipping you however many units are required to achieve your purchased hashrate. There is no need to contact us right now if you are not concerned about the power usage and just want your units shipped ASAP. Even with the increased power demand on these first units, they will still out perform any competing products by a very wide margin in terms of power and megahash/J.

Again, we apologize for the delay, but we are almost there.
Activity: 95
March 29, 2013, 10:03:18 AM
do not have time to read the whole thread but is it true that BFL hold off the remain waffer run now while they try to fix problem.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
March 29, 2013, 09:32:15 AM
I think if they really have something can work, no matter how much power drain it is or how hot it is, they can provide a short mining video. But except words, we see nothing.
Or they just are not able to disguise avalon and post video of it mining  Cheesy
Activity: 448
March 29, 2013, 09:08:00 AM
I think if they really have something can work, no matter how much power drain it is or how hot it is, they can provide a short mining video. But except words, we see nothing.
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
March 29, 2013, 09:00:13 AM

Lifetime of the product.

This is an extremely important and usually overlooked detail. If they stop selling the version you have then it breaks down you get nothing, the product lifetime is over. If they start making a new version immediately after shipping then the warranty will last until they finish shipping the first batch then it's over, which could be a very short time.
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
March 29, 2013, 08:22:45 AM

Does the lifetime warranty also cover the cost to replace a house after they burn it down?

no, you'll just a get a disclaimer to never turn it on indoors...
Activity: 344
March 29, 2013, 08:19:52 AM

Does the lifetime warranty also cover the cost to replace a house after they burn it down?
Pages:
Jump to: