Pages:
Author

Topic: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 - 7 GPU [SOLVED] - page 3. (Read 38811 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 124
July 12, 2017, 04:34:30 PM
I've got the virtual memory set to 16GB, I've tried everything I've read about it.  Sad

Plus the miner has worked for me with 7 cards, just very rarely and until I had to reboot.

hrmmm, and I assume that all cards are over 2GB?

I've been at it about a week now with this board. I'm gonna make another effort tonight, so stay tuned. I'll report back here with my findings. All that said, its been a real ball ache, I could only imagine the BS involved with trying to use the M.2 connections.  Cry
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
July 12, 2017, 04:15:36 PM
I've got the virtual memory set to 16GB, I've tried everything I've read about it.  Sad

Plus the miner has worked for me with 7 cards, just very rarely and until I had to reboot.
July 12, 2017, 03:07:12 PM
Hi,

I have 7 x Nvidia GTX 1070 with this motherboard and have it running with 6 fine (not overclocking yet).

I am using an M.2. SSD and have 5 cards and 6 USB risers on a 1000W PSU and 2 cards and the M.2. SSD on a 500W PSU.

Sometimes when I reboot one of the cards fails to load (in device manager):

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

If I disable / enable the device then it works again.

I have run Display Driver Uninstaller then re-installed the Nvidia drivers but this does not help.

I have swapped the USB cable riser around and used different 3d cards, the hardware is all fine.

Any advice?

To get 8 GPU working in Windows 7, you need to make some changes to the registry to address the code 43 warning.  Problem I had is when I went down to 7 GPUs and back up to 8, the registry hack no longer worked.  I didn't spend too much more time on it before switching to Linux which doesn't have that problem.  Check out the NVIDIA forum post below and try that and it may help.  Supposedly not necessary for Windows 10.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/738070/cuda-setup-and-installation/8x-gpu-gtx-issue-under-windows/post/4208565/#4208565

I'm on Windows 10 but tried anyway, it didn't work though. I can occasionally get 7 cards to show without errors but even then I mostly get the error:

CUDA error - cannot allocate big buffer for DAG. Check readme.txt for possible solutions.

I've had it working perfectly with 7 cards a couple of times. Maybe it's time to try SMOS  Huh

The "Cannot allocate big buffer for DAG error...." could also be because you haven't increased the Virtual Memory to 16GB
July 12, 2017, 02:37:07 PM
Hi,

I have 7 x Nvidia GTX 1070 with this motherboard and have it running with 6 fine (not overclocking yet).

I am using an M.2. SSD and have 5 cards and 6 USB risers on a 1000W PSU and 2 cards and the M.2. SSD on a 500W PSU.

I have run Display Driver Uninstaller then re-installed the Nvidia drivers but this does not help.

I have swapped the USB cable riser around and used different 3d cards, the hardware is all fine.

Any advice?

To get 8 GPU working in Windows 7, you need to make some changes to the registry to address the code 43 warning.  Problem I had is when I went down to 7 GPUs and back up to 8, the registry hack no longer worked.  I didn't spend too much more time on it before switching to Linux which doesn't have that problem.  Check out the NVIDIA forum post below and try that and it may help.  Supposedly not necessary for Windows 10.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/738070/cuda-setup-and-installation/8x-gpu-gtx-issue-under-windows/post/4208565/#4208565

I'm on Windows 10 but tried anyway, it didn't work though. I can occasionally get 7 cards to show without errors but even then I mostly get the error:

CUDA error - cannot allocate big buffer for DAG. Check readme.txt for possible solutions.

I've had it working perfectly with 7 cards a couple of times. Maybe it's time to try SMOS  Huh
Activity: 269
Merit: 101
July 12, 2017, 01:56:45 PM
Running into an issue with Windows 10 not properly detecting my cards, or not installing the drivers. Seems fine with 4 or 5 cards, 6 or 7 and it goes to junk. Also giving a Code 43 in some cases.

It was working the other day, all cards detecting, and showing up in Device Manager, but had to fool around some to flash a card. (card is working) so I know it wasn't the flash that is causing my issues.

I have to say, this board is finicky with 5+ GPU's....

Any ideas?

Only way I was able to get 7 running smooth on these boards is running them on SMOS instead of win10.

I can say with certainty that I DID have all 7 firing, and mining under Win10 w Claymore 9.6 - Then I screwed it up when I tried to flash one of the cards. Seems, based on what I read, having a modded card in slot 2 causes issues with the board not getting past POST - (board debug code may be 92-96, 97,98,99) - This has been a problem for me. I'll test tonight, and report back.

Yeah I had 7 running in win10 but at some point the board always went nuts and they would stop working, code 12, code 43, all kinda problems I gave up and switched to SMOS.
July 12, 2017, 01:44:54 PM
Running into an issue with Windows 10 not properly detecting my cards, or not installing the drivers. Seems fine with 4 or 5 cards, 6 or 7 and it goes to junk. Also giving a Code 43 in some cases.

It was working the other day, all cards detecting, and showing up in Device Manager, but had to fool around some to flash a card. (card is working) so I know it wasn't the flash that is causing my issues.

Any ideas?

Only way I was able to get 7 running smooth on these boards is running them on SMOS instead of win10.

I can say with certainty that I DID have all 7 firing, and mining under Win10 w Claymore 9.6 - Then I screwed it up when I tried to flash one of the cards. Seems, based on what I read, having a modded card in slot 2 causes issues with the board not getting past POST - (board debug code may be 92-96, 97,98,99) - This has been a problem for me. I'll test tonight, and report back.
Activity: 269
Merit: 101
July 12, 2017, 12:54:29 PM

Any ideas?

July 12, 2017, 10:49:52 AM

Any ideas?
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
July 12, 2017, 06:34:53 AM
Anything special you needed to do to get the M.2 to PCIe converter to work on the Gaming M5?  What BIOS version are you using and what are your BIOS settings for PCI and monitor?
my bios is the latest version, i enabled 4g decoding, the gen1,gen2 setting is auto,  disable integreted video card, plug hdmi monitor  to the first Pcie 16x, m.2 closest to CPU works, the other m.2 doesn't work. I haven't try  Windows, I use nvOC, a customized linux, can be found in this forum.
now 8 cards works very stable, 7 1050ti and 1 1060.
btw, CPU is g3900.

Thanks.  How much system RAM do you have?

I have more m.2 to pcie converters arriving this week along with another 4GB RAM so I'll be able to do more testing very soon.

What issues (if any) did you encounter plugging HDMI monitor into other cards?

Did you disable other things like sound, serial i/o, etc?

Do you have any automated startup routines to undervolt and/or overclock (using nvidia-smi and nvidia-settings)?

my ram is 4GB, it's big enough. we don't need to plugin hdmi to other cards, the first card is fine. I don't disable other things, mysystem is nvOC and I believe it runs nvidia-settings on bootup to setup overclock and fan spead.
Activity: 24
July 12, 2017, 04:17:12 AM
Anything special you needed to do to get the M.2 to PCIe converter to work on the Gaming M5?  What BIOS version are you using and what are your BIOS settings for PCI and monitor?
my bios is the latest version, i enabled 4g decoding, the gen1,gen2 setting is auto,  disable integreted video card, plug hdmi monitor  to the first Pcie 16x, m.2 closest to CPU works, the other m.2 doesn't work. I haven't try  Windows, I use nvOC, a customized linux, can be found in this forum.
btw, CPU is g3900.

Thanks.  How much system RAM do you have?

I have more m.2 to pcie converters arriving this week along with another 4GB RAM so I'll be able to do more testing very soon.

What issues (if any) did you encounter plugging HDMI monitor into other cards?

Did you disable other things like sound, serial i/o, etc?

Do you have any automated startup routines to undervolt and/or overclock (using nvidia-smi and nvidia-settings)?
Activity: 24
July 12, 2017, 03:58:38 AM
Hi,

Any advice?

July 11, 2017, 11:09:04 AM

I'm currently using the most current drivers from AMD Drivers.

Long story short - I seem to be getting poor results from GPU0. All other cards are doing good given the lax settings, but GPU0 is only giving me about 4 or 5MH/s.

Any help would be really appreciated. This mobo has been one heck of a constant ball-kick though.

you probably plugged your monitor in GPU0 at some point,
use the integrated insteed,
shutdown several time till it back to normal.

I moved the PCIE I was plugged into, and it started firing properly.
Once all drivers are set my intention is to use the integrated as my primary, but have had the best luck getting Windows to install drivers when I'm plugged into one of them.

Thanks for the response!
July 11, 2017, 05:46:43 AM
Hi,

Any advice?
Activity: 168
July 11, 2017, 03:57:46 AM
Maybe too much OC? Never worked with split PSU but that might cause also some issue.
how much power do you take per GPU (check with nvidia-smi)?
Activity: 11
July 11, 2017, 01:56:22 AM
I have this same board currently running 6 GTX 1070

Win 10 creators update. without this creators update the cards hash at 2 mh/s
1.d bios
gen 1
4g enable
skylake cpu
4gb memory
Virtual memory setting 3000 -20000
I wouldn't say it's stable though
6 gpu's run about 12 hr before restarting
5 gpu's runs fine
7 gpu's claymore hashes for a few min then restarts...

Im going to upgrade to the newest bios tomorrow morning there is a 5/2017 release.

any other tips

PSU are 2 750 watts
1 running motherboard and 3 cards the other running the other 4
cards 5 asus Republic of gamers cards
1 white asus card
1 Founder edition but with this card claymore just restarts not sure if its the card or just the system becoming unstable for software reasons.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
July 10, 2017, 09:02:40 PM

Long story short - I seem to be getting poor results from GPU0. All other cards are doing good given the lax settings, but GPU0 is only giving me about 4 or 5MH/s.

Any help would be really appreciated. This mobo has been one heck of a constant ball-kick though.

you probably plugged your monitor in GPU0 at some point,
use the integrated insteed,
shutdown several time till it back to normal.
July 10, 2017, 06:51:26 PM
Hey Guys!

Hoping to get some assistance. I've re-read this whole thread a few times now, and can safely state the following;

7 x GPU's does work with the most recent BIOS but it is very important that you do the following BEFORE installing Windows 10.

UEFI only
Above 4G Decoding 'Enabled'
Win 8.1/10 set to 'Enabled'

You will otherwise run into grief. Once I did that, I was able to get Windows 10 to detect all cards.....but it isn't fully solved yet.

Right now I'm running the following;

MSI Z170A M5 Gaming board
G4400, 3.3 GHz Processor
8GB of Crucial Ram
1 x 1000w EVGA Gold PSU
1 x 650w EVGA Gold PSU
4 x Asus RX580 Dual 8GB
1 x R9 390
1 x MSI RX480 4GB
1 x MSI RX580 4GB

All cards are detecting in Windows, and I can fire up Claymore with stock settings (few of the cards have modded bios, but those particular cards ran solid for 4 days with OC prior to the addition of the other cards).

Activity: 4
July 10, 2017, 08:04:39 AM
So I have this board and had been having problems with anymore than 4 GPU's. But I now have it running with 6 NV GPU's with the IGD as the display output.

I'm running with Kabylake i3-7300 so having that is not a problem and you don't need to be looking at Skylake parts. I do have a Skylake G3900 which actually had more issues.

The main thing is to set all your settings in BIOS first and then install Windows 10, I had an old image of Windows 10 I was using that just would not boot when you enabled 'Above 4G Decoding'.

I didn't need to change much in BIOS using latest 7977v1E BIOS.

1. Above 4G Decoding 'Enabled'
2. Win 8.1/10 set to 'Enabled'
3. UEFI only

Hopefully this helps, and clears up issues for some or at least provides some hope. Smiley

Its on MSI Z170A GAMING M5 s1151 ?
Because i try almost everything Expect instal Windows only on UEFI settings but it will help ?
My succes was when i turn on once 5 GPU but with only 0 Mhm and sometimes it was 2 Mhm Cheesy :/

Yes, it is on that board. I'm not sure if it was the UEFI only setting that helped, it seemed to me it was more the Above 4G Decoding option being enabled in the first place during the windows install. That option gave me the most grief just being turned on/off with an old install. With a fresh install of Windows 10 with all the BIOS settings I wanted set in the first place I haven't had an issue since. Even added a 7th card from one of my other machines.

Ok then i will write to you on priv Smiley
Activity: 2
July 08, 2017, 01:44:08 AM
So I have this board and had been having problems with anymore than 4 GPU's. But I now have it running with 6 NV GPU's with the IGD as the display output.

I'm running with Kabylake i3-7300 so having that is not a problem and you don't need to be looking at Skylake parts. I do have a Skylake G3900 which actually had more issues.

The main thing is to set all your settings in BIOS first and then install Windows 10, I had an old image of Windows 10 I was using that just would not boot when you enabled 'Above 4G Decoding'.

I didn't need to change much in BIOS using latest 7977v1E BIOS.

1. Above 4G Decoding 'Enabled'
2. Win 8.1/10 set to 'Enabled'
3. UEFI only

Hopefully this helps, and clears up issues for some or at least provides some hope. Smiley

Its on MSI Z170A GAMING M5 s1151 ?
Because i try almost everything Expect instal Windows only on UEFI settings but it will help ?
My succes was when i turn on once 5 GPU but with only 0 Mhm and sometimes it was 2 Mhm Cheesy :/

Yes, it is on that board. I'm not sure if it was the UEFI only setting that helped, it seemed to me it was more the Above 4G Decoding option being enabled in the first place during the windows install. That option gave me the most grief just being turned on/off with an old install. With a fresh install of Windows 10 with all the BIOS settings I wanted set in the first place I haven't had an issue since. Even added a 7th card from one of my other machines.
Activity: 168
July 07, 2017, 06:55:28 PM
btw, CPU is g3900.

if you leave integrated video card enabled, enable "Windows 10" in bios only during installation (no other GPU's connected or bios will complain) and then back to "Windows 10" disabled you don't lose performance on the first GPU as it doesn't need to handle windows graphics Wink

have 2 rigs with each 6 x 1070s running and IGD active - works like a charm and all cards at the same performance Wink
Pages:
Jump to: