Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 131. (Read 908613 times)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10
February 17, 2014, 06:46:39 AM
damn, I wish I had fiat on gox now... the price is going up already. Once Europe and the US wakes up, the price will go up again..!
February 17, 2014, 06:41:55 AM
yeah, finally some good news.

let's see how the market will respond to this..!
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
February 17, 2014, 06:39:51 AM
update out!

https://www.mtgox.com/img/pdf/20140217-Announcement.pdf

"With this new system in place, MtGox should be able to resume withdrawals
soon. At the beginning we will do so at a moderated pace and with new daily/
monthly limits in place to prevent any problems with the new system and to take
into account current market conditions. "
"
In order to launch the new system, we are going through the following steps:"
"
-" Re-indexing the entire Blockchain (approx. 32 million entries)"
-" Fully deploying the new NTX ID"
-" Implementing a new bitcoin withdrawal queue that needs to be tested"
"
We will update everyone again by Thursday at the latest. "
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
February 17, 2014, 05:37:50 AM
>>but we will be doing extensive testing before bitcoin
withdrawals are reactivated. We will publish an update on the situation on
Monday .<<

https://www.mtgox.com/img/pdf/20140215-BTC-transfers.pdf

It's 6 PM in Tokyo now. Where is the promised update?

Last time they said "we will release an update moday", it was at 7 PM Tokyo time :

They must in great pain now for how to release the update.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
February 17, 2014, 05:29:29 AM
Hi

does anyone knows why they have removed direct wire deposit to their account?

i ve seen they have added money polo

and you need to get verified by moneypolo to be able to deposit even if you have been verified by gox

so they are goxing u in a way or the other.......

a double-verification gox which in turn creates a double malleable transaction double spend and you wait double the time to see the funds land and double again to withdraw. i'm doubly confused now!
February 17, 2014, 05:28:21 AM
Hi

and you need to get verified by moneypolo to be able to deposit even if you have been verified by gox

I have been with Gox since Jan 2014 and I always saw this message. The only deposits I have been making are through SEPA with my EURO account. I wanted to use my other accounts but I didn't want to go through the verification process with MoneyPolo.

Not sure why it was not showing in your account before. When did last try to deposit money? maybe you didn't see it.
Activity: 378
February 17, 2014, 05:06:30 AM
Hi

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
February 17, 2014, 05:05:58 AM
What is a story behing this new btc withdraw queue?
I think they wont limit btc withdraw but introduce this new delay tactic. Horrible. When will nightmire end.

I don't know what the story is, but whenever bitcoin withdrawals on MtGox are open again (better to say: if ever), you will probably face the impacts of another technical problem of the bitcoin protocol much sooner as expected: the blocksize limit of 1MB. The protocol can't handle a flood of transactions right now. Even under normal conditions 500kb blocks have not been a rare case in the last months. When 1MB is reached even for a small period of time, transactions will pile up, miners/mining pools will have to restart the daemons every once in a while to clean up the memory pool, and valid transcations will get lost or not be processed. Transaction fees will eventually rise sharply. Furthermore, you won't be too happy when MtGox stops the service. Tranfers made between MtGox wallets don't go through the bitcoin network. A missing MtGox will result in much more real transactions and this will push the network nearer to the limit. I hope MtGox will be wise enough to make a withdrawal queue for bitcoin, wich carefully stacks up transcations and broadcasts them in a decent manner... but on the other hands, when have they ever been wise?

How does a newbie (with a max total of 3 posts) come up with a credible post about the impact?

says the guy with negative trust and a warning under his name... Cheesy
Activity: 539
Merit: 517
February 17, 2014, 05:04:03 AM
Monday .<<

Last time they said "we will release an update moday", it was at 7 PM Tokyo time :
February 17, 2014, 05:02:42 AM
Monday .<<

the silence speaks volumes, as does trading platforms removing gox as their price-up comparison.
Activity: 70
February 17, 2014, 04:57:52 AM
Monday .<<

February 17, 2014, 03:02:54 AM
I think they wont limit btc withdraw but introduce this new delay tactic. Horrible. When will nightmire end.

I don't know what the story is, but whenever bitcoin withdrawals on MtGox are open again (better to say: if ever), you will probably face the impacts of another technical problem of the bitcoin protocol much sooner as expected: the blocksize limit of 1MB. The protocol can't handle a flood of transactions right now. Even under normal conditions 500kb blocks have not been a rare case in the last months. When 1MB is reached even for a small period of time, transactions will pile up, miners/mining pools will have to restart the daemons every once in a while to clean up the memory pool, and valid transcations will get lost or not be processed. Transaction fees will eventually rise sharply. Furthermore, you won't be too happy when MtGox stops the service. Tranfers made between MtGox wallets don't go through the bitcoin network. A missing MtGox will result in much more real transactions and this will push the network nearer to the limit. I hope MtGox will be wise enough to make a withdrawal queue for bitcoin, wich carefully stacks up transcations and broadcasts them in a decent manner... but on the other hands, when have they ever been wise?

With a burst of 10's of thousands of transactions, bitcoin is fine.
Transactions queue up, they get into blocks, and reasonably quickly get cleared out so your 'poolsz' gets back down to manageable levels (i.e. manageable being transactions getting through next block or so, most of the time)

This problem won't show up until a large company starts using bitcoin ... e.g. something like amazon or google or ...
That's when bitcoin will die.

This seems to be a much larger issue than malleability... do all the other coins have the same problem?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
February 17, 2014, 02:25:33 AM

With a burst of 10's of thousands of transactions, bitcoin is fine.
Transactions queue up, they get into blocks, and reasonably quickly get cleared out so your 'poolsz' gets back down to manageable levels (i.e. manageable being transactions getting through next block or so, most of the time)

This problem won't show up until a large company starts using bitcoin ... e.g. something like amazon or google or ...
That's when bitcoin will die.
February 17, 2014, 12:53:35 AM

Have you raised the issue to Gox about that? or with other core developers? what is their reaction to this?
Activity: 364
American1973
February 16, 2014, 06:31:38 PM

[...]

I really hope they master their obstacles and proove enough financial know how to stick to legal laws. Otherwise the next blow to Bitcoins is pre-programmed.

Good post.  So far the best obstacle mastered was the screwed customer with a sign.

Goxman used the "I am walking through you" technique.  A true nerdmaster push move and the dude gave way.  He didn't trip him or even smack his coffee, he just acknowledged the 'nerd push' and let Goxman inside wit coffee and 'brella.  Priceless.

Anyway I am still bullish and long all crypto.  But this is how nerds act 'bitchy' with one another.  Just like this.
Activity: 72
February 16, 2014, 06:20:26 PM
coini you are a prophet  Smiley

now tell us if the 1MB block limit will kill BTC, because it does not allow a large number of transactions? how can btc work 5 years from now when the normal throughput of transactions will be much higher than today?
What? Despite the existence of transaction fee's (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees) the Bitcoin network can't cope with bigger throughput of transactions Huh I hardly believe that. Isn't it that way: who pays the most fee will be priorized first. Can anyone agree on Bitcoin either failing with bigger throughputs of transactions or it just creates the need to increase the fee ?

could you take your newbie talk somewhere else, please?
Newbie, as the transaction ID manipulation? Almighty, come down your throne, and enlighten the asking with a simple 1. yes/ 2. no/ 3. maybe, but too complicated to explain, to go quicker on this.
February 16, 2014, 06:18:18 PM
IT´S ON!!!

"MtGox: We are proud to announce that we have fixed all the problems, and the price will be readjusted to 1200$(where it belongs). Howewer, unfortunately all our personal wallets have been deleted during the fixing process,
but we can assure you that nothing has been stolen. Deposits are now enabled again. As an excuse we offer free trading fees for the  first 6 hours of tomorrow. We thank you for your patience and loyalty and are looking forward to provide our service for you"

Best Wishes

Mt.Gox Team

wouldn't touch it with yours fonzie.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
February 16, 2014, 06:09:53 PM
IT´S ON!!!

"MtGox: We are proud to announce that we have fixed all the problems, and the price will be readjusted to 1200$(where it belongs). Howewer, unfortunately all our personal wallets have been deleted during the fixing process,
but we can assure you that nothing has been stolen. Deposits are now enabled again. As an excuse we offer free trading fees for the  first 6 hours of tomorrow. We thank you for your patience and loyalty and are looking forward to provide our service for you"

Best Wishes

Mt.Gox Team
ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019
February 16, 2014, 06:04:01 PM
coini you are a prophet  Smiley

now tell us if the 1MB block limit will kill BTC, because it does not allow a large number of transactions? how can btc work 5 years from now when the normal throughput of transactions will be much higher than today?
What? Despite the existence of transaction fee's (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees) the Bitcoin network can't cope with bigger throughput of transactions Huh I hardly believe that. Isn't it that way: who pays the most fee will be priorized first. Can anyone agree on Bitcoin either failing with bigger throughputs of transactions or it just creates the need to increase the fee ?

could you take your newbie talk somewhere else, please?
Jump to: