Pages:
Author

Topic: Merit abuse. 50+12 merits received within 1 day and 1 minute. - page 2. (Read 1382 times)

legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 6947
Currently not much available - see my websitelink
Generally I try to restrict one merit per post because I only have a limited amount to give and now am involved in lots of interesting projects documenting bitcointalk history - so there are quite a few contributors to reward now for quality contributions. It is quite useful as a bookmark. Previous to this I found it quite difficult to find good posts and see no problem with merit sources rewarding consistent good posters with up to 50 merits.

It’s exactly the same way I do it. Smiley
All my Merit I sent out so far was limited to the smallest amount possible to give away. I don’t want to run out of sMerits because if I’ll notice a great post in the future and I have no sMerit anymore it could be an injustice if I compare the quality of the new post I want to reward (but can’t) and the other post I rewarded in the past. 
My best solution regarding this problem is to send out the smallest amount of sMerit what’s actually possible and that’s 1 Merit.

A good idea to improve the Merit system could be to change the scale of Merits. Maybe this is a way to solve this problem:

- enable the option to give away ½ Merit or ¼ Merit

- or quite better: change the value of each Merit by multiplicating it by a factor of 5 (or 10) and multiplicate the amount of Merit to rank up also by a factor of 5 (or 10). All Merits already given to accounts (or sMerits stored in the accounts) must also be multiplicated by this factor. If we use a factor of 5 this could be the new rank requirements:

RankRequired activityRequired merit
Brand new00
Newbie10
Jr Member3010
Member6050
Full Member120500
Sr. Member2401250
Hero Member4802500
Legendary775-10305000

And maybe we can add 10 Merit for the rank of a Jr. Member since it would be much easier to receive a decent amount of Merits.

As a result, there would be more posts awarded because it’s better to have an option to send 5 times 1 Merit as 1 time 1 Merit.
Another positive effect would be that it’s easier for new members to receive their first Merit (what could motivate a lot) and so they could send sMerit and participate in this system, too. In addition, the motivation if you see your amount of Merit growing would have a positive impact on the atmosphere of the whole forum.
Actually, I see lots of posts which are good, but not very good and if we scale the Merit System, these good posts (which are still far away from shitposts) could receive Merits. Dividing low quality spam posts from good (or special) posts was why Merit was introduced.

If we reform the Merit System by offering a better scale, the overall impression and acceptance could be improved a lot.

Normally, changes are quite difficult to implement, I know, but this option seems to be a relative easy one.

With ANN - it is a commercial post. It should be written to a decent standard of the language it purports to be in.
That’s true, the most important purpose to translate ANNs is to receive money and I saw some candidates translating to 8 languages (or more). It’s not difficult to figure out, which translations are done by using Google Translate or similar if you have a look at some points. Like strange words we don’t say in German or if the only German post of a person is a translated ANN. There are some more points we have to check but these red-flags in addition, we can be sure it’s not translated how it should be, what is not fair to native speakers doing it in the right way.

It is different for a user attempting to answer a thread. I'm dyslexic - my language skills are not perfect. Enabling the browser spellcheck has been useful. If I write in some of the other languages I attempt to get better at I would not put an important thread up without getting it checked over by a native speaker. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get someone on the forum to help translate.

The theyoungmillionaire (who I only had a very brief conversation with via PM) helped me translate an important anti phishing post into Filipino (A lot of Filipino users are victims of exchange phishing scams) and another user helped me translate the same post into Russian (my Russian is quite poor). I like reading the Russian and German forums because it has some high quality posts in there - even though I am not particularly good at either language.
Great  Wink
But I’m not very experienced in so many languages like you. I had French a few years ago but now at my university, foreign languages are less important, it’s more technical now. But nice to hear about helpful members, that’s what we need!

and qwk is one of the most generous merit senders. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=topsend
and legendary detonator... Grin

Cheesy Cheesy
qwk
donator
Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413
Shitcoin Minimalist
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1926
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
My humble opinion, to solve this problem of over merit, just modify the merit voting taking away the possibility to decide how much merit to give to an user by the voter himself.

Permit to vote a merit to a user just with 1 point.

Simple and will avoid any abuse

Then they would send 1 merit 50 times.

No permit to send only one vote for post for user and will never happen

50 different posts 1 merit each.

Well in that case the user had to prepare 50 posts, not one and at that point find that all 50 posts are of good quality to merit a point, can be a different challenge, and can reveal underneath games....
I don't believe this is a necessary approach. Since the airdropped Merit is almost spent there would only be problems for Merit sources reaching their limit of distributed Merit. I could imagine this needs a lot of time to find good posts and if a Merit source finds a good one, why not rewarding it with 10 Merit or more?

Personally I read Theymos post about merit and see the purpose of the merit system as rewarding users that provide good content. So when I look at giving merit now I look at whether a person does regular shitposts -  if they regularly post shitposts - I won't give them merit for a good post because in my opinion defeats the purpose of merit.

Generally I try to restrict one merit per post because I only have a limited amount to give and now am involved in lots of interesting projects documenting bitcointalk history - so there are quite a few contributors to reward now for quality contributions. It is quite useful as a bookmark. Previous to this I found it quite difficult to find good posts and see no problem with merit sources rewarding consistent good posters with up to 50 merits.

With ANN - it is a commercial post. It should be written to a decent standard of the language it purports to be in. It is different for a user attempting to answer a thread. I'm dyslexic - my language skills are not perfect. Enabling the browser spellcheck has been useful. If I write in some of the other languages I attempt to get better at I would not put an important thread up without getting it checked over by a native speaker. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get someone on the forum to help translate.

The theyoungmillionaire (who I only had a very brief conversation with via PM) helped me translate an important anti phishing post into Filipino (A lot of Filipino users are victims of exchange phishing scams) and another user helped me translate the same post into Russian (my Russian is quite poor). I like reading the Russian and German forums because it has some high quality posts in there - even though I am not particularly good at either language.

On June 10 User 1miau https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/1miau-2143453 received 50 merits (33+17) from a mod of a German board phantastisch https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/phantastisch-18312 for a topic called  Übersetzungs-Spam gefunden? Hier könnt ihr ihn berichten (Translation = Found a translation spam ? Here you can report it.) https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.39318850 Also he received 12 merits within 1 minute on June 14 for the same topic from the user qwk https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/qwk-24140. I think this is a record for merits giveaway from two profiles to a single profile in that short period of time for a REGULAR TOPIC. This people are either fiends or 1miau is just their alt account, that is pushed to Full Member status via merit abuse. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;u=2143453

I don't know whether you checked but phantastisch is bitcointalk staff.

and qwk is one of the most generous merit senders. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=topsend

and legendary detonator... Grin

Also - "Übersetzungs-Spam gefunden? Hier könnt ihr ihn berichten" translates correctly into " Translation Spam found? You can report it here" rather than:
"Found a translation spam ? Here you can report it"

1miau won't even benefit from the merits because his activity count first has to catch up.
                       Activity     Merit
Member             60             10
Full Member   120            100
legendary
My humble opinion, to solve this problem of over merit, just modify the merit voting taking away the possibility to decide how much merit to give to an user by the voter himself.

Well in that case the user had to prepare 50 posts, not one and at that point find that all 50 posts are of good quality to merit a point, can be a different challenge, and can reveal underneath games....
I don't believe this is a necessary approach. Since the airdropped Merit is almost spent there would only be problems for Merit sources reaching their limit of distributed Merit. I could imagine this needs a lot of time to find good posts and if a Merit source finds a good one, why not rewarding it with 10 Merit or more?
legendary
The best part about this thread is the guy complaining has 0 merits, proving how useless his posts are.
Yes, I thought exactly the same thing  Cheesy
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
The best part about this thread is the guy complaining has 0 merits, proving how useless his posts are.
legendary
Activity: 1057
Merit: 1009

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

legendary

legendary

legendary

legendary
Legendary detonator

Duck!!!

Seriously though, your babble proves nothing, just as sending or receiving merits proves nothing. If you have actual proof of misconduct by 1miau please share.

Sorry suchmoon, but after reading the answer of yours, I start to understand why it is so difficult to communicate with a woman over 40. In my post, you read only one word that was misspelled by T9 of my phone. I just want to ask you once again. Could you please show us the profile of another newbie with 42 posts and 92 merits? That's all I am asking for. Thank you and best regards.

So your proof is the number of merits relative to the number of posts? What ratio is considered a crime in your opinion?

As to your mommy issues, I suggest that you don't communicate with a woman over 40, or any woman at all if you find that difficult.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1926
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
I'm not surprised that 1miau got a whole lot of merit. Good posts are hard to find. His posts are generally good quality posts.
Activity: 99
Merit: 2
I'll even pay you 100 merit for that Cool
Thank you. Just send me that promised 100 merits
I've sent you 1 merit for creativity in deliberate misunderstanding of my post. Nice try Wink

You should ask Theymos for renaming you to  FUBAR
Actually, I could just rename myself.
What I really want is the title "Legendary Detonator".

As I can see, I'm dealing here with some kind of old and clueless granny, who bought a donator (FUBAR)  status back in 2011 for $50 and now is posting some bullshit 24/7 on this scammy forum. I'm not planing spending my time answering your shitty posts. Now you can give all your merits to 1miau or to anyone else and continue posting whatever you like. You can even ask 1miau to fuck you for additional merits, because you got a problems with your personal life. I'm wishing you all the best and take care.  
Activity: 225
Merit: 1
Ok, so finally if this was your last ANN in the German subforum we won't have any trouble in the future. I get your point here. Phantastisch decided to delete your ANN and if you accept it, that's it.  

If he really has a low-quality translation, then I have no questions. But he tells me that his translation was checked by people for whom German is the mother tongue.
In addition, I am outraged by your assertion that Curare was preparing this text through Google translator. I know for sure that this is not so. I know this person and trust him.

In addition, I ask you to indicate the mistakes of Curare.
Believe me, I also do not want to be involved in the publication of low-quality translations. But while I do not see full-fledged criticism, it seems to me that in your assessment you are too biased.

Anyway, your unusual growth is very suspicious. It looks like you really just bought it. As I wrote above, I can not blame you for this. But I think this is really the case

Activity: 225
Merit: 1
Why would we help some guy to make money with translations he's obviously not qualified to deliver himself?
In other words, why would we help a scammer?

He's not a crook. this man is a professor at the university. I believe that he did the translation himself, and not through Google translator. I know this person personally. He asked me to help, and I helped.
Why did you decide that this man is a fraud? I do not know how things are in the German section. But I see a lot of poor-quality English translations. But no one complains about them

I actually believe you that he doesn't use google translator, google would never come up with such utter nonsense.
That doesn't make his posts actual German content, which is why it's correct to report it according to the rules of the forum.

Explain, please. His mistakes in some specific terms? Or his whole translation of poor quality?

As far as I can tell, 1miau is either a native German speaker or very close.
My native language is Franconian, a dialect of German, but I speak High German well enough Cool

Could you point out the mistakes that Curare made? It seemed to me that 1miau was very biased in his assessment of his translation.
But if you think that Curare's translation of poor quality, please indicate the mistakes he made. I'm ready to believe you.
qwk
donator
Shitcoin Minimalist
Thank you. Just send me that promised 100 merits
I've sent you 1 merit for creativity in deliberate misunderstanding of my post. Nice try Wink

Actually, I could just rename myself.
What I really want is the title "Legendary Detonator".
Activity: 99
Merit: 2

Thank you. Just send me that promised 100 merits and I will send the half of it (The maximum allowed) to 1miau , because with help of yours and the mod of the German board, he is now the record holder in amount of merits received for shitposting.  

please, theymos, rename me to "Legendary Detonator"

legendary
I did not do that translation. I was asked to publish this translation by a person, because he has the lowest status on the forum and he does not display pictures
Ok, so finally if this was your last ANN in the German subforum we won't have any trouble in the future. I get your point here. Phantastisch decided to delete your ANN and if you accept it, that's it.  

I know that the person who did this translation showed his work to a person for whom the German language is native. And this man approved his translation. Perhaps he had some terms that he did not translate as it is generally accepted. But I do not doubt that his translation was grammatically correct. Tell me, is the German language? Or did you learn German?
I don't know how this person speaks German in real life, but it must be funny.

Once again I ask you. What is your native language?
German?  Cheesy

qwk
donator
Shitcoin Minimalist
Unfortunately, I have archived your article via archive.is so everyone  from the German forum can confirm, that it’s a very bad translation done with Google Translate. There are words no one would use them in German, like:
-   Total Token liefert
-   Yardcap
-   4 Jahre unverfallbar
-   Wir bauen eine benutzerfreundliche Krypto Austausch
-   …..
This is worst crap German and I’m not very surprised it’s already deleted by phantastisch.
I know that the person who did this translation showed his work to a person for whom the German language is native. And this man approved his translation.
I doubt that. No native German speaker would accept "unverfallbar" as anything but (possibly intentional) gibberish.
If I had to translate that back to English, it'd be something like "un-decay-lible". You get the idea?

The guy, if you think that the translation was not done correctly, help this person figure out what exactly he did wrong.
Why would we help some guy to make money with translations he's obviously not qualified to deliver himself?
In other words, why would we help a scammer?

I know this interpreter personally. I know that he does not use Google translator or something similar.
I actually believe you that he doesn't use google translator, google would never come up with such utter nonsense.
That doesn't make his posts actual German content, which is why it's correct to report it according to the rules of the forum.

Once again I ask you. What is your native language?
As far as I can tell, 1miau is either a native German speaker or very close.
My native language is Franconian, a dialect of German, but I speak High German well enough Cool
Pages:
Jump to: