Pages:
Author

Topic: Monero Marketing: Is It Time? - page 3. (Read 3236 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
July 16, 2015, 11:21:31 AM
you have been marketing for 1 year now with your relentless hateful spam

It is not marketing what we are doing here.
Monero will attract crypto virgins with piles of fiat money.
Bitcoiners who are smart enough have joined in already, more or less. It is time to look for people who are not even aware of crypto and introduce Monero to them as the best coin ever made.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090
=== NODE IS OK! ==
July 16, 2015, 07:01:53 AM
you have been marketing for 1 year now with your relentless hateful spam
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
July 16, 2015, 06:52:42 AM
Before marketing, I think XMR must have at least one direct fiat/XMR exchange.

Well unfortunately there is not one. Monero has two!

Which ones?

rumor has it there's actually 3:

and to clarify, I guess altquick is not an "exchange", its merely a place to buy Monero directly with fiat.

https://www.altquick.co/buy-2.php?coin=XMR

and apparently xstock.io, as indicated here: http://moneroinvestment.com/?page_id=19 , but it looks like XMR is not live yet

and there's a 3rd someone mentioned...
Activity: 744
Merit: 500
July 16, 2015, 06:37:19 AM

Which ones?
Activity: 686
July 16, 2015, 02:48:45 AM

Activity: 744
July 16, 2015, 02:05:18 AM
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
July 15, 2015, 09:08:46 PM
We can launch a wallet branded "Monero Official GUI". That would do the trick.

Give it that title, but keep it as a CLI Cheesy
Activity: 649
July 15, 2015, 05:21:47 PM
Marketing comes with a final product .....

you talking no oficial gui for hundreds of forks comming....

sure not good to promote with your own name something is not finished

Ok, we'll put you down for Option Three.  Thanks for voting!

Why is it so important than the Official GUI exit, when there are ~four unofficial ones, plus a webwallet?

What if the devs temporarily made one of the exiting GUI wallets quasi-official (Unofficially Official) while we wait for the exciting next-gen tech to be finished?

We can launch a wallet branded "Monero Official GUI". That would do the trick.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
July 15, 2015, 03:51:07 PM
Yes I voted for option one. One problem with this thread is that the poll may be partially manipulated by trolls from other communities to serve their own purposes. Maybe we should have another poll in the getmonero forums and compare the results.

Troll participation is welcome and no problem at all.  We are finding out where they wish to concentrate their FUD attacks and to what extent they've been effective.   Wink

The troll-free getmonero poll already exists in the form of various crowdfunding efforts.    Cool
July 15, 2015, 03:21:35 PM
I wish someone had heavily marketed BTC to me back in 2009 when it was full of bugs and not the "final product" we have today.

Final product = much higher prices.

Some people actually enjoy being early adopters and spreading the word about bleeding edge tech. Those who hear about Monero in a few years when prices may be 100x higher than they are now probably will wish they heard about the "unfinished" product of today.

Besides there is no definition of finished product in crypto. Even BTC is still in beta. What I look for is steady development. Looking at github and the getmonero forums you will see lots of activity. Things are moving along nicely.

Good points.  Did you vote for Option One?

Yes I voted for option one. One problem with this thread is that the poll may be partially manipulated by trolls from other communities to serve their own purposes. Maybe we should have another poll in the getmonero forums and compare the results.
legendary
July 15, 2015, 02:54:01 PM
I wish someone had heavily marketed BTC to me back in 2009 when it was full of bugs and not the "final product" we have today.

Some people actually enjoy being early adopters and spreading the word about bleeding edge tech. Those who hear about Monero in a few years when prices may be 100x higher than they are now probably will wish they heard about the "unfinished" product of today.

Besides there is no definition of finished product in crypto. Even BTC is still in beta. What I look for is steady development. Looking at github and the getmonero forums you will see lots of activity. Things are moving along nicely.

Good points.  Did you vote for Option One?
July 15, 2015, 02:33:47 PM

you talking no oficial gui for hundreds of forks comming.... haha ect... maybe you need help to dump your XMR at expensives prices

price go down for XMR and is good.

legendary
July 15, 2015, 02:32:32 PM

you talking no oficial gui for hundreds of forks comming....

Ok, we'll put you down for Option Three.  Thanks for voting!

Why is it so important than the Official GUI exit, when there are ~four unofficial ones, plus a webwallet?

What if the devs temporarily made one of the exiting GUI wallets quasi-official (Unofficially Official) while we wait for the exciting next-gen tech to be finished?
legendary
July 15, 2015, 02:27:15 PM
When are you guys going to realize unless you get everyone in the world involved your wasting your time ?

Better check those exchange prices again (since that is all that matters)

We realized unless we get everyone in the world involved we're wasting our time when JR posted his "Only the Black Market Matters" manifesto.  If not sooner.

Good point about the exchange prices; XMR is worth $4.8 million.

I'm not sure with what to compare that number (a house on a decent golf course, a hobby winery somewhere nice?).

Using the start-up metaphor, $4.8 mil seems large enough to leave stealth/quiet mode and start making some marketing noises.

But the poll is running heavily towards 'not ready, wait for GUI/DB/SPV.'   Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1176
July 15, 2015, 02:19:19 PM

you talking no oficial gui for hundreds of forks comming.... haha ect... maybe you need help to dump your XMR at expensives prices

price go down for XMR and is good.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
July 15, 2015, 02:13:40 PM
Marketing ? LOL
no we never heard of it hahhaha

You guys are a day late and a dollar short.. I seen on my Canadian Tire receipt today something about CT-eCash
get it ?
Spoiler Alert:
The world is taking over Digital Currencies while Github Teens jerk off here at the forum.. year after year accomplishing nothing.

When are you guys going to realize unless you get everyone in the world involved your wasting your time ?
Hanging around Bitcointalk and the various Exchange Chat Boxes wankering on about your coin of the future is not smart.
Better check those exchange prices again (since that is all that matters)
legendary
Activity: 1092
July 15, 2015, 01:04:43 PM
I don't need Monero needs official GUI before starting to find investors as many guys want to be early adopter.
The masses need GUIs and all that good stuff.
legendary
July 15, 2015, 12:13:03 PM
I fully agree. The thousands of XMR dumped into that dice site also come to mind. The dice site swindle could've funded moneromoo 5X over.

Yah know, I'll just go on record saying it. Monero doesn't need an official GUI because we don't want grandma using it right now, and grandma can use mymonero. There are too many hardforks coming up that grandma isn't going to be bothered with. There's too many nuances considering its a completely different codebase than bitcoin. Right now, we don't want people cutting corners and ultimately putting the network's security at risk in order to make a few bucks (BTC SPV mining incident).

So yes, my vote is for "yes the world is ready" because the ones that are going to recognize what Monero is will take the time to figure out the CLI, how to compile the bleeding edge software, etc.... or they already know how to do this, which is even better.

Therefore, I consider "marketing" to be not to grandma, but to the whiz kid in China or some coder in some other part of the world. The world is ready - The uber nerdy technologically savy part of the world.

and to further snark on the freebazaar incident, im surprised people still mine on his pool.

Good call, I had mostly ignored and then promptly forgotten l'affaire Primedice.  So that's twice XMR boosters have been burned by supporting service build-out prior to platform solidification.

Your distinction between 'grandma ready' and 'uber nerd ready' is useful.  I submit that translation efforts be considered part of platform solidification, as XMR needs every whiz kid in China, every math genius in India, and every pro coder in Brazil we can get.  Not to mention a few semi-normal people like us to act as grunts, go-betweens, and ambassadors to the drooling masses.   Tongue

Has it occurred to you JR's soon to be famous 'Build Blackmarkets or GTFO' maxim implies we should ignore quasi-fungible, radically transparent Bitcoin (perhaps abandoning it to the Gavinistas and their spook/VC/redditard fanboy backers) and focus solely on Monero (gmax's CT notwithstanding)?

In any case, this paradigm should be used for Monero marketing (but not by core devs, to avoid MiB encounters).
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
July 14, 2015, 09:14:28 PM
You can probably guess my opinion on this issue but I am curious to hear the opinions of others.

The last thing I want to do is upset the community by proceeding with some of my marketing ideas for China if lots of people think we are not ready.

Monero is a decentralized community where everyone is free to make their own decisions. However I still respect community opinions.

I'm optimistic about Arabic and Chinese translations, as there are plenty of brilliant underutilized coders in those countries, although the language barrier hasn't stopped our Russian (and Czech?) friends from participating in the fun.

I'm a little resentful and borderline bitter about so many XMR being thrown at FreeBazaar, without escrow and to the exclusion/insult of the underfunded core devs.

Our rockstar core dev/crypto-boss tacotime's participation rate dropped soon after the thread worked itself into a lather over FreeBazaar, which IMO is extremely regrettable:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10015296
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10015353

I don't have the right to question how others spend their perfectly (at both protocol and social level) fungible XMR, but will nevertheless raise the issue of when to evaluate ROI on that service-building endeavor vs the opportunity cost of platform solidification.

I fully agree. The thousands of XMR dumped into that dice site also come to mind. The dice site swindle could've funded moneromoo 5X over.

Yah know, I'll just go on record saying it. Monero doesn't need an official GUI because we don't want grandma using it right now, and grandma can use mymonero. There are too many hardforks coming up that grandma isn't going to be bothered with. There's too many nuances considering its a completely different codebase than bitcoin. Right now, we don't want people cutting corners and ultimately putting the network's security at risk in order to make a few bucks (BTC SPV mining incident).

So yes, my vote is for "yes the world is ready" because the ones that are going to recognize what Monero is will take the time to figure out the CLI, how to compile the bleeding edge software, etc.... or they already know how to do this, which is even better.

Therefore, I consider "marketing" to be not to grandma, but to the whiz kid in China or some coder in some other part of the world. The world is ready - The uber nerdy technologically savy part of the world.

and to further snark on the freebazaar incident, im surprised people still mine on his pool.
Activity: 700
July 14, 2015, 06:25:10 PM
I think the database is the dealbreaker for now, a lot of people aren't able to use the original wallet because of the amount of RAM it uses, probably almost everyone who is using a laptop and hasn't got the technical knowledge to compile not fully released software.

Mymonero is great and I trust them with my coins but for bigger adoption to occur Monero definately has to become more user friendly (grandma friendly).

About the "official" GUI, a lot of haters/sceptics complain about this and IMO there are enough good wallets but again there should be one that is "official" and user friendly.

I really like that Monero is growing up so nicely and I see it being discussed at more and more places.

Someone on TradingView sent me this link: https://getsatisfaction.com/tradingview/topics/add-https-www-poloniex-com-to-the-bitcoin-related-exchanges

Please vote for Poloniex to be added on TV if you are a TV member, I'd like to be able to chart Poloniex XMR on TV, now they only have HitBTC which isn't the most trusted exchange AFAIK.
Pages:
Jump to: