Pages:
Author

Topic: MTGox vs mysterious Russia - page 9. (Read 35979 times)

staff
Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
April 30, 2011, 11:16:44 PM
@Mt.Gox
I think that you should put a temporary simple page with a link to your twitter and this message you have made here.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
April 30, 2011, 11:11:14 PM
Would it be possible to bring Mt.Gox up at a scheduled time to avoid advantages to certain people due to downtime? Can we get a confirm on this being caused by the BTCex.com guy?
vip
Activity: 608
Merit: 501
-
April 30, 2011, 11:01:40 PM
Looks like some Russian dudes are not fond of mtgox, and based on what has been posted on this forum so far, it is difficult to exclude btcex from having something to do with it.

The decision I'm taking now is a "temporary shutdown of mtgox" until the appropriate protections against this kind of DDoS are setup here. I wasn't expecting any major DDoS so early, however I guess anarchy got back at me (maybe I should say "us" here).
For info the DDoS has started yesterday, with something really soft. It has hardened today with over 6000 connections/second at some point (I nullrouted the ip since then).

Things should be back within less than 24 hours, right for the monday trading. If anyone who understands Russian can report/translate what's being told in the Russian forums, I guess this could be interesting too.

I'll update this post as things evolve.

UPDATE May 1st 12:00 JST: I've requested a new server from a specific provider which is used to handle DDoS attacks and provide guarantees. I confirmed on phone that servers are usually up within less than 24 hours, and negociated for it to go even faster.

UPDATE May 1st 14:00 JST: DDoS strenght have subsided a bit, system is back with current protections running. Had to increase conntrack buffer and a few things, but for now it holds together. Move to a system capable to mitigate such DDoS attacks is still planned.

UPDATE May 1st 17:00 JST: DDoS suddently stopped for no visible reason. Graphs are back to normal (even lower than that since we moved a lot of things to mitigate load). Will still get ready for more anyway.
Pages:
Jump to: