Pages:
Author

Topic: MTGox vs mysterious Russia - page 3. (Read 35979 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.
May 04, 2011, 12:38:02 PM
Great work on resolving the problem and defending subsequent DDoS attempts Tux.  This whole event has made me feel a bit more secure with the valuation of BTC.  For such an extensive (multi-day) attack shutting down the largest exchange, the price has barely been affected.  I was expecting a price dump into the $2.00-2.25 range as a result of people getting scared.

Congratulations from me as well. Also, I am proud of our community that we didn't let those incidents affect our faith in Bitcoin. Of course, these attacks were not aimed at the Bitcoin network itself (which is not easy to be attacked), only the websites related to it; nevertheless, some people might have lost faith for a while.

I would love to find out who organised this attack. I wonder would he be equally courageous face to face.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
May 04, 2011, 11:18:23 AM
Back to $3.50 already. I wonder what happened to that guy who sold all his BTC at $3.50.
Activity: 334
Merit: 250
May 04, 2011, 11:15:19 AM
Great work on resolving the problem and defending subsequent DDoS attempts Tux.  This whole event has made me feel a bit more secure with the valuation of BTC.  For such an extensive (multi-day) attack shutting down the largest exchange, the price has barely been affected.  I was expecting a price dump into the $2.00-2.25 range as a result of people getting scared.

All this DDoS did was allow more time for deposits/wires to be added/cleared. That money is going to Gox for 1 reason only: to buy. So you have several days of pent up demand pushing prices higher.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
May 04, 2011, 11:10:34 AM
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
May 04, 2011, 11:06:55 AM
The attack has stopped, with a promise to start again in 2 hours.

Previous attack had no impact as the ddos protection successfully blocked it (and a few dozen of normal users too). We are trying to get the ddos filtering to not block normal users.

For reference, a subset of the observed ips this time:
http://paste.pocoo.org/raw/382648/

Did the attacker attempt to make good in his/her promise of an attack 2 hours later?  I haven't had any problems connecting to MtGox today, so I assume the DDoS protection is still working well.  Well done with this whole annoyance, and thanks for the updates.
Activity: 193
Merit: 100
May 04, 2011, 10:34:17 AM
Maybe this cannot be answered honestly - but was there any hint about what was the motivation of the attackers?  Did you receive 'protection' offers or something?

The attacker sent an email from a stolen address offering to stop his attack for $5000 via libertyreserve.

This was - of course - denied. We do not negociate with internet terrorists!

Please post the email.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
May 04, 2011, 08:56:16 AM
Should have asked him to come back again in two weeks or so with a new botnet. Publicity is priceless.
vip
Activity: 608
Merit: 501
-
May 04, 2011, 08:51:40 AM
The attacker sent an email from a stolen address offering to stop his attack for $5000 via libertyreserve.

DDOS protected hosting probably would be cheaper and more reliable.

It was cheaper, and it seems more reliable. All win.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
May 04, 2011, 08:41:51 AM

DDOS protected hosting probably would be cheaper and more reliable.
vip
-
May 04, 2011, 06:46:27 AM
Maybe this cannot be answered honestly - but was there any hint about what was the motivation of the attackers?  Did you receive 'protection' offers or something?

zby
legendary
Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001
May 04, 2011, 03:42:21 AM
vip
-
May 04, 2011, 02:59:11 AM
The attack has stopped, with a promise to start again in 2 hours.

Previous attack had no impact as the ddos protection successfully blocked it (and a few dozen of normal users too). We are trying to get the ddos filtering to not block normal users.

For reference, a subset of the observed ips this time:
http://paste.pocoo.org/raw/382648/
Activity: 56
May 04, 2011, 12:40:59 AM
Can't access from my iPhone or home connection. Thought it was down again... has cost me money :/
qed
Activity: 196
May 04, 2011, 12:08:24 AM
My IP got blocked as well. I made a bitcoin transfer and went to sleep, woke up and mtgox.com was unreachable. I have a static IP and i'm the only owner (and user) of it.

May be there is something wrong with the handling of "aggressors IPs".
Activity: 28
May 03, 2011, 09:18:38 PM
I've done probably 50 requests in the past hour and it's working great for me.  Perhaps something else about your traffic pattern is triggering it.

That could be, from home I do check using different devices...same IP tho.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
May 03, 2011, 09:15:08 PM
What is the expiry time set to?

Just use a proxy or tor or i2p.  Knowing how to route around damage (like blocking) is an important skill for fully utilizing the internet.

I know how to do that yrral86, but for me it's not super critical as I mainly use mtgox to keep an eye on the btc/usd exchange rate. But thanks nonetheless for your tip Wink

allinvain if you get on irc, on freenode there are couple of channels you can watch trades and rates in real time. #bitcoin-watch lets you not only do that but also watch every transaction on the network in real time. the other channel is called #bitcoin-market

Oh wow I can't believe I forgot about that. In fact I've been idling in that channel for a month now. lol...*face palm*

Activity: 126
May 03, 2011, 08:52:02 PM
What is the expiry time set to?

Just use a proxy or tor or i2p.  Knowing how to route around damage (like blocking) is an important skill for fully utilizing the internet.

I know how to do that yrral86, but for me it's not super critical as I mainly use mtgox to keep an eye on the btc/usd exchange rate. But thanks nonetheless for your tip Wink

allinvain if you get on irc, on freenode there are couple of channels you can watch trades and rates in real time. #bitcoin-watch lets you not only do that but also watch every transaction on the network in real time. the other channel is called #bitcoin-market
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
May 03, 2011, 08:50:43 PM
Yeah not sure what triggers it specifically but I got around the block by loading up the Tor browser bundle.
Activity: 182
May 03, 2011, 08:44:54 PM
The blocking is a bit more aggressive than catching those hammering the site.  I'm blocked on my home IP on which I checked the site perhaps once per hour.

duke

I've done probably 50 requests in the past hour and it's working great for me.  Perhaps something else about your traffic pattern is triggering it.
Activity: 28
May 03, 2011, 08:42:41 PM
The blocking is a bit more aggressive than catching those hammering the site.  I'm blocked on my home IP on which I checked the site perhaps once per hour.

duke
Pages:
Jump to: