Pages:
Author

Topic: Maximum role of Government? - page 32. (Read 28705 times)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
July 07, 2011, 04:18:12 PM

You don't care if Africa and Asia empty themselves and their social problems into where you live.  I do - immigration of skilled workers that are urgently needed is great but having millions of unskilled immigrants would be a bad idea.   

You do realize why Africa and parts of Asia has problems ? Because we bankrupted their economies. They used to be perfectly sustainable until our governments came down there to "improve things". It started with our plundering of their mines, destruction of their farming industry, and now is followed with the so-called "foreign AID" (an AID that disallows them to restart their farming business, we flood them with so much food that any farming business down there is doomed to fail, and farming is the basis of any economy).

Of course it would be painful to move out of this state our own governments created, but in the long run far better than continuing to abuse them.

"We" bankrupted their economies?

Unless you are a senior guy at the IMF, I assume you mean your grandparents helped colonise places. And I assume you are richer as a result of your ancestors' looting Africa and Asia.

My folks had nothing to do with it so less of the "we" please. 
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
July 07, 2011, 04:09:52 PM

You don't care if Africa and Asia empty themselves and their social problems into where you live.  I do - immigration of skilled workers that are urgently needed is great but having millions of unskilled immigrants would be a bad idea.   

You do realize why Africa and parts of Asia has problems ? Because we bankrupted their economies. They used to be perfectly sustainable until our governments came down there to "improve things". It started with our plundering of their mines, destruction of their farming industry, and now is followed with the so-called "foreign AID" (an AID that disallows them to restart their farming business, we flood them with so much food that any farming business down there is doomed to fail, and farming is the basis of any economy).

Of course it would be painful to move out of this state our own governments created, but in the long run far better than continuing to abuse them.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
July 07, 2011, 03:59:52 PM
I went with moderate.

For any society to exist, it needs some kind of defence, border control, courts and police.  Otherwise, you will have unlimited immigration and criminality.

All of these services can be provided privately, Though why you would need border control escapes me.

Why?
Activity: 266
Merit: 10
July 07, 2011, 03:47:19 PM
All services and goods should be provided collectively.

That's the only way to have a truly classless society.
legendary
July 07, 2011, 03:47:03 PM
I went with moderate.

For any society to exist, it needs some kind of defence, border control, courts and police.  Otherwise, you will have unlimited immigration and criminality.

All of these services can be provided privately, Though why you would need border control escapes me.

July 07, 2011, 03:43:16 PM
If i cannot cancel that subscription-service, then why do we need private ISP's ? If the most efficient and fairest model for services i need is to have the majority choose just one monopoly for everyone for a longer term, then that model should be copied to everything else.

That's genius! We'll let everyone vote on which monopoly to choose, and that way, everyone will be happy!
July 07, 2011, 03:39:26 PM

Obviously you've never heard of government options...

To be more specific. Can i cancel my current subscription to the Democratic Party, or do i have to live with that provider for the rest of their term ? It's not just that they breached the contract (they didn't deliver the service they promised, if that happened with my ISP i could just cancel my binding contract), what happened here is that a group of people who go by the "nick name: majority" forced me to choose that provider of government services, what's next will i have to change my ISP because majority of the people do ?

If i cannot cancel that subscription-service, then why do we need private ISP's ? If the most efficient and fairest model for services i need is to have the majority choose just one monopoly for everyone for a longer term, then that model should be copied to everything else.
July 07, 2011, 03:35:39 PM
That's like saying, try to buy a Camry from Ford.  First Class mail is a USPS trademark name.  When you tell me what you're actually trying to say, I'll give you a link so that you can send it via FedEx.

From Wikipedia:
First-class mail in the U.S. includes postcards, letters, large envelopes (flats) and small packages, providing each piece weighs 13 ounces or less. Delivery is given priority over second-class (newspapers and magazines), third class (bulk advertisements), and fourth-class mail (books and media packages). First-class mail prices are based on both the shape and weight of the item being mailed. Pieces over 13 ounces can be sent as Priority Mail. In the U.K., First Class letters are simply a priority option over Second Class, at a slightly higher cost. Royal Mail aims to (but does not guarantee to) deliver all First Class letters the day after postage.

Primarily, I'm concerned with Postcards and letters.

Once again, me doing your five second long Google homework for you: http://fedex.com/us/government/us/ways-to-ship.html

Notice in the package size field that nearly all shipping options include "letter" size.  Obviously you've never got a letter sent via FedEx before.  Roll Eyes

And Post cards? btw, 'letter size' is 8.5" x 11" NOT the 3-fold letter envelope.

Also, Can I choose not to receive mail from the USPS? I can refuse delivery on any package sent.

Oh, and that link you gave me, is for the US government. Agencies, not 'citizens'. Try again.
Activity: 154
Merit: 103
July 07, 2011, 03:22:39 PM
That's like saying, try to buy a Camry from Ford.  First Class mail is a USPS trademark name.  When you tell me what you're actually trying to say, I'll give you a link so that you can send it via FedEx.

From Wikipedia:
First-class mail in the U.S. includes postcards, letters, large envelopes (flats) and small packages, providing each piece weighs 13 ounces or less. Delivery is given priority over second-class (newspapers and magazines), third class (bulk advertisements), and fourth-class mail (books and media packages). First-class mail prices are based on both the shape and weight of the item being mailed. Pieces over 13 ounces can be sent as Priority Mail. In the U.K., First Class letters are simply a priority option over Second Class, at a slightly higher cost. Royal Mail aims to (but does not guarantee to) deliver all First Class letters the day after postage.

Once again, me doing your five second long Google homework for you: http://fedex.com/us/government/us/ways-to-ship.html

Notice in the package size field that nearly all shipping options include "letter" size.  Obviously you've never got a letter sent via FedEx before.  Roll Eyes
July 07, 2011, 03:22:19 PM
I went with moderate.

July 07, 2011, 03:19:54 PM

From Wikipedia:

legendary
July 07, 2011, 03:14:58 PM
I went with moderate.

July 07, 2011, 03:10:22 PM

What you're talking about is Anarchy, because a government is defined by it's method of revenue collection: through taxation (ie, mugging). If you can choose to not pay a government for its services, it's not a government, it's a private service agency.

I prefer the term private-governments. (i feel its more marketable brand for anarchy) Wink

An even better term is Phyle.
July 07, 2011, 03:09:54 PM
I voted the last option, however i have a multiple-choice position.

In my view both Moderate, Minimal and None could coexist simultanously. I think they (the government options) should be freely available just like utitlities companies, insurance companies and telecom providers are.

What you're talking about is Anarchy, because a government is defined by it's method of revenue collection: through taxation (ie, mugging). If you can choose to not pay a government for its services, it's not a government, it's a private service agency.

Obviously you've never heard of government options existing along side private options.  Have you ever heard of the USPS?  You can choose to use them OR you can choose to use UPS, FedEx, etc.

Uh huh. Try sending first class mail via FedEx.

July 07, 2011, 02:56:10 PM

I prefer the term private-governments. (i feel its more marketable brand for anarchy) Wink
July 07, 2011, 02:45:32 PM

In my view both Moderate, Minimal and None could coexist simultanously. I think they (the government options) should be freely available just like utitlities companies, insurance companies and telecom providers are.

Obviously you've never heard of government options existing along side private options.  Have you ever heard of the USPS?  You can choose to use them OR you can choose to use UPS, FedEx, etc.

Uh huh. Try sending first class mail via FedEx.
July 07, 2011, 02:36:33 PM

July 07, 2011, 02:32:48 PM

Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
July 07, 2011, 02:24:24 PM
private-enterprise governments

Those aren't state governments which is what we're talking about. I'm not against "government" in the chess club or any other private organizations.
July 07, 2011, 02:18:50 PM

This essentially means there is no government over those private-enterprise governments. And you decide how much protection you need, and what quality you desire, just like you do when you choose your ISP.
Pages:
Jump to: