Author

Topic: [Mining OS] SimpleMining.net - Manage Your GPU farm the easy way! (30 days free) - page 497. (Read 835461 times)

Activity: 873
Merit: 268
Why Stop @ 7 GPU mining Rig.

I am building a 18 GPU Mining Rig with the following bad boy:

http://www.ieci.com.au/information/article1.asp?Article_ID=717

Grin Grin
Activity: 189
Merit: 100

OK, can anyone from you confirm that MSI Z170 or Z270 is working or not working ?
Also how many gpus did anyone tested on those motherboards ?

I am looking for 6GPU motherboard cheapest alternative and the MSI Z170 and Z270 are one my aim right now.
But i need to confirm if they are working with SMOS without problems ? (becasue i had reports that there was problems Smiley

I just got my 7th GPU up and running on an MSI Z170A Gaming M5. So far so good, and if you have a local MicroCenter (I forget if you are in the US), they tend to have several open box discounts. The salesperson I spoke with said they tend to get a lot of returns for this board because it is an entry level "gaming board," and a lot of 12 year old kids end up buying the wrong processor. I didn't know how to feel about that. Regardless, they are available for $100 here on a fairly regular basis, and $120 all the time.

If you buy this board, this is all you have to do to get it working with 7 cards:

--upgrade to the latest BIOS
--activate 4G decoding in PCIe BIOS options
--select IGE (i.e., integrated graphics) as the preferred video source upon bootup.
----there are a couple posts floating around where people state you have to select a different PCIe speed. DON'T DO THIS. It will cause all sorts of problems and is unnecessary since the release of the latest BIOS update.

That's it, and you can run 7 cards with it.

Thank you for this.  Have you confirmed this runs 7 cards on SMos?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Yep, new Beta updates (which you need to use yourself) :
- first beta kernel update 4.11
- then beta amd driver 16.60
And the speeds are very close to windows.
And i dont need to tell you how windows vs linux works in other maters Smiley

OK, can anyone from you confirm that MSI Z170 or Z270 is working or not working ?

I am looking for 6GPU motherboard cheapest alternative and the MSI Z170 and Z270 are one my aim right now.
But i need to confirm if they are working with SMOS without problems ? (becasue i had reports that there was problems Smiley

IMHO, for 6XGPU motherboards, I think mining purposed : H81s (Asrock) and TB85s (Biostar) is the mobo to get.

If you want the 7xGPU variation, then you can either use the PCI splitter method, in which this will be an addon to your H81 or TB85. Although it allows you to do up to 8xGPU, only up to 7 GPU works with Windows or Linux. The 8th GPU may need some custom driver or other Windows Enterprise hacks, to work but I gave up getting on the 8th GPU to work.

OR

Get mobo that supports Z170/Z270 Intel chipset popular for gaming often with nerd-approved features... multiple crossfire or SLI capability, highend hifi sound, blinking lights, "R" - racing stripes, etc.... hence this mobo usually have a lot of PCI slots, which just perfect for mining (although it was not designed for mining). Standard Z170/Z270 mobo usually works up to 4 x PCI slots out of the box (I guess no gamer is mad enough to have 2 x SLIs or 2 x Crossfire configured GPUs). To enable the remaining PCI slots to use for 7xGPU mining.... well thats not straight forward. I myself have the Biostar Z170-GT7, and after many attempts, BIOS upgrades, etc... it just too many things to do to get it to work (meaby... Cheesy). However, I know some miners have got them going to 7 x GPUs. I wish they share their secrets so that we know what to do... Grin

** EDIT: thanks to Tummler for sharing his 7xGPU process with the Gaming M5 mobo.

Now, I am working on my 2nd GPU farm, and I decided I will use only the H81 and TB85 motherboard, mainly because it's purposely designed for mining, so it has no-frills features, below $100 bucks or less, need smaller PSU, supports LINUX, smOS and SRR. Using non-mining specific mobos like MSI Gaming 5s, 7s for example; it will be an expensive board for mining unless you have plans to resell it to gamers. Also, it breaks my heart to see such high-end on-board audio and other gaming features sitting collecting dust on the Biostar Z170-GT7.

For smOS to work.... I highly suspect if functionality of an operating system like Linux or Windows, is dependent on a popular gaming motherboard architecture like the Intel Z170 chipset. I bet you that if mobo can run Windows - it will run LINUX and smOS have no issues running on that mobo. Maeby... people have complaint about smOS cannot run on Z170 motherboard with 5 or 6 or 7 GPUs -- but have no problems with smOS with 4 x GPUs or less.

Sorry for long sharing and reading. I know many experts here so welcome any feedback or correct me if I am wrong.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0

I just got my 7th GPU up and running on an MSI Z170A Gaming M5. So far so good, and if you have a local MicroCenter (I forget if you are in the US), they tend to have several open box discounts. The salesperson I spoke with said they tend to get a lot of returns for this board because it is an entry level "gaming board," and a lot of 12 year old kids end up buying the wrong processor. I didn't know how to feel about that. Regardless, they are available for $100 here on a fairly regular basis, and $120 all the time.

If you buy this board, this is all you have to do to get it working with 7 cards:

--upgrade to the latest BIOS
--activate 4G decoding in PCIe BIOS options
--select IGE (i.e., integrated graphics) as the preferred video source upon bootup.
----there are a couple posts floating around where people state you have to select a different PCIe speed. DON'T DO THIS. It will cause all sorts of problems and is unnecessary since the release of the latest BIOS update.

That's it, and you can run 7 cards with it.
2dm
Activity: 5
I am having an issue where my rig is mining but it isn't being displayed in my simplemining.net/dashboard. I have saved my email address to the config.txt.

I have noticed that in Ubuntu it says when starting,

YOUR EMAIL:
####################

and nothing updates when I change options on my dashboard

Hello,

You will need to SSH access that rig using his LAN IP.

Example:
1) ssh [email protected]
Pw: miner

Sorry, but the password (miner) is not accepted by the system ... Sad
Activity: 12
Somehow I can't get my miner to mine on Alpereum pool

Anyone knows how to join this, my miner just crash everytime it tries to join this pool.

Dwarfpool works fine.

Thanks.

give me a link to the pool I will try to figure out the issue

https://www.alpereum.ch Smiley

can't get it to work so far

-s pool.alpereum.ch:3001 -u 0x2e577Eb55514b083825cfF4Fa51db598621A1F8a.test

i dont know the pool now, but one hint i have:

set on Pool Worker same as Rig-Names on SMOS.

than:  -s pool.alpereum.ch:3001 -u 0x2e577Eb55514b083825cfF4Fa51db598621A1F8a.$rigName

https://i.imgur.com/aEhEGkB.png
http://imgur.com/aEhEGkB

Used
-wd 1 -r 1 -epool pool.alpereum.ch:3001 -ewal $walletETH.$rigName
Still doesn't work lol.

What miningsoftware are you using?

TRY:

Claymore-ETH 8.1 Custom

Code:
-wd 1 -r 1 -epool stratum+tcp://pool.alpereum.ch:3001 -ewal $walletETH/$rigName -esm 0 -epsw x -allpools 1 -mport -3333
Activity: 8

Anyone knows how to join this, my miner just crash everytime it tries to join this pool.

Dwarfpool works fine.

Thanks.

than:  -s pool.alpereum.ch:3001 -u 0x2e577Eb55514b083825cfF4Fa51db598621A1F8a.$rigName

https://i.imgur.com/aEhEGkB.png
http://imgur.com/aEhEGkB

Used
-wd 1 -r 1 -epool pool.alpereum.ch:3001 -ewal $walletETH.$rigName
Still doesn't work lol.

Dwarfpool works fine.

Thanks.

than:  -s pool.alpereum.ch:3001 -u 0x2e577Eb55514b083825cfF4Fa51db598621A1F8a.$rigName
I am having an issue where my rig is mining but it isn't being displayed in my simplemining.net/dashboard. I have saved my email address to the config.txt.

YOUR EMAIL:
####################

Check Again the Config.txt on your flashed drive! it just can be a TYPO, or your router is blocking, but if you still connected to a pool..... the router isnt responsible for issue.

it should look like this:

Code:
## YOU NEED TO ENTER YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS !!!
## It will be used for rig authentication and managment
[email protected]

keep care there is no space.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10

Dwarfpool works fine.

Thanks.

Please let me know, if you get it working, I still can't figure it out :/

Hello!

Which miner are you using?

Dwarfpool works fine.

Thanks.

Please let me know, if you get it working, I still can't figure it out :/
Activity: 61
Merit: 10

YOUR EMAIL:
####################

Hello,

You will need to SSH access that rig using his LAN IP.

Example:
1) ssh [email protected]
Pw: miner

2) nano /mnt/user/config.txt
Use keyboard arrows to see what is written after EMAIL=*****
Put your email there

3) Ctrl+x
y
enter

4) sudo reboot

You're rig is now mining to your email dashboard.

If you are on windows and can't use SSH, then please install MobaXterm, it's a good software to manage SSH connections.

Hope this helps.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'

this board works  and does 5 as tested by me

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2V0AHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?

It may do six I just never tested six.
legendary

Dwarfpool works fine.

Thanks.

Activity: 487
Merit: 252
bou !
My problem is the hasrate that receives nanopool, I lose about 30mh on 390 Sad

I ask myself the question, maybe with your bone it will be better ....

I will try to test ..

legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1096
Simplemining.net Admin

Activity: 366
Merit: 250
@tytanick: I would like to know if with this osss, my hasrate is better to represent rather than with windows?

Because on my pool I am always inferior,

Thx

you are correct.  you will do say 28 or 29  on windows  vs 27 or 28 a card here.

This isn't true anymore, hashing with new kerner and driver gives exactly same result like windows.
Activity: 366
Merit: 250
I am now experiencing the 300/300 problem with gpu0, regardless of how I set up my rig or which PCIe slot I use.

Before this afternoon, everything was cruising along fine for the last week with my 3 x MSI rx 470 gaming 4GB rig. Today, I received risers in the mail, and proceeded to make my 3 gpu rig into a 6 gpu rig. I eventually managed to get it to boot up and everything looked like it was going as planned, but gpu0 was stuck at 4.04 mh/s (with the dashboard indicating it was clocked at 300/300), while the rest of the cards performed as expected.

I began working backwards, thinking I had a hardware problem, but after a couple rounds of unplugging what I thought was gpu0, and upon reboot, gpu0 still operating at 4.xx mh/s with the dashboard indicting the card was clocked at 300/300, I started to suspect otherwise. I finally got down to one card, and after several reboots and moving it around to several different PCIe slots, same thing.

I upgraded to the beta 4.11 kernel, and that didn't help.

After all of that, I started reversing the other changes I made to my rig in anticipation of adding additional cards. I purchased an MSI Z170A Gaming M5 mobo because all of the mobos traditionally favored by miners are scarce and, to put it politely, selling at a premium. There are several people who said they were able to get 7 cards running on this board, and they outlined the changes to the BIOS that were necessary. When I undid those changes, my gpu0 went back to working correctly. The changes to the BIOS consisted of the following to the PCI subsystem settings:

PEG0 - Max Link Speed: change from [Auto] to [Gen1]
PEG1 - Max Link Speed: change from [Auto] to [Gen1]
Above 4G Decoding: [Disabled] to [Enabled]

Through process of elimination (i.e., testing my system with only one card installed directly on the mobo), I determined that changing PEG1 - Max Link Speed from [Auto] to [Gen1] is the culprit. As long as I leave that setting on auto, I can change the other two settings as described above and gpu0 functions properly, but as soon as I change the PEG1 setting, gpu0 goes back to 4.xx mh/s and 300/300 on the dashboard.

To be clear, I didn't type all of this up because I expect someone to help me. To the contrary, this is a hobby to me, and I will work through it. However, it seems like the 300/300 problem has reared its ugly head multiple times without a decisive resolution of the underlying cause. I'm just hoping that the info I provided will help tytanick diagnose the problem.

Does any1 solve this problem? I have the same  Sad

Are you overclocking etc?

If yes, try to work from stock default settings, and move up until you hit that 300/300 issue.

No default settings is solving it, but I don't have any good news here I am facing this problem since January. It is not hardware related problem, it is something wrong with ubuntu or claymore eth miner. I have exactly the same, exchanged gpus, risers, slots, mixed cards, exchnaged MB, ram, PSU everything, gpus are crashing randomly. Also I have check ethOS, it is exactly the same. So it is not tytanick's fault anywhere. I was able to solved it partialy, it runs smoontly for weeks on windows machine (same configuration, same parts same everything), only windows instead of linux. Oh and yeee no bios , no straps working either. You can set default bios with default straps and  gpus will still hang on ubuntu. New drivers and kernel isn't solving this issue either.

Dwarfpool works fine.

Thanks.

0x2e577Eb55514b083825cfF4Fa51db598621A1F8a
legendary

Dwarfpool works fine.

Thanks.

Jump to: